French Open 2009

GWTJ

Mentor
The final didn't have a lot of drama but watching Federer get his career grand slam and tie Sampras for career grand slam titles made watching this match 'indescribably delicious' and it ranks as one of my all time favorite tennis matches.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Glad for Federer. The pressure really seemed to be getting to Federer the last year or so. Maybe he can relax a bit now and remember he's 27 years old, still in his prime and might still be able to improve parts of his game that Nadal feasts on.

sunshine

Mentor
See if SI sticks him on the cover by himself this time---incredible acheivement --one of my all time favorite athletes maybe all time fave!!!

guest301

Hall of Famer
I wish Federer had decked that idiot who ran out onto the court during the final. I guess that goes against his nature but imagine what McEnroe or Connors would have done to that guy. After what happened to Monica Seles and how that stabbing derailed her career, it's amazing how bad the security was at the French Open.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The final drew a miniscule rating of 1.8, meaning less than 2% of homes with TVs tuned in. It would have drawn better had it been on at a more traditional time of day rather than in the morning, especially for those not in the Eastern time zone, plusthe French Open is the least well known major in the U.S. Jack Nicklaus's Memorial tournament, one of the most prestigious on the PGA Tour, onlygarnered a 3.6 ratingSunday afternooneven withThe Future President of the Worldplaying and winning.

But the old networks continue to lose viewers in general. Little Katie Couric's audience for the CBS Evening News has dropped to just 5,180,000 -- astounding in a country of over 300,000,000. And judging from the commercials, most of what remains of the nightly "news"audience is over 65. That makes it imperative to keep the Internet as free and uncensored as possiblein the coming days.

BTW, congrats Guest301 on becoming a CF Hall of Famer!
smiley20.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Yeah, the average human being gets 90% of his/her news directly from the internet. That way, they can at least filter out some of the seemingly infinate media bias and hand-picked "news" stories. It allows them to search headlines and read exactly what they want....no MSNBC / CBS / NBC / FOX trained-seal mentality and meaningless Democrat/Rebulican "debating."

The reason most of the TV news viewers are over 65 is because they arent from the computer/internet era. Sadly, this older generation is perhaps the most trusting and naive towards the obvious system agenda. I've always found that strange...as senior citiizens, of all people, should realize how great ameriKa once was (compared to today). Edited by: Thrashen

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The final drew a miniscule rating of 1.8, meaning less than 2% of homes with TVs tuned in.   It would have drawn better had it been on at a more traditional time of day rather than in the morning, especially for those not in the Eastern time zone, plus the French Open is the least well known major in the U.S.  Jack Nicklaus's Memorial tournament, one of the most prestigious on the PGA Tour, only garnered a 3.6 rating Sunday afternoon even with The Future President of the World playing and winning.
<div> </div>
<div>But the old networks continue to lose viewers in general.  Little Katie Couric's audience for the CBS Evening News has dropped to just 5,180,000 -- astounding in a country of over 300,000,000.  And judging from the commercials, most of what remains of the nightly "news" audience is over 65.  That makes it imperative to keep the Internet as free and uncensored as possible in the coming days.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>BTW, congrats Guest301 on becoming a CF Hall of Famer! 
smiley20.gif
</div>

Thanks for the congrats Don and for creating this site. I plan on many more posts.

Poacher

Mentor
The miracle of miracles has occurred!

Roger Federer will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated's June 15th issue.

It only took:

14 Grand Slam singles titles

A career Grand Slam

20 straight Slam semifinal appearances

Making the final in 15 of the last 16 Slams

sunshine

Mentor
Nice front page piece on Federer Poacher. I have followed his career very closely and he is a true sports hero of mine.. Almost too good to be true. And yes he should have been on the cover of SI many moons ago--I am not counting the perverse decision to finally put him on the cover with Nadal after losing last year at Wimbledon. That said it was nice to see him get his day in the sun so to speak. Unlike the great great Borg, who lost his fight after Mac knocked him off his perch, Roger hung in there and didn't fade away after true adversity.