Kyle Philips

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I recognize that it’s a paltry amount relative to what it should be. I was just wondering if you think there are a general couple of reasons why those who do make it, have made it.

You’ve probably looked at this situation longer than anyone has, so was curious what you think the keys to beating what is clearly a biased system are.
Carolina Speed has laid out what has to be done. White boys and men have to clearly outshine their competition to even get a sniff. That's just the way it is, now. The good news is that the Black talent pool has clearly shrunk in recent years while the White talent pool remains strong.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's a decent chance Kyle Philips will be Tennessee's starting slot receiver this season. If so I can see a strong connection developing between Philips and Ryan Tannehill. Philips had 6 catches for 66 yards in his first NFL game last season before eventually getting hurt. This is a good article although the author of it doesn't know how to spell Kyle's surname.

Phillips' Return Brings Some Hope To Titans Receiver Issues​

https://www.si.com/nfl/titans/news/...illips-return-brings-hope-for-receiver-issues

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Philips continues to get good reviews going into his second season. 2023 looks like it may see a comeback when it comes to White slot receivers, with Philips, Scotty Miller, Braxton Berrios and Charlie Jones all possible contributors this season (or next when it comes to Jones). And Hunter Renfrow may come back strong after an injury-marred 2022. Rookie tight ends Sam LaPorta and Dalton Kincaid may also be used quite a bit as receiving TEs right from the get-go as rookies. Add in the veterans Kupp, Thielen, the great White TEs and hopefully improvement from Alec Pierce in his second season (though a lot depends on the black rookie QB in Indy), and 2023 should be a noticeably better year than last year.