caleb campbell = not this year

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/07/army_shatters_c ampbells_nfl_dr.html

Army shatters Campbell's NFL dreams
by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com
Wednesday July 23, 2008, 4:01 PM

The Detroit Lions' seventh-round draft pick, safety Caleb Campbell, learned that he won't be able to play for the team because of a change in Army rules.Caleb Campbell, the Detroit Lions' seventh-round pick, will not be playing for the team this year. According to a Lions press release, the U.S. Army reversed its stance that would have allowed the safety to fulfill his military obligations in Michigan had he made the Lions' roster.

The Army has ordered the seventh-round draft pick to return to return to West Point for assignment.

More details will be forthcoming from MLive Lions Insider Tom Kowalski
smiley19.gif
smiley5.gif

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Man, Caleb really got the shaft on this one. I feel really bad for him, but I am also very proud that he still is enthusiastic about serving his country. More power to him!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
It's dissapointing to hear. Air force is one of my favorite college teams, but it saddens me that all of the academies top players will never get the chance to play in the NFL right out of college.
smiley19.gif

KG2422

Mentor
This will make recruiting that much more difficult. Caleb Cambell would probably be doing just as much good for the army in the NFL as he would in the army. I see it as unfair to change the rule at this stage. Cambell should be grandfathered in. If they want to change the rule, do it for the new kids who know the deal going in. How much difference would the one or two would be officers who make the NFL every ten years make? It's a waste and it hurts the academies' football programs and indirectly their prestige if they are less successful in football.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
It's a monumentally stupid decision by the Army. Pro athletes are a good recruiting tool and they need cannon fodder right now. I guess they are thinking that they got a body for sure with Campbell then hoping he lures a few more grunts in.

But the point that this is going to hurt their recruiting is true. Why bother to succeed at football if there is no pro career possibility? Funny how all those black players were given passes but as soon as a white 7th rounder gets picked---the rules change.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Ditto to what Jaxvid and KG2422 posted. What a monumentally stupid public relations move by the Army. Why wait till training camp to make this decision anyway, Caleb could have been told this months ago. Caleb is still a hero and a role model for everybody and his attitude is great under the circumstances.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Gentlemen,

I must respectfully disagree with you on this issue. I'm sure the young man can play football well. But that isn't the point here. The point is that he went to West point and his duty is, and always was to go into the army after graduation. It's time for him to fulfill his end of the bargain he made when he accepted his posting to the Academy. Football is a game and he's a man now and men have no time for boy's games.

Tom Iron...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I respect your opinion Tom, but I think this rule could be a fair exception. They could say that a military recruited athlete who makes it professionally can turn pro right away, but will have to fulfill a 6 year obligation in the military instead of 4 once they retire if they so choose to turn pro. This could be great for recruiting and it would allow those that play sports for the academies to fulfill both dreams. It would also help so many more athletes to want to play sports for a military academy.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Detroit no longer owns the rights to Campbell. now his football future is completely up in the air.

Caleb Campbell misses football.

Campbell was a ballyhooed seventh-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions last year before the Army reversed course at the 11th hour. Army officials informed Campbell the day before training camp began that he would have to serve two years of active duty before applying for a release.

Campbell, who is from Perryton, has kept a low profile since. He was an assistant football coach at Army in the fall and now is doing Army training.

"I miss football a lot," Campbell said in a telephone interview. "To have something you've worked for your entire life at the grips of your hand, and then you had to let loose. ... I totally understand why I had to let loose. I'm not bitter at that decision whatsoever, because I know why I went to West Point in the first place, and I know what I've got to do. ... When the opportunity comes, I'll be ready to go."

Campbell, projected as a strong safety, measured 6-foot-2, weighed 229 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 seconds and had 24 reps in the 225-pound bench press last year at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The Lions used the 218th overall pick on him.

Campbell had agreed to a contract with the Lions, but he had not signed. Detroit lost its rights to him last weekend when the 2009 draft began. Campbell will be an unrestricted free agent next year when his two-year duty expires.

"Next year will be my two-year period, and I don't have any particular team," Campbell said. "I'm just hoping I get a shot to come to some mini-camps or a tryout with a team. I'm really focused on when I get that opportunity being ready to go."

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Great new guys! Campbell will join the Lions in time for this upcoming season. Both Campbell and Hall(Air Force) have my utmost respect for serving in the armed forces and still giving it a shot at playing pro ball. Hopefully it works out for them. Campbellran a 4.49 40 at 237. That is freakish speed!

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: " id=Tixyy>
<H1 itxt="1"><NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_9_0>
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100311/SPORTS0101/3110498/1361/Army-linebacker-Caleb-Campbell-set-to-rejoin-Lions</H1><OBR><OBR>Edited by: celticdb15

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Great new guys! Campbell will join the Lions in time for this upcoming season. Both Campbell and Hall(Air Force) have my utmost respect for serving in the armed forces and still giving it a shot at playing pro ball. Hopefully it works out for them. Campbellran a 4.49 40 at 237. That is freakish speed!
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>
<div style="border: medium none ; text-align: left; color: rgb0, 0, 0; text-decoration: none;" id="Tixyy">
<h1 itxt="1"><nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-size: 100%; font-weight: normal;" id="itxt_nobr_9_0">
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100311/SPORTS0101/3110498/1361/Army-linebacker-Caleb-Campbell-set-to-rejoin-Lions<obr></h1></div></div><obr><obr>

He's definitely a great athlete. I hope he can put together a nice career for himself in the NFL. He's another guy who was called "unathletic" in scouting reports despite very good size and speed numbers.
</obr></obr>

backrow

Hall of Famer
Lions re-signed LB Caleb Campbell.

Campbell, 25, served the last two years for the U.S. Army in Oklahoma. Being a "holdover" from the Rod Marinelli regime won't help his cause, but he's fallen into a decent situation. Campbell will play weak-side linebacker, which is a position of weakness in Detroit with Zack Follett slated to start.
Source: Detroit News

Army 1st Lt. Caleb Campbell, the 2008 seventh-round pick whose NFL career was put on hold by military service, highlights the list of eight players the Lions have signed prior to today's start of rookie minicamp.

From The Detroit News: http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/lionsblog/index.php?blogid=2146#ixzz0mbRnI4IN

(they also signed Oklahoma FB Matt Clapp)

TwentyTwo

Master
Hoping nothing but sucess for Caleb!

Now hopefully Zack Follet read that...and can prove them wrong; that's in not a position of weakness!