Mike Trout

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout has 342 home runs. Why could this be significant? Well, Hank Aaron finished his age 29 season with exactly 342 home runs. Aaron ended his career with 755. Aaron only hit 24 home runs during his age 30 season giving him a total of 366. So, despite missing the equivalent of 2 years of his prime, Trout is only 24 home runs behind Aaron's pace. With 25 games left in the Angels season, Trout could eat into this number before the end of the year. From his age 31 season until he retired at age 42, Aaron hit more home runs, 389 than he did from age 20-30. Hopefully, Trout can do the same. Barring a disaster, and with him getting plenty of rest the last 3 years, maybe Trout can hit more home runs during the second half of his career. No doubt he'll reach 600, again barring a disaster and depending on how long he wants to play, he could reach 700.

BTW, I know the juice helped Barry Bonds later in his career, but for information purposes, he only had 292 home runs through his age 30 season.

Also, it has been 10 years since Jimmy Chitwood started this thread on Trout. Time and Tide wait for no man. Thank you, JC!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout has passed Rod Carew and the great Nolan Ryan on the all-time Career WAR list. With a career WAR of 81.4, Trout sits at number 60 all time after just 12 MLB seasons. Carew played 19 seasons and Ryan and incredible 27! Earlier in his career Trout, was ahead of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth's pace, but missing 2 years of his prime has set Trout back a bit. However, with the way Trout has played over the past month there's hope that he hasn't lost much and maybe next season he can finally get back to normal for the second half of his career. Some of the all-time greats he should pass next season include Mike Mussina, Ken Griffey Jr., Fergie Jenkins, and Chipper Jones. With a 7.0 WAR season in 23', he may even pass one my favorite players, George Brett!

Warhawk_46

Master
What is crazy to think about is he currently sits at 5.2 WAR, 1.011 OPS and 35 HR… while missing approx 40 games this season. I think he is on pace for playing 115. He very well may hit 40 home runs this year despite missing so many games with a back condition.

Injuries and the shorted covid season have hurt his all-time standing. Robbing him of probably 100 home runs and probably 15-20 WAR points.

Still, he is crushing it and remains the best player in the game.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
What is crazy to think about is he currently sits at 5.2 WAR, 1.011 OPS and 35 HR… while missing approx 40 games this season. I think he is on pace for playing 115. He very well may hit 40 home runs this year despite missing so many games with a back condition.

Injuries and the shorted covid season have hurt his all-time standing. Robbing him of probably 100 home runs and probably 15-20 WAR points.

Still, he is crushing it and remains the best player in the game.
He's also not really tried to steal many bases since his second full season or 22 years old. He led the league in his rookie season with 49 stolen bases at just 20 years old!! I'm guessing, he would be somewhere between 400-500 stolen bases as well moving his WAR even higher. He could be around 100-120 WAR. That would put him in the Mickey Mantle, Mel Ott, and Lou Gehrig range after just 12 seasons. What it took Mickey to accomplish in 18 years, he could've done in 12. At the number 1 all time mark of 183.1 WAR, says a lot about how great Babe Ruth was. Although, I still believe Ty Cobb to be the GOAT, then Ruth and Mays number 3.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Will be rooting hard for Trout to tie the record this evening. Game at 6:10 EST, which is strange but whatever.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes sir. Eight would be Great but Nine tommorow would be Divine! It would be Poetic Justice for all he has been through. The
modern day Mickey Mantle but even better than Mick the Quick!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout hit his 36th homerun tonight to deep centerfield. What a monster shot! He is on pace for 40 homers with about 18 games left.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
BTW, Trout has doubled and homered today in his first two at bats. 37th of the year.

FInally I've been waiting fo over a week to see him hit a homerun. We got spoiled a couple of weeks ago when Trout hit
8 homeruns in 9 games. Then a mini drought and now he's back! I hope he finishes the season strong with about 10 games left.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
FInally I've been waiting fo over a week to see him hit a homerun. We got spoiled a couple of weeks ago when Trout hit
8 homeruns in 9 games. Then a mini drought and now he's back! I hope he finishes the season strong with about 10 games left.
Looks like the Twins are done throwing a strike to Trout. Four straight balls on his next AB.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
BTW, Trout has doubled and homered today in his first two at bats. 37th of the year.
Trout Walks and Doubles in his last two AB's. He finishes 3-4, HR, 2D, W, 3 runs scored and an RBI.
Phillies Kyle Schwarber hits 2 HR's. Numbers 41 and 42.
Pete Alonso hits his 39th HR.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Trout Walks and Doubles in his last two AB's. He finishes 3-4, HR, 2D, W, 3 runs scored and an RBI.
Phillies Kyle Schwarber hits 2 HR's. Numbers 41 and 42.
Pete Alonso hits his 39th HR.
Kyle Schwarber has had a monster year. Only Judge has been better with the long ball.

Question for you Carolina Speed? How good do you think Pete Alonso is? He is becoming one the players I like to watch. His
talent level is off the charts i.m.o.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Kyle Schwarber has had a monster year. Only Judge has been better with the long ball.

Question for you Carolina Speed? How good do you think Pete Alonso is? He is becoming one the players I like to watch. His
talent level is off the charts i.m.o.
Alonso reminds me of Mark McGwire. Alonso, if you exclude the Covid shortened season is averaging more home runs and more RBI than McGwire through his first 3 seasons. Although McGwire hit for a little better average towards the middle to end of his career, Alonso is not far behind him in that category. Alonso has also worked hard on his fielding and has yet to win a gold glove. His fielding has greatly improved. McGwire only won one GG. Alonso broke Aaron Judges' rookie HR record with 53. I believe Alonso has a chance to get 60 and beyond before his career is over. Alonso currently leads the NL in RBI with 125. He's also raised hid BA. to a respectable .270 with 39 homeruns.
I believe Alonso can be a HOF if he continues to improve.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good to see Trout finish out the '22 campaign strong!

Stellar power displayed by Schwarber and Alonso. Exciting young power hitters. Schwarber has really shined in Philly.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout is having an epic month of September. He hit his 38th home run tonight. Hoping he can get at least 2 more with about
7 games left. He has so much lost time to make up for. I think homeruns are the most important thing for his career legacy to have
a chance to eventually overtake Mr. PED himself Barry Bonds.

Warhawk_46

Master
If only the man can stay healthy! I think he may end of DH on the down-side if his career. His degenerative back issue is cause for concern.

He is a talent on-par with Mantle!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
If only the man can stay healthy! I think he may end of DH on the down-side if his career. His degenerative back issue is cause for concern.

He is a talent on-par with Mantle!
Trout is a giant version of Mantle. Mantle was 5'11 195lbs and ran like a deer according to his teammates, before he was injured. Trout is 6'2 235 lbs. and is probably even faster than the Mick. Both have the same problem. Staying healthy. At his age 30 season, Trout is less 29 points away from Mantles' career WAR. Trout would've been close already had he not been hampered with all the injuries. With that being said he should pass Mantle within 4-5 years if he stays healthy. With his career 348th home run last night, Trout is only 18 home runs off of Aaron's 755 pace. Trout will have to have a phenomenal second half of his career and average at least 145 games to get anywhere near Aaron. I'm not giving up hope that he could get 650 maybe more depending on how long he wants to play. He is signed through 8 more years. If he can play beyond that remains to be seen.
No matter what, through the first 8 years of his career NO ONE EVER, not even the Babe or Cobb was better than Trout.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Giancarlo Stanton of the NY Yankees just recently hit his 350th home run this year to become the 7th fastest to hit that mark. Here
are the rest of the guys on the list. We will see how many games it takes Mike Trout but he is so close with only 2 homeruns to go!

Mark McGwire was the fastest to reach 350 homers in terms of games played, belting his 350th homer in his 1,280th game on June 2, 1997. The others to reach 350 home runs faster than Stanton were Juan Gonzalez (1,298), Alex Rodriguez (1,301), Harmon Killebrew (1,319), Albert Pujols (1,320) and Babe Ruth (1,329).

Mike Trout is currently sitting on 1402 games after tonight. The injuries, walks and strikeouts have all drastically slowed him down. Hope
that somehow someway he has better luck in his 30's than he did in his 20's. To think back to even Mark McGwire and it's a shock that he
never hit 600 let alone 700 career homeruns. I will add that Jim Thome did make 600 homeruns as he was consistant all through his career.
So Thome made 600 despite a little slower start and we have to hope that Trout can do the same at the minimum!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout has hit his 40th HR of the season. This gives him 350 career home runs. He has also doubled and walked today. A fitting way to end another injury shortened season. Hopefully, he can have another 10-12 relatively injury free years.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout has hit his 40th HR of the season. This gives him 350 career home runs. He has also doubled and walked today. A fitting way to end another injury shortened season. Hopefully, he can have another 10-12 relatively injury free years.

Wow finally. I've been so excited to see this. I was checking the box score most of the day till the last 20 to 30 minutes. Happy he
ended another crazy injury filled season on a high note. We should be grateful as that injury he had could really shorten or halt
his career if it continues to be a problem. So for him to come back and play so great is an added bonus.

Needed some good news as the greatest player of all time in my opinion, Babe Ruth lost 2 of his long time records that I never
thought would be broke. Don't be suprised if Pujols doesn't retire and comes back so he can pass Ruth on the career homers list.
You have to give credit where credit is do but the media never makes this kind of deal when it's our guys. Only their guys.

If my memory serves me right Ruth hit 60 homeruns in a a154 game season which was what they played before going to 162.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Wow finally. I've been so excited to see this. I was checking the box score most of the day till the last 20 to 30 minutes. Happy he
ended another crazy injury filled season on a high note. We should be grateful as that injury he had could really shorten or halt
his career if it continues to be a problem. So for him to come back and play so great is an added bonus.

Needed some good news as the greatest player of all time in my opinion, Babe Ruth lost 2 of his long time records that I never
thought would be broke. Don't be suprised if Pujols doesn't retire and comes back so he can pass Ruth on the career homers list.
You have to give credit where credit is do but the media never makes this kind of deal when it's our guys. Only their guys.

If my memory serves me right Ruth hit 60 homeruns in a a154 game season which was what they played before going to 162.
WL, Ruth hit 60 home runs in 151 games.
Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 161 games.
Aaron Judge hit 62 home runs in 157 games.
I believe these stats are correct.
We'll probably never know if Trout could have approached these numbers as he missed the two best years of his prime age 28 and age 29 seasons to Covid and injury. However, hitting 40 homeruns in just 119 games is impressive. I could see him hitting 50 plus next year, IF he can stay healthy.
Hank Aaron, the pre-steroid home run leader never hit more than 47 home runs in a season, and he did that at age 37. Trout, unbelievably is only 16 home runs behind Aaron's pace. He could possibly still hit 650-700 home runs.

white is right

Hall of Famer
WL, Ruth hit 60 home runs in 151 games.
Roger Maris hit 61 home runs in 161 games.
Aaron Judge hit 62 home runs in 157 games.
I believe these stats are correct.
We'll probably never know if Trout could have approached these numbers as he missed the two best years of his prime age 28 and age 29 seasons to Covid and injury. However, hitting 40 homeruns in just 119 games is impressive. I could see him hitting 50 plus next year, IF he can stay healthy.
Hank Aaron, the pre-steroid home run leader never hit more than 47 home runs in a season, and he did that at age 37. Trout, unbelievably is only 16 home runs behind Aaron's pace. He could possibly still hit 650-700 home runs.
Matt Williams may have broken the Maris record in 94' as he was on pace to break it before the strike happened that cancelled the playoffs and the World Series.

That season Gwynn also had a chance to be the first player since Williams to hit .400 in 41' as he was hitting .394 in August. Of course both players would have had to deal with internal pressure and the daily press conferences that McGwire and Sosa and Bonds had as they approached 60 and the Maris/McGwire record.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Williams may have broken the Maris record in 94' as he was on pace to break it before the strike happened that cancelled the playoffs and the World Series.

That season Gwynn also had a chance to be the first player since Williams to hit .400 in 41' as he was hitting .394 in August. Of course both players would have had to deal with internal pressure and the daily press conferences that McGwire and Sosa and Bonds had as they approached 60 and the Maris/McGwire record.
Jeff Bagwell, one of my all-time favorite players, was right there with Williams in '94 -- it was his peak season with 39 homers, 116 RBIs and a .368 batting average in just 110 games, a phenomenal pace in all three categories.

1994 had some all-time great individual seasons taking place, it's a real shame so much of that season ended up being canceled along with the post-season.

It was a long one

Mike Trout just hit the longest home run of his career [VIDEO]
Angels slugger belts 40th of season to finish out 2022.

Trout’s 40th and final homer this season — and the 350th of his career — traveled 490 feet according to Statcast. That is the longest home run of Trout’s career, topping a 486-foot dinger he launched in 2019. It is also the fifth-longest home run by any player this season.

Trout reached 40 homers in just 119 games this year, which is tied for the third-fewest games played during a 40-homer campaign. The only players ahead of Trout on that list — Ken Griffey Jr. (111 games) and Matt Williams (112 games) both did the trick during the strike-shortened 1994 campaign.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
It was a long one

Mike Trout just hit the longest home run of his career [VIDEO]
Angels slugger belts 40th of season to finish out 2022.

Trout’s 40th and final homer this season — and the 350th of his career — traveled 490 feet according to Statcast. That is the longest home run of Trout’s career, topping a 486-foot dinger he launched in 2019. It is also the fifth-longest home run by any player this season.

Trout reached 40 homers in just 119 games this year, which is tied for the third-fewest games played during a 40-homer campaign. The only players ahead of Trout on that list — Ken Griffey Jr. (111 games) and Matt Williams (112 games) both did the trick during the strike-shortened 1994 campaign.

knightedsoldier5000, Yes, I saw this. I'm hoping this bodes well for Trout's future. Seeing he still has this kind of power despite his injuries and now 31 years, it seems he hasn't lost any strength. Hoping for another 10-12 years, so he can still make a run at one of the greatest players of all-time.