need advice for my son

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
FYI: Per another happy hour thread, the word "queer" is strickly reserved for well-reasoned arguements by Don Wasall.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

white is right said:
I got news for you unless your kid already had his puberty growth spurt he will be a huge adult. He will probably out grow tailback and play tight end at a higher level. 5'10" 150 (I'm assuming in shape) is massive for 13. As a reference point I was a late bloomer and was about 5'2" and 90 pounds at that age and I grew to 5'11" 160(not lifting weights)as a senior in high school. There was a guy about your size in my junior high and he played hockey and grew to 6'4" and 220+ and ended up playing low level pro hockey.

As a shorter athlete, I have to say that size really doesn't play that big of a role in competition. In the end, it always comes down to raw brutatlity and who wants it more. I can think of dozens upon dozens of guys (both past and present) in all sports who are shorter than the majority of their competition an they still dominated on the field and ice. Here are a few:

Wes Welker (NFL) 5'9"
Zac Thomas (NFL) 5'11"
Tim Dwight (NFL) 5'8"
Tie Domi (one of the best to drop the gloves, NHL) 5'10"
Darcy Tucker (NHL) 5'10"
Matt Serra (UFC) 5'6"
Theo Fleury (NHL) 5'6"
Mugsy Bogues (NBA) 5'5"
Martin St. Louis (NHL) 5'8"
Darren Sproles (NFL) 5'7"
Cliff Ronning (NHL) 5'8"
P.J. Stock (notoriously tough ex-player, NHL) 5'9"

However, size does play a HUGE role in the recruiting process. And, unfortunately, most scouts and recruiters are idiots who still seem to think that an athlete just HAS to fit a certain physical profile in order to be considered for a position on a particular team. I'm 5'9", not 6'1", and I'm not making excuses for myself, but those 4 inches are what probably the reason why I played division 3 college hockey instead of division 1 college hockey. Unfortunately, thats just the way it is a lot of the time.

I was a late bloomer as well. Freshman year of high school hockey I was 5'1, 110 lbs. After four years of playing hockey and lifting weights I grew to a very well muscled 5'9", 200 lbs., which is where I stand today. I'd rather be the 5'9" 200 lb. guy than the 6'4" 220 lb. guy any day of the week. Because when an open ice hit takes place, guess whos got the lower center of gravity? Thats right, the shorter guy.

Once you get on the playing surface, size is all hype anyway. And the athletes I listed above are proof of that. I grew up watching a 5'10", 185 lb. Tie Domi beat the snot out of opponents twice his size on the ice in NHL fights. It may sound cliche, but its not about the size of the dog in the fight, its about the size of the fight in the dog. At least thats the motto I always followed, and I managed to survive 4 years of division 3 college hockey in one piece.

Anyway, I hope my little pep-talk inspired at least one person here. If it didn't, I'll just go crawl back into my hole for the remainder of the day.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Ground Fighter

hubbiesapplepie said:
There are several white players from the team talking of quitting the team because of the prejudice of the coach

Thats your cue to step in MOM and DAD. Get in that coach's face and call him out publically on his bullsh*t. The only way to fix trouble sometimes is to cause more.

Also, hose White players have a defeatest attitude. Instead of quitting, they should stay and change things to better suit them and the rest of the White players on that team. Little things can be very productive. Tell them to form alliances with other Whire players. Have them hit thier black teammates just a little bit harder in practice on every play. Let them know that they are there. Edited by: Ground Fighter

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
Have them hit thier black teammates just a little bit harder in practice on every play. Let them know that they are there.
smiley32.gif

i attended an all-white school that played quite a few black schools and had a good amount of success in basketball, football, and track. needless to say, in basketball and football being more, er, "physical" got the homeboys attention right quick and got us wins, too.
smiley2.gif

this applies even today when i play pick-up basketball in gyms filled mostly with blacks. being aggressive, out spoken, and tough earns respect, when being passive and "friendly" gets you left on the sidelines, if not jumped outright by several of the darker crowd. nothing dirty, just hard, clean ball playing. of course, you have to be ready to handle the inevitable that will eventually come your way, but that is what it takes if you want to be a white athlete these days.

don't take crap off of anyone, especially blacks. they feed off weakness, but they are intimidated by strength.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
white is right said:
I got news for you unless your kid already had his puberty growth spurt he will be a huge adult. He will probably out grow tailback and play tight end at a higher level. 5'10" 150 (I'm assuming in shape) is massive for 13. As a reference point I was a late bloomer and was about 5'2" and 90 pounds at that age and I grew to 5'11" 160(not lifting weights)as a senior in high school. There was a guy about your size in my junior high and he played hockey and grew to 6'4" and 220+ and ended up playing low level pro hockey.

As a shorter athlete, I have to say that size really doesn't play that big of a role in competition. In the end, it always comes down to raw brutatlity and who wants it more. I can think of dozens upon dozens of guys (both past and present) in all sports who are shorter than the majority of their competition an they still dominated on the field and ice. Here are a few:

Wes Welker (NFL) 5'9"
Zac Thomas (NFL) 5'11"
Tim Dwight (NFL) 5'8"
Tie Domi (one of the best to drop the gloves, NHL) 5'10"
Darcy Tucker (NHL) 5'10"
Matt Serra (UFC) 5'6"
Theo Fleury (NHL) 5'6"
Mugsy Bogues (NBA) 5'5"
Martin St. Louis (NHL) 5'8"
Darren Sproles (NFL) 5'7"
Cliff Ronning (NHL) 5'8"
P.J. Stock (notoriously tough ex-player, NHL) 5'9"

However, size does play a HUGE role in the recruiting process. And, unfortunately, most scouts and recruiters are idiots who still seem to think that an athlete just HAS to fit a certain physical profile in order to be considered for a position on a particular team. I'm 5'9", not 6'1", and I'm not making excuses for myself, but those 4 inches are what probably the reason why I played division 3 college hockey instead of division 1 college hockey. Unfortunately, thats just the way it is a lot of the time.

I was a late bloomer as well. Freshman year of high school hockey I was 5'1, 110 lbs. After four years of playing hockey and lifting weights I grew to a very well muscled 5'9", 200 lbs., which is where I stand today. I'd rather be the 5'9" 200 lb. guy than the 6'4" 220 lb. guy any day of the week. Because when an open ice hit takes place, guess whos got the lower center of gravity? Thats right, the shorter guy.

Once you get on the playing surface, size is all hype anyway. And the athletes I listed above are proof of that. I grew up watching a 5'10", 185 lb. Tie Domi beat the snot out of opponents twice his size on the ice in NHL fights. It may sound cliche, but its not about the size of the dog in the fight, its about the size of the fight in the dog. At least thats the motto I always followed, and I managed to survive 4 years of division 3 college hockey in one piece.

Anyway, I hope my little pep-talk inspired at least one person here. If it didn't, I'll just go crawl back into my hole for the remainder of the day.
smiley36.gif
No I agree if you are small you need to have unworldly ability to be looked at. I didn't have that and knew it. It's funny but in my late 20's I lifted weights and did circuit training and turned my 400 meter runner build into a 6' 190 pound body and wished that I had that body in high school as I could have kicked ass on the football field.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
white is right said:
Pooper this is the South. If you go off on the ignoramus. You will come off as a racist. This whole situation could get blown out of proportion. Who knows what this guy could do. He could take the matter to the school board and make this a civil rights issue(for him) or some other thing. I wouldn't do it and I look Italian looking, I definately wouldn't do it If I looked Anglo-Saxon looking. Just my 2 cents.

I think I would use the words "stand up for yourself" rather than "go-off." I expect white men to act like white men not like bruthas even when they are angry.

School boards can't fire parents.

I guess your other option is to have a hot cup of "shut your damn mouth whitey" and pay for private school, but before I pay thousands of dollars so my son could play tailback I sure would get my two cents worth in.

Well there is one more option, you could find the coaches weakness and suck up to him. Usually for black men that means either white women, free booze or drugs, and cajun style BBQs. What's your wife look like? If she is fat, blonde, and has a driver's license, then perfect! Stock your liquor cabinet with some 40's and freezer with Baby-back ribs.
I think I was tired when I read it and just saw some sort of scene where another "oppressed" minority will apply for sick leave due to stress....
smiley36.gif
Hey BBQ ribs are about the only reason why I ever going to the ghettos of Niagara Falls NY and Buffalo NY....
smiley2.gif