need advice for my son

My son is just in the 8th grade but is a standout. He played first string tail back and first string linebacker last year and we moved. This year he has a black coach that only plays blacks in the back field. No white runs the ball. My son has more control, remembers all the plays, and is faster than any black kid on the team. He was put first string cornerback. My son has always excelled at football. He loves it and dreams of playing in the nfl as a running back. He knows they don't put whites in that position as well but he wont quit. He is not giving up at school either. Any chance in practice he gets to play tailback, he does it and he is unstoppable gaining huge yardage against first string defense. He is very upset and other kids on the team see that he is the best person for the position, but the color of his skin is holding him back. This is not fair and it is racism if you ask me. What do we do? He is 13 weighs 150 is 5'10 and runs the 40 in 4.57, he was even told by the coach that he runs like a black person because of his speed. We also see that cornerbacks are not white in nfl and not many in college. He also plays this position well, can intercept the ball, forces fumbles and recovers to run several yards. I want him to be able to follow his dreams and need advice as to what we need to do.

G

What is the race of his future high school coach? If he is in 8th grade, he should only have to put up with this racist coach for one year, right?

Are there any nearby private schools that he could attend? As a great athlete, they might find some scholarship or grant money to help him attend.

There are two private schools with very good programs that we are considering. His high school coach will be different. The thing that bothers me is that we come from a 5A school with 170 kids to choose from on the team and he was picked first string tailback and fullback. Here at this school, it is smaller and only 65 kids to pick from. There are 3 whites that play first string offense the rest are black. 4 on defense. second string there is the same. Other white students just set on the bench. The ones that play are mainly on the line. My son is first string cornerback which was amazing, and he is happy with that but knows that he is more qualified for the tailback position than either the first or second string that is playing now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
hubbiesapplepie, welcome to Caste Football and thanks for asking about this. That is more than a lot of parents would do. I'm from the Mississippi Delta and know that many coaches in the MHSAA slot players based on race, not ability. I would first consider having your husband talk to someone on the coaching staff, if not the coach himself, about it. If your son is the athlete you claim and everyone in the school and communityknows it, the coach may be forced into switching him to TB. Knowing the MPSA andOle Miss, Mississippi State, and Southern Miss recruiters like I do, your son would stand little chance of being recruited to play CB or TB from a private school. He might have a shot at going to Delta State, but even they are very biased against MPSA schools in their recruiting practices, although their current starting RB is from Indianola Academy. If the coach won't let him run it, just wait till next year when a "fair" coach will hopefully evaluate him based on his ability and let him get reps at TB. If he's that good, he'll probably start in high school, but if next year he doesn't get evaluated or treated fairly, I would consider transferring to a different school, preferably a public one. If you have to go to a MPSA school, and you live close to Jackson, send him to Jackson Prep or Jackson Academy, or maybe even MRA. Those schools have the most exposure and produce the most college players of anyMPSA schoolsin the state. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

We prefer not to go the private school route. I told him that this is just the 8th grade and it is not as much a big deal until high school.. We will wait and see how that goes. There are several white players from the team talking of quitting the team because of the prejudice of the coach

white is right

Hall of Famer
I got news for you unless your kid already had his puberty growth spurt he will be a huge adult. He will probably out grow tailback and play tight end at a higher level. 5'10" 150 (I'm assuming in shape) is massive for 13. As a reference point I was a late bloomer and was about 5'2" and 90 pounds at that age and I grew to 5'11" 160(not lifting weights)as a senior in high school. There was a guy about your size in my junior high and he played hockey and grew to 6'4" and 220+ and ended up playing low level pro hockey.

no one in our family is over 6ft and he is in shape, he still actually looks skinny with muscular arms. My oldest son is in 10th grade and is almost 6 ft now and is 160.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
hubbiesapplepie said:
We prefer not to go the private school route. I told him that this is just the 8th grade and it is not as much a big deal until high school.. We will wait and see how that goes. There are several white players from the team talking of quitting the team because of the prejudice of the coach

This coach and his practices sounds like a problem that a group of parents needs to get together and stop, maybe through the administration of the school. Either way, you are right about it not mattering so much until high school. Hopefully your son will remain a good back as he grows and gets older. He might end up being better suited to CB or WR based on the build you mentioned that he has, but if he is the best RB out there, he should be the RB, no question about it. Its just cut and dry. If the coach evaluated all the players equally and your son came out on top, there is no reason, other than the coach's prejudice, that your son shouldn't be the starting RB.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

white is right

Hall of Famer
Okay then he might grow just about 2 inches or so and still be in the tailback range. Anyway if it was me I would talk with the coach and ask him why he made this evaluation. Ask in a PC way why there wasn't an open tryout. Maybe bring up the reverse and the black quarterback angle. Just don't be too aggressive.

Kaptain

Master
What would a modern-day black father do if the roles were reversed(edit: should say black mother - black fathers don't exist)? Do what he (she) would do. Don't cower, confront the coach. Ask him if his son isn't playing tailback because he is white? When he denies it tell him he is full of sh!t and remind him of the comments he has made "runs like a black man." That's a racist comment right there. Then organize the white parents and try, although it will probably be in vain, to get them to speak up. White people get stepped on because they are too polite. Be an arsehole. If you don't do something now, chances are even with a different coach things will not change. It will be harder for any coach to justify sitting a black player that has been the previous years starting tail-back if favor of a white kid.

Othewise consider a different place to live or pay to go to a private school.Edited by: Kaptain Poop

white is right

Hall of Famer
Pooper this is the South. If you go off on the ignoramus. You will come off as a racist. This whole situation could get blown out of proportion. Who knows what this guy could do. He could take the matter to the school board and make this a civil rights issue(for him) or some other thing. I wouldn't do it and I look Italian looking, I definately wouldn't do it If I looked Anglo-Saxon looking. Just my 2 cents.

Observer

Mentor
I've seen two high school kids with pro measurables languish on the bench. Smart kids too, but quiet. I've also seen several kids who should have been 3rd string in the starter role.
IDEAS:
1. Talk to the coach, as mentioned above. Better yet, run for the school board. At least in some towns, from what I've seen, community influence of the parents makes a big difference in playing time of the child.
2. HE WILL NEED TO DRAW ATTENTION TO HIMSELF BY PARTICIPATING IN A MORE "OBJECTIVE" SPORT. Track would be the clearest choice, although some of the other individual sports might work, also. If he has any aptitude for hurdling (which from his height and speed would seem possible) that might be an eye-catcher for a running back, as would the short sprints.
3. Maybe your son should be more obnoxious. I hate to say it, but it works with some coaches. As they say, any advertising is good advertising.
4. Let things work out. If it's meant to be, maybe the kids in front of your son will get have to sit out for some reason (eligibility, injuries, suspension, sick, etc.) Waiting for the opportunity is much better than #3, I think. One of those "pro" kids I mentioned above finally got his playing time when the guy in front of him went done, and the coach would have looked way too foolish re-benching a kid who's making a first down every time he touches the ball.
5. Display a banner at the games with a sketch of a player running for a touchdown with your son's number on the jersey. I know this sounds stupid, but little things like this sometimes work.

I wish you well.Edited by: Observer

Kaptain

Master
white is right said:
Pooper this is the South. If you go off on the ignoramus. You will come off as a racist. This whole situation could get blown out of proportion. Who knows what this guy could do. He could take the matter to the school board and make this a civil rights issue(for him) or some other thing. I wouldn't do it and I look Italian looking, I definately wouldn't do it If I looked Anglo-Saxon looking. Just my 2 cents.

I think I would use the words "stand up for yourself" rather than "go-off." I expect white men to act like white men not like bruthas even when they are angry.

School boards can't fire parents.

I guess your other option is to have a hot cup of "shut your damn mouth whitey" and pay for private school, but before I pay thousands of dollars so my son could play tailback I sure would get my two cents worth in.

Well there is one more option, you could find the coaches weakness and suck up to him. Usually for black men that means either white women, free booze or drugs, and cajun style BBQs. What's your wife look like? If she is fat, blonde, and has a driver's license, then perfect! Stock your liquor cabinet with some 40's and freezer with Baby-back ribs. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

Alpha Male

Mentor
Introduceyour son to Castefootball's excellent articles. Encourage him read articles that obliterate the black athletic superiority myth, and illustrate white discrimination in sport; that alone will strengthen his already sound confidence. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I would speak with the coach about his comment: "...that he runs like a black person because of his speed." Imagine a white teacher telling a black student that he or she has the intellect ofa white person because of excellent grades. <O:p></O:p>

In addition, arm yourself with excellent training info. Most high school football coaches do little -if any at all- speed work. Their idea of speed work is repeat 40's with no rest, which does bunk for acceleration and power. Check out the products at http://www.athletesacceleration.com/ They have some great speed programs that will decrease your son's 40 time, which by the way is fantastic, esp. when considering his age.

Maybe you could speak about Caste Football to the fathers of the other dejected white players. The more awareness we create, the better.

Good luck!

Here is a link to the training website:

http://www.athletesacceleration.com/

Edited by: Alpha Male

Thank you all for your advice. And by the way KaptainPoop, I am the wife...lmao. Yep I am a mom that loves the game of football and knows what her son is capable of doing. I have been watching, and supporting him in the sport and baseball since he was in youth sports. I am so happy to have found this site as well. My son has been reading some of the articles and he loves it too. He will not back down, as a matter of fact, at every practice he asks over and over again if he can play at tailback for a few plays. He is very consistent with this. He come home yesterday and said that he did get to run the ball a few times at tailback, against the first string defense and was untouched twice and made a 30 yard run once.
I plan on having a conference with the coach and asking him what my son needs to work so that he can be a prospect for running the ball. (I know he does not need improving), but just so I can get it out in the open. What ever he tells me I will make notes and we will make sure my son is at the top of his game in these areas and then if he is still over looked then I will be an arse as you say..We have rights too they just are not as important if your skin is white. I would love to be able to have a make up artist make my son look black for a week and pretend to be a new student trying out for the team. Then when put on first string as tailback he could wash off the makeup and say huh imagine that!!

Alpha Male, He does take other training as well. He takes speed and agility lessons three times a week which I have to pay dearly for. His trainer is also a college recruit scout so that helps in that department hopefully, but the trainer is black (but is very good at it and is very good with my son). This is my son's dream and I teach them to never give up on their dreams, because hard work and determination will pay off in the end.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I may be very wrong about this but you just may be the first female to ever post on Caste Football that was not a troll. In any case, a female poster is very rare. So a very special welcome to Caste Football on behalf of all of us is warranted. Good luck with your son and I hope I see him playing on a Sunday some day.

Alpha Male

Mentor
She may be the first female poster guest301, but not the first female member. My girlfriend is a member, but has yet to post. She is racially aware, deplores the portrayal of white men in commercials, and is a supporter of white athletes. All before I even talked about Caste Football. She's a keeper<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />
smiley2.gif
</V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE></V:IMAGE></V:SHAPE><O:p></O:p>

Why is she different then so may other girls?In addition tobeing naturally intuitive and individualistic, she was home schooled and had a strong father figure who encouraged education, individualism, and ethnic pride, and thus, wasn't subjected to the brainwashing social indoctrination that has become our education.

Hopefully, McGuffie, Hester, and other white running backs in college and pro will open up the doorway for your son when he is of age. Nice job having him work with a talent scout, and continue the excellent work.Edited by: Alpha Male

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't think she is the first female poster, but it has been a rare thing here. Its good to know that you are looking out for your son, hubbiesapplepie. Its great to know that young athletes and their parents are visiting and reading Caste Football. I think this has to happen, along with personal action against the Caste System, before we will see big changes. Don't be a stranger to the board. Kaptain forgets to read all of the posts sometimes, so pay him no mind in that regard.
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
She actually had to come out and say she is a woman before you guys figured it out? What, the name 'hubbiesappliepie' didn't give you a clue? Bwahahahaa
smiley36.gif

Sorry guys, just having some fun busting your chops.

Welcome aboard, appliepie.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We've had a few mothers and fathers start similar threads in the College and High School forums, and an aunt too. There was a young girl posting here for a while named Libpunkchick or something like that. Some others have registered but not posted.

Thank you all for welcoming me and I will continue to read posts and be an active member. I will keep you updated as well on our progress with the school.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
welcome to Caste Football, hubbiesapplepie.

the main thing is to always make sure your son never gives up believing in himself. there will always be many who want to tear him down and tell him he isn't good enough simply because of his skin color (i saw this happen this past Friday night at a football game, believe it or not). but if he believes in himself, works his butt off, and has support from those who are truly important (his friends and family) then he will be successful whether he gets a fair shot on the football field or not.

best of luck to him.
smiley1.gif

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
There was a woman here last year, "Cekroprian," saying she is Portland State RB Cory McCaffrey`s aunt. Some people couldn`t figure out it was a woman on that thread until she said so in her second post.
smiley2.gif

Kaptain

Master
White Shogun said:
She actually had to come out and say she is a woman before you guys figured it out? What, the name 'hubbiesappliepie' didn't give you a clue? Bwahahahaa
smiley36.gif

Sorry guys, just having some fun busting your chops.

Welcome aboard, appliepie.

You got me.
smiley36.gif
I never really looked at her name. It's great to know that she is not a homosexual though. FYI: Per another happy hour thread, the word "queer" is strickly reserved for well-reasoned arguements by Don Wasall.

Welcome to board applepie.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I stand corrected, I am glad we have had a few more females posting here than I thought. I hope we get more in the future.