Jerheme Urban

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Seahawks are pretty much depleted at wide receiver this week. Darrell Jackson, Jerry Rice and Bobby Engram are all listed as questionable for Sunday's game on the team's injury report. Alex Bannister just went on IR. The only healthy receiver is Koren "Hands of Stone" Robinson, who may get a four-game suspension from the league office at any time for violation of the NFL's drug policy.

Seattle has three receivers on its practice squad -- Jerheme Urban, Taco Wallace and Jason Willis. All are reportedly practicing with the team this week. Urban of course is white and has a world of talent -- if the NFL were remotely close torace-neutral in the way it uses players Urban would have already been at least the number three WR on the Seahawks before all the injuries hit.

Let's see if Urban is promoted from the practice squad and is used Sunday, or ifHolmgrenmakes the "safe" choice and instead goes with one or both of the black scrubs.

G

he'll probably play because of the situation the Dolphins were in when they had to play Forsey. whites get the nod only after the blacks have been depleted.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Urban will shine if they play him.He has all the qualities that make up a fine receiver.I will be
watching him on Sunday assuming he plays.If he does
play,look for a big game from him.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban will be the Seahawks #4 receiver Sunday. Koren Robinson starts a four-game suspension for violation of the NFL's drug policy. Jerry Rice replaces Robinson as the second receiver. Given that Rice is obviously washed up, Urban may get a chance to see the field a fair amount, the key word being "may". Seattle's receivers drop more passes than any other group in the league, to the point that Matt Hasselbeck has lost his confidence. It would be foolish for Holmgren not to play Urban, but we know how it goes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It was another horrible day for the Seattle passing game. Urban had 2/31, which made him the Seahawks' second leading receiver. He also nearly had a TD, the ball being jarred loose in the endzone and the officials calling it incomplete. Seattle challenged the call but it was upheld.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban had a nice touchdown catch on national TV Sunday night. #2 WR Jerry Rice came up somewhat lame in practice the other day and is now on the injury list, which means Urban could see significant action against the Vikings Sunday in a game that has the possibility to be a shootout. He has all the tools, will arch-caste system advocate Holmgren give him the chance to shine? There's no question that he has all the tools needed to be a star.

robcat

Guru
Urban had 4 for 66 yards in what was supposted to be a crucial game for the young rookies (and old man Jurevicius) competing for the fourth thu sixth receiving positions. With his size, speed and smarts Urban has far and away more talent than any of them but Jurevicius. All he needs is game experience to blossom. It should be Darrell Jackson, followed by Jurevicius and Urban, with the black youngsters and journeymen fighting it outfor 4-6, but it will be almost a miracle if Holmgren doesn't cut one or both of them, most likely Urban.

Kaptain

Master
Actually it should just be Jurevicius and Urban starting. Darrel (hands of stone) Jackson has no business being a number one reciever in the NFL. Jurevicuis proved his worth way back with the NY giants and then was the key factor in finally giving Tampa Bay the game-breaking threat they needed to win the superbowl. How has Tampa done since Jurevicuis got injured and came back to just ride the bench? Not Well. Despite what he has accomplished the only chance he was given to be a starting reciever was the four games prior to his injury.Darrell Jackson on the other hand can lead the league in dropped passes and still not only start but be a number one reciever year after year. The gutless holmgren will almost surely cut one or both of them (Urban and Joe) and Seattle will once again league the league in dropped passes. How does a head coach not address a teams well documented biggest problem? Seems he would rather lose his job then be accused of being white friendly.

nj816

See that the Urban has been signed to the active roster by Seattle. I wonder if he will be able to unpack before he is sent on his way again.

Other then David Kircus, I can't think of a white skill player that has been jerked around more. I give a lot of credit to Urban and others for what they must go through trying to break down the caste system.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
At least it was injury related rather than just cutting him again because they knew no one else would pick him up. Holmgren was quoted in an article as saying how tough and unfortunate it was that they had to cut Jerheme. I don't know if Holmgren was momentarily lucid or was confusing Urban with Koren Robinson!

backrow

Hall of Famer
good news for Jerhame:

Cardinals | Urban could compete for No. 4 receiver role
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:15:16 -0700

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Jerheme Urban may eventually compete for the team's No. 4 receiver spot.

with Matt Leinart throwing to him? he could do worse!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
backrow said:
good news for Jerhame:

Cardinals | Urban could compete for No. 4 receiver role
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:15:16 -0700

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Jerheme Urban may eventually compete for the team's No. 4 receiver spot.

The key word is "could," but still I figured after the Cowboys cut him, after Mike Holmgren had previously waived him a dozen times or so, that Urban was finished.

Urban is certainly an NFL caliber receiver. His career NFL stats in very limited play -- 13/268/1, an average of 20.6 yards per reception.

Ken Whisenhunt brought WR Sean Morey, the Steelers' White Special Teams Demon, over with him when he was hired by Arizona and if the pre-season was any indication Morey may actually get some playing time at receiver in the regular season with the Cardinals, as he should have with Pittsburgh. After 15+ years as a coal black team, the Cardinals may finally be changing.

jared

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
Ken Whisenhunt brought WR Sean Morey, the Steelers' White Special Teams Demon, over with him when he was hired by Arizona and if the pre-season was any indication Morey may actually get some playing time at receiver in the regular season with the Cardinals, as he should have with Pittsburgh. After 15+ years as a coal black team, the Cardinals may finally be changing.
I'll give a "cheers" to that.

jared

Mentor
Urban is really making the best of his time today w/ Boldin out. So far he has 4 catches, 50 yards and a TD. He's been targeted a lot by Kurt Warner. I think he's easily playing himself past white special teams demon Sean Morey on the depth chart today.

jared said:
Urban is really making the best of his time today w/ Boldin out. So far he has 4 catches, 50 yards and a TD. He's been targeted a lot by Kurt Warner. I think he's easily playing himself past white special teams demon Sean Morey on the depth chart today.
In the Caste NFL, I wouldn't be surprised if he was demoted as soon as Bolden returns.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Of course Bolden will get his starting job back, but lets hope the Cards play Urban as their 3rd WR and move him past Bryant Johnson on the depth chart. Johnson has done little in his career after being a first round draft pick in 2003. Johnson has never caught more than 49 balls in a season and his top TD total in a season is four and his top season receiving yardage is 740.

The Cards could certainly use Urban's speed. Fitzgerald is a physical receiver with average speed who runs great routes and is quick. Bolden is slow, but has game speed, he runs excellent routes and is physical and is fearless catching the ball . Urban brings a whole new dimension with being able to stretch the field vertically. If Urban showcases his talent maybe he'll land a starting job on another team in the future!
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think he earned himself number 4 slot atm, at the expense of Sean Morey. hopefully Wisenhunt will move him past B. Johnson soon. as a real slot guy Urban can easily be a big factor in Cards passing game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that he should havepassed Morey and is the third receiver while Boldin is out. When Boldin plays again Urban will drop to fourth but should be able, even in the Caste NFL, to pass the chronically underachieving Johnson as the season goes along. Given Boldin's susceptibility to injury that could boost him to second receiver if Boldin gets hurt again.

As much as I want Leinart to succeed, Urban will develop faster with Warner in there for now.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i went to cards.com forums to check out what the fans have been saying about Urban. most of them didn't know him previous to the game (some guy thought it was Morey, even though he looks nothing like him
smiley4.gif
).
overall, they are obviously happy with him and more than one said that they would love for Urban to push Johnson for number 3 slot.

sounds good to me
smiley1.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
I know that Urban was criticized for "dropped" passes the last game. Somehow, I suspected that perhaps they weren't exactly the sort of "drops" that Darrell Jackson, Dennis Northcutt and so many others have made famous in recent years. I saw one of those "drops" on an ESPN highlight show, and it was not only not a drop, it was almost a fantastic one-handed catch. To criticize Urban for that is ludicrous. It reminded me of when, early in Matt Jones's career, he was actually taken to task for catching too many passes one-handed! How do you possibly argue with something like that? White skill positions players simply can't win.

Tom Iron

Mentor
bigunreal,

I remember years ago that one of the biggest jerks ever to coach the Giants, cut Don Marnard because he didn't like the way he caught the ball.

Tom Iron...

backrow

Hall of Famer
from kffl:

Cardinals | Urban misses practice Wednesday

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:41:06 -0800

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals WR Jerheme Urban (heel) did not participate in practice Wednesday, Nov. 28. He is considered week-to-week.

Cardinals | Kolodziej misses practice Wednesday
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:39:51 -0800

Darren Urban, of AZCardinals.com, reports Arizona Cardinals DT Ross Kolodziej (quadriceps) did not participate in practice Wednesday, Nov. 28. He is considered week-to-week.

so at least he's injured and wasn't a healthy scratch lat two weeks

G

Jerheme is clawing his way up the depth charts, and had a solid pre-season game against the Saints, earning a mention in the AZ Republic's camp report:

"Steve Breaston is still the leading contender for the third receiver's spot, with Jerheme Urban making a push for more playing time over the past week or so."