Athletes I Respect

On a different note, I would like to mention hat one athlete I have great respect for is Shaun Alexander. Every interview he's on, he seems like a great, down-to-earth guy that anyone can respect. He's a guy that does charity work ,his character is impressive. I like his interviews with Chris Rose on Best Damn. He's a quality guy. Up there with Brett Favre. Edited by: hollywoodnorth1

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Alexander acted like a baby when Holmgren wouldn't let him win the rushing title last season, but overall I agree with you. He reminds me of Tiki and Ronde Barber and Michael Strahan -- articulate black athletes who come across as decent and pleasant people.Alexander isalso referred to sometimes as the "third Barber" because he resembles the twins.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I didn't know Tiki has a twin, or that he is in the league. I like Tiki pretty well, and I used to respect Thurman Thomas from the Bills when he played. Players I respect now are Jeremy Shockey, Matt Jones, Brian Urlacher, Brian Finneran, Sean Landetta, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Kris Mangum, and a few others which my brain is unable to retrieve the names of at the moment.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes, both Tiki and Ronde Barber, Derrick Brooks are classy guys... i don't know too much about Alexander as a person to affirm that for him as well

guest301

Hall of Famer
I saw alexander interviewed on the 700 club a few days ago. Very likeable although a little spacy. Strahan and Bettis are likeable and friendly too. Strahan(when he retires)would be a much more articulate and likeable co-host than shannon sharpe.

Deacon

Guru
guest301 said:
Strahan(when he retires)would be a much more
articulate and likeable co-host than shannon sharpe.
That
wouldn't be too hard, of course. Sharpe always stumbles over his words
and looks like he didn't pass the 3rd grade.

Deacon

Guru
Shaun Alexander would be cool if it wasn't for his stupid TD
celebrations. And his interviews with Chris Rose? Rose is a jew, screw
that.

People I respect:

Peyton Manning

Dan Morgan

Brian Urlacher

Joe Jurevicius

Jake Delhomme

Heath Miller (The guy's a powerhouse)

Big Ben

*edit* To add Big Ben.

Edited by: Deacon

I'll throw in a belated vote for ex-Viking Robert Smith. He was not only talented (the best HB the Vikings ever had) but his demeanor always impressed me. No pimp-dance, no pre-planned choreography, no "I'd play harder for more money" or "if I were on another team." Just 70-yard touchdown runs, casual flips of the ball back to the ref, and a jog to the sidelines. He also spoke English and could communicate without Drew Rosenhaus. I wish he were still around.

G

Cassiodorus said:
I'll throw in a belated vote for ex-Viking Robert Smith. He was not only talented (the best HB the Vikings ever had) but his demeanor always impressed me. No pimp-dance, no pre-planned choreography, no "I'd play harder for more money" or "if I were on another team." Just 70-yard touchdown runs, casual flips of the ball back to the ref, and a jog to the sidelines. He also spoke English and could communicate without Drew Rosenhaus. I wish he were still around.

There are more blacks with that type of character than you think.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Futuregohan30 said:

If memory serves me correctly, Robert Smith's mother is reputed to be white.

G

Bart said:
Futuregohan30 said:

If memory serves me correctly, Robert Smith's mother is reputed to be white.

I wasnt speaking just about Robert Smith.

GWTJ

Mentor
The one, all black(not half white or quarter white), NFL player that always impressed me with his demeanor, humble attitude, sportsmanlike behavior and off the field behavior was Barry Sanders. A true throwback.

Spooge

Guru
I agree about Barry Saunders. Unfortunately, he must have lost
his mind, or suffers from some type of exteme depression. No
other reason to walk away like he did. I remember his dad saying
that Barry was not the best running back and that it was in fact Jim
Brown. Perhaps Barry packed it in to spite his father. What
a waste, Barry is twice the running back that Emmit Smith was.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Renaissance Man "Barry is twice the running back Emmitt Smith was"...I don't agree. Barry was twice the entertaining running back emmitt smith was. But emmitt was brutally efficient as a runner and a much better pass catcher and blocker than Barry was. Plus Emmitt stuck around longer..he was stronger mentally than Barry.

G

guest301 said:
Renaissance Man "Barry is twice the running back Emmitt Smith was"...I don't agree. Barry was twice the entertaining running back emmitt smith was. But emmitt was brutally efficient as a runner and a much better pass catcher and blocker than Barry was. Plus Emmitt stuck around longer..he was stronger mentally than Barry.

Something tyells me that Barry just didnt have the same passion for football that Emmitt did.It got to a point where he just wasnt having any fun,and that was when he quit.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Who could have any fun when you play for the Lions?

GWTJ

Mentor
If Sanders had the Cowboys "O" line for most of his career like Emmitt did, he might have 30,000 yards. And, if Emmitt was stuck in Detroit we wouldn't even be talking about him now.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Emmitt would have starred in Detroit just like Barry would have starred in dallas. Emmitt was the leading rusher in nfl history for good reason...of course he had to have a good offensive line. I'm not saying he was the greatest back ever..but certainly worthy of your respect GWTJ.

Spooge

Guru
Well Emmit did have that huge and athletic front line to run
behind. Barry had to make his own holes. Barry was on one
of the worst teams (Lions still are) and still came soo close to the
all time rushing title. It's a shame and I think that had he not
quit, he would have yardage that no one could match not for a
long, long time.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I aagree with you about Barry(had he stuck around) would have been easily the all-time yardage leader. I just don't think that takes away from Emmitt's accomplishments. Three super bowl rings and all-time yardage leader speaks for itself.

Spooge

Guru
True guest 301, however Emmit's success represented a " Team"
accomplishment (Troy, Irvin, the front line, etc.) In respect to
Barry, he arguably earned the yardage himself on most occasions.
Any one of Barry's runs were potentially highlight reel stuff.
Barry ran sideways, backwards and defied physics (wait am I talking
about Barry or Super Vi.. I digress.)

guest301

Hall of Famer
True Renaissance Man..However I said in a previous postt that Barry was the more entertaining running back...he had moves I have never seen a running back do on a football field before.

GWTJ

Mentor
I would put a lot of running backs ahead of Emmitt Smith. Backs like Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and many others. Emmitt doesn't even make my top ten list. This is one example of stats being misused to define a players greatness. He does come in 2nd on my most overrated list though, right behind you know who.

white tornado

Mentor
Emmit was a great back whenI has younger my dad always told methats how to run the ball.Emmit did not have great speed but had all the intagibels a Rb needs, incredible balance, thoughness, and vision.