Hiking

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Do any of you gentlemen ever go hiking? Do you think its a good way to increase fitness? Have you ever tried hiking up mountains or just hiked at high altitudes? Care to share any stories or memorable hikes? Any lessons learned regarding equipment?

Since moving to the Rockies, I've done a little bit of hiking, but definitely not as much as I would like to. I'm trying to get ready for a 15 mile round trip day hike to an elevation of 11,750 feet and back from an elevation of around 6,900 feet. I've been doing some short training hikes with my wife this week and we've enjoyed being outdoors together. We feel a lot better after hiking and there's the sense of accomplishment that goes along with it. It takes a while to get used to mountain air, but it is becoming more fun to me. So far my longest hike was a little over 4 hours round trip. This morning we did a 2 hour hike and felt great afterward. I'm thinking of doing one more short hike before attempting the 15 miler. I'm looking forward to getting to the top of this mountain that I've been looking at since 2005.

StarWars

Mentor
That sounds awesome, I might go to college in Colorado for that reason alone. Hiking, fishing, camping, rafting, cannooeing. Some people don't know what they're missing out on.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've done some "minor" hiking in North GA a few years ago, and was thinking of getting back into it. It's good cardio (for me) and even if you have solid cardio currently, hiking could still be good "active rest". I was actually/ironically thinking of taking the family for a mountain hike this weekend.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are some pics we took this week. Really beautiful scenery!

DSC01679.jpg

DSC01640.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01644.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

dwid

Hall of Famer
Last time my wife and I went to Colorado to visit her family we went hiking in some small mountain town. Its fun but the altitude really kicks my ass. Maybe I'm more affected by it since i live below sea level hehe. There is really no preparing for it, I was in good shape last time I went but I was still gasping for air when doing any type of activity for extended periods. We didn't go that far but it was fun, hopefully next time I can make the trip longer so I have more time to adjust to the altitude. Good luck on getting to the top. My wife has climbed a few 14ers and Id like to do that one day.Edited by: dwid

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Actually, took the wife & kids on a 4 mile trail hike today. I need to up my cardio during the week & accelerate my weight loss (I'm holding about 335 (at 6'8) now).
smiley9.gif

Col.Reb, good plan on shorter "training" hikes. I'll need to work my way up to anything more than 5-6 miles. I'd like to start doing hikes 2-3 times weekly (+ 5-6 days in the gym...weights+cardio).

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dixie, the wife and I hiked a 4 miler yesterday morning. It was more difficult than the 2 miler we did earlier in the week, mainly because it was a lot of up and down. I'm thinking of trying a 10 miler next week to get ready for the 15 mile summit hike, but I may just go for the whole thing. We'll see. Once you get started on a trail, its tough to turn back. There's always the urge to see the hike through to the end. I've only had to turn back once and that was because I was hiking in mid-April and ran into 3 feet of snow on the trail. Not much I could do, not having any snow equipment.

green fire317

Banned
i go hiking alot because it is relaxing. it helped alot when i had anger prolems. Occasionally i still lose my temper and to calm down i go hiking.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i hike a great deal. for a week this past summer, a friend and i headed out West and hiked in Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park(the most notable feature to me wasAngels' Landing) and, of course,the Grand Canyon! it was amazing!

i hit the Buffalo River for 4 days of canoeing and hiking the first week of July with some other friends. it was a great time, as well. there's some beautiful countryhere inArkansas.

the key to a good hike is taking care of your feet, and during hot weather, of course,you must stay hydrated. for long hikes, it's a good idea to change your socks frequently to help your feet stay dry and not get blisters from debris that's managed to worm its way into your footwear. good shoes/hiking boots are also important. blisters and sprained ankles are a sure way to make life miserable!

The Hock

Master
That Bryce canyon is something to behold. I'm kind of related to them as two of my great grandpa's sisters married sons of Ebenezer Bryce, the guy the canyon is named after. I love Southern Utah.

I do a lot of my hiking when I'm hunting. Tramping around rice fields after pheasant or the hills after deer. Makes the hike much more interesting for me. I need to do more just plain hiking so I can get in better shape for hunting season.

Those hills are getting steeper every year.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Those are some great pictures Colonel. I am actually thinking about going hiking myself this week. I've been laid off from work temporarily so I have plenty of time. Lake Wawayanda in NJ is the spot for me.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool deal about the hiking whiteathlete33! I hate to hear about you getting laid off though. My wife was laid off recently, so the Reb's are having to tighten the belt even more right now, with me not getting any income until school starts back.

JC, awesome stuff man! I bet it was really cool to see those areas. I've never seen any of them, but I imagine it was a sight to behold!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the support Colonel. I hope to be back to work soon since I am a temp and I get laid off every now and then.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Some pics I took today while on a 10 mile round trip hike up to 10,300 feet.
Samefalls.jpg

Thetrailgoesbehindthewaterfall-soco.jpg

DeerCreekLakeandtheHighUintastownso.jpg

TimpanogosSaddlesaboveasmallsnowmel.jpg

PermanentsnowfieldbehindEmeraldLake.jpg

Lessthanhalfofthemountaingoatswithi.jpg

Mothermountaingoatwithkidsnexttoshe.jpg

Europe

Mentor
Col Reb, How long did it take to do the 10 mile round trip? Did you camp out for a night? I have always wanted to do that.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks Dixie! The sights were awesome. I got within 5 feet of two mountain goats.

Europe, it took me 6 hours to do that hike yesterday. I started at 10:30 AM and finished at 4:30 PM. I have thought about hiking to the summit of that mountain during the day, but after getting within 2.5 trail miles of the summit yesterday, I think it would be better to camp overnight and come back down the next day. The summit hike is a 15 mile round trip.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'd love to have that kind of scenery to hike within (especially the snow in July). I do better in colder/cool weather...cardio wise. We do some local hikes/walks, but I want to step it up. I max at about 5-6 miles (with any kind of incline/grade) because my feet get sore (another reason for me to cut some weight).
smiley9.gif
I can go for a good clip on the treadmill in the gym, but the mountain trails/incline where on my feet.

Col Reb, what do you tote when you go on 5-10+ mile hikes? We usually take a backpack with some H2O, trail mix, bug spray, etc. Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dixie, on the 10 miler I had a regular sized backpack with a 100 ounce water pack, a couple of Clif bars (should have taken 3), a first aid kit, my camera, and a few other small items. If I had gone on a longer hike, I would have stuffed another smaller water pack next to the main one. I had plenty of room for it in the backpack, but didn't need it for that hike. Talking about the temps, I doubt it was 65 degrees at the lake, and there was a constant breeze. Coming back down the trail it felt like I was slowly walking into an oven.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Thanks Col. Yeh, I my endurance increases as the mercury drops & vice-versa. I'm built like a polar bear or offensive tackle (not quite "sumo" though).
smiley2.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
those are some beautiful pics, Colonel. there's some wondrous country up in your neck of the woods.

if you're not careful, you and the wife will become addicted to enjoying nature. just think of the horrible possibilities! being outside, sharing good company while engaging in healthy living, and soaking in some of the best views anywhere in the world... the horror!
smiley2.gif

i honestly can't understand why folks would rather sprawl out on the couch eating a bunch of junkfoodand watching the idiot box than go out and have a good time like you obviously did.

sometimes i wonder if idiotWhite folks are worthing fighting to save.

Observer

Mentor
This is a really cool thread. I'm ashamed to admit that I had skipped over it earlier, thinking that it would be boring. Great stuff. Wonderful pics, Colonel_Reb.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah JC, I wonder the same thing. Hiking is addictive. The sights and sounds are so different from the mundane city life that it is tempting to drop everything and head for the woods.

Observer, I'm glad you checked the thread out and are enjoying it!

Tom Iron

Mentor
Colonel_Reb,

I like the pictures too. I'm a lifelong walker, but due to family cercumstances, I'm not able to get to those type of places. But it doesn't stop me from being outdoors each day for severa hrs, every day.
here is no weather that deters me from gping out. I've got all Gore- Tex gear and I'm fine. Once this situation I'm in with my family resolves itself, I hope to spend a few months on te Appalachian Trail.

Thanks for he pictures.

Tom Iron...