Miscellaneous Boxing News

white is right

Hall of Famer
Lomachenko vs Commey is Sat. night on ESPN at 9 pm et. On Dazn from England, it's Benn vs Algieri. I think Algieri is in tough with Conner Benn. The ring walk will be around 5 pm et.
https://fightnews.com/gulamiryan-egorov-make-weight/125409. These fights are today but I could not find the starting times. They may be on now
Yes Loma should win in a walk against the relatively ordinary Commey, Commey while being a former paper champion isn't special at the world level. Loma's destruction of his last opponent should be a blue print of what this fight should like as the Japanese national took a frightful beating until the fight was stopped. The only question should be if Commey can take a better beating than the Japanese opponent did.

Algieri is big betting under dog, his peak was a good 5 or 6 years ago and he has been relatively inactive since, I'm expecting him to lose and possibly be stopped by the peaking Benn. I do know this if he does tie Benn up in knots and boxes his ears of he should get the decision as if there was ever a fight that a fixed decision would have benefited Matchroom promotions it would have been the Joshua fight against Usyk but the decision was fair. The money for Benn's next fight isn't the stratosphere of the contractual 200M US total purse of the dead in the water Joshua vs Fury fight.

PS. Loma is doing a speed bag drill on Commey after 5 rounds he could be pitching a shutout or is up 4 to 1 in rounds. Commey looks like he will need a miracle bomb that Loma doesn't see to win.

Except for bodywork Commey is looking like he is shadow boxing out there as all of his head shots are short or very wide, maybe he should apply to be a human fly swatter.

Now Commey hit the deck and had his leg fold like a fish tail after getting up from a knockdown in the 7th and after the round the ringside doctor had a long look at Commey.

Commey some how made it to the bell. He took a shellacking like the Japanese opponent for Loma 6 months ago but he was more durable and had a brave corner willing to risk his health for the beating he was taking.

The scoring should be near shutout and possibly have another 10-8 round beside the knockdown round as Loma knocked Commey from pillar to post in a few rounds.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Shame Loma didn't get the finish in the 7th, another win.
Loma did some hot dogging when he hurt Commey a few times and he could have possibly finished him in a follow up combination. A corner without compassion for their fighter was as much a story of the fight as Loma doing a heavy bag drill on Commey.

I fully expect a deal with Kambosos for all of the marbles to be signed for the spring in NYC or Vegas. The largest purse won't be available in Australia so that isn't a possibility unless god forbid there is another full or semi lock down.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
FGYa8aAXMAgt6hE

Truthman

Guru
Lomachenko schooled Commey, the Afro was hitting air all night, Loma embarrassed him with how much he was making him miss. Loma should have been ruthless though and stopped him when he had him hurt instead of stopping and asking Commeys corner to. One of the scorecards was bizzarely closer than it should have been, didn't score it but seemed like Loma won every round.

booth

Mentor
Lomachenko schooled Commey, the Afro was hitting air all night, Loma embarrassed him with how much he was making him miss. Loma should have been ruthless though and stopped him when he had him hurt instead of stopping and asking Commeys corner to. One of the scorecards was bizzarely closer than it should have been, didn't score it but seemed like Loma won every round.
I agree with you Truthman. There's no mercy in boxing. Loma should have been on him like Mercer was on Tommy Morrison and ended as quickly as possible. What if there would have been a clash of heads and Loma sustained a cut that kept him out for a year. His job is to box and let the ref do his job.

booth

Mentor
Beterviev vs Browne is the big fight this weekend. It's for lt. heavyweight championship. ESPN Plus is carrying it at 8 pm from Montreal, Canada. is

Arerequired

Mentor
Beterviev vs Browne is the big fight this weekend. It's for lt. heavyweight championship. ESPN Plus is carrying it at 8 pm from Montreal, Canada. is

Browne fails to beat the count after getting dropped from a left uppercut.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Browne fails to beat the count after getting dropped from a left uppercut.
Browne might have won the first two rounds but after that he took the beating of his life and essentially quit from the second knockdown of the fight. Once Berterbiev was cut he went into full tiger mode and went into 3rd and 4th gear and didn't give Browne room to box and move.

Arerequired

Mentor
Tyron Woodley just got brutally knocked out by Jake Paul with one punch out of nowhere.

He was supposed to fight Tommy Fury but an injury on Fury's side meant that a Woodley rematch was in order.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Tyron Woodley just got brutally knocked out by Jake Paul with one punch out of nowhere.

He was supposed to fight Tommy Fury but an injury on Fury's side meant that a Woodley rematch was in order.

lmao. Media was actually calling Woodley one of the best Welterweights ever at one point...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

booth

Mentor
Joesph Parker handed Derek Chisora a good beating which I enjoyed very much maybe this will be the end of Chisora as a contender. I saw some terrible scoring and refereeing this weekend. It's a tough job but some of it bordered on thievery.

white is right

Hall of Famer

The circus side show will roll into 22' as Paul had a highlight reel ko of Woodley with one quick right to the jaw of Woodley. Woodley took the fight on short notice so maybe he was gassed at the point of the ko, but it didn't look it to me.

Supposedly Frank Gore has 10 years of boxing training but against the half caste Williams he looked as bad as any ex big 4 league athlete giving boxing a go for the first time. Please let this circus come to a crashing end before somebody dies in the ring.

Alan Babic rolled through a cream puff opponent picked on a few days notice, he needs to fight a fellow prospect or at least a former contender on the slide as he will learn nothing fighting the type of opponent he fought on Saturday.

PS the Parker vs Chisora rematch was a real war but Parker was clearly the better fighter but if Parker didn't get three brutal knockdowns he would have lost the fight? The fight looked easier scoring wise than the judges saw it IMO.

booth

Mentor
Andrew Moloney vs Froilon Saludar Tuesday morning at 3 am est on ESPN. It is a jr Bantamweight fight.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Big HW fight card Sat. on Fox Sports PPV. It starts at 8 pm et. I am looking forward to seeing Viktor Faust box live. He looks to be a good prospect on tape.
https://fightnews.com/ortiz-martin-final-press-conference/126335
Yep the new year starts off with a bang with Faust being on the opening PPV bout of the card. The card while not as good at the Fury vs Wilder III card isn't that bad for a card that could get buried with NFL games and college bowl games book ending the card.

PS I noticed the B side has 3 White/Caucasians as the fall guys against PBC contracted fighters. Kiladze is fighting Faust and is a tweener type who is a poor man's Usyk who should crumble once Faust starts finding his range for power shots.

Washington is fighting an unknown Turk, the Turk should be the most live of the dogs as Washington has a vulnerable chin and questionable stamina. Christian Hammer is fighting the peaking and skilled Frank Sanchez. I question the conditioning of Hammer who is fighting on short notice and he might have one win in step up fights as he was ground down like a bar of soap by Fury years ago and has failed in various other step up fights.

PS 2: The Faust vs Kiladze fight was a real war with 5 knock downs in total and the referee stopping the fight late in the 2nd round with Kiladze seeming to be okay to continue but he had the best view of Kiladze's eyes and they may have been glassy.

In the next bout the Turk slowly beat down Washington who once again faded in the second half of the bout and Washington's corner signaled surrender to the referee with Washington wobbly around the ring in the 9th round. Maybe the Turk and Faust can fight each other in a prospect fight.

Hammer showed up in ring for his bout to last and go the distance and he stalled ran and held and fought like a sparring partner and went the distance with the flat looking Sanchez. Really the way Hammer fought the bout should have been declared an exhibition or scrapped. I give credit for Hammer not gassing and getting violently ko'd but that's about it.

In the main event the Ortiz eventually caught and destroyed Martin who might be the worst modern paper champion in heavyweight boxing history. Until the violent ending Ortiz was dropped by shots that weren't that devastating looking. His legs look like they are going, as we stated before who knows how old he is he could be pushing 50 and appears to be much older than his listed age of 42.

Last edited:

Truthman

Guru
Charlie Sheehy Inks Promotional Pact With Top Rank

Lightweight prospect Charlie Sheehy (1-0, 1 KO), a 23-year-old former Team USA amateur standout from the Bay Area town of Brisbane, California, has signed a multi-year professional contract with Top Rank.

Sheehy, who is managed by Peter Kahn, won 17 national amateur titles. He will make his Top Rank debut in a four-round bout Friday, March 4 on the Jose Ramirez-Jose Pedraza undercard (live on ESPN+) in Fresno, California.

“We’ve had our eyes on Charlie since his amateur days, and we believe he is a young man with the potential to bring championship boxing back to the Bay Area,” said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum.

Sheehy said, “I am honored to become part of an organization that has built some of the greatest boxers of all time. This has been a dream of mine since I began boxing. It feels amazing to know that the biggest promotional company in boxing believes in me. I look forward to showing the world my skills and becoming a world champion with Top Rank.”

Sheehy started boxing at eight years old at Fire in the Ring Boxing Club in San Francisco under head trainer Miguel Rios, who is still in his corner. He is preparing for his March 4 bout in South Florida alongside undefeated junior middleweight phenom Xander Zayas.

Sheehy made his professional debut last October in Fresno, where he knocked out Luciano Ramos in the fourth round. As an amateur, he defeated numerous top names, including Ryan Garcia and Vergil Ortiz Jr. He placed third at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials, where he dropped a competitive decision to eventual Olympic silver medalist and Top Rank promotional stablemate Keyshawn Davis. Sheehy was the 138-pound Olympic alternate, and with dreams of Olympic gold dashed, he turned his focus to the pro ranks

Truthman

Guru
This once again shows how ridiculous, not credible, and biased The Ring magazine is.......

THE RING AWARDS 2021 – PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR: SHAKUR STEVENSON TKO 10 JAMEL HERRING

Runners Up

Brandon Figueroa KO 7 Luis Nery

Terence Crawford TKO 10 Shawn Porter

Nonito Donaire KO 4 Nordine Ouballi

Vasiliy Lomachenko UD 12 Richard Commey

Usyk's beautiful performance dethroning Joshua should have been the clear winner!! And it didn't even get a honoury mention!!!!!!