Julian Edelman

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
He dominated in the Super Bowl. Despite his size he is a complete receiver. He reminds me of the white version of Steve Smith. Scrappy but very talented!!

Nice comparison. Golden Tate is another similar receiver to Edelman. Edelman is a better overall athlete that almost any other WR, having played quarterback, cornerback, and being one of the best punt returners in the NFL.

How many football players, of any race, can make cuts like this?
edelmanvideogame.gif

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Before the 2009 draft Edelman tested out very well athletically. The Patriots drafted him in the 7th round.

By giving an athletic white player a chance the Patriots got a steal.

Ambrose

Master
Nice comparison. Golden Tate is another similar receiver to Edelman. Edelman is a better overall athlete that almost any other WR, having played quarterback, cornerback, and being one of the best punt returners in the NFL.

edelmanvideogame.gif

That's not the straight line speed the NFL seems always to seek or deems the only true relevant talent; that's footwork, lateral movement in flight, acceleration, and vision. How is this tested other than in games?

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Edelman is a better overall athlete that almost any other WR, having played quarterback, cornerback, and being one of the best punt returners in the NFL.

edelmanvideogame.gif

Wow.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
FYI, the Edelman punt return I posted above occurred during a 2013 game against the Jets. The ever-dependable Caste Bolshevik, Dan Dierdorf, was in his last season as an NFL commentator at the time and I remember him heaping substantial praise upon Edelman’s superhuman agility.

We all loathed Dierdorf’s Negro-deifying commentary for many seasons, and for good reason. However, during his final season (2013-2014), I remember something changing in him and he started being fair towards white players and criticizing blacks. Almost like he was handed and script for all those years and didn’t care to adhere to it any longer. It was strange and I remember myself and other CF posters mentioning it during that season.

As a side note, looking for either Edelman, Gronkowski, Brady, or JJ Watt to land on the cover of the popular "Madden 16" video game.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Came across this article about Julian Edelman that was so schizophrenic that I would like to see the brain of the guy that wrote it to see what the hell is wrong with him. No really. I'd like to smash his skull and carve his brain out to look at. Just kidding that sounds messy.

Some examples:

It starts out....

How does Julian Edelman, that little ball of trash talking and hate, get open so frequently? Thursday night, Edelman lit up the Pittsburgh Steelers for 11 catches on 12 targets for 97 yards, while barking at defensive backs like your neighbor's Pomeranian.

But it's not empty yapping if you can back it up.

Edelman was the No. 16 fantasy wide receiver in my standard WR ranks and No. 13 in PPR. Despite his lack of size and elite athletic skills, that's likely where he'll stay all year. But upon seeing myself write that sentence, I almost feel as though I need to check myself. Really? Julian Edelman? A guy who had 71 catches combined in his first four NFL seasons? The converted college QB who looked like a special teams lifer until age 27? That dude with the hairdo?

So yeah no size, no athletic skills, bad hair, how can this be?. But then the author later states:

Take a look at Edelman's pre-draft workout from 2009. He ran a 3.91 20-yard shuttle time and a 6.63 three-cone time. Those are extraordinary numbers.

So which is it? Extrodinary workout numbers or lack of athleticism. I'm so confused.

Or...
How do the New England Patriots do it? How do they find a little scrap-heap guy, coach him up, and turn him into the unlikeliest of fantasy stars?

then...
Make no mistake, if this were easy to accomplish, every NFL team would do it.

I guess they cheat....
Four of Edelman's 11 catches involved some level of picking on Thursday night.

However...
Again, every NFL team does it.

and...
Antonio Brown is also significantly more explosive on the dead run than Edelman, which explains why he's able to play outside and win so convincingly, while Edelman mostly stays in the slot.

but, but..
But Edelman shares Brown's quickness.

The whole article is typical of the confused commentary on the state of football that refuses to consider race, and the role it plays in situations like this. Thus the whole article is one big logical mess.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/friday-film-room-julian-edelman

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Racist comment about Edelman and the other white Patriot WR's in this fantasy football update about which WR's to "sit" this weekend:

"Julian Edelman: Arizona’s defense, coupled with Jimmy G. under center and a whole slew of additional scrappy, white receivers for Belichick to enjoy (as well as Edelman’s injury history) could lead to fewer snaps until Tom Brady comes back."

http://uproxx.com/sports/fantasy-football-start-sit-sleepers-waiver-week-1-nfl/4/

We'll see how "scrappy" the writer thinks they are by season's end...

Phall

Master
I've been enjoying the website 'Pro Football Focus' for its fairly unique analytical takes, at least among the usual sports-themed internet fodder. Their editors ranked the Patriots "scrappy, white receiver" corps at the top of the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-receiving-corps/

At wide receiver, Julian Edelman earned the 15th-highest overall grade at the position in 2015, averaging 2.07 yards per route run from the slot, the sixth-best mark in the league.

PHillisFan

Master
I've been enjoying the website 'Pro Football Focus' for its fairly unique analytical takes, at least among the usual sports-themed internet fodder. Their editors ranked the Patriots "scrappy, white receiver" corps at the top of the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-receiving-corps/

At wide receiver, Julian Edelman earned the 15th-highest overall grade at the position in 2015, averaging 2.07 yards per route run from the slot, the sixth-best mark in the league.

They will be even better this year with Hogan.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Patriots WR Julian Edelman was NFL’s most productive receiver over 2nd half of season

by Rich Hill

The New England Patriots needed a receiver to step up once TE Rob Gronkowski suffered a season-ending back injury. Whether it was a wide receiver or a tight end,someonewould have to pick up the slack as a receiver.

Enter Julian Edelman.

No receiver was more productive over the final eight games of the NFL season than Edelman,who led all wide receivers and tight ends with 766 yards from scrimmage. Edelman saw 97 targets over that time, far ahead of 2nd ranked Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. (89) and 3rd ranked Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas (80). Edelman’s 748 receiving yards tied Packers WR Jordy Nelson for the most over that time, and his 57 receptions tied Beckham Jr. and trailed only Nelson’s 59.

Edelman struggled with his surgically repaired foot early in the season, but turned a corner after the bye week. Prior to the bye week, Edelman averaged 7.8 targets per game; after the bye week his usage spiked to 12.1 targets per game. Edelman has averaged 95.8 yards per game over the past eight weeks, which is in line with his best stretches pre-foot injury.

“Julian has always worked extremely hard,” Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said on Monday. “He cares deeply about helping our team win...he’s done everything we’ve asked him to do in terms of his role on offense. He’s been a really productive player for us.”

The Patriots are also keeping a trick up their sleeve: they haven’t used Edelman in the red zone. Edelman has just 15 red zone targets and 2 receptions inside the 10 yard line, his lowest amrks since becoming a starter in 2013. Don’t be surprised if Edelman stops running fade routes and starts running higher percentage plays like whip routes or slant patterns in the playoffs.

The Patriots should have Danny Amendola and Malcolm Mitchell back in the divisional round, to go along with Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, LeGarrette Blount, James White, and Dion Lewis. Every player mentioned is capable of cracking the defense. But no one has stepped up in the absence of Gronkowski as much as Edelman has, and the Patriots will need three more great performances from Edelman this year.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/1/3/...t-productive-receiver-over-2nd-half-of-season

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The fact that Edelman managed to salvage a 1,000-yard season was remarkable. He didn’t have Brady for the first four games and mostly had a clueless black rookie QB (Brisett) throwing him the ball during that time. There was very little passing attack in the 2nd half of many games when they were beating teams badly. There were torrential downpours in during their game in San Francisco. Gronkowski, Hogan, and Amendola all missed time, allowing teams to focus coverage towards Edelman. The running game with Blount was very effective, too.

Congrats to Julian on his 2nd 1,000-yard season!

Smokey

Nice to see Prime Time giving mad props to Edelman. You have maybe the best cornerback to ever play the game talking about Edelman vs most of the media that have no idea what they are talking about. I'll value the opinion of a man that played the game at a high level rather than listen to idiots that have no idea what they are talking about.

Nice to see Prime Time.. I'll value the opinion of a man that played the game at a high level rather than listen to idiots that have no idea what they are talking about.

Smokey, I'm with you.
Sanders said, 'because Edelman is a Caucasian receiver, he doesn't get the credit he deserves..'

I submit that's the Caste Football ideology/mission statement perfectly distilled. I'm giving Sanders an Amen. And the reality is, Sanders has a much larger audience & influence than we as CF posters do.. so hopefully his honest comments can bring some awareness.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer

Nice to see Prime Time giving mad props to Edelman. You have maybe the best cornerback to ever play the game talking about Edelman vs most of the media that have no idea what they are talking about. I'll value the opinion of a man that played the game at a high level rather than listen to idiots that have no idea what they are talking about.

Welcome aboard Smokey! Thanks for the post. On another note, I've never liked the term reverse racism. Racism is racism.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
So much babble we hear from broadcasters disparaging an athlete for his height. But we can never find Edelman's elusiveness in big men because of their size.

The anti-white FNM always finds a way to denigrate white men.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Julian Edelman finished the 2018 regular season with 499 career catches. 500 used to be a magic number for receivers but in today's pass happy NFL it isn't, but it's still a lot of catches. In Edelman's case he had to serve a four-year racial apprenticeship, lost all of last season to a knee injury, and was suspended for the first four games of '18. So that's roughly five and a quarter seasons lost. Given that he averages 90 receptions or so per season, he'd otherwise easily be over the 800 mark at the age of just 32.

link

Wes welker is another who could be behind only rice in terms of yards and reception. Racial apprenticeships served both in college and the NFL also had to serve the full 4 year apprenticeship in college.

backrow

Hall of Famer
If he stays on Patriots two more seasons he has a decent chance at the record assuming Brady stays and they go deep into playoffs with their defense...

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
If he stays on Patriots two more seasons he has a decent chance at the record assuming Brady stays and they go deep into playoffs with their defense...
Wouldn't that be something, especially in this day and age of white discrimination?!!!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

PHillisFan

Master
I love watching Edelman play. If Madden were still commentating he would Edelman the Brett Favre of wide receivers. Maybe the media can grasp which top receiver came up big in the AFC Championship? It definitely wasn't Tyreek Hill.