French Open 2009

j41181

Master
Well folks, even though the French Open is some months away, my initial prediction is: RAFAEL NADAL (Champion)

If Federer wants to get back to his winning ways, I think it's time he hire a coach, since he hasn't had one for about 2 years now. He has to at least be wondering what's wrong with his game.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
One week till Nadal starts his defense of the title. Nadal and Federer are playing tomorrow in the Madrid Open final. Nadal has been rolling along (what else is new) this clay court season, and Roger has been lackluster. Although, Federer has progress nicely at Madrid beating James Blake, Roddick and Del Potro. Maybe he is comfortable playing in an arena called "The Magic Box". Nadal damn near lost to Novak Djokovic in a four hour or so match.

Sharapova makes her return to the tour this week at Warsaw. It is asking a lot to expect she will have an impact at this year's French Open.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Roger could return the favor and beat Nadal as Bjorn Borg looked on, preventing Nadal from topping Borg's streak of four consecutive titles, after Nadal stopped Federer from topping Borg's five in a row at Wimbledon. Borg has a total of six titles at the French, a super human record in itself. Being realistic, that proposition is much more unlikely than what occurred at Wimbledon.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Would love to see Federer win the elusive French Open and beat Nadal in doing so. It would quite his critics and restore some much needed confidence to Federer. I wish Andy Roddick and Andy Murray some success as well, but the clay courts are definitely not the surface of choice for those two.

Bart

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
Well folks, even though the French Open is some months away, my initial prediction is: RAFAEL NADAL (Champion)

If Federer wants to get back to his winning ways, I think it's time he hire a coach, since he hasn't had one for about 2 years now. He has to at least be wondering what's wrong with his game.

Well, Roger should get a huge boost by virtue of beating Nadal today on CLAY in SPAIN!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=A2KIRyuZlxBKJDkAigQ5nYcB?slug=ap-madridopen&prov=ap&type=lgns

Quiet Speed

Mentor
If everything holds true to form, Nadal-Murray and Federer-Djokovic match-ups are what the semi-finals will look like. Defending champ Ana Ivanovic and Sharapova had first round victories. A sleeper to watch is Victoria Azarenka. Just for the hec of it, as a dark horse pick Gisela Dulko might make some noise.

[tube]_aA65kqueEY[/tube]

Matra1

Mentor
Djokovic was beaten in the 3rd round by Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber. I'd never heard of him but he's seeded #29. The men's game really does have great depth.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Matra1 said:
Djokovic was beaten in the 3rd round by Germany's Philipp Kohlschreiber. I'd never heard of him but he's seeded #29. The men's game really does have great depth.

That's very true, the men's game has lots of depth. However, since the French Open is played on clay that seems to bother alot of tennis players particulary American and British tennis players not used to playing on clay. Playing on clay seems to take away from the power service game and rewards more finesse players who like to stay on the baseline and wait for you to make a mistake. Pete Sampras, arguably the greatest tennis player ever, never won a French Open. Federer hasn't won it either to the best of my recollection. Hopefully he will this year if the two Andy's I am rooting for, Roddick and Murray don't pull it off and win it.

Poacher

Mentor
Nadal being pushed.

OMG Nadal out!Edited by: Poacher

Blue Devils

Mentor
I can't believe Nadal lost.

I'd like to see Federer win and tie Pete Sampras with 14 Grand Slam titles. Edited by: Blue Devils

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Same here. Go Roger. He is the greatest tennis player of all time. He will pass Pete who I loved and rooted for as well. As much as I love Murray, this is one time I have to go against him. We are witnessing possible history here. Long live Federer!

Poacher

Mentor
Fed on through to the quarters where his opponent will be Monfils.

Now Murray getting pressed. He's down two sets to one against Gonzalez.

OMG Murray out now too. Strange tourney.

Soderling was impressive again in defeating Davydenko. Edited by: Poacher

guest301

Hall of Famer
Soderling and Nadal suppossedly hate each other. Does anybody here know the back story on that? With both Andy's out, definitely rooting for Federer now. Certainly don't want the black frenchman Monfils to win, we would never hear the end of it. He sees to be a pretty good player that is on the rise, He's a #11 seed going into the tournament.

Matra1

Mentor
guest301 said:
Soderling and Nadal suppossedly hate each other. Does anybody here know the back story on that? With both Andy's out, definitely rooting for Federer now. Certainly don't want the black frenchman Monfils to win, we would never hear the end of it. He sees to be a pretty good player that is on the rise, He's a #11 seed going into the tournament.

A few seconds before looking at this I had the radio on and a reporter at the French Open referred to Monfils. At first I couldn't remember him then the reporter said he was 'very athletic'. THEN I remembered he was that black guy! Edited by: Matra1

Blue Devils

Mentor
Federer defeated Monfils in straight sets.

7-6 6-2 6-4

I think it's going to be Federer and Gonzalez in the final with Federer winning his first French Open.

SeaJim

Guru
smiley47.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matra1 said:
A few seconds before looking at this I had the radio on and a reporter at the French Open referred to Monfils. At first I couldn't remember him then the reporter said he was 'very athletic'. THEN I remembered he was that black guy!

I was watching Kuznetsova's win over Serena Williams
smiley43.gif
and noticed during one of the breaks that Monfils already has a commercial with a tennis racket company.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I already had my fill with Monfil. It never stops. The constant love and worship of every black athlete whether or not they deseve it. He will probably get more publicity that Roger over the next few years despite Federer being the greatest that ever lived. Just tie Samprass and go from there. Rogers name will be forever etched in the history books as numero uno. On top of that, even though I love Samprass, he never won the French Open. Aggasi did and so will Roger.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Who would have thought? It's been a surprising run by the Swede Soderling. He backs up his upset victory of Nadal with wins over Davydenko and Gonzalez and is on to the finals. He takes the fifth set (6-4) against Gonzalez after being 1-4 down in the set.
Edited by: Quiet Speed

guest301

Hall of Famer
I read up on Soderling a little bit and he is not well liked in the men's tour. He doesn't speak to other players and there are some issues with his on-court behaviour and other unsportsmanlike issues. If a good guy like Nadal doesn't even like you and has open disdain for you, something's up. That being said, Soderling after arguably the greatest upset in tennis history walked back to the lockeroom after the Nadal match, grabbed a towel, buried his face in it and wept. He's a nice story so far but this is Federer's title to lose.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Federer's one set away from tying Sampras.

He's beating Soderling 6-1 7-6 with the third set coming up.

Poacher

Mentor
YEEEESSSSS!!!

Fed= the G.O.A.T.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Federer. What a legend. We have been spoiled in Tennis watching first Pete Samprass and currently Roger Federer. Simply the best. I'm very happy for him and his new wife. She must be very proud. Now he needs to win one more to so that he won't be tied at 14 grand slams.