Houston Texans General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Texans kept four established running backs but guess which one is conspicuously missing from this analysis, which is the same as the others I've seen. I haven't given up on Rex being used by this ultra-Caste team but it will likely take some injuries to see the field much. It also wouldn't surprise me if he's waived at some point.

Houston Texans RB Mark Ingram will be involved in a run-first offense with RB Phillip Lindsay and RB David Johnson. The team only has five receivers and will look to run the ball as much as they can, according to sources. Source: NFL Network - James Palmer

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Mark Ingram has been traded to the Saints. The Texans have typically been using 3 running backs every game so hopefully Rex Burkhead gets a good amount of touches going forward.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting:

Texans waived Phillip Lindsay. The writing was on the wall after Lindsay saw a mere three rushes in the Texans' Week 11 win over the Titans. Houston ran the ball 32 times and Lindsay was hardly involved. His forgettable half season with the Texans included 50 rushing attempts for 130 yards (2.6 yards per carry) and one touchdown. Once upon a time, Lindsay was a Pro Bowl running back who gained 2,489 total yards in his first two NFL seasons. Rex Burkhead is the Texans' nominal RB1 while David Johnson handles some pass-catching duties. The Ravens' extremely washed backfield could benefit from a Lindsay addition.

Red Raider

Mentor
Interesting:

Texans waived Phillip Lindsay. The writing was on the wall after Lindsay saw a mere three rushes in the Texans' Week 11 win over the Titans. Houston ran the ball 32 times and Lindsay was hardly involved. His forgettable half season with the Texans included 50 rushing attempts for 130 yards (2.6 yards per carry) and one touchdown. Once upon a time, Lindsay was a Pro Bowl running back who gained 2,489 total yards in his first two NFL seasons. Rex Burkhead is the Texans' nominal RB1 while David Johnson handles some pass-catching duties. The Ravens' extremely washed backfield could benefit from a Lindsay addition.
Weird development for Lindsay who was really good in 2018-2019. Hopefully Rex can put up some numbers behind their bad o-line. He’s definitely towards the end of his career but doesn’t have a lot of mileage, they’d be wise to use him more in the pass game too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
David Johnson faded even faster than Lindsay, from superstar to washed up almost overnight.

Yeah, it's a shame Rex has a terrible o-line to deal with, but maybe he can still put up some good numbers. It may be his last season so let's enjoy him while we can.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
David Johnson faded even faster than Lindsay, from superstar to washed up almost overnight.

Yeah, it's a shame Rex has a terrible o-line to deal with, but maybe he can still put up some good numbers. It may be his last season so let's enjoy him while we can.

You got that right!

Pleasant surprise. Rex started year as what, 4th string back?

Texans OL is all sumo isn't it? Seems like it has been since David Carr!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good opportunity for Mills. Tire rod Taylor will most likely be a backup for Plantation Pete. Seems to be landing spot for average backup Black QBs.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Good opportunity for Mills. Tire rod Taylor will most likely be a backup for Plantation Pete. Seems to be landing spot for average backup Black QBs.

I’d take idler arm over Smiff .
How Smiff is still in the league is beyond me. Smiff is very much less than average lol

Truthteller

Mentor
Hat-tip to outstanding CF poster Freethinker, for bring this Garrett Wallow NFL.com photo to my attention. Upon seeing it, Freethinker asked if Wallow was white? My first reaction, considering Wallow attended TCU, was he's probably the son of white man and a Mexican mother, which is fairly common in Texas. Great example of this is MLB shortstop Jack Mayfield.

But upon closer inspection, I believe Wallow is a lighter skinned mulatto, like NFL safeties Astyn Davis and Erik Harris. Most here at CF don't acknowledge Davis and Harris as white and I agree. Fact is, I doubt Davis (Jets 3rd round pick) would've been drafted at all if it wasn't common knowledge among NFL scouts/execs that he's the son of a black man.

My proof regarding Wallow? Check the start of this ABC13.com Video when he was drafted. His mother looks slightly older than I expected, but is clearly a light-complexioned white women (not Mexican). Also in the video is a mulatto man, who looks like Warren Moon and has a very similar jawline and protruding chin to Garret. I suppose Garrett is either his son or nephew? Also, in the video, go to the 9 second mark of his Pro Day workout, he clearly does not look white.

Last edited:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
So ends the strange saga of David Culley Texans coach as we stated here his hiring smacks of trolling or getting Richard Lapchick off of the backs of the family running the Texans as even Rotoworld questioned the credentials of Culley running a team at 65?https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/50649/david-culley
What a sh1tshow. Now if you read that blurb, you’ll find out that Jerod Mayo is a front runner to be the new head coach. Mayo, a 35 year old former Patriot linebacker’s resume includes inside linebackers coach and “defensive assistant”. I’m sure that makes him totally qualified. What could possibly go wrong?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What a sh1tshow. Now if you read that blurb, you’ll find out that Jerod Mayo is a front runner to be the new head coach. Mayo, a 35 year old former Patriot linebacker’s resume includes inside linebackers coach and “defensive assistant”. I’m sure that makes him totally qualified. What could possibly go wrong?

Black head coach interviews are way up this year. I wish they would make the same efforts at the player level but of course we know that won't happen.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Black head coach interviews are way up this year. I wish they would make the same efforts at the player level but of course we know that won't happen.
I guess they have to scrap the bottom of the barrel to find 2 or 3 blacks to interview by mandate now. I get that but are we to believe that these quotas are actually the front runners? I can’t tell if these GMs and owners are really that nuts or if this is just wishfully thinking by some kosher “journalist”.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I guess they have to scrap the bottom of the barrel to find 2 or 3 blacks to interview by mandate now. I get that but are we to believe that these quotas are actually the front runners? I can’t tell if these GMs and owners are really that nuts or if this is just wishfully thinking by some kosher “journalist”.

Soon enough the goal post will be pushed from the number of black coaches interviewed for vacancies to the number of black coaches hired.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Soon enough the goal post will be pushed from the number of black coaches interviewed for vacancies to the number of black coaches hired.
It looks like the coaching totals are going to be something like the supreme court. Ie X amounts of southern judges, X amounts of Catholics, Protestants, Women, Blacks etc.

Getting back to Culley the media is stating that Culley was the proverbial mess hall hand promoted to captain to go down with a sinking ship but it's not like he wasn't well compensated to be in this dilemma and if his team played way over their heads he couldn't have been retained and his contract amended to show that he wasn't really an interim coach masquerading as a permanent coach.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Miracle Houston even won 4 games. I'll give Culley that.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Oh without a doubt I think you’ll be correct with this position. The Marxist bean counters are not happy with how the Rooney Rules are working, and they won’t stop until the last White head coach goes extinct.

NEP01

Guru
I felt from the start that the Culley hire was a PR stunt given the Texans were feuding with their "star" black QB. That was a costly exercise for the Texans to try to prove they aren't "racist"

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I felt from the start that the Culley hire was a PR stunt given the Texans were feuding with their "star" black QB. That was a costly exercise for the Texans to try to prove they aren't "racist"

Agreed. They were facing allegations of rascism dating back to the original owner who had passed away along with Watson's sexual deviance (which is more or less approved behavior by the talking heads). I actually thought Culley did a better than expected job though - Mills improved as the season went on. It sounds like Caserio played a big role in terms of personnel and who was playing (he had headset communication with Culley on the sideline). It would be nice if Caserio ends up being outed as the White friendly brain behind the Pats organization (after Mangini of course).

white is right

Hall of Famer
Agreed. They were facing allegations of rascism dating back to the original owner who had passed away along with Watson's sexual deviance (which is more or less approved behavior by the talking heads). I actually thought Culley did a better than expected job though - Mills improved as the season went on. It sounds like Caserio played a big role in terms of personnel and who was playing (he had headset communication with Culley on the sideline). It would be nice if Caserio ends up being outed as the White friendly brain behind the Pats organization (after Mangini of course).
Yes Watson who might be as screwed up as Brown(and that's saying a lot) and that now that it looks like most of these cases will be settled in civil court the talking heads are acting like Watson is a politician who gave "too friendly" hugs with female colleges.

Jerry Reb

Mentor
Given that the Texans never considered Mills anything more than a stopgap, I doubt they invested much into developing him. For what success the team did manage to have this year, Mills deserves the lion's share of the credit.