DISGUSTING COMMENTS BY L.T.

rajuncajun

Guru
I couldn't believe my eyes and had to read it several times. This is a quote from ESPN the Magazine from early June, LaDainian Tomlinson asked about rookie Jacob Hester:

ESPN the Magazine, 6/2/08: "Doesn't matter how small, slow or white he may be. He's a player."

YOU HAVE GOT TO KIDDING ME! No mention at all by the mainstream press about an overt racist comment! Substitute the word black and it is front page news!

guest301

Hall of Famer
I don't like the comment because it feeds into the white stereotypes but there is sort of a backhanded compliment in that qoute. LT has obviously seen him in practice and thinks "he's a player". You are right in the sense if a White Olympian swimmer said about his black teammate that it "doesn't matter how small, slow and black he is, He's a swimmer". He would get torn apart for such a commment.

whiteCB

Master
And so the double standards in this country continue and nobody seems to
notice and nobody seems to care...

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
LT is overrated, period. I also dont think of him as the universal "nice guy" with lots of "class" either.

I think he sees Hester as a threat to him and he's scared he might lose the hype machine. He knows Jacob is more versitile than he is....and he's worried about Hester becoming the new (drunken white) fan favorite. That's why he felt the need to insult him (and in an obviously racist fashion). Not too shocking whenever a black player is jealous.....after all, sports are the only arena in which "the man" will "allow" them to excell. Edited by: Thrashen

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I found a great article on knowhuddle.com about this topic. It is well thought out.

LT's Not So Kind Words

By Nathan Miller

"Doesn't matter how small, slow, or white he may be. He's a player."
-San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson on the team's second-round selection Jacob Hester.

I read this quotation in this week's ESPN the Magazine last Saturday while curled up on the couch after a marathon graduation party. At first, I thought the six hours of open bar and non-stop dancing had affected my brain. I reread the quotation. It did not change. In fact, if you were to pick up a copy, you would be hard pressed to find the quotation. It is not the subject of a major article; it is not even questioned by the editor. It is tucked away on pg. 78, at the very bottom of a section of blurbs regarding the NFL.

It is upsetting that I even have to preface this article, but in a racially charged world, everything one says can be misinterpreted. I do not think LT is a racist, and I do believe this comment was made in jest. I do think statements like these are made all of the time in sports, yet I cannot believe that this has not been a major media story.

In a world where Spygate requires a Senate investigation, "making it rain" has entered the common vernacular, and a hot tub party stirs up the Inquisition, I find it hard to believe that one of the league's best, most marketable players can say something so overtly racist without consequence. Yeah, it was probably a joke, but it does not make it okay to say.

Is it now okay to openly mock white athletes? Are we going to see Hester and St. Louis Rams' running back Brian Leonard on Real Sports next month complaining about the plight of the white skill position player? I would certainly hope not, but this raises a greater issue. Recently a friend of mine mentioned that he believes the worst thing anyone can say about an African-American (athlete, businessman, politician) is that they are articulate, as if all African-Americans have trouble forming a sentence. I agree with him, and I hope you would too. While there is a difference between calling a race of people unintelligent and another race slow, it speaks to a higher concern about the state of color in sports.

Imagine if a white receiver said, "Doesn't matter how dumb, inaccurate, or black he may be. He's a quarterback," about his teammate. The guy would have been run out of the league, sent to sensitivity training, and vilified forever next to Jimmy the Greek, Marge Schott, and Don Imus on the Mount Rushmore of sports racists. Yet, LT says essentially the same thing, conjuring up negative stereotypes of white athletes, and nothing happens.

This invokes a memory from an early episode of The Simpsons. In this scene, Homer was watching a black comedian perform standup. The comedian said, "This is how black people drive in a car," and proceeded to slyly mime his arm on the window frame, lean back, and begin to smoothly scat. The comedian followed by saying "And this is how white people drive," and put both hands on the imaginary wheel, stuck his butt up in the air, and made doofy noises. Homer was amused and yelled, "It's true! We are so lame!"

Essentially, LT reiterated this sentiment in the world of sports: white athletes are slow and small, while black athletes are fast and sleek. Of course, that is just one set of ideals. Rush Limbaugh might believe that white athletes are smart and well-mannered, while black athletes are dumb and uncontrollable. When Rush said something to that affect, he was fired from his position at ESPN and has not made a return to sport. LT is simply buried on page 78.

Honestly, if this story was being flashed on Sportscenter every five minutes, I would be sick of it after two. I do not believe LT is racist, and I am sure he was merely joking. However, the fact that such a negative statement can be made about white athletes with no repercussions is somewhat alarming. I am not calling for blood, just for discussion. Is this right?

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I think this article is a typical, boring response to a "laughable" and "jokey" situation (blacks insulting whites usually is, right?).

No "real" athletes, were insulted by LT's comments...so it's okay
smiley32.gif
I love how extreme care and sensitivity are given to EVERY SINGLE race accept for whites. I'm shocked that the jock-lickers at ESPN didnt even mention this, not.

Deus Vult

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
LT's Not So Kind Words
By Nathan Miller

-San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson on the team's second-round selection Jacob Hester.

... I find it hard to believe that one of the league's best, most marketable players can say something so overtly racist without consequence. Yeah, it was probably a joke, but it does not make it okay to say.
... a friend of mine mentioned that he believes the worst thing anyone can say about an African-American (athlete, businessman, politician) is that [he is] articulate, as if all African-Americans have trouble forming a sentence. I agree with him, and I hope you would too...
Imagine if a white receiver said, "Doesn't matter how dumb, inaccurate, or black he may be. He's a quarterback," about his teammate. The guy would have been run out of the league, sent to sensitivity training...

I disagree with this writer, Nathan Miller, but not on whether there is a hypocritical double-standard. There is. This much is self-evident. Everyone knows it. This is why Tomlinson felt safe making race-based comments about Jacob Hester; whereas, whites know to not even make the most benign race-based comments. LT knew there would be no uproar, no sensitivity training.

Where I part company with Mr. Miller is on his apparent approval of sensitivity training and/or other over-reaction to comments on racial differences. The root of the problem is not the double standard. It is the climate of race-denial and racial hysteria -- imposed by whites, enforced by whites, directed toward whites. Making race-based comments should be seen as no big deal. Miller, like others in his profession, expect to shun people who publicly state valid observations about racial differences.

Instead of calling for more of an uproar directed toward Tomlinson, he ought to call for less an uproar toward Al Campanis, et al.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Deus Vult said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
LT's Not So Kind Words
By Nathan Miller

... I find it hard to believe that one of the league's best, most marketable players can say something so overtly racist without consequence. Yeah, it was probably a joke, but it does not make it okay to say.
... a friend of mine mentioned that he believes the worst thing anyone can say about an African-American (athlete, businessman, politician) is that [he is] articulate, as if all African-Americans have trouble forming a sentence. I agree with him, and I hope you would too...
Imagine if a white receiver said, "Doesn't matter how dumb, inaccurate, or black he may be. He's a quarterback," about his teammate. The guy would have been run out of the league, sent to sensitivity training...

I disagree with this writer, Nathan Miller, but not on whether there is a hypocritical double-standard. There is. This much is self-evident. Everyone knows it. This is why Tomlinson felt safe making race-based comments about Jacob Hester; whereas, whites know to not even make the most benign race-based comments. LT knew there would be no uproar, no sensitivity training.

Where I part company with Mr. Miller is on his apparent approval of sensitivity training and/or other over-reaction to comments on racial differences. The root of the problem is not the double standard. It is the climate of race-denial and racial hysteria -- imposed by whites, enforced by whites, directed toward whites. Making race-based comments should be seen as no big deal. Miller, like others in his profession, expect to shun people who publicly state valid observations about racial differences.

Instead of calling for more of an uproar directed toward Tomlinson, he ought to call for less an uproar toward Al Campanis, et al.

I agree with some of what you say Deus Vult. I think it really depends on the root of the comment. If a comment is purely vicious with no purpose like using the N word and calling blacks savages, animals in the workforce that should be grounds for sensitivity training, demotion or in certain professions like broadcasting dismissal. But in LT's case it was a weak joke.

There is a clear double standard and I agree with the author that LT is probably not racist, but these kind of comments have to be discussed to defeat stereotyping. Rush Limbaugh was fired from his job for comments at the same level of race discussion. Michael Irvin and other blacks get away with this even in broadcasting.

I believe we have to start discussing racial stereotyping and other issues, but it has to be done tactfully and reasonably in the professional world. LT should face no punishment from the NFL, but the media should be criticizing his comments.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I think those in the mainstream press who choose not to address remarks that perpetuate negative racial stereotypes (even if those group-wide stereotypes are used as a complement to one individual) are themselves racist, because by not calling out the offender they are implying that stupid, irresponsible and racist behavior is expected from blacks, but whites ought to know better.

I think Jacob Hester was a great college player, and he probably has what it takes to make a mark in the NFL, too. That being said, beyond being a tough, hard worker with a strong will (classic attributes of the white athlete) I don't see anything especially impressive about him physically. What I mean by this is, how many potential white running backs who are better than Hester never even make it into the public consciousness, in the limited way Hester has been recognized?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GiovaniMarcon said:
I think Jacob Hester was a great college player, and he probably has what it takes to make a mark in the NFL, too. That being said, beyond being a tough, hard worker with a strong will (classic attributes of the white athlete) I don't see anything especially impressive about him physically. What I mean by this is, how many potential white running backs who are better than Hester never even make it into the public consciousness, in the limited way Hester has been recognized?

Good observations. I've noticed at WR that the whites who are the most freakish when it comes to physical attributes (e.g. size-speed combination)very rarelyget an opportunity, while the few that do are often more "normal," i.e. more like the average black receiver. Guys like Looker, Morey, Stokley, Furrey and even Welker come to mind, good athletes butnot of exceptionalsize and/or speed. The NFL would have a lot of tall and fast white receivers with great hands if not for the Caste System.

Same is true at running back, or like Rob Konrad they are simply made into fullbacks.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't agree with you guys on this. Jacob Hester is one of the strongest running backs I have ever seen. Ask anyone on the LSU Team. I remember watching some games last year and even the announcers were raving about his incredible strength. This is part of the reason that he punishes people and his hands are as strong as an ox. He does not fumble period! He is one hell of an athlete. As for his speed, it is a little above average. Hester is a hell of a running back and he went for over 1000 yards in the SEC. These guys were trying to take his head off. There was alot of animosity in the locker rooms. He proved his worth again and again. I don't think we should underestimate his athleticism in addition to his toughness. Edited by: white lightning

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well compared to NFL starting RBs, Hester is a little slower than average. As far as all these people who call Hester straight lined, if you watch him play he makes his first cut very nicely, and has great vision to find the hole and outrun angles. Hester also has the same 10 yard dash time as Darren McFadden a 1.50, which is faster than your average RB. Hester's one weakness is that he has trouble making a good cut at full speed. But he makes up for this with his superior power and other skills. He has learned that when he hits the open field go, go, go, straight ahead. Overall I actually think Jacob Hester is a better RB prospect than Brian Leonard. Hester and Jerome Bettis are a lot a like, but actually I think Hester is a little better than Bettis too! Most would be surprised by this, but not me!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
And WL I agree with what you say about Hester's dominance in the SEC. And he did this all without the help of a FB in front of him and being used in short yardage a lot. He still ran for 4.9 YPC! That's the sign of a player!

G

Man, I never knew he said this. I now caste him into the group of malcontents/racists. To get into this group a member has to acquire a new middle name. HOF members are OJ "n...er" Simpson, Kobe "n...er" Bryant and top dog, Jim "n...er" Brown. LT enjoy your new "clove" as they say.