Colt McCoy

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
After hearing that Colt McCoy may start this week for the Browns against the Steelers, I scoped around the web a bit to get a "flavor" of what folks are saying about this possibility. In this article from an Ohio small paper, they are afraid that throwing him in at a point too early in his career with a so-so line and lousy receivers, he might develop bad running-for-his-life habits, and be "Couched" (see Tim Couch).

The Canton Repository, which still faithfully covers the Browns home and road in these trying economic times, caught up with legendary Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar this week to get his take on whether rookie QB Colt McCoy should start Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In reading the story, I got the distinct impression that Kosar wanted to burst out laughing. Here's what he told veteran reporter Steve Doerschuk, who does as good a job as anyone on the Browns beat:

"Do you want to put Colt McCoy, in his first game, at Pittsburgh "¦ No. 1 defense, Troy Polamalu "¦ and the way they're playing, and the way we're struggling and "¦ Peyton Hillis may not be able to play?

"I think this somewhat happened with Tim Couch "¦ if you play him too much too early and the team around them isn't ready, to subject him to the beating that the quarterbacks took (Sunday against Atlanta) and the potential beatings they may take this coming Sunday, that comes at a cost of starting to get him hurt or get out of his rapport and start developing bad habits.

"Are you capable of protecting him? Are you capable of giving him a chance to be successful is a question the coaches are going to have to ask."Â￾

With both Jake Delhomme (who's finished, by the way, in case you didn't know; somebody tell him, OK?) and Seneca Wallace (the career backup who had been starting) hobbled by ankle injuries, it seems the Browns actually intend to ride Colt into Pittsburgh and watch him run for his life.

So, here we go again, thrusting a rookie into the fray too soon. Tim Couch, the No. 1 pick in the 1999 draft, started the second game of that season for an expansion team en route to the early ruination of his career.

And just a few years ago, Charlie Frye, like McCoy a third-round pick, found his way into the lineup way too soon because then-GM Phil Savage, who drafted him, apparently thought he had discovered the next Joe Montana at Akron.

Savage then whiffed again on a quarterback, this time in the first round, when he took Brady Quinn, who's now tethered to the bench in Denver.

Kosar also told Doerschuk the lack of talent on this year's team is the result of recent bad drafting (as opposed to the bad drafting in the early expansion years) catching up with the Browns.

Quick, what do Quinn, Braylon Edwards and Kamerion Wimbley all have in common?

They were drafted by Savage in the first round and are long gone.

Think about that. Savage had four drafts, and three of his four first-rounders (Joe Thomas is the exception, of course) were busts to one degree or another, for one reason or another.

It's too early to tell if the Mike Holmgren/Tom Heckert front office duo has a tighter grip on talent evaluation. Sunday, we might start to get a feel for the future of their chosen quarterback, whether we want to or not.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Brady Quinn had anything remotely approaching a fair opportunity to prove himself in Cleveland, but Colt McCoy is in the same boat, with even less talent to work with at WR than Quinn had, if that's possible. If Hillis can't play or plays hurt again, the Steelers defense will likely slaughter the Browns offense in Pittsburgh. I'd much rather see Wallace thrown to the wolves rather than McCoyuntil Hillis is one hundred percent.

It is a bit strange to have a rookie QB make his first start against a team like the Steelers. In the past, I've seen a team give the start in a situation like this to a veteran (who might be on his way out) while holding out the rookie. The theory was that the young QB might have his confidence destroyed.

Tom Iron

Mentor
My view is put him in there and let the chips fall where they may. Hillis (he played hurt last week and did okay)will play and play well and the young QB will do fine. Just have him roll out a bit to negate the rush and everything'll be fine. Might as well start against Pittsburgh as against anyone else.

Tom Iron...

Colt seemed like he was always up to the challenge when he played in big games at texas. I dont think even if he played poorly it would hurt his confidence.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
If Hillis is healthy that will really help Colt if he starts. I hope he does well.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Colt McCoy did really good in his first start with the Browns. He may not have much to work with in the name of receivers and a suspect O-Line but he still passed for almost 300 yards in the loss to the Steelers. To do that against one of the better defenses in the NFL is quite a start! I have a feeling this kid is going to be a future pro bowler. He has the talent with his arm and legs. He also is just a winner and he has proven from high school to college. The NFL will be no different as long as they continue to build the team around both McCoy and Hillis!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

TheAnimal

Guru
Here's an article that I found in regards to the Browns' starting QB (officially) Colt McCoy. I really like this kid, he has that same moxie on the field as Joe Montana.

As it turns out, Coach Mangino and his staff didn't like him very much. This kind of anti-favoritism sounds like locker room poison, no wonder the Brownies struggled, even with a monster star like Peyton Hillis in the backfield.

I read that article and honestly it sounds more like Colt trying to fit in with his increasingly diva team. He had NOTHING but nice things to say about Coach Mangini up until two months ago and only after his front office and new coaching staff went out of there way to repeatedly throw Mangini under the bus all offseason.

Highlander

Mentor
McCoy Endures Intense Hazing During His Rookie Season...

...by coaches...particularly OC Brian Daboll.

Personally, I don't think they were using "reverse psychology" or whatever to make him "stronger" or "motivate" him by doing this. He's an adult for gods sake and played at the highest levels of college football. Unnecessary and unprofessional. It's almost as if they wanted him to fail:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_colt_mccoy_browns_brian_daboll_112411

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's fair to say that no black QB would ever be subjected to even a small percentage of that type of "hazing."

I remember that Weenieworld and other sources were floating the rumor that McCoy was going to be cut during the preseason of his rookie year despite being a third round draft pick. That may have come directly from Daboll, who may be the worst play-calling offensive coordinator ever. How does he keep managing to land jobs; look how lousy Miami's offense is this year since he was hired.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I think McCoy might still have a good future as a starter in the NFL. His arm is finally completely healed after it was injured his last year in college. He's shown he has the mental makeup to succeed in the NFL. He seems like a good fit for a west coast offense. He could be a player similar to Jeff Garcia.

But even if McCoy never succeeds as a starter he has show he can be a valuable second stringer and spot starter.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Colt McCoy is now with the Washington Redskins. He's played well there as a reserve and spot starter.

I still think McCoy could be a starter in the NFL.

He would be an upgrade for a team such as the Eagles. He makes quick decisions and has good mobility, so he would be a good fit for the Eagles.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
This year Colt McCoy signed a 3 year, 9 million dollar contract with the Redskins. That averages out to 3 million a year.

McCoy earned this contract with his excellent play through the years as a starter and a backup.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
This year Colt McCoy signed a 3 year, 9 million dollar contract with the Redskins. That averages out to 3 million a year.

McCoy earned this contract with his excellent play through the years as a starter and a backup.

Loved watching McCoy and Shipley at Texas and happy to see that at least McCoy has had a lengthy and resilient career.

-60% career completion
- 5,586 career passing yards
- 26 TDs 23 Ints

Nothing really gaudy as a career backup QB but more than capable spot starter.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Colt McCoy is still a backup for the Redskins. To me it seems that he could be a starter in the league. He's had many years experience now and showed promise in his early years in the league.

You look at Buffalo. McCoy's a better player than anyone currently on the team. Would McCoy be able to supplant Prescott in Dallas? Marcus Mariota has regressed in Tennessee. McCoy could conceivably challenge him for a starting spot. Those are just a few possibilities.

Imo McCoy is better than some players that are getting more playing time in the league.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Well, McCoy is going to get his chance. With the injury to Alex Smith he will likely be the starting quarterback for the Redskins for the rest of the year.

I have a high opinion of McCoy and think he should be a starter in the league somewhere. He's better than anyone Buffalo has, for example. (Josh Allen is still a rookie).

We'll see if my opinion of McCoy is born out in the games he starts.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Colt McCoy started out well against the Eagles going 4 for 4. Unfortunately he then broke his leg and is out for the season.

I hope this isn't the end of his career. He should at least be a back up for someone but the league is trying to reduce the number of white quarterbacks...

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Well, Colt McCoy is getting a start today against New England. I expect him to do well, even against a tough New England team.

I have a high opinion of McCoy both as a player and a man. I think he's good enough to be a starter somewhere. His issue has always been staying healthy.

shamrock

Colt seemed like he was always up to the challenge when he played in big games at texas. I dont think even if he played poorly it would hurt his confidence.

He certainly wasn't up to the challenge against Alabama, when they needed him most. He wimped out of the game on a mysterious shoulder thing. If you want to talk about a Texas QB who was up to the challenge, you're talking about James Street, who brought his best in every crucial game in 1969. And Street was only 5'11 and about 175 pounds, and he would never play in the Negro Football League, but, by God, he had guts!