Harry Joe Yorgey

Blue Devils

Mentor
He just knocked out Ronald Hearns on Shobox
smiley32.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
smiley36.gif
I had it typed up before the ending was final.

I was going make a thread a few rounds earlier but I didn't want to jinx him.Edited by: Blue Devils

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just finished watching that fight. First congrats to Yorgy winning in dramatic fashion. I see Yorgy was a step above the club fighter status. He must improve though. He does have a good foundation, however, if I am him its time for an elite trainer and I am not talking about Buddy 'loser' McGuirt. He needs a new trainer to help elavate him to the next level.

On a odd note, I listened to the preview interviews. It seemed that Yorgy has some of the dreaded 'wiggerisms', and Hearns spoke good English. Then after the fight, Yorgy was glushing with 'wiggerisms' yelling and screaming ebonic like English. Kinda of annoying. Hearns and his father Tommy 'Hitman' Hearns were gracious in defeat and both congratulated him. I guess these are the exceptions to the rule on both sides.
smiley5.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
A good win on Showtime for Yorgey. With his brawling style I'm not sure how far he will go but it is good to have another white American on the scene (even if he is a wigger).

As for ethnicity, I would guess Irish since he wears green trunks sometimes and Yorgey seems an Irish name.

Sean

Mentor
I'm really happy about this one. I just saw this fight was happening two days ago, and figured Yorgey was a soft touch (because I'd never heard of him before). I saw Hearns fight once before, wasn't impressed, but man did they hype him up! So much for that
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Of course we will hear excuses like Hearns wasn't in shape.

Of course.
smiley36.gif

Some people in the media (who suffer from the delusion they are a "chosen" race) always need to prop up their myth that whites are athletically inferior.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Sean said:
I'm really happy about this one. I just saw this fight was happening two days ago, and figured Yorgey was a soft touch (because I'd never heard of him before). I saw Hearns fight once before, wasn't impressed, but man did they hype him up! So much for that
smiley36.gif
I swear Nick Charles has sounded like he was mentally undressing him in the past. After that ko not sure if the Metrosexual will want Hearns' number now. As for Yorgey he seemed like he was too skilled for Hearns. Previous to this Hearns had only fought losing clubfighter types. He stepped up to triple-A ball and couldn't turn on the fastball. Yorgey should get a decent crossroads fight out of this. Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS, your right, Yorgey is a triple-A-ball fighter, so to speak. I believe he has the ability to go further with the right trainer. I like the way he holds his fists high. Like I said in an earlier post, he should seek a high caliber trainer to refine his skills.

Regarding Hearns, I believe he has ability. He came into this fight too light. Unfortuneatley for him, he has his father's curse, a glass jaw. For him to succeed, he will have to been a long jab boxer.

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS and that crossroads fight is now happening on November 7th. I hope Yorgey got a better trainer!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes I know but Angulo is one tough nut. It's not that Angulo isn't unbeatable. But El Perro was viewed as maybe the top prospect in boxing before he was exposed by Kermit Citron. Anyway this will be a 6 figure payday for Yorgey and an audition to a potential eliminator or a title shot.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Yorgey finds a home at Southside

By Joe Scalzo

YOUNGSTOWN â€" Light middleweight boxer Harry Joe Yorgey is a blue-collar, no-nonsense type of guy, so when he was looking for a new trainer a few months ago, he didn't want someone who would tell him he was great.

He needed someone to help him become great.

Enter Jack Loew.

"I don't want these guys who are like, ‘Hey, you're the champ right now,'"Â￾ said Yorgey, a Bridgeport, Pa., native who has trained with Loew the last two months at the Southside Boxing Club. "I want a guy who's going to push me.

"That's something Jack does."Â￾

Case in point: A few weeks ago, Yorgey â€" who's earned the reputation, and the physique, of a gym rat â€" had an off day.

"At the end of the day, I said, ‘Jack, I felt like crap,'"Â￾ said Yorgey. "He said, ‘Yeah, you looked like crap.'

"That's what I was looking for in a trainer."Â￾

And that's what Loew was looking for in a fighter.

Over the past 21 years, Loew has upgraded from his longtime role as a hard-nosed boxing trainer with a promising middleweight named Kelly Pavlik and a gym the size of a Manhattan studio apartment.

Since Pavlik won the title two years ago, Loew's rise has coincided with his fighter's, bringing fame (Loew was named 2007's Trainer of the Year by several publications), money (not millions, but certainly hundreds of thousands) and a new gym (the new place on Market Street is 4,000 square feet, or about five times the size of the old gym).

What it hasn't brought â€" until now â€" is a championship-level fighter. That changed when Loew's son, John, met Yorgey at a Cory Spinks fight in St. Louis last April. The two exchanged pleasantries, then exchanged numbers, and when word got out that Yorgey was looking to change handlers, Jack gave him a call.

"He said, ‘I'm going to fly you up. If we work together, we do. If we don't, we don't. No hard feelings,'"Â￾ Yorgey, 31, recalled. "The minute I met Jack, I knew I was coming here.

"My decision was right. He's exactly what I thought he'd be."Â￾

Yorgey (22-0-1, 10 KOs) is the No. 4-ranked contender by the WBC and No. 5 by the WBO. (He's ranked in the top 12 by the other two sanctioning bodies, the WBA and the IBF.) He's coming off an impressive knockout victory in March over previously unbeaten Ronald Hearns, who is Thomas Hearns' son.

On Saturday, Yorgey will meet Alfredo Angulo (16-1, 13 KOs) for the vacant WBO Inter-Continental light middleweight title in Hartford, Conn., on HBO. It's a dangerous bout â€" Angulo has good power â€" but if Yorgey wins, he'll likely get a shot at one of the four major belts.

"Listen, I know what we're up against,"Â￾ said Loew. "The telling point of the fight is going to be what happens when we get touched on our chin. I think if we get by this kid's supposedly great power, Harry wins this fight hands down."Â￾

Unlike many of Loew's fighters â€" including Pavlik â€" Yorgey is better known as a boxer than a banger. It's a style he shares with fellow Philadelphian Bernard Hopkins â€" Bridgeport is about 18 miles north of Philly and Yorgey said Youngstown reminds him of his hometown, only bigger â€" and Yorgey prides himself on embarrassing a fighter for 12 rounds rather than knocking him out in two.

"He's not my typical white boy,"Â￾ laughed Loew, whose gym has just about every demographic from the city. "But one thing I've learned through 20-some years of training fighters is, You take what you have and you work with it."Â￾

Although his style is more like Hopkins, Yorgey's demeanor leans more toward Pavlik. He's friendly and outgoing but speaks like a kid from the city. His Philly accent comes through at times â€" he says "wadder"Â￾ rather than water and "tawk"Â￾ rather than talk â€" and, like Pavlik, he's spent his life hearing backhanded compliments like, "You can fight ... for a white guy."Â￾

"I always cheered for Kelly,"Â￾ said Yorgey. "It's kind of ironic that I'm here."Â￾

Although Yorgey enters Saturday's bout as the underdog, Loew, typically, has confidence in his fighter.

"Believe me, I've been in this position before â€" Pavlik against [Edison] Miranda, Pavlik against [Jose Luis] Zertuche, Pavlik against [Jermain] Taylor,"Â￾ said Loew. "I've been the underdog the whole time so it kind of falls into where I'd like to be."Â￾

And Loew is hoping Yorgey will be the first of many top fighters to make the trek to northeastern Ohio.

"This is a big opportunity for him, but it's a big opportunity for me, also,"Â￾ Loew said. "One day me and Kelly's going to come an end and when he walks away from this sport, I don't want it to be the end of my career.

"I think this is a very good first start. I got a kid coming to me in a title position, as I always hoped. Now it's my job to get him to that title spot."Â￾

Westside

Hall of Famer
It should be interesting if Yorgy refined his game. If he didn't the end will come in the 8th round against a tough 2nd tier fighter in Angulo.

G

Apparently this fight is now for a WBO "interim" belt, which is interesting, because if I'm not mistaken the WBO already has TWO other champs, Dzinziruk and Paul Williams.

The major alphabets are getting ridiculous with this kinda thing.

Anyway, good luck to Yorgey, he's a slick boxer and I think he can take Angulo if he stays disciplined.

jcolec02

Mentor
Alfredo Angulo is one of the best pressure fighters in all of boxing. Very strong, surprisingly fast hands and alot of heart, as well as a great chin. The only negative I have seen from him is his lack of defense and head movement. This is going to be a very tough fight for Yorgey.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling Yorgey gets stopped tonight.

Hopefully Harry rises to the occasion and beats Angulo.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Angulo is relentless and a hard puncher. I'll be surprised if Yorgey pulls it off, but anything's possible.

Both the TVU and Sopcast streams here are working well. They're coming from China so they cannot be shut down:

streams for Yorgey fight

G

It was over pretty quick. Yorgey had his chin up in the air and kept getting caught along the ropes. KO3 Angulo.