Hiking

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tom, I hope your family situation does get resolved soon. Its great that you have made a commitment to being active in the outdoors! I've only been on the App Trail once and it was really cool. It was back in 2004 and I hiked up to and around Clingman's Dome on the Tennessee/North Carolina line. Actually had a bear bump up against my SUV in the middle of the night at Balsam Mountain campground in SMNP during the same trip. I hope to hike more of the App Trail some day.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I took the wife & kids on 2+ mile (small) trail walk at the local park today. I wanted to do a mountain hike, but I'm feeling a little under the weather.My wife & I might sneak in a mountain hike while the kids are in school one day this week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good stuff, Dixie!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The wife, our youngest son & I went down and hiked up Kennesaw Mountain (National Park) yesterday. I'd went to the gym & train legs + cardio in the morning (before the hike), so the ol' "wheels" are a little sore today.
smiley2.gif
I'm trying to hike/trail walk at least 3-4 times a week (with the family), plus stay in the gym 5-6 days a week. Holding 335-340 now
smiley9.gif
, and want to get back down to 265-275 by Christmas. At 6'8 with a very large frame, I'm not sumo-ish, but still need to cut some lbs/bf%.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'm planning on taking a 2-3+ mountain trail hike tomorrow. I'm wanting to up my cardio training in October, and walking inclines always get my HR up quite nicely.
smiley2.gif

Every December i go on Hiking with my friend, its just awesome. Cant wait until the end of December 1 week to get going.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Ahhh, hiking. Something I miss! Most of my life living in California I was a frequent hiker, since I lived right at the base of the foothills, and in addition to that, I was an avid cyclist, regularly climbing the roads and trails. Now that I live in MO, their isn't anything to hike! In SoCal, it was nice to be able to ride/hike above the smog!

Tom Iron

Mentor
thesilentkiller,

Welcome to castefoot ball Sir,

Just a bit about hiking/walking. I'm not a hiker. I wish I were, but because of different combinations of things in my life, there's very little chance I'll ever be a hiker. But I've always been a man who spent a lot of time outside. Now I walk every day, bar none. There are extremely few days I don't do some walking. Even if it's only 3-4 miles. Usually, I walk around 10 miles a day. In all weather. I purchased the clothes I need to walk in this area in inclement weather (N., N.J.) and I use the gear all the time. If a walkers extremetries, head, hands and feet are comfortable, he'll be fine. The best foul weather gear I've found up to now is Gore-Tex (do you know of better gear?). I have the jacket with hood, pants, and shoes and gloves. All Gore-Tex.

Try to get out for a good amount of time each day. It's very good for a man to walk. When I lived in NYC (most of my adult life), I walked to work if I was working in Manhattan, worked outdoors all day, but I did take the subway home. It's great walking in the city in the early morning over the bridges when it's cold.

Tom Iron...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Hey Tom I'm from NJ.  What part of NJ are you from?  I live in Wallington.  It is a small town right next to East Rutherford and Giants Stadium.

Pollyanna

Guru
Here at the southern Oregon coast we have so many trails along with amazing views. Alternately, there are several trail heads leading to redwood forests withing a few miles, so you have a choice of coast or wooded/forest trails. The weather does get rainy, but a little water won't kill ya and the temperatures generally don't get too cold.
Edited by: Pollyanna