more of the same ...

green fire317

Banned
yeah i hate vick how could you do that to dogs? they are some of the most loving and loyal creatures on the planet. Even when you are angry they will still come over wag their tail and look up at you with their tongue hanging out of their mouth. and i dont say i "hate" a lot of people. i certainly don't like a number of people (many of whom have been mentioned here at CF) but rarely do i say that i hate someone.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
negro thug NBA player has seen the "error of his ways." this "article" couldn't be more sympathetic toJ.R. Smith if it was written by his own publicist! really, he's a good guy. really. and he's really not a gang member, either. really. and he just made an honestmistake when he killed his best friend while driving recklessly. he's learned from that "mistake."

24 days of "hard time" in jail (protected from the general population but still hard time!) changes a man ... really, it does. of course, it's everyone else who is mistaken about him being a worthless piece of crap, because he's got a good heart!

the only thing left out of the lovefest for thug life isthe announcement thathe has "lots of White friends!"
smiley36.gif

LAKEWOOD, N.J â€" The only gang that ever claimed the Denver Nuggets' J.R. Smith(notes) began to arrive near noon, climbing out of SUVs and cars with gift bags and golf shoes. This was his father and mother, aunts and uncles, a family arriving at the Woodlake Country Club for the charity golf tournament of the NBA's most notorious tweeter.

"I'm not a 'hood guy,"Â Smith told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. "I'm not a street guy. And I'm not a gang member."Â

Across basketball, there's so much talk about Smith needing to leave behind his past, but beyond those tattoos and turbulence, a truth has been lost in the tsk-tsking lectures. His judgment has betrayed him at times, but never his roots.

"J.R. grew up in the woods of Millstone,"Â his father, Earl, said. "There's no Bloods. There's no Crips. The only gangs were the deer."Â

Smith swears he had come out of the most trying 24 days of his life â€" 24 days in jail â€" with the best of intentions, with change in his heart, when he had tweeted about a trip to Las Vegas for a summer basketball camp. Some had suggested that Smith's substituting of "K"Âs for "C"Âs within his innocuous Twitter updates were born of a loyalty to the Bloods.

All hell broke loose, and once more, J.R. Smith had pushed himself into the middle of a mess.

"It never stops," Smith said. "My parents look at me like, ‘Come on, man. What's next?'"Â

Something needs to change. He knows that.. He's 23 years old. He's entering the second year of a $16.5 million contract. He has an important job for an NBA contender. He had a lot of time to think about it in July, alone with his thoughts, his life, in a 6-by-9 prison cell at the Monmouth County jail. Twenty-four days in protective custody â€" 23 hours a day in the cell â€" as punishment for reckless driving in an auto accident that killed his best friend, Andre Bell.

"I deal with it every day," Smith said. ""¦Every time I look at my daughter, I think of him."Â

Smith never did make it to the jail's general population, but a June with the deafening din of the Western Conference finals and a July of the steel doors slamming in his face jarred him to his core. He had one hour a day to shower, eat and to call his girlfriend, his parents and perhaps even hear the gurgling of his infant daughter, Demi, on the pay phone.

As much as anything in jail, the emptiness of those days and nights pushed him to consider a world beyond himself. "Most of the time I was thinking about my daughter and her life, about what plans I have for her," he said. "I was thinking about where I want her to go to school, where I want her to grow up. Now it was more about my family than myself. "¦I don't think that I was considering other people's feelings."Â

That's part of the reason â€" a lot of the reason â€" this Twitter story embarrassed him. His agent, Thad Foucher, had him delete the page and his 15,000 followers, but the damage was done. For so long, Smith had no use for public perception.

Even now, he still says, "I don't care what the grown-ups think."Â Yet, he has sometimes gone too far on the basketball floor and too far off it. Someday, he'll have to pay for it. He's thinking about that now. Someday, Demi will ask him all about it.

"That's what hurts the most," he said. "When my daughter gets to be 16 or 17, and she has a paper to do in high school on her parents and she has to go back and look at these articles about me "¦ all these negative things."Â

The New Orleans Hornets drafted Smith as a teenage prodigy out of St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J., in 2004, and it never worked with Byron Scott. The Hornets moved him to Chicago and then onto the Denver Nuggets three years ago. For too long, he led the league in tardiness and bad shots. He trash-talked opponents and smart-mouthed refs and did end-zone dances over the deepest 3-pointers in the game.

"From the outside looking in, it looks like I'm just some crazy person,"Â he said.

Nevertheless, Nuggets general manager Mark Warkentien had patience with Smith. He gave him the $16.5 million contract and believed that Smith was grown up, that Chauncey Billups(notes) would be a far better influence than Allen Iverson(notes). For an immature player with a penchant for mischief, the Nuggets of A.I., Carmelo Anthony(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes) could sometimes be an intoxicating mix.

"I think I was a follower to an extent," Smith said. "If someone would ask me to do something that was on the borderline, more than likely I'd say, ‘OK, let's go.' Now, I think I see the bigger picture finally."Â

Smith wore a wine-colored golf shirt and hat on Monday and carefully had the pro shop attendant tighten his grips. This has been a restless summer for J.R. Smith, but he's had time to stop and think, time to measure life's risks and rewards, and sooner than later something has to change.

"I think I need to mature and understand what I say before I say it, and what I do before I do it,"Â he said.

He has been lost, but he's no lost cause. It feels like Smith has been around a long time in the NBA, but he's just 23. He doesn't have forever, but he does have time. He was back at the Jersey Shore, back home on Monday and J.R. Smith held that little girl in the air and the truth had never hit him so hard: Someday, she's going to ask him all about it.
awwww .... poor guy. he's just sooooo misunderstood and oppressed.
smiley19.gif
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another great example of the double standard where race, behavior, and sports collide. You'd never see anything close to this for a white athlete. I don't think I've read anything about a black that was this pathetic before. I couldn't even get through the whole thing. But there is no pro-black bias? Yeah, go tell that to the tooth fairy.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
how many insults can be written in a single article? David Brown attempts the record while writing about rookie pitcher Brett Cecil's 2-base error.
smiley7.gif
while it was a foolish mistake, i hardly thinkthe young, White pitcherdeserves the kind of hateful ridicule this author levels at him.

seriously, i can think of numerous blunders that actually cost their team the game. yet, somehow, this p.o.s. insists that this 2-base error that accounted for a single run was the biggest mistake in the history of the Blue Jays.ignore the fact thatthe Blue Jays lost the game 8-1.

let's see how many outrageous insults you can spot in this a-hole's article for Yahoo Sports. additionally, can you think of a SINGLEarticle this hateful that has ever been written by a black baseball player?
smiley87.gif

<H2 =title>Blue Jays pitcher Brett Cecil makes all-time bonehead error</H2>
By David Brown
Toronto celebrated the 20th anniversary of Rogers Centre earlier this season.

American dollars to Canadian doughnuts, I guarantee the two-base error rookie left-hander Brett Cecil(notes) made against the Red Sox on Thursday night was the strangest in the history of the former Skydome.

It might even take the otherwise promising Blue Jays pitcher another 20 years to live it down.

After retrieving a loose ball he wanted tossed out in the fourth inning, Cecil â€" forgetting to call timeout first â€" just chucked the live ball into the Jays dugout as he walked back to the mound.

Brain freeze. Caught: on video!

Umpires sent Jason Bay(notes), who had walked to lead off, to third base because Cecil had thrown the ball out of play. Bay had stopped briefly at second; Cecil's error was so unusual, it took umps a moment to realize Bay deserved another base.

Cecil threw up his arms at first as if to ask, "What did I do?" But he figured it out.

From MLB.com
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"It's pretty obvious I wasn't even thinking about timeout being called or anything," Cecil said. "I saw a scuff mark or some dirt on the ball and I wanted to throw it in; I wanted a new ball. I turned around and chucked it and that was that. The fact didn't even come to my mind that time hadn't been called or anything like that.</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"I pretty much just got out of rhythm when I threw the ball into the dugout." </BLOCKQUOTE>

One out later, Bay scored the go-ahead run on Mike Lowell's(notes) single through a drawn-in infield. The Blue Jays committed three errors in Boston's 8-1 victory, which began to unravel for Toronto after Cecil's unique mistake.

There's a first time for everything, Boston left-hander Jon Lester(notes) said.

<BLOCKQUOTE>

"I've never seen anything like what happened tonight," said Lester, the winning pitcher. "It's just one of those deals where I don't know if you lose concentration, or just think that the ball is dead, or whatever. I don't know what happened. It's just one of those things that actually helped us out, but you hate to see stuff like that happen.</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"The kid's pitching a decent game and something like that can really break your confidence." </BLOCKQUOTE>

Just 23 years old, Cecil has shown dominant stuff from time to time in his first big league season; In five of his 13 starts, he's allowed one or no earned runs.

He didn't want to use his blunder as a crutch in explaining one of his roughest outings of the season, but he admitted it affected him.
<BLOCKQUOTE>

"I was definitely upset about it," Cecil said. "It's nobody's fault but my own, but it shouldn't be tough to regain focus from it. I made a mistake. Whatever. Forget about it." </BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck with that.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Jimmy that is overkill by the author. 20 years to live down one throwing error in a meaningless regular season game? Riiiight!

I think the oddest thing to happen in that stadium is Dave Winfield killing a bird with a thrown ball. (I think it was that stadium).

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Cecil's mistake is hardly worthy of front page news...Yahoo is only good for e-mail...the rest of their "news/commentary" is worthy of lining the bottom of a bird cage.
smiley21.gif