Jerheme Urban

guest301

Hall of Famer
He's been making that push his whole career. Hopefully it works out for him this time. He's got speed to burn, decent size and good hands. In a sane world,that should be more than enough.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban is reliable, productive and has excellent physical tools; Breaston, a bust at Michigan compared to the expectations for him and a bust so far inthe NFL,is "athletic" and flashy. Guess which one will be the Cardinals' #3 WR?

jared

Mentor
lumsdenpower said:
who was throwing the football when Urban had good game last year? Leinart or Warner?

He had one good game with Leinart and a great game with Warner. Overall I think he caught more with Warner.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
While recommending picking up Urban this week in fantasy football, Brad "The Noise" Evans of course had to pull the usual caste jargon. Comparing white receivers to other white receivers must always be followed, even when the comparison makes little sense.

"Urban, who resembles Brandon Stokley in style and substance, is a down field threat who has logged several explosive connections with Warner this year."

Comparing the 5-11 slot receiver Stokley to the 6-3 Urban makes little sense. Evans even concedes he had "several explosive connections". Stokley does not fit that bill, his longest catch is 36 yards this year, respectably. Urban is a down field WR with size and speed.

I know this is a small thing but it caught my attention just because of the stupidity. Why can't a white be compared to a black? Can writers not put race aside and compare players fairly? To me it seems like a small barrier that should be torn down but yet it still stands. How can America have an honest discussion about race in sports when we can't even get past this...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's a ridiculous,patently racist practice that's been going on for a long time. For about a decade, every single white receiver, no matter howdifferent in size and speed,was compared to Ricky Proehl. It can be comical at times because it's carried to such absurd extremes.

Don Wassall said:
It's a ridiculous, patently racist practice that's been going on for a long time.  For about a decade, every single white receiver, no matter how different in size and speed, was compared to Ricky Proehl.  It can be comical at times because it's carried to such absurd extremes.

For a long time, they would compare any white WR who had any speed to Lance Alworth. When Kirk Gibson was playing football in 1978 at Michigan State, the NFL scouts called him a bigger, faster Lance Alworth. As I previously wrote, Cris Collinsworth complained when being compared to Alworth in 1981. Collinsworth (rightly) called this a racial put-down. Of course, Cris is now one of the worst commentators of this type.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban has been completely phased out of the Cardinals offense, to the point that he has become a healthy scratch, including tonight's game. He finally got a chance to play last year and did very well, then it's right back to Screwed White Players Land.
I found this on a BleacherReport article:

One quiet development of late is receiver Early Doucet apparently passing Jerheme Urban on the depth chart. Although it is still not reflected officially on the team-issued depth chart , Urban was a healthy inactive two games in a row, and has not registered a productive game since the fifth game of the season.

Last season Urban was a very productive fourth receiver with nearly 500 yards receiving on 34 receptionsâ€"impressive considering the three above him all had over 1,000 yards. The curious bit is that Doucet hasn't obviously outplayed Urban and is not as fast.

Maybe Urban was benched for one too many drops in key situations? Perhaps the coaching staff is eager to groom Doucet to take over Anquan Boldin's role on the team for next season?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/297523-state-of-the-arizona-cardinals-as-they-prepare-for-titans

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Same old story. Same old song and dance. The nfl is the worst when it comes to ruining the careers or white football players.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
F the Cardinals. I used to root for them because of Urban and Warner. Now that the team has an all black defense and no Urban, they can go screw themselves and I'm glad they lost tonight.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban doesn't have great hands for a White receiver, but is still better than most blacks in that department. He was unceremoniously phased out of the Cardinals passing game last season despite possessing nice size and speed and a willingness to go over the middle to make tough catches, not to mention he's also a good blocker. He's been royally screwed over except for the '08 season so it's hard to expect much but in a color blind league he could be a starter for a number of teams.

The Cardinals opted to not extend tenders to WR Jerheme Urban, TE Stephen Spach, FB Justin Green, S Hamza Abdullah, and C Ben Claxton, making them unrestricted free agents. Urban is the biggest name here. The Cards were unimpressed with his play at receiver last year, and he's no longer a big factor on special teams. Other than Spach, the rest of the non-tendered players are annually roster fodder.

StarWars

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
He was unceremoniously phased out of the Cardinals passing game last season despite possessing nice size and speed and a willingness to go over the middle to make tough catches, not to mention he's also a good blocker. 

Well if the NFL had a decathlon Urban would surely win it. He ran a 10.60 100m (not even sure if that's his PR), and was a good 400m runner, javelin thrower, and a 47 ft triple jumper.

It's funny how the few white receivers in the NFL literally have to be potential Olympic athletes just to ride the bench.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
StarWars said:
Don Wassall said:
He was unceremoniously phased out of the Cardinals passing game last season despite possessing nice size and speed and a willingness to go over the middle to make tough catches, not to mention he's also a good blocker.

Well if the NFL had a decathlon Urban would surely win it. He ran a 10.60 100m (not even sure if that's his PR), and was a good 400m runner, javelin thrower, and a 47 ft triple jumper.

It's funny how the few white receivers in the NFL literally have to be potential Olympic athletes just to ride the bench.

Bill Schroeder was another one that fit that description and he was one of the most hated players in league history when he was "allowed" to start for a few seasons with the Packersfollowing the usual process of being bounced between teams.

JReb1

Mentor
Schroeder and Jervey were the 2 fastest guys on the Packers at that time yet neither ever got a chance to shine even though they both were successful in their limited opportunities.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JReb1 said:
Schroeder and Jervey were the 2 fastest guys on the Packers at that time yet neither ever got a chance to shine even though they both were successful in their limited opportunities.

They sure were the fastest guys on the Packers at the time. Not only that they were among the fastest players in the league. I remember that Jervey did compete in the NFL's fastest man competition.

JReb1

Mentor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMdOC9GbOQ

He's too "slow" to be a starting RB, right...
smiley6.gif

Edited by: JReb1

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's more that he failed to "open his hips" enough, relegating him to White Special Teams Demon status.
smiley29.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Considering the Cardinals traded Anquan Boldin (and Kurt Warner retired), the dumping of Urban seems extra strange, even for the Caste NFL. I hope that team goes right back in the crapper where it rested for so many years with its long tradition of coal black rosters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urban is signed by the Chiefs and is promptly sneered at by Rotoworld. I like the signing though, Cassell should be improved this year and KC is weak at receiver. Hopefully Urban and Lance Long can both be important components of the passing game.

Chiefs signed WR Jerheme Urban. The former Cardinal is snapped up by his former coach Todd Haley. Urban has good size and caught 34 passes in 2008, but he's a classic fourth receiver at best. Luckily for him, the Chiefs don't even have a true third wideout. As it stands, Urban has a good chance to make the Week 1 roster.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds promising. Chambers has looked washed up for years despite a bit of a resurgence after signing with the Chiefs last year, and Bowe is a head case:

<H1>Chiefs sign wide receiver</H1>
<DIV ="byline_creditline">
<H4>By ADAM TEICHER</H4>
<H4>The Kansas City Star</H4>

There were times last year, particularly before the Chiefs signed Chris Chambers and during Dwayne Bowe's suspension, that Todd Haley faced a dilemma about which wide receiver to play.

The Chiefs were that thin on their bench. They hope they addressed that problem Thursday by signing Jerheme Urban to a two-year contract.

Urban, 29, is 6 feet 3, 207 pounds and attended Trinity (Texas) University. He has played seven seasons in the NFL, the last three with Arizona.

His familiarity with Haley, the Cardinals' offensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008, will give Urban strong consideration as the slot player when the Chiefs go to three receivers or even as a starter if Chambers or Bowe falters.

Urban's two best NFL seasons came with Haley as the coordinator. He caught a total of 56 passes with six touchdowns in 2007 and 2008, strong numbers considering Arizona's crowded field of wide receivers.

After Haley joined the Chiefs, Urban slipped to 18 catches and zero touchdowns last year.

The Chiefs also have Terrance Copper, Lance Long, Quinten Lawrence and Chandler Williams at wide receiver, but they combined for just 25 catches last season.

Bobby Wade, who caught 36 passes in 2009, is an unrestricted free agent. Urban's signing makes it unlikely that Wade will return.
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/11/1806703/chiefs-sign-wide-receiver.html

Edited by: Don Wassall

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Not a bad situation for Urban and Long in KC. You know that Chambers is a lock after last season's performance and his new contract, "Alligator Arms" Bowe will most likely make it, although he isn't a favorite of Todd Haley, and the rest is a crapshoot. Copper and Lawrence were not impressive, I don't know anything about Williams, but both Long and Urban have history with Haley, and if they impress in minicamps and training camp, I think that they will be given a fair shot, which is rare in the National Caste Football League.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Cards have many needs but it looks like they are picking a receiver in the draft.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rotoworld disses Urban, again. Given that Chris Chambers has mostly looked washed up in recent seasons, I think Urban has a decent chance to be a breakout White receiver this season.

The Chiefs think newly signed Jerheme Urban can be a very solid No. 3 WR, according to ESPN's Bill Williamson. This is more of a reflection on the Chiefs' receiving corps than it is Urban. They can almost certainly find an upgrade at the third wideout spot in the middle rounds of the draft.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
A nice story in the KC Star today about Jerheme. Enjoy!

<H1 id=storyTitle>Chiefs wide receiver Jerheme Urban trying to finally catch on</H1>
<H2 id=sub_line></H2>By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star
<DIV id=story>

Jerheme Urban was trying too hard, and it cost him.

It took two weeks of Chiefs offseason practices before he figured it out, but Urban corrected a mistake he'd been making for too long: Trying to be perfect.

Dropped passes and mental mistakes plagued Urban's first two weeks. He said that was the quickest way to put a player's future in jeopardy, particularly a player with a resumé like Urban's: journeyman wide receiver, 29 years old, fourth team in seven-plus seasons. For years, he just passed through the seasons with this team or that team, never leaving much of an impression. He said it was time to change that.

"I'm not getting any younger,"Â￾ said Urban, who caught 74 passes the last three seasons with Arizona. "I'm ready to make a step, careerwise."Â￾

He has plenty to prove. Urban was undrafted out of Division III Trinity University in Texas when he signed in 2003 with Seattle, playing behind Jerry Rice and Bobby Engram. Then he joined Dallas in 2006, albeit confined to the practice squad. It was Urban's pluck that caught the attention of then-Cowboys assistant Todd Haley, who would later help bring Urban to Arizona and now with the Chiefs.

"He'll do anything asked of him,"Â￾ Haley said after Monday's practice. "I don't think we've seen the top end of Jerheme."Â￾

That's what the Chiefs are counting on, and for now, they're willing to wait out Urban's miscues. Urban admitted Monday that fringe players couldn't withstand many mistakes, and that's why Memorial Day weekend was so important for him. He said the time off allowed him to leave town and calm his nerves.

One of the Chiefs' most underwhelming positions is wide receiver; after Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers, the team has few reliable options for quarterback Matt Cassel. Speedy rookie Dexter McCluster is listed at wide receiver, but he also could occasionally play running back or even quarterback in the Wildcat formation.

Urban said it was during the holiday weekend that he realized his job was to be a calming influence on Cassel and the Chiefs' coaches; perfection wasn't necessary.

"I have one of those personalities where I come in and try to please and do everything right,"Â￾ he said. "Early on, I think I was trying to do things too perfectly, and it was slowing me down a little bit. If I made a mistake, it might have compounded it a little bit.

"You want to be a dependable guy. You want the quarterbacks and coaches to say, ‘Hey, this guy knows what he's doing. He's going to be there for us; he's going to catch the ball.' Early on, I think I was trying to prove that too much. So I just let the game come to me last week."Â￾

Haley said Urban offered the Chiefs' offense an unusual package of size and speed. Urban is listed at 6 feet 3 and 207 pounds, but Haley said Urban was too fast to be considered a possession receiver. Haley said Urban could stretch the field and offer Cassel more downfield options. That's something the Chiefs need if opposing defenses are to respect the team's passing attack and also ease pressure on running backs Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones.

The key for Urban is striking a balance between chasing perfection and not reaching too far to get it. He said that's the only way he would not just make the Chiefs' opening-day roster but also leave an impression on a team after so many years of just passing through.

"I'm scratching and clawing every single day out there because they're always bringing in younger guys, always drafting guys to take your spot,"Â￾ he said. "I never feel like I'm safe. I have to go out there every single day and make the most of it."Â￾

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Wow I like that Haley sees Urban as more of an all around WR and not just a possession guy. Ialso like Cassell and I hope that he can develop a relationship w\Urban. So will Lance Long get the short stick of the deal if the Chiefs stick w\ Urban? Or will they tolerate having two white WRs on a modern day NFL roster? I find it hillarious that the Chiefs consider McCluster as a threat at WR. Gimme a break, the guy is 5'6 in cleats and by no means a "deep threat"