"Jordy-Jordy-Jordy"

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
When I drafted Jordy in a DWF fantasy football league last week the response was "who dat?" And after I took Amendola a few picks later they were all like "who are these guys you're picking?" I guess they missed the Superbowl?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
When I drafted Jordy in a DWF fantasy football league last week the response was "who dat?" And after I took Amendola a few picks later they were all like "who are these guys you're picking?" I guess they missed the Superbowl?
I also have Jordy in 2 DWF leagues. I'm sure he'll be a huge steal. Now if Collie can stay healthy, I'll be saying the same thing about him.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think Jordy moreso than Austin Collie this season, on the account of Peyton Manning not playing. and people who didn' know who he was are really badly informed, it's not like he hasn't had a good season last year, not to mention the Super Bowl!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wasn't sure what to expect last night, so I didn't start Jordy. I wish I had. That will be the last time this season he'll be on my bench, unless things drastically change.

northwinds

Mentor
I wasn't sure what to expect last night, so I didn't start Jordy. I wish I had. That will be the last time this season he'll be on my bench, unless things drastically change.

First year playing FF.....I started Jordy and picked up my first thirteen points along with seven for the Packers defense.....unfortunately I had Peyton Manning as my starting QB for my team named the "Fighting Whities"......:lol:

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, hopefully your team will do alright anyway. I missed out on about 30 points last night. Only got 5.5 from Ryan Grant.

backrow

Hall of Famer
hmm, he's not the fastest guy, yet he is athletic... and how is him being a number 3 (!) receiver good news

GREEN BAY, Wis. - WR Jordy Nelson has firmly grabbed hold of the No. 3 receiver position. Since the beginning of the playoffs last year, he has caught more passes than anyone else on the team. He isn't the fastest guy, but he's fast enough and he benefits from the attention Greg Jennings gets from opposing offenses.
Nelson wins a lot of one-on-ones because he's big and athletic. He runs a lot of routes over the middle, so when he does go deep he sometimes gets defensive backs squatting on his route. Nelson is a free agent after this year and he's probably next on the list for an extension.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...grabs-hold-of-no-3-receiver-job#ixzz1Y6Yh0gp4

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's a blurb on Jordy. Glad to see he's finally getting some credit.

(TheHuddle) Green Bay Packers WR Jordy Nelson is the team's clear No. 3 wide receiver and has caught more than any other receiver since the start of the playoffs last season. Nelson runs most of his routes across the middle but does have some deep routes.Analysis: Fantasy owner should view Nelson as a solid No. 3 wideout in deep leagues capable of surprising owners with bulging stat lines.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
It's a sham from the word go that Jordy isn't starting, as he's the best WR on the roster. :dodgy:

backrow

Hall of Famer
It's a sham from the word go that Jordy isn't starting, as he's the best WR on the roster. :dodgy:

exactly, and that proves it... number 3 receiver my ASS!

Jordy Nelson and Greg Jennings each have exactly 447 yards and four touchdowns since the start of last year's playoffs.

Jennings is clearly the Packers' No. 1 receiver, but Nelson has put plenty of distance between himself and Donald Driver or James Jones as the second option among the wideouts. He's getting open against single coverage while showing a knack for big plays. Nelson is scheduled to hit free agency in 2012, and beat writers have speculated that he's next on the list for a contract extension.

and that's with what, 3rd of Jennings snaps?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a good article that touches on race. (And Jordy doesn't seem to be up to date on the White receivers in the league, which indicates that like many jocks he's not attuned to the Caste System like we are and may be completely oblivious to it.) Over his last 8 games dating back to the end of the 2010 regular season, the playoffs and the first two games of this season, Nelson has 34/610/5, which if maintained would over a full season come out to 68/1220/10, elite numbers among NFL receivers. And this from a guy who isn't even officially a starter and isn't on the field all the time like Greg Jennings, who has similar numbers over the past 8 games.

Packers utilizing Nelson’s under-the-radar speed more

- The disparity in production is perplexing. During training camp practices, Jordy Nelson wasn't the lights-out receiver he has been on Sundays. Slants scarcely revved into touchdowns. He rarely posterized helpless undrafted rookies.

Maybe because at Ray Nitschke Field - as opposed to, say, Bank of America Stadium - there are no surprises. Here at home, the Green Bay Packers wide receiver cannot sneak up on anybody.

"Those young DBs told me when they first got here that (cornerbacks coach) Joe Whitt told them, 'Don't let Nelson sneak up on you,' " said Nelson, smiling. "It's that long stride."
On game day, for some reason, he remains a secret. That deceptive speed keeps burning defenses.

Dating back to Week 16 of last season, Nelson has been one of the best receivers in the NFL. Starting with a 45-17 flogging of the New York Giants at Lambeau Field, Nelson has caught 34 passes for 610 yards and five touchdowns in an 8-0 span for the Packers, leapfrogging Donald Driver (27-305-0) and James Jones (18-204-3) as the go-to option opposite Greg Jennings (41-686-4).

His timing couldn't be better. In the final year of his rookie contract, Nelson figures to be next in line for an extension. The Packers are close to $7.6 million under the salary cap. Right guard Josh Sitton reached a five-year deal with the Packers earlier this month, and Jermichael Finley probably needs to keep proving he can stay healthy before he's extended. Meanwhile, Nelson has picked up precisely where he left off in 2010.

Driver is the team's newly minted career receiving leader, Jones inked the off-season contract and Randall Cobb is the intriguing rookie. But it's Nelson who has entrenched himself as the No. 2 option at wide receiver. On a crowded offense, he's maximizing his chances.

"It's just opportunities," Nelson said. "It's all about opportunities. With the group of guys that we have, you never know when you're going to get it. When you do, you have to make a play."

Look no further than Green Bay's 30-23 win over Carolina last weekend. Coach Mike McCarthy can easily point to this game if any player gripes for the ball.

Most of the game, Nelson was invisible, an afterthought. He played 33 of the offense's 58 snaps and was targeted only twice. On that second target, he took advantage. With Green Bay leading by a touchdown, Aaron Rodgers had a run/pass option at the line and rolled the dice.

Nelson cradled the skinny post, turned upfield and Panthers defensive backs Captain Munnerlyn and Sherrod Martin were rendered specks in his rearview mirror. Or, in Munnerlyn's case, a splattered insect on Greg Jennings' windshield.

That 84-yard dagger can send a message.

"It kind of keeps everyone hungry as far as wanting to make that play, wanting to be a part of going out and making a special play for us," wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett said. "All of guys look at that. Jordy, without a doubt, has been one guy that's made the most of his opportunities. Without a doubt."

All Nelson was thinking at the time was "Catch this, move the chains, get another first down." Then, his speed kicked in again. Sure, he's underestimated.

"As a few people in the locker room have informed me, it's probably because of my skin color," he said. "I'm a little taller. I don't look fast. But my stride catches up to people once I get going."

There aren't many receivers, um, like him around.

"I went 84 (yards) and Wes Welker went 99. We're coming back," he said, pausing to think of another white receiver. "I think (Brandon) Stokley's still around. . . . If they underestimate me, that's fine. I don't care what they think. It benefits me if they don't think I'll get by them."

That might be the case. Nelson is consistently winning one-on-one battles. During his eight-game run, Nelson has logged receptions of 84, 80, 38 and 36. He's beating jams and getting separation. Smaller players - think Darren Sproles and DeSean Jackson - are often typecast as speed demons because of a choppier stride. Nelson's longer, impala-like stride is deceptive.

"It's different when you get on the football field and people are chasing you," Cobb said. "Jordy has exceptional speed and knows how to run routes. When he's running away from guys, he knows how to pull away."

Chemistry with Aaron Rodgers - four years in the making - hasn't hurt, either. It's one thing to know the playbook, Nelson says. Mastering the idiosyncrasies of this offense is another thing. He's in grad school now.

Rodgers prefers certain routes run certain ways, down to specific angles and leverage points against corners. Nelson says the offense adds a route every week, a new wrinkle to something already in the playbook. A clear trust between Rodgers and Nelson has developed.

The last eight games, Nelson has been targeted 48 times, ahead of Jones (25) and Driver (38) - two receivers that had produced more than him up to that point.
"It just takes time, takes reps," Nelson said. "Every day I'm learning something new with him."

If he keeps it up, a payday will follow. General manager Ted Thompson prefers to lock up players before they hit the market. For now, nothing is imminent. Both Nelson and his agent, Vann McElroy, insist they're not worried about a new contract any time soon.

"I'm here to play football," Nelson said. "That's all it is. They're going to do what they have to do upstairs, so I'm just grinding every day, trying to get better."

Added McElroy, "It's not necessarily a concern. The expectations are that he's just going to play his tail off each week for his teammates and coaches. When that happens, it happens."

Unlike outsiders, Nelson wasn't surprised that Jones was re-signed. He says he was thrilled the offense's core returned in full, even adding that Jones was "slighted" in free agency by the lockout.

If he so chooses, Nelson will have his crack at a normal March. Then again, it may be foolish for the Packers to let Nelson reach that point.

On an offense loaded with weapons, Nelson has quickly become one constant.

"Do your job, that's all it is," he said. "With everyone we have, from receivers to tight ends and our running game, you just have to do your job. If you get the ball, you have to catch it and make the most of it."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/Packers-utilizing-Nelsons-under-the-radar-speed-more.html

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Few people know the backgrounds of white receivers like Jordy Nelson. He ran a very solid 10.6 100m, so he has legit deep speed. Jerheme Urban ran around the same time. Both should be considered deep threats instead of being labeled possession receivers by the DWF's. Unless a white player is among the fastest players in the league like Kevin Curtis and Don Beebe were, they aren't given credit for their athleticism.

Scouting reports are very inaccurate. Most scouting reports I have read claim that Nelson isn't a burner. It doesn't take a genius to see how wrong they are.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting quote and it is nice to see him say "we're coming back" even if he isn't aware of many other White receivers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nelson stupidly signs for far less than his open market value. Why wouldn't he wait until the end of the season and see what what kind of offers he received? Even in the Caste System NFL he could have done much better than this and at worst he could have re-signed with the Packers then.

Packers signed WR Jordy Nelson to a three-year, $13.35 million extension through 2014. The deal contains $5 million guaranteed. Nelson was signed for just $639,000 in 2011, so the annual average on the total package is under $3.5 million. It's a steal of a deal for Green Bay, and another feather in dominant GM Ted Thompson's cap. Nelson, 26, has racked up 64 catches for 976 yards (15.25 YPR) and seven touchdowns in his last 16 games, and his offensive role has continued to grow. The Packers now have him under control through his age-29 season. Nelson has emerged as an every-week WR3 in his fourth NFL season.

bigunreal

Mentor
I mentioned this on the Week 4 thread. Don't white players have agents? What kind of self- respecting agent would let his client do something like this?

Jordy is better than the present #1 WR on a majority of NFL teams. This move is ludicrious in every way. He misses out on a huge pay day, and ensures that his playing time will almost certainly always be limited. But, hey, maybe they sold him on winning another Super Bowl.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
maybe b\c he wants a shot at another Superbowl with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball?! Just a guess :biggrin:

backrow

Hall of Famer
with Rodgers, he seems to be in safe hands, as long as he gets a similar snap count to what he had last week. granted, he could have been an undisputed number 1 elsewhere, but then we could have had another Bennett situation... so all in all, maybe not the worst decision ever.

JReb1

Mentor
Jordy will still only be 29 when this contract ends and if he continues improving he'll get a huge contract then.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nelson Stepping Into New Role

By Mike Spofford, packers.com staff writer

Jordy Nelson never had a problem with the term "possession receiver," but he knew it didn’t really fit him.

A possession receiver makes the key catches on third down to move the chains. It’s a valuable role, but the label also carries the connotation that a receiver lacks big-play ability, that he’s not a game-breaker.

In his last dozen games, Nelson has broken the mold.

"It’s a weird label that’s out there, but I think I’ve proven to be more diverse than whatever that means," Nelson said.

Dating back to Week 16 of last season, when he caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers against the New York Giants to help jump-start what is now a 12-game winning streak for the Packers, Nelson has become as dynamic a big-play threat as anyone in Green Bay’s high-octane offense.

He has 47 receptions for 862 yards and seven touchdowns over the 12 games, including last season’s playoff run. Compare that to Nelson’s numbers from his first 44 games in the NFL: 95 catches, 1,116 yards and six TDs.

The latter numbers are those of a possession receiver – roughly two catches per game, one score every seven contests or so and an average of 11.7 yards per catch.

The more recent stats scream playmaker – four catches per game, a score every other contest and 18.3 yards per catch – and they’re a major reason Nelson, in his fourth season, recently was rewarded with a long-term contract extension.

"He’s grown into his role here," Offensive Coordinator Joe Philbin said. "He’s gotten better every year, which you hope is a common theme in your program, that guys get better as their careers evolve. He’s certainly a poster boy for that."

What stand out the most, of course, are the big plays. Coming into 2011 off his nine-catch, 140-yard day in the Super Bowl, Nelson caught an 84-yard touchdown pass in Week 2 at Carolina in the fourth quarter to seal a win. Then he hauled in a 50-yard TD against Denver in Week 4 and a career-best 93-yarder last week against St. Louis.

With three touchdowns of 80-plus yards in his career now, Nelson is suddenly tied for second in franchise history in that category. Scoring those three long TDs in a span of eight regular-season games makes him, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, the first player since the 1970 league merger to have three 80-plus yard TD receptions in that short a time.

The reasons, in addition to the natural career development of a high second-round draft pick, are numerous.

Philbin believes it’s partly "right place, right time, right coverage, right play-call," and Nelson has taken advantage of those situations. A good example was last week’s 93-yard TD, when the Rams blitzed their free safety for the first time all game with the Packers backed up inside their own 10.

Nelson’s deceptive speed also is a factor. Edgar Bennett, Nelson’s position coach, believes Nelson’s speed is underestimated by opponents, a sentiment Rodgers has expressed in the past, as well.

"I think it’s always been that way, just based on being a longer strider," Nelson said. "I don’t think I’m getting any faster or anything. It’s just being more precise with my routes, trying to be quicker in and out of breaks, probably."

Nelson also has put in the work developing a trust with Rodgers as a guy he can count on when the offense wants to take a shot down the field. So-called "shot plays" require the coaching staff to be confident in the call and the quarterback to be confident in his first read.

"It’s one of those things – once you make a couple of big plays, then it’s a thing that keeps going," Nelson said. "But once you don’t, someone else is getting that opportunity. We say it all the time, you have to make the most of your opportunities, and I’ve been able to do that this year."

Bennett believes it’s not just during the games that Nelson has earned that trust from Rodgers. It’s been building over the course of four seasons on the practice field, even though Nelson’s longest career reception prior to last year’s Giants game was 51 yards and his longest TD was just 33 yards.

"I think the more you establish yourself in practice, you practice a certain way, that builds a foundation and builds confidence," Bennett said. "Our QBs know if they put that ball up there he’s going to attack the football and make a play."

Nelson is by no means a finished product. His Super Bowl performance might have been even better if not for a couple of dropped passes, and he had his first drop of 2011 last week on a short third-down throw. Still, his 20.7-yard average per catch this season (20 catches, 413 yards, four TDs) ranks second in the league this season among receivers with at least 15 receptions.

Having not played receiver in high school and playing the position only three seasons in college at Kansas State, Nelson admits he was still learning a lot of basics and tricks of the trade when he first entered the NFL. So the current explosion of his career at this stage may have simply been a function of untapped potential.

The Packers can only hope so.

"It’s all about being on the same page, the same landmarks, and Aaron has expectations of me to get open," Nelson said. "He’s seen it a couple of times, so we just have to continue to do it."

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...new-role/8c13d892-75c3-4b49-ae72-9de4d402bed4

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This kid reminds me a little of Lance Alworth who had a nick name of "Bambi". Jordy Nelson is not only very fast but he has the balance and coodination of a dancer as well as excellent hands. The future is bright in Green Bay as long as Rogers and Nelson remain healthy. This guy needs to have the ball thrown his way many more times. It's a crime how little he has been targeted. I think that should change in the 2nd half of the season.

This kid reminds me a little of Lance Alworth who had a nick name of "Bambi". Jordy Nelson is not only very fast but he has the balance and coodination of a dancer as well as excellent hands. The future is bright in Green Bay as long as Rogers and Nelson remain healthy. This guy needs to have the ball thrown his way many more times. It's a crime how little he has been targeted. I think that should change in the 2nd half of the season.

I saw Lance Alworth play on TV many times during the 1960's. I see no resemblance on the part of Jordy Nelson to Lance Alworth.

If Nelson had Alworth's hands (remember the drops in the Super Bowl?), leaping ability, and ability to tap dance in bounds after a reception, you could compare them. Since he doesn't, you can't.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i agree. Jordy is simply, Jordy and Lance was a great player but in a different mold.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
The key here is white lightning said Jordy reminds him of Lance a “littleâ€￾. I’m going to agree with him. Since, I was thinking about it just a few days ago. Here’s what I noticed; the spring in Jordy’s legs seems to propel him in the same manner as Lance. Not saying it’s identical. It was close enough to make me think of Lance when I was watching him gallop towards the end zone last week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jordy had another very nice game in Week 8 and now has 570 receiving yards through the first half of the season, continuing his hot pace at the end of 2010 and through last season's playoff games. What makes that statistic remarkable is that Nelson is still essentially a part-time player. Against San Diego on Sunday, Greg Jennings played 50 offensive snaps, followed by James Jones with 31, Nelson with 29, and Donald Driver with 26. Randall Cobb had a season low 6 plays.

Only Jennings is out on the field regularly among the Packers receivers. Jennings is a very good receiver, one of the top ten in the NFL -- but Jordy is just as talented if not more so. Nelson is bigger and faster and is the top big-play receiver in the league in 2011. If Jordy was playing every snap as he should be he would likely have stats close to what Wes Welker has for New England.