New York Jets General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The things you come across while searching for something else, this for example, which I know many here will disagree with myself included, but at the same time Davis's collegiate arc -- walk-on, always underestimated despite having great speed -- fits that of overachieving lunchpail types:

Ashtyn Davis/Nationality
Santa Cruz, California native, Ashtyn Davis was born on 10th October 1996, under the star sign Libra. The twenty-four years hold an American nationality and is of white ethnic background. Regarding his physique, he stands 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) tall and weighs 202 lb (92 kg).

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
The things you come across while searching for something else, this for example, which I know many here will disagree with myself included, but at the same time Davis's collegiate arc -- walk-on, always underestimated despite having great speed -- fits that of overachieving lunchpail types:

Ashtyn Davis/Nationality
Santa Cruz, California native, Ashtyn Davis was born on 10th October 1996, under the star sign Libra. The twenty-four years hold an American nationality and is of white ethnic background. Regarding his physique, he stands 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) tall and weighs 202 lb (92 kg).

Here's a highlight video of Davis. In the beginning it shows what I assume is his family. They look white.

Warning! The music in this video is horrible so you might want to mute it. How white people can listen to bad music made by blacks who hate them using autotune is beyond me.
Autotune sounds terrible.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Davis's father may or may not be mixed. Certainly curly hair isn't conclusive of anything. There are Whites that some think are mixed that aren't, Babe Ruth with his broad nose and swarthiness being a good example yet there is no evidence that he was anything but German-American.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Davis seems to pass the eye ball test but his father is indeed partially black. I hate to nitpick but in modern society anyone who can claim black ancestry has an advantage. So for me I can’t really root for Davis.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Davis seems to pass the eye ball test but his father is indeed partially black. I hate to nitpick but in modern society anyone who can claim black ancestry has an advantage. So for me I can’t really root for Davis.
This should about end the debate about Davis he has some African ancestry, his father is a former indie band club musician who "explored" his blackness and at one point was addicted to crack cocaine.

If I saw his father on the street and saw his last name I would probably think he was a Jew who had an ancestor change his name to an Anglo-Saxon name, but his father had a White mother and a Black father but that still doesn't mean his the grandfather of Davis Jr. is a full blooded African type...https://goodtimes.sc/cover-stories/ashtyn-davis-nfl-father-santa-cruz-legacy/

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The father is about 1/4 Black, so even though Ashtyn looks mixed he's blue-eyed and to the average DWF watching on TV he looks White and has been treated that way in college, so maybe the "scouting services" and "draft experts" saw him as a White kid.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I've been following the Jets after the draft. They had a lot of high picks, including the number 2 pick, but they badly screwed up the draft. They are, for the most part, being praised by the media and the DWFs.

They did very well in drafting Zach Wilson with the number 2 pick. He has the potential to be a star player at football's most important position. Unfortunately they screwed up the rest of the draft. Wilson may end up with a career path similar to Sam Darnold with no help on offense.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
For whatever it's worth:

4. NYJ - WR Braxton Berrios carving out a role

Source: The Athletic - Connor Hughes

New York Jets WR Braxton Berrios is establishing himself as QB Zach Wilson's 'safety blanket' during OTAs, according to Connor Hughes of The Athletic.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

It's an interesting note to be sure. Berrios can break ankles in the open field and is super quick on underneath routes. It may not amount to much fantasy value in the regular season, but it's important to note how much Wilson is leaning on him in OTAs. Jamison Crowder is set to be the team's slot receiver, but the team wants him to take a 'significant' pay cut. If anything happens there, Berrios could move up the depth chart.

icsept

Master
We know Wilson is comfortable throwing to White receivers. Hopefully this training camp hype turns into regular season success.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I do hope Wilson's career trajectory is different than Darnold's in New York. Gase really hurt the development of Darnold, hopefully the new regime with a new OC is a little bit more innovative. Their draft was pretty bad though - the whole BYU O-line should of been drafted IMO. The neglect to draft Milne or Bushman (or sign him as an UDFA) was a typical Jets move. The Jets GM is a run of the mill caste clown - they better hope that their hyped up black LT is actually capable of being a franchise offensive tackle and their OL from USC drafted in the first pans out as well.

James Morgan is another name to watch, he was a 3rd rounder out of FIU in the 2020 draft. I'll be curious to see how he performs during OTAs/Training camp.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Some of these GMs do stupid things. There are reasons why some teams are always losing.

The Jets had two good slot receivers on the team, Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios. So GM Joe Douglas signs another one in free agency, Keelan Cole. Then the Jets, desperate for offensive line help, spent a high 2nd round draft pick on yet another slot receiver, Elijah Moore, They could have taken a much needed offensive tackle such as Sam Cosmi, Walker Little, Liam Eichenberg, or Dillon Radunz with that 2nd round pick.. Instead they have 4 slot receivers.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Jets are now without their 2 big name FA signings at DE - Vinny Curry and Carl Lawson both lost for the season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Mike White getting the start this week again. He has supposedly generated some buzz around the league and may be a somewhat sought after free agent as long as his solid play continues.

Truthteller

Mentor
42 to 1?

No, that's not some blowout score from a random 4th grade softball/kickball between the boys and the girls.

That's the numbers crunched on the Jets defense this season: 42 nonwhite's; 1 white!

That's counting everything -- 53 man roster, practice squad, injured reserve. It might even be worse, if you count black players who spent one week to couple weeks on the roster/p-squad and were cut.

How did we get here and why is no one else even noticing? Did anyone think it'd ever get this bad? Giants are eerily similar?

Only "white" on the Jet's roster is Blake Cashman, who has been relegated to just three games due to injury. No surprise, he's always injured. One of the few whites not drafted in the top 3 rounds and given a clear chance to start, but he's always injured?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
To the amazement of the DWFs, the White tight end will likely beat out the non-White one, as is almost always the case. Good news about Berrios as well in this blurb:

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports Jets TE Tyler Conklin “might be separating himself” as the favorite to start Week 1.
Conklin was one of the risers of Jets' OTAs with C.J. Uzomah and rookie TE Jeremy Ruckert missing time. Braxton Berrios has been Zach Wilson's top target in the slot, but the second-year quarterback is "looking to his new tight end in the red zone." The Jets are paying starters money to both Conklin ($7M APR) and Uzomah ($8M), making it likely they'll open the season in a committee. Conklin profiles as the better fit for red-zone and pass-down snaps.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good for Conklin! Wilson needs as much help as he can get.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just took a look at the Jets depth chart and it's pretty sickening. Zach Wilson and center Conner McGovern are the only overachievers currently listed as starters. Tyler Conklin is better than C. J. Uzomah at tight end and will probably eventually be the starter, but as of now Uzomah is listed as the starter, as almost always happens when a team has a White TE and a Black one. Nick Bawden is listed as the fullback but I don't think the Jets ever use a fullback so he's likely just a WSTD.

Their o-line was horrible last year and is still 4/5 sumo as currently listed. I'm rooting for Wilson to succeed but he'll have his work cut out for him. The Jets did spend early draft capital on a running back and receiver, but if the line sucks again it won't matter.

There's not a single White defensive player listed on the current NYJ depth chart going three deep.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Saleh, the mystery meat HC has assembled quite the group of losers. Wilson is going to have a rough year, I hope he's gained some weight. He's going to get smacked around a lot.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Hard to believe this team had jim leonhard playing just a few years ago at safety. That guy gave his all in every play. Wasn’t particularly big I don’t think but was never afraid to take anyone on.

I used to be a fan but I moved and so New Jersey can keep these clowns. Just an awful team in a terrible league.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Also hard to believe that in the early 80s this was the team I grew up watching Now not a single white guy on defense?

Remember the New York sack exchange ?

gastineau and his ridiculous sack dances (but he was a terror)

Joe Klecko the total beast of a d lineman?

upload_2022-7-20_22-32-32.jpeg

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Also hard to believe that in the early 80s this was the team I grew up watching Now not a single white guy on defense?

View attachment 3549

80s seem like a lifetime ago in caste years..

Phall

Master

View attachment 3549

Joe Klecko's son Dan wasn't well-known but caught playoff touchdown passes from both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady during a long NFL career.

Joe is a nice guy; he has showed up at the local public high school to give motivational talks to the football team. The problem with his speaking is that he's got a slight lazy eye and absolutely mangled fingers from his NFL days. So when he barks at some terrified teenagers and points at them to do some drill, even though he commands total attention, no one knows exactly who he is looking at or pointing to.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
80s seem like a lifetime ago in caste years..
It was a lifetime really. It’s when all this nonsense began accelerating.

that jets d line was really solid but impossible to reproduce now I think.

oh well, I can’t call myself a fan anymore but it’s fun to wax nostalgic occasionally.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Zach Wilson was sacked 8 times in 22 dropbacks today in practice thanks to his so-called "offensive line." If Wilson gets terrible protection again this year all the finger pointing will of course be directed at him. I can see the same thing happening to Daniel Jones as well. I saw a stat tonight that the two New York teams are tied for the worst record in the league since 2017, and a big reason for it is they have garbage o-lines year after year. The tweet below notes that Wilson has been looking good when he has time to throw.

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/stat...ets-offensive-line-zach-wilson-training-camp/

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Jets signed Alex Erickson. He’s up to 4K return yards and 1k receiving in his career. Not bad for a walk-on and Udfa. I’m a firm believer he’d be closer to 4K receiving if he was given a chance in wr rotation.