CFL News

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Bored as hell with this quarantine I decided to look up former SDSU WR Jake Wieneke . He had a solid rookie season with Montreal 41receptions for 589yds and 8TDs.

Just don't expect to see anymore white Wieneke's in the pipeline as he's married to a black woman. To each his own. :roto2nuse:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I guess the CFL draft was last week. Some no name black WR from UVA (2 rec 18 yds!!!!!) (transferred from Richmond where he was modestly productive during his career there - 86 receptions 1282 yds and 9 tds). You can't make this stuff up!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the CFL draft was last week. Some no name black WR from UVA (2 rec 18 yds!!!!!) (transferred from Richmond where he was modestly productive during his career there - 86 receptions 1282 yds and 9 tds). You can't make this stuff up!

Was he drafted first overall, or in the first round? Not clear from what you wrote above. . .

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Nathan Rourke the most highly sought after QB in CFL since Jesse Palmer in 2001.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/05/04/steinbergs-mmqb-next-canadian-hope/

In the article it also mentions QBs Mike Reilly and Levi Bo Mitchell. Both From Eastern Washington have carved out excellent careers as CFL QBs!Blast from the past remember these guys well. Pretty sure Mitchell was at SMU before EWU.

*Here is Draft Diamonds Top 5 CFL Free Agents after their draft. 4 of 5 are pale faces, 2 are DBs.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/05/top-5-undrafted/

**Also doesn't surprise me that WR was picked that high even with zero production at UVA..

white is right

Hall of Famer
Nathan Rourke the most highly sought after QB in CFL since Jesse Palmer in 2001.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/05/04/steinbergs-mmqb-next-canadian-hope/

In the article it also mentions QBs Mike Reilly and Levi Bo Mitchell. Both From Eastern Washington have carved out excellent careers as CFL QBs!Blast from the past remember these guys well. Pretty sure Mitchell was at SMU before EWU.

*Here is Draft Diamonds Top 5 CFL Free Agents after their draft. 4 of 5 are pale faces, 2 are DBs.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/05/top-5-undrafted/

**Also doesn't surprise me that WR was picked that high even with zero production at UVA..
One thing about the CFL draft that you guys need to know is if a prospect is viewed as a genuine NFL prospect then a prospect will fall heavily in the CFL draft. It's similar to guys who are two sports stars and favoring another sport over the NFL.

I remember Al Davis was famous for drafting guys that were going to another sport and taking a flyer on them back in the days of 9+ rounds he took late round flyers on an MLB, NBA or even an athlete ie Bruce Jenner. This happened quite a bit even in the other leagues except hockey because of the unique skills of the sport.

As for those guys they are probably only viewed as special team/ reserve players.

Also the fullback/ h-back prospect has similar value to an NFL prospect in the same position as the position while still carried on active rosters, the players aren't getting very many touches anymore, ie one every other game, similar to the NFL less a "Juice" type fullback.

Last edited:

DWF Upside

Mentor
By jogger standards that was pretty tame and well thought out. Nothing more powerful than canceling a jogger to spread chaos across the west. It shows people the hierchary of this nightmare.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Nate Holley still sticking around. He was the CFLs defensive rookie of the year and now with the cancellation of the season he is looking to come back to the NFL. He is a safety not a LB (which the caste system is making him out to be) - was one of the best in America before some odd criminal charge against him which killed his draft stock. If he were a different color his production, athletic ability and talent would of trumped the odd kidnapping charge which he was found not guilty of.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ttempting-nfl-comeback-after-cfl-cancelation/

white is right

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Nate Holley still sticking around. He was the CFLs defensive rookie of the year and now with the cancellation of the season he is looking to come back to the NFL. He is a safety not a LB (which the caste system is making him out to be) - was one of the best in America before some odd criminal charge against him which killed his draft stock. If he were a different color his production, athletic ability and talent would of trumped the odd kidnapping charge which he was found not guilty of.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...ttempting-nfl-comeback-after-cfl-cancelation/
If anybody cares the CFL season was cancelled because the television revenue doesn't make the teams enough money to not have a deficit if the fans are banned or limited. Also you have a problem that if the season was deferred to September and ended in January like the NFL , having games like the Ice Bowl would be a problem in the Western Canadian cities, less Vancouver.

Warhawk_46

Master
Reviving this thread: anyone have any news?

I know I will be following AJ Oulette’s career in the CFL.

Warhawk_46

Master
He should be getting at least 10 carries - he has all the skills to be the primary ball carrier.

Rocky B

Master
I saw that AJO had that line carry....I saw the box score last week and recognized the guy starting, I’m hoping AJ gets some opportunities to tote this year. I’ll be watching....

Rocky B

Master
AJO had 100 yards rushing last week.
I believe it was the first time all year he had any accumulation of carries.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
AJO had 100 yards rushing last week.
I believe it was the first time all year he had any accumulation of carries.

Finally an AJO sighting! He's a stud, should be on an NFL roster no doubt about it.

Warhawk_46

Master
I think he was hurt early and then relegated to the practice squad. Of course he becomes active and receives carries and he is instantly the best running back on the team. He needs to be a workhorse moving forward.

Rocky B

Master
AJO only got three carries for six yards this week.
Someone named Damijai carried 18 times for not even three yards per carry.

Warhawk_46

Master
So after rushing for over a hundred yards in a pass-heavy Canadian league he only get 3 carries the following week. This could only happen to a white running back....

Rocky B

Master
Looking up AJO playing for Toronto, I ran into their starting running back Andrew Harris.
Here are the names of his parents.....Ron Graham, Carlene Boivin

How is this possible? He didn’t take the name of bio dad, took the name of mom, then mom got remarried????? Old man yelling at the sky....That’s me.
AJO is buried on the depth chart, caught a couple of passes last week. No rushes that I’ve seen yet.

Warhawk_46

Master
I hadn’t check the CFL stats recently, but it looks like AJ Oulette ended up with a fine season with 98 rushes for over 500 yards. He caught 37 passes for an additional 350 yards.

Here’s hoping he gets the chance to be be primary ball carrier next year!

**edited to include he was named an East Division All-Star!

I wonder if Borghi or Nall would be willing to go the CFL route and stake their claim there?

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I hadn’t check the CFL stats recently, but it looks like AJ Oulette ended up with a fine season with 98 rushes for over 500 yards. He caught 37 passes for an additional 350 yards.

Here’s hoping he gets the chance to be be primary ball carrier next year!

**edited to include he was named an East Division All-Star!

I wonder if Borghi or Nall would be willing to go the CFL route and stake their claim there?
The CFL prefers CMAC clones rather than bulldozer backs. I can't recall any CFL bulldozer types that were the number one back on the team since the 70's when most backs were built like this.

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
The CFL prefers CMAC clones rather than bulldozer backs. I can't recall any CFL bulldozer types that were the number one back on the team since the 70's when most backs were built like this.
In my humble opinion, the CFL is tailor-made for Max Borghi. He should go there, become a star, and the NFL just may finally give him a chance.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but he should seriously give the CFL a shot. He would be very successful with his running and receiving abilities.

white is right

Hall of Famer
In my humble opinion, the CFL is tailor-made for Max Borghi. He should go there, become a star, and the NFL just may finally give him a chance.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but he should seriously give the CFL a shot. He would be very successful with his running and receiving abilities.
I think so too. If Ouellette can carve out a decent career in this league he should be at least on a CFL roster carving out a decent career if not starring.

But to get a NFL shot you need to have super star CFL numbers for 2 years in a row and then usually a team will throw you a veteran minimum type deal with a decent signing bonus but not real guarantees.

PS I would probably take a CFL job over these other start up leagues who have proven nothing beyond that the are mercurial at best and flim flamy at worst.