Forgotten White Athletes?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
One of the best high school athletes to ever live. Jim Ryun was incredible to watch as he glided around the track!

The GREATEST High School Athlete OF ALL TIME!

Total Running Productions

Last edited:

Phall

Master
OLGA KORBUT SUPREMACY!!

From this recent Gab post:

Olga Korbut was a White gymnast in the 70’s. She is famous for creating her own style and moves for competitions. This routine, also known as ‘the dead loop’, was banned shortly after because it was such a dangerous routine to perform. Many people regard Simone Biles, a black gymnast, as the greatest ever, but I have never seen a single black athlete do anything this impressive.

Here's a clip of Korbut's entire routine that year. Note that she didn't receive a 10.0 for her uneven bars routine.

How do you quantify realities in sports? The way I understand John Locke's "truth hierarchy" is that absolute truth is unassailable, while objective truths trump subjective truths.

For example, I might say that Michigan football is the best college team in all the land. That's my subjective truth, but many would disagree. If Michigan wins the CFP, I will have a new objective measurement for my statement. But there could still be room for debate, or subjective truths (strength of schedule, untimely injuries, transfer departures, etc) that still leave some wiggle room.

Sports like track and field yield the closest results to 'absolute truth.' Athletes lift this specific amount, run at this specific speed, and throw this particular distance. Although drug tests and wind resistance remain as variables, the process of ranking performances is very precise.

Certain sports will always be much more subjective in their excellence. We don't usually put up much fight that the winners of the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc were "the best" in their sport that year. You can add hypotheticals (like a ten-game series), complain about the refs, but at the end of the day, one team beat the other team. One boxer might have outpointed his other, but a knockout would seem much more 'objective.'

So for the current spam that Simone Biles is the best gymnast ever... I would just say, wait until AI can grade all those routines backwards and give their scores, rather than the setup of panel judges that has been popped before for bribery.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Olga Korbut of Russia in 1972 and then followed by Nadia Comaneci of Romania in '76 with her perfect 10 scores were both huge stories in their respective Olympic Games, even in the U.S. Looking back in retrospect, it was particularly remarkable given that this happened while the Cold War raged and the U.S. government's corporate media arm was as xenophobic, simplistic, cartoonish and biased then as it is now. The world was divided into "communists" and the "free world," with Americans as always so easily duped into seeing things purely in black and white terms as they had so few news sources then and they were all identical in orientation and propaganda. So both girls were truly great to have generated such positive publicity even in the U.S. during that time frame.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's a clip of Korbut's entire routine that year. Note that she didn't receive a 10.0 for her uneven bars routine.

How do you quantify realities in sports? The way I understand John Locke's "truth hierarchy" is that absolute truth is unassailable, while objective truths trump subjective truths.

For example, I might say that Michigan football is the best college team in all the land. That's my subjective truth, but many would disagree. If Michigan wins the CFP, I will have a new objective measurement for my statement. But there could still be room for debate, or subjective truths (strength of schedule, untimely injuries, transfer departures, etc) that still leave some wiggle room.

Sports like track and field yield the closest results to 'absolute truth.' Athletes lift this specific amount, run at this specific speed, and throw this particular distance. Although drug tests and wind resistance remain as variables, the process of ranking performances is very precise.

Certain sports will always be much more subjective in their excellence. We don't usually put up much fight that the winners of the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, etc were "the best" in their sport that year. You can add hypotheticals (like a ten-game series), complain about the refs, but at the end of the day, one team beat the other team. One boxer might have outpointed his other, but a knockout would seem much more 'objective.'

So for the current spam that Simone Biles is the best gymnast ever... I would just say, wait until AI can grade all those routines backwards and give their scores, rather than the setup of panel judges that has been popped before for bribery.
Very true. Also it's difficult to compare eras. When Korbut and Comaneci were performing, the style of gymnastics and the athletes themselves were different from what we see now. Gymnasts now like Biles and others are far more power-oriented than lithe like previous generations. Just look at the builds of now vs then. I prefer the slim, agile gymnasts of the past, but then again I'm just an old fuddy duddy.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I tend to judge women’s sports based on the athletes attractiveness. In that respect, tennis and gymnastics would be much better off if they stayed Eastern European dominated !

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
not sure where to put this (moderators please feel free to move it as you see fit) …

pole vaulter Shawn Barber, Canadian record holder and 2015 World Champion, has died suddenly “from medical complications.” he was 29.

no additional details were available at this time.

white is right

Hall of Famer
not sure where to put this (moderators please feel free to move it as you see fit) …

pole vaulter Shawn Barber, Canadian record holder and 2015 World Champion, has died suddenly “from medical complications.” he was 29.

no additional details were available at this time.

He seemed to be troubled for years whether that was psychologically or in the end medically. It seemed as he came out as gay his career hit the skids that could be a coincidence or a reason for his fall from the elite of track and field. He had also been an athlete who was raised to be a pole vaulter as his pops was a fringe world level vaulter in the 80's so we could speculate similar to many prodigies in tennis and various other sports he might have suffered from burnout.

At 29 he should have had many years to come in a technical event like the pole vault and of course a good half century of life to live if not more. Sad news about this former world champion.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
This athlete is not so much forgotten, as much as 'never knew about'.
Yvette Williams of New Zealand was a gold medalist in the Long Jump at the 1952 Olympics, and later set a WR in the same event.
She also competed successfully in the hurdles, the javelin, the shot put, and the discus!
You can read about this woman, who was named NZ's athlete of the century here:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Greatest Female Sprinter to ever live because she could do everything. The Great Irina Pirvalova. She is still holds the World Record
in the All Time Womens 60 Meters at 6.92 which she ran twice. Add the 10.77 European 100 Record and too many other incredible things
that this lady accomplished. Yet many track fans have no idea who she is?

Irina Privalova Records

Life records 50 meters indoor (5.96 February 9, 1995 Madrid) - World record 60 meters indoor (6.92 February 11, 1993 Madrid and February 9, 1995 Madrid) - World record 100 meters (indoor) (11.31 February 9, 1999 Tampere) 200 meters (indoor) (22.10 February 19, 1995 Liévin) - the second result in the history of world athletics 300 meters (indoor) (35.45 January 17, 1993 Moscow) World record 60 meters hurdles (indoor) (8.16 January 27, 2000 Moscow) into the distance (hall) (6.48 February 23, 1984 Berlin) triple jump (hall) (13.72 February 26, 1989 Moscow) 100 meters (10.77 July 6, 1994) - the 10th result in the history of world athletics 200 meters (21.87 July 25, 1995 Monaco) - Russia's record 400 meters (49.89 July 30, 1993 Moscow) 800 meters (2: 09.40 July 30, 1993 Moscow) 100 meters hurdles (13.56 March 2 Melbourne) 400 meters hurdles (53.02 September 27, Sydney) high jump (1.72 1 January 1982) long jump (6:45 23 June 1984 Tallinn)

mqdefault.jpg

Irina Privalova 10.77 ( EUROPEAN RECORD) vs Gwen Torrence 10.82 vs Merlene Ottey 10.95 Lausanne 94

Women's Sprints , Jumps and hurdles. M.Ottey.

freedom1

Mentor
Doug Walker ran a 20.35 into a -1.5 in 1998. Here he is at the European Championships.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I remember when Doug Walker won this race, although I had never seen it.
Great win considering he was in Lane 1.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Dwight Stones won two Olympic bronze medals in the high jump and was a three time world record holder. Just now looked at Wikipedia and found out he's Jewish. He later became a TV commentator and was always a libtard so it isn't much of a suprise in retrospect.

There's almost no YouTube videos of him. This grainy world record jump from 1973 is the best I can find:

sprintstar

Mentor
Wikipedia is known to say that almost every famous person has jew in them.... Same as most of the DNA kits out there, saying that alot of people have jew blood in them which is total BS.

icsept

Master
Wikipedia is known to say that almost every famous person has jew in them.... Same as most of the DNA kits out there, saying that alot of people have jew blood in them which is total BS.
Exactly. My sister did a 23 and me test and it came back entirely from the Great Britain area and then added a .4% Ashkenazi Jew.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia certainly isn't reliable in many cases, but in Stones' case his alleged Jewishness is mentioned three times. And being a member of two different Jewish sports halls of fame would indicate that he is indeed Jewish:

He is a member of the US Track Hall of Fame, the California Sports Hall of Fame, the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, and the Orange County Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.[6]

Stones, who is Jewish, was born in Los Angeles. . .

Stones is Jewish, and he once competed in the Maccabiah Games in Israel.[13]

@icsept I have a story coming at this from the other side. My brother completed one of those 23andMe tests on our parents. I personally wouldn't have done it as it seems like prying, and what will they do with that info?

The test came back saying zero percent Ashkenazi or any other stain of Jewishness. Anyway, there is this website on the internet used by a lot of people that lists a ton of details on people. I don't use it but I was curious some years ago when someone mentioned it. Such things as religious affiliation, race, yearly income, previous addresses, relatives, and friends are listed. I was stunned to find out I'm Middle Eastern Jewish! Lol.