Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 44.91 and 8.25 LJ

mastermulti

Master
so 44.94 is a PB - if he was holding back a little that'd means he's running to his best anyway. All the best to him in his following runs in both events

sprintstar

Master
In Bolings 400m his first 3 split times 100/200/300m were the fastest for the 100/200m and second fastest for the 300m split then he faded..
He is a 100m/200m Sprinter first and foremost....

So they're trying to get him to run longer distances, in the same way the NFL tries to get athletic white guys to always play o. line or tight end or fullback.

Texas Flash

Boling got lucky with the lane assignments. Lane three is good. He should be able to finish 6th. That will put him on both relays. Its a good thing he's strong. Two rounds of fast 400s means everyone not named Michael Norman should be fatiguing. Or this year is the exception, I'm wrong, and everyone keeps just running faster. Boling is right where he wants to be for the final.

sprintstar

Master
He needs to ease off abit during the first 200m then pour it on in the last 200m as he fades in the last 100m because he goes out too hard...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling gets out real quick, then fades at end, 45.15 for 8th place.

He is not built for this event. Never has been and never will be. Even guys like Fred Kerley know that when your big it's alot easier to sprint over 100 & 200 meters. I guarantee Kerley doesn't miss training & racing the 400 meters and neither would Matthew. I doubt he is even on the relay unless it's an emergency backup.

LET THIS 400 METERS NONSENSE COME TO AN END. Matthew Boling must go back to the 100 and 200 meters before he is an old man!

freedom1

Mentor
He just turned 24 a few days ago. I hope he does some soul searching and gets some good advice. Hopefully, he learned a hard lesson from this 400 meters experiment.

sprintstar

Master
yes he needs to go back to the 100/200m double. He needs to see that he got beat by a 16 year old as well...The 16 year ran a smarter race than Boling...

Warhawk_46

Master
He just has not matched the hype. How does a guy like him essentially peak in high school??

Wholly disappointing.

He has had had garbage coaching in college and now as a professional so far. He is NOT a 400m guy.

I think his best potential is the 200m followed by the 100m.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
All good comments here. Nothing more to really say other than I hope he makes the right choice. If I was him, I'd head down and train with Carl Lewis. Seems like he knows the secrets to get to that extra level.

Texas Flash

Boy those 100m split times tell the story - Boling is a short sprinter trying to run the 400m. Just could never finish.... I think they end up taking 8 to the Olympics and all his relay experience will help him make that case, plus the16-year-old kid naturally brings some concerns. But he likely only gets to run one round in the mixed relay. Not great.

If they dont take him then he'll definitely be lining up for the 200!

freedom1

Mentor
I hope he does not get chosen for the relays. I don't want to see his delusion enabled. Put the 16-year-old kid in there. It's a good story and he's a better 400 runner than Boling anyway.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I hope he does not get chosen for the relays. I don't want to see his delusion enabled. Put the 16-year-old kid in there. It's a good story and he's a better 400 runner than Boling anyway.
I truly think he was doing this for performance bonuses in a sponsorship contract.

Looking at the 100 final and what it took to be on the team this(the 400 meters) was his best chance to make the individual team but even that was remote. I think if he learned to pace himself he could have been a lock for the first round men's relay team but now he's probably on the weird mixed relay team.

I hope he hasn't faded out as there is no physical evidence of him being on a Yam diet and clean or cleaner 400m runners have a short window for a peak performance.

Texas Flash

The heats for the 200m just came out and Boling scratched. Obviously, this means he made the Olympic team. I'll take that as a positive as that alone will help him get into meets over the next 4 years. As relay fodder he has no purpose as an individual so he wont have an open race until after the Olympics. Hopefully he stays over in Europe through August and September and competes in a diamond league event and maybe some second tier meets.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The heats for the 200m just came out and Boling scratched. Obviously, this means he made the Olympic team. I'll take that as a positive as that alone will help him get into meets over the next 4 years. As relay fodder he has no purpose as an individual so he wont have an open race until after the Olympics. Hopefully he stays over in Europe through August and September and competes in a diamond league event and maybe some second tier meets.

Stop smoking the hopium pipe. Sorry bro but his career is a huge letdown WAY WORSE than LEMAITRE. He should give up the 400 forever
after the Olympics unless he want's to only be a relays, water and towel boy.

sprintstar

Master
I often wonder about the way Boling have been treated by the American Track society. Here is young man who has gone sub 10, sub 20 and sub 45n the 400m. Is this an intentional move by the track higher ups to keep a white kid from excelling at the 100/200m to keep the blacks happy and un-threatened? Is the industry so afraid of a young white kid dispelling the lie that blacks are the only ones capable of running fast? Once the Olympics are over if he suddenly starts competing the 100/200m double we will see.

We all want this kid to do well. I truly wish he could/would read this forum and see the support he has here. I would almost guarantee he knows he is being held back but it could be the only way he can continue his career....

Booth

Mentor
I can not imagine the pressure Boling has been under since he was a junior in high school. Hearing all the comments from both blacks and whites every time he lost a race. They were nasty and vicious. Overrated,a PED user, and got attention only because he was white. Look under any YouTube video and read the comments. I think he runs tight because the expectations for him are too much, some people can handle the pressure and some can't.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I can not imagine the pressure Boling has been under since he was a junior in high school. Hearing all the comments from both blacks and whites every time he lost a race. They were nasty and vicious. Overrated,a PED user, and got attention only because he was white. Look under any YouTube video and read the comments. I think he runs tight because the expectations for him are too much, some people can handle the pressure and some can't.
The amount of pressure on him is unlike that on any black American sprinter Massively different

Texas Flash

Stop smoking the hopium pipe. Sorry bro but his career is a huge letdown WAY WORSE than LEMAITRE. He should give up the 400 forever
after the Olympics unless he want's to only be a relays, water and towel boy.
What hopium pipe are you referring to? All I said was that making the Olympic Team was a positive. Pretty sure we can all agree that's a fact....You then pretty much restated my sentiments that there is nothing for him to decide on until after the Olympics...And then I stated that hopefully he stays in Europe after the Olympics and competes in a few additional pro meets. Not sure where the hopium in that is. I never said what event either; honestly I hope its the 100 and 200m.

Now, in a previous post I did hypothesize that, given the competitiveness of the 200 and 100 right now and his performance over both distances last year, it did make sense to go up to the 400m for this season where he'd pretty much be a lock for the 400m relay. And I stand by that assertion. I also hypothesized that he stay with the 400m as his primary event for next year through the World Championships and then transition back down to the 100m and 200m in 2026 which is an off year and then stay there for the following World and Olympic seasons.

HOWEVER, based upon how he looked at the trials I've changed my opinion on that. After the Olympics he should abandon the 400m permanently. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to make that transition up quickly where it would have been beneficial to his career. If he had been able to get down to 44.5/44.6 territory at the end of rounds and had been able to hold his speed in the last 100m like a 400m runner, then I would still say he should stay with the 400m for one more year. But he couldnt. He was clearly a sprinter just trying to hold on and as a result was tiring way too much through the rounds. At this point, I would say its not worth the risk of losing another year, breaking his speed, and maybe not getting any more hardware out of it. Stick to the short sprints. The 400 didnt work, but there's no way to have known that last year. Especially considering that prior to his senior high school season the 400m was his event and he was nationally recognized. But I dont see any hopium pushing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is what you said Texas Flash.

"every. single. year. he. has. improved. fact.
Considering he ran an ungodly number of races in college and never sustained any serious injury is very positive. I'd say he's more likely to be a volcano that is about to explode than an athlete that is just going to fade out."

I just see every single year with the exception of around 4 or 5 races in his whole career have been a huge disapointment!

Sorry for being a little hard but I just hate what happens to our guys. Filippo Tortu was another guy that went 9.99 wind legal and
then was told to give up the 100. Boling has been mismanaged & coached from college to pro. What a waste of IMMENSE TALENT!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling's best long jump is 8.25m.
The winner of the US Olympic Trials jumped 8.20m.

Boling's best 100m is 9.98.
The winner of the US Olympic Trials ran 9.83. Second and third ran sub 9.87 and 9.88.

Boling's best 200m is 19.92
The winner of the US Olympic Trials ran 19.53. Second and third ran sub 19.59 and 19.77.

Boling's best 400m time is 44.91
The winner of the US Olympic Trials ran 44.17. Second and third ran 44.41 and 44.42.

So Boling's best bet for an individual medal is the Long Jump!!

His safest bet for any medal (inclusive of relays) is the 400m.

It would be great to see how far he can take his talent in the 100m and 200m, but the short sprints have fast forwarded while he has stagnated. I don't see much chance, if any, of individual glory for him there.

So it all depends on what he wants for himself - take his sprint talents to the limit? Then the 100m and 200m. Get as many medals as possible? Then the 4x400m relay teams. Get individual medals? Then the long jump.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great post jacknyc but one thing most track fans forget is that no coach from high school to college or pro has taught him how to explode out of the blocks. He has also struggled with relaxing during races. Both of these problems are easily able to be fixed with the right coach. Since his early years of college he has went backwards. I know he has amazing long jump talent but I see so much more in the sprints. Not the 400 but in the 100 and 200 meters.

I guarantee with the right coach you would see a 100 percent different sprinter. He doesn't know how to do the start and drive phase consistantly after all of these years. He also still can't relax so much of the time. Both of these things lead to slow times. Especially over
the 100 and 200 meters! He was born to run the 100 and 200 meters but he has to switch coach's and go back to only those events!

I would be willilng to wager that even Rohan Brownings Coach would have had his problems sorted out already and his talent is head and shoulders above Rohan Browning.

Last edited: