DOGS

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
We have four dogs...a Pomeranian, a Chihuahua mix, a Border Collie/Sheppard mix & another mutt. My wife's a big animal lover (we also have 4 cats & a horse), and we have 10 acres. Most the critters are outside most the time.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Thanks Dixie. I was looking forward to members naming what kind of dogs they have. I had a GSD! She was very tough however I had to give her away because of her aggresion. She has a great home now. My current dog is a beagle.

DWFan

Mentor
Got a mutt. I've had him for 11 years and love him 'till death!
He looks kind of like the dog from "The Simpsons".

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Dogs are awesome. I've got a beagle. I've always had a dog and always will. Where else can you get a loyal companion, a guard, and a best friend?

DWFan

Mentor
jaxvid said:
Dogs are awesome. I've got a beagle. I've always had a dog and always will. Where else can you get a loyal companion, a guard, and a best friend?
Well said man! I don't think I can be happy without one.

DWFan said:

That would be "Santa's Little Helper," a cast away greyhound that lost when Homer bet all of his earnings working as mall santa on him. That was the pilot episode in December 1989!

DWFan

Mentor
Yeah I remember the episode--didn't remember it was the pilot, though! One of my favorite episodes was when Bart got a credit card in Santa's name, got a new dog with it, and let SLH get repo'd instead of the new dog.

We have three a Yorkie Poo I bought for my wife's birthday a few years ago
who pretty much rules the roost and two rescued pups a Golden retriever Rottweiler cross and another that I am sure is part Chow as he has a black tongue and part Rottweiler. He looks like a giant Rottweiler ( he weighs a little over 160 ) with a black tongue. From his size I am guessing there is Great Dane or mastiff in him We also have a flock of ducks that my wife thinks is hers but actually belongs to the the big dog that herds and guards them. We own forty nine acres of mostly swamp so out big dogs have a lot of space to roam in.

DWFan

Mentor
A GIANT rottweiler? DWFan will not break into your house!Edited by: DWFan

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
DWFan said:

DWFan, my wife's border collie/shep mix is 16 years old. She is a VERY smart dog, but her hearing is shot.

Growing up we always had English Pointers, as my Dad loved to bird hunt. I'm a big fan of Bloodhounds & English Bulldogs as well.Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DWFan

Mentor
DD, I had a border mix until last year, when I had to put him to sleep for aggressiveness (not only against my dog, but he bit my niece in the face). Aside from the aggressive behavior, he was by far the most intelligent dog I've ever had. Bloodhounds are awesome. I think that, aside from my mutt, that'd be the best fit for me.

Bear Backer

Mentor
In between dogs right now. My Border Collie got bladder cancer and had to be put down in July, so I am trying to decide what kind of dog I want to get. I am kind of leaning towards a Jack Russell Terrier. It is either going to be that or take my friends Pom. The only problem with the Pom is that I have heard a lot of bad things about them and my friends dog is kind of wild. He is moving to Boston in April and doesn't want the hassle of taking the dog with him, so I kind of feel sorry for the little guy.Edited by: Bear Backer

Bear Backer

Mentor
DWFan said:
DD, I had a border mix until last year, when I had to put him to sleep for aggressiveness (not only against my dog, but he bit my niece in the face). Aside from the aggressive behavior, he was by far the most intelligent dog I've ever had. Bloodhounds are awesome. I think that, aside from my mutt, that'd be the best fit for me.

I love Border Collies. I have had two of them in my lifetime and both were great dogs. Neither were really what I would consider aggressive, but they were very shy and if they were afraid they would definitely nip.

DWFan

Mentor
Bear Backer said:
I love Border Collies. I have had two of them in my lifetime and both were great dogs. Neither were really what I would consider aggressive, but they were very shy and if they were afraid they would definitely nip.

Yeah, I think it may have been the other part of the mix (some shepherd-type dog, from his appearance, though he had a totally border coloring) that caused the aggression. That dog could really fight. A rottweiler attacked my mom, and that dog sent him running.
You've had two...how much stuff of yours did they destroy? In my experience, the smarter dogs like borders tend to by way worse about tearing things up than dumb dogs (like my good ol' mutt).

Bear Backer

Mentor
DWFan said:
Bear Backer said:

Yeah, I think it may have been the other part of the mix (some shepherd-type dog, from his appearance, though he had a totally border coloring) that caused the aggression. That dog could really fight. A rottweiler attacked my mom, and that dog sent him running.
You've had two...how much stuff of yours did they destroy? In my experience, the smarter dogs like borders tend to by way worse about tearing things up than dumb dogs (like my good ol' mutt).

not too bad actually, but I always made sure that they had plenty of stuff to keep them occupied like chews and toys and they had their own rooms while no one was home and were not allowed into the rest of the house. The one I had to put down didn't start becoming a problem until he got the bladder cancer. We didn't even know something was wrong with him until he started peeing all over everything and ruining stuff. At first I didn't know what to make of it, whether it was a behavioral problem and something was upsetting him. No matter what we did to try to correct it, it just kept getting worse.

Riddlewire

Master
Currently: Two black labs, 9yrs, brother and sister

Previously: A Lab/Dachshund mix

Childhood: Pointer

DWFan

Mentor
Bear Backer,
You must be a way better dog handler than me. I couldn't ever stop my half-border from chewing up everything he saw--including chewing through a couple of walls. I sure loved him, though.
I've had dogs all my life and my mutt (very stupid dog) is the one I've loved the most of all. It is probably, as I said above, that you are far better at training/handling dogs than I am.

DWFan

Mentor
Riddlewire said:
Currently: Two black labs, 9yrs, brother and sister

Previously: A Lab/Dachshund mix

Childhood: Pointer

Had a couple of lab mixes. Man do they bark at everything or what?

jcolec02

Mentor
I'm a cat person
smiley17.gif

Edited by: jcolec02

Riddlewire

Master
DWFan said:
Had a couple of lab mixes. Man do they bark at everything or what?
My mix (Dad called her a Laberdascher) didn't bark at all. She could dig through concrete, though. Biggest "wiener dog" you've ever seen.
My black labs bark a lot. They also like to sing. There are two labs in the yard next door, and when there are any sirens going off (cops, tornado, etc.) the whole chorus starts up. I'll try to get some video of it the next time it happens.

DWFan

Mentor
LOL Riddlewire the lab mixes I had were both black lab in the mix. Speaking of singing, every single time I put the old punk rock band
FEAR on, one of them would howl through every song.Edited by: DWFan