Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 45.17 and 8.25 LJ

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matthew Boling finishes 2nd in his heat running a new p.b. in the 400 meters of 45.53! I notice that most of the 400 sprinters go out in
a slow to medium pace and save their energy for the the last half of the race. Boling does the opposite but he is in round 2 of the
USATF Championships. He has the semi final round of the 400 meters tommorow!

sprintstar

Mentor
Boling is much smarter than he appears and he said quite clearly that his coach at Georgia let him run in which ever race he wanted.....so essentially he was choosing all those races not her.....if he is not covering for her....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling is much smarter than he appears and he said quite clearly that his coach at Georgia let him run in which ever race he wanted.....so essentially he was choosing all those races not her.....if he is not covering for her....

Bro the kid had about a 4.0 g.p.a. all through college. He has more intelligence than most guys on this message board. Just thought
I would let you know that. We mainly only get to see him talk in short interviews when he is tired and it's all track related questions when
he is out of breath. The should give these athletes another 5 or 10 minutes before they bother them. On top of that he is only 22 so we all
acted a little different when we were young. His intelligence like his athletecism is off the charts!

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
Here’s hoping Matthew Boling is able to find a professional coach to help unlock his truly great potential. He still strains when he runs and it kills him. His starts are average at best as well. If I were his coach he would be in many 60 meter races as well as 200 meter. But the 60 is key to unlocking his potential in the 100. 60 is all about the start and the start is one of Matthew’s weak points.

mastermulti

Master
for me, when an athlete come out with the cliche "I just wanna have fun out there" I sense a rote learning of the phrase.
"Have fun when the job is done" or "BECAUSE the job" is done .... even better.
Anyhow, I hope he does well, grabs a 44 and then HAS FUN because he ran that 44

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Toyota Men's 400m
USATF-horz.png
2023 Toyota USATF Outdoor Championships
Hayward Field | Eugene, OR

i, July 7th

Results​

Top 3 + next 4 fastest to 2 semis; Top 3 + next 2 fastest to final

Vernon Norwood
New Balance WCS
44.43 Q
SB
-
Pl: 5
Pl: 1 4
1 (1)
Bryce Deadmon
NIKE WCS
44.70 Q
SB
-
Pl: 1
Pl: 2 -1
1 (2)
Ryan Willie
Florida WCS
44.85 Q
-
Pl: 2
Pl: 3 -1
1 (3)
Quincy Hall
adidas / Ultra Sports, LLC WCS
44.86 Q
SB
-
Pl: 3
Pl: 1 2
2 (1)
Chris Bailey
Arkansas WCS
45.02 q
PB
-
Pl: 7
Pl: 4 3
1 (4)
Khaleb McRae
Alabama
45.16 q
-
Pl: 6
Pl: 5 1
1 (5)
Justin Robinson
Arizona State WCS
45.22 Q
-
Pl: 4
Pl: 2 2
2 (2)
Jacory Patterson
Florida
-
Pl: 3
Pl: 6 -3
1 (6)
Matthew Boling
Georgia
45.56 Q
-
Pl: 1
Pl: 3 -2
2 (3)

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
I just watched Boling's semi - hoping to see him easing up. But no, he was all out I reckon. I'd hope for high 44s in the final but he'll be exhausted.
Great work by Brahe-Pedersen to make a final at 17

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm already hearing rumors that Boling will use his 5th year of eligibility due to the covid policies. I think not turning pro is a mistake but
nothing has been announced officially yet. Maybe that is why he hasn't went to Europe or declared he is gonna run track professionally yet.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I thought he said in an interview after his NYC race, that he had already turned pro.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I just watched Boling's semi - hoping to see him easing up. But no, he was all out I reckon. I'd hope for high 44s in the final but he'll be exhausted.
I think if he goes out a little more conservatively in his 2nd 100, he can finish better.
On the other hand, I think running the 400m three times in 3 days, might be too much for him to lower his PB into the 44s in the final.
He's already had a long and full collegiate season.
So I agree....I think he will be exhausted.

sprintstar

Mentor
I am stoked he made the final albeit with a time that would not have made it if it was the 8 fastest times.....He will finish last or second to last but we should all be proud of him. I truly hope he goes pro and not back to Georgia.....he is smart so he knows the deal..

mastermulti

Master
I think if he goes out a little more conservatively in his 2nd 100, he can finish better.
On the other hand, I think running the 400m three times in 3 days, might be too much for him to lower his PB into the 44s in the final.
He's already had a long and full collegiate season.
So I agree....I think he will be exhausted.
add to that a 200 heat virtually 1.5 hours prior. It'll either be the world's most beneficial warm-up, EVER, or the poor guy will be toast.
I had to run a 400 in between triple jumps once 20 years ago - talk about jelly legs when returning to the pit!

mastermulti

Master
I am stoked he made the final albeit with a time that would not have made it if it was the 8 fastest times.....He will finish last or second to last but we should all be proud of him. I truly hope he goes pro and not back to Georgia.....he is smart so he knows the deal..
earlier in his career his 400m always looked to me like it'd be low 44s in no time at all. Maybe that ferocious relay leg where he gained 30 or more metres to win fooled me.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
earlier in his career his 400m always looked to me like it'd be low 44s in no time at all. Maybe that ferocious relay leg where he gained 30 or more metres to win fooled me.

I agree when he was skinnier. Boling has bulked up so much he is now built like a traditonal 100/200 meter sprinter. Not like most elite 400 guys. I think that running the 400 meters killed any chance of him running a fast 200 today. I expect him to struggle in both races this afternoon but like I always say I hope I'm wrong. His legs just are not there and he continues to run tight.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
add to that a 200 heat virtually 1.5 hours prior. It'll either be the world's most beneficial warm-up, EVER, or the poor guy will be toast.
I had to run a 400 in between triple jumps once 20 years ago - talk about jelly legs when returning to the pit!
Boling would be foolish, even stupid, to run that 200m heat today.
He has almost no chance to make the team in the 200m. But if he finishes in the top 6 in the 400m, he has a good chance to be selected for the relay. This is his opportunity to go to the World Championships. So he needs to focus his energy on this 400m final.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
It seems Boling is listening . . . he DNS (did not start) in his 200m heat.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling 6th in 45.17.
That puts him on the relay squad (I believe).
Congratulations!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling 6th in 45.17.
That puts him on the relay squad (I believe).
Congratulations!

This is quite an improvement in a short time. If he makes it then I'm very happy for him. He has had such a tough year.

Only 3 sprinters in the history of the world have gone sub 10, sub 20 and sub 45. Boling will soon be the 4th!

Texas Flash

This is quite an improvement in a short time. If he makes it then I'm very happy for him. He has had such a tough year.

Only 3 sprinters in the history of the world have gone sub 10, sub 20 and sub 45. Boling will soon be the 4th!
I think you mean only three athletes have gone under 10, 20 and 44. 10, 20 and 45 is still impressive, but you would have to add to the list Tyson Gay, and Bednarek.

Well all things considered Boling did the best thing for him in this Championships. He really had no chance in the 100m or 200m and with his 6th place finish he should make the relay team. Of course, they have the mixed relays now and he will definitely run on that squad though I have a hard time taking the mixed relays seriously.

There was no way he was going to announce going pro prior to the final - see my earlier post. The only way he was going to go pro is if he made the World Team. Again, without making the team, as a pro, he is not marketable at this point in his career and he would be leaving a large sum of money on the table as a collegiate star NIL athlete. Now that he is on the team I'd say there is a very good chance he goes pro. I definitely think he wants to. If he was dying to go run another year of college then he would have just said so. They will now evaluate, or even wait until after the Championships to make that decision.

But he's made a team! More PRs will come this summer for him.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Here's the race.... I still think Boling is going too hard in the 2nd 100m. He needs to hold back a bit there, and save something for the stretch. Still, he made the team.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Think about it though guys. Boling is about a second slower than the winner and even more to the world and olympic champions
in this event. Call me crazy but I don't see Boling ever running in the high 43 second range which is about what is needed currently.

The truth is Boling has a better chance to catch guys in the 100 & 200 meters with improvement. He is better at the 100 & 200 meters
despite getting improper training. A year ago he ran 19.92 into a negative wind. He ran 9..98 over 100 the week before. These are the
events he was made for. He will just be an average 400 guy. Happy he is on the team but it does little in the big picture for his career.
He made the relay squad as an alternate. I think he is capable of great things wtih the right coaching but not over the 400 meters. Yes
he can go high 44's. Maybe mid 44's with alot of traiining, lose weight and races but that won't win you medals.

I know I've come off as being harsh but I just dread him becoming only the a 400 meter sprinter. Hope he at the very least does
the 200 and 400 meters next year. If he ran all 3 great but that is doubtful. He will have to choose.

Last edited:

Texas Flash

Think about it though guys. Boling is about a second slower than the winner and even more to the world and olympic champions
in this event. Call me crazy but I don't see Boling ever running in the high 43 second range which is about what is needed currently.

The truth is Boling has a better chance to catch guys in the 100 & 200 meters with improvement. He is better at the 100 & 200 meters
despite getting improper training. A year ago he ran 19.92 into a negative wind. He ran 9..98 over 100 the week before. These are the
events he was made for. He will just be an average 400 guy. Happy he is on the team but it does little in the big picture for his career.
He made the relay squad as an alternate. I think he is capable of great things wtih the right coaching but not over the 400 meters. Yes
he can go high 44's. Maybe mid 44's with alot of traiining, lose weight and races but that won't win you medals.
The 100 and the 200m is definitely where Boling's future lies, but making a team regardless of event will help him. He physically could have run 44.5 at some point this season (maybe the beginning), but yeah if he wanted to be an elite 400m runner, then he needed to be building towards that in college. At 23 he's a little late to be going up in sprint distance to the 400m permanently.

The Championships have extended his season. I still see a PR in the 200meters possible this season.