Goodell: Steelers did not support Roethlisberger

DALLASâ€"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Ben Roethlisberger received no backing from his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates when he interviewed them as part of a disciplinary inquest into the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback.

Goodell's comments, published by Sports Illustrated on Monday, come on the day that Roethlisberger and the Steelers were to arrive in Dallas to prepare for Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

Roethlisberger was suspended by Goodell for six games, later reduced to four, after he was accused of sexual assault last year.

No legal charges were ever brought in the case but the player was suspended for breaching the league's "personal conduct policy"Â￾.

Goodell said that he had spoken to "I bet two dozen (Steelers) players"Â￾ as part of his investigation into Roethlisberger.

"Not one, not a single player, went to his defence. It wasn't personal in a sense, but all kinds of stories like, ‘He won't sign my jersey,"Â￾' he said.

The commissioner, who has made improving off-field conduct a major priority, said he "doesn't feel any connection"Â￾ with the former Pro Bowl quarterback.

The burly, 28-year-old Roethlisberger will be striving for his third Super Bowl ring in six years when he takes the field at Cowboys Stadium.

After sitting out his suspension, Roethlisberger helped the Steelers compile a 12-4 record to become the AFC's second seed, steering them past division rival Baltimore in the playoffs and then downing the New York Jets in the AFC championship to improve his career postseason record to 10-2.

Roethlisberger is due to address the media later on Monday.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...ot-back-roethlisberger-during-inquest-goodell

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Goodell should be fired for a) making that kind of information public, and b) doing it before the leagues biggest game. That kind of breach of privacy is so over the top that it smacks of conspiracy to influence the game. Pittsburgh fans, at the least, should be livid. We here at CF understand the reasons behind the black Steelers lack of support but in DWF-land this should be an apostasy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Virtually none of the Steelers DWFs would have come to Ben's defense at that time either. Despite his great success as a two-time winning Super Bowl QB at a young age, many DWFs have called for Big Ben to be replaced or traded for years. The "incident" in Georgia merely fueled the rage of the DWFs that was already there. White self-hatred knows no bounds; sadly it meshes very well with blacks' hatred of Whites, as sports shows so well to those notmesmerized bythe anti-White matrix.

I agree Jaxvid that Goodell's move reeks of unprofessional-ism and should be treated as an outrage.

Still the treatment Roethlisberger received from his teammates is a stark contrast to the way every afflete from every sport rallies behind one of their own (OJ Simpson, Mike Vick, PacMan Jones) when they are in trouble with the law. Not to mention Roethlisberger was never shown to have committed any wrongdoing. For Christ' sake, his own "teammates" didn't even come to his defense! These are some of the same sumo lineman who are supposedly "protecting" him each and every game. How the Steelers made the Super Bowl is a miracle to me. They can truly thank their defense and their Black Panther coach for motivating them to perform so well. They are the Georgetown of the NFL. The only reason this works is because Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Keisel, Hoke, Spaeth and the rest of their white impact players give 100% on each and every snap regardless of whatever racial BS might be happening with the Steelers. Only the blacks need extra motivation from a hot-headed racist like Tomlin to motivate them.

Don its true the DWFs were just as eager to throw Roethlisberger under the bus, and in many ways this is even more upsetting than not having the support of his own teammates. But the DWFs are too stupid to realize what they are doing, but for me teammates deserting their starting QB is incredible!Edited by: TorontoArgos

The timing of this announcement is ridiculous, outrageous. Seems like a deliberate attempt to destroy team cohesion before the Big Game. Perhaps Goodell feels the same about the Steelers as we do here at CF.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
TorontoArgos said:
The timing of this announcement is ridiculous, outrageous. Seems like a deliberate attempt to destroy team cohesion before the Big Game. Perhaps Goodell feels the same about the Steelers as we do here at CF.

That is the ultimate pipe dream in one sense, but even so, it is crazy for Goodell to do something like this.

Most likely, Goodell said this some time ago and it has only been made public by Sports Illustrated in light of the Steelers super bowl run.

LabMan

Mentor
Anybody will take a shot at a White quarterback whenever possible,DWF's are the worst at it,imagine where the Steelers would be without Ben.,Tim Tebow knows all about these things.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Black racism at it's finest. I wonder how many bruthas supported Pacman Jones after all his legal problems? I'm sure a lot. And how about Convick? After all, he won the Courage Award or whatever it was. White quarterbacks are the ultimate scapegoats.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Racist James Harrison calls out Roger Goodell and Big Ben. He wanted to call Goodell a "white devil" but I guess he settled for devil instead.

[h=2]Harrison blasts Roethlisberger and Goodell in magazine interview
[/h]By Chris Chase
james_harrison_wouldnt_put_out_goodell_if_he_was_on_fire.jpg
James Harrison(notes) isn't fond of Roger Goodell. Or Ben Roethlisberger's(notes) play in the Super Bowl. Or fire safety, for that matter.

In the August issue of Men's Journal, Harrison refers to the NFL commissioner as a "crook," "devil" and "stupid," among other derogatory names and calls out his quarterback for throwing two interceptions in February's Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers.
The Goodell comments are the same sort of stuff the Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker has been saying about the commissioner since he became the poster child for the NFL's recent crackdown on dangerous hits. The Roethlisberger comments are on a new level, even for the outspoken Harrison.
So deep is the linebacker's loathing for the league's commissioner that he says he'd ignore the tenets of fire prevention if he encountered an enflamed Goodell.
"If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate] to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told Men's Journal. "I hate him and will never respect him."
Harrison has made idle threats before, like when he said he was going to retire after being levied a $75,000 fine because he no longer knew the rules of football. That charade lasted a few hours, so I'm nearly certain that Harrison would at least yell "stop, drop and roll" if he encountered Goodell on fire.
If the Goodell comments were more of the same, the shots at Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenall were surprising.
"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," Harrison said about Roethlisberger. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning(notes). You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."
A reasonable interpretation of those comments could be that Harrison is simply saying that Roethlisberger's style is to run a ball-control offense rather than Manning's more aggressive, downfield approach. When you're James Harrison though, you lose the right to have your words parsed. And you also get it pointed out that you had one tackle in the Super Bowl and played on a defense that got shredded by Aaron Rodgers(notes).
The 2008 AP defensive player of the year also called Goodell a "dictator" and a "puppet," two descriptions which should seemingly contradict each other. For his sake, I hope Goodell is more dictator than puppet because the materials made to create the latter would make it exponentially more flammable.
Another Harrison jab: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"
Silly James. Why would Goodell quit and start his own flag football league when he's worked so hard to turn the NFL into one? That's like if I said to Harrison "why don't you quit and go burn bridges somewhere else, like in your own flag football league." It would be insane to waste all the effort he's spent alienating executives, colleagues, media personalities and the president of the United States and simply start over. Flame on!
Update: Mendenhall responded to Harrison's comments on Twitter: "I dont have a problem with what@jharrison9292 said because I know him. But I want you guys 2 check this out: [he linked to NFL rushing stats]."
Harrison can get away with comments like this because he's James Harrison and everybody is used to his ridiculousness. The thing about being controversial is that the more you are, the less you become.
Follow Yahoo! Sports on Facebook and be the first to know about the most interesting stories of the day.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Harrison shares Mike Tomlin's hatred of Ben Roethlisberger, far and away the best player on the team. I like Harrison's style of play, he's an "old school" black in that he plays very hard, and I like how he snubbed Obama by dissing him and not accompanying the team to the White House after their last Super Bowl win. But -- he's been charged with domestic battery and other off the field stuff in addition to his racism. If Roethlisberger can be run out of Pittsburgh, the Rooney Rule organization has an excellent chance of having almost no Whites on the 53 man roster within a year or two other than the kickers and long snapper given how none are drafted and the few others left are in their 30s (Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel) or close to it (Heath Miller turns 29 later this year). Not that the Steelers' DWFs would seem to mind. . .

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Harrison shares Mike Tomlin's hatred of Ben Roethlisberger, far and away the best player on the team. I like Harrison's style of play, he's an "old school" black in that he plays very hard, and I like how he snubbed Obama by dissing him and not accompanying the team to the White House after their last Super Bowl win. But -- he's been charged with domestic battery and other off the field stuff in addition to his racism. If Roethlisberger can be run out of Pittsburgh, the Rooney Rule organization has an excellent chance of having almost no Whites on the 53 man roster within a year or two other than the kickers and long snapper given how none are drafted and the few others left are in their 30s (Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel) or close to it (Heath Miller turns 29 later this year). Not that the Steelers' DWFs would seem to mind. . .

He may play the game very hard, but he's clearly a racist. He's another of the black players who feel they are nothing more than slaves even though they make millions every year. Harrison makes a racial issue out of everything.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
F em all!

P1ss on "Harriscum", Goodell, (AA hire) Tomlin and the Rooneys. Another reason to pull against "$h1tsburgh".

Tom Iron

Mentor
It's interesting how so many blacks like Harrison don't have any idea how the world works. He burned his bridges behind him now and he'll not do well from here on out. If he seems to be doing well, it's only an illusion. People like Goodell just bide their time and at some point, they get back at whoever stepped on their toes.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching Total Access on the NFL Network yesterday when the subject of Harrison's comments came up. The typical NFL Network/U.S. version of "diversity" was present -- all three of the commenters were black. Sterling Sharpe, "Mumbling" Warren Sapp and Jamie Dukes all agreed that Harrison did nothing wrong, that it was up to Big Ben and Rashard Mendenhall to approach him and talk the situation out. Harrison was referred to as the team's "crazy uncle" who earned the right to be the way he is because he's such a good player and who would likely beat up anyone who called him out anyway.

I was watching Total Access on the NFL Network yesterday when the subject of Harrison's comments came up. The typical NFL Network/U.S. version of "diversity" was present -- all three of the commenters were black. Sterling Sharpe, "Mumbling" Warren Sapp and Jamie Dukes all agreed that Harrison did nothing wrong, that it was up to Big Ben and Rashard Mendenhall to approach him and talk the situation out. Harrison was referred to as the team's "crazy uncle" who earned the right to be the way he is because he's such a good player and who would likely beat up anyone who called him out anyway.

I don't know what's worse, when the panel is all-black and discussing the antics of a black player, or when there is one lone white panelist who's the voice of reason, and the rest of the black panel is giving him those dirty "you racist" looks.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

He’ll physically attack anyone who disagrees with his embarrassing, manic, and illogical rants? He sounds like a quality “teammate”…an athlete truly worthy of employment by the Marx-Zion-Irishman, Dan Rooney. The “commentary” from NFL Network is, as always, devotedly and dreadfully irrational.

James Harrison is such a hardcore “racist black supremacist” that he conceived two half-white muts with a white prostitute. Yet another “Back to Africa” hypocrite.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That's a good point Thrashen. If Harrison has disdain for whites, as posters have said his past behavior indicates, then why is he having children with white women? He's a hypocrite and also a pervert for having sex with a woman he likely hated. Having sex with someone you hate is out of lust and/or envy and perversion. I agree with you that black/white dating and miscegnation is not a good idea. If he stopped paying child support, I'm sure BSPN would convienently overlook it as a story also. They wouldn't for a white player.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
That's a good point Thrashen. If Harrison has disdain for whites, as posters have said his past behavior indicates, then why is he having children with white women? He's a hypocrite and also a pervert for having sex with a woman he likely hated. Having sex with someone you hate is out of lust and/or envy and perversion. I agree with you that black/white dating and miscegnation is not a good idea. If he stopped paying child support, I'm sure BSPN would convienently overlook it as a story also. They wouldn't for a white player.

To me it's like some kind of get even thing. Bruthas love to date white women because they know it makes white men mad. They also love to treat the white woman like crap and this is supposed to be some kind of revenge on whitey. Barkley has made plenty of racist comments and he has a white wife as well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Smart career move by Ben. Hope it works well out for he and his bride. Interesting that James Harrison was among the attendees.

Security tight as Roethlisberger weds in suburban Pittsburgh

Saturday turned out to be nice day for a black-and-gold wedding for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
Roethlisberger married Ashley Harlan in a quiet ceremony at a church that both attend in Ohio Township, located in the city's affluent northwest suburbs.

Dozens of Roethlisberger's Steelers teammates, including linebacker James Harrison, attended the service, along with team president Dan Rooney.

Security was tight around Christ Church at Grove Farm, with attendants asked to provide an invitation and identification before being allowed to enter.

Police monitored traffic, but there weren't any issues with the small number of fans who hoped for a glimpse of Steelers luminaries.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...as-roethlisberger-weds-in-suburban-pittsburgh