2024 US Open/Payne Stewart

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He actually bogeyed 3 of the last 4 holes. I thought after the birdie on 13 and DeChambeau's bogey on 12 it was over. He had a 2 shot lead with 5 holes left. However, he bogeyed 15,16, and 18. Hard to figure how he just kind of fell apart. As you said it was brutal, especially the 2 and half footer he missed. I don't feel as bad about my game when I see this. Glad for DeChambeau. Hopefully, he can add some other Majors to his resume before the end of his career.
Maybe this will add some fire to McIIroy as they head to Troon Scotland in a few weeks for The Open Championship! I Always enjoy The Open (British Open as I still like to call it).
I was referring to the two very short putts he missed after not missing a putt under five feet up until then. I realize he made three bogeys coming in. Even though they weren't all bogeys, he played each of the last five holes poorly after stepping up to the 14th tee with a two shot lead.

There was extreme pressure and it got to him, no question. He was taking longer to hit his tee shots and irons and to putt, got away from his routine when it was important not to. There was some great discussion about him afterwards on Live From on Golf Channel, including from Paul McGinley, the Irishman. The consensus was that he's just not enough of a fighter in these kinds of battles, a great player who hits beautiful shots but lacks the grit needed ala the way DeChambeau hung tough and perservered even without his best stuff Sunday.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I was referring to the two very short putts he missed after not missing a putt under five feet up until then. I realize he made three bogeys coming in. Even though they weren't all bogeys, he played each of the last five holes poorly after stepping up to the 14th tee with a two shot lead.

There was extreme pressure and it got to him, no question. He was taking longer to hit his tee shots and irons and to putt, got away from his routine when it was important not to. There was some great discussion about him afterwards on Live From on Golf Channel, including from Paul McGinley, the Irishman. The consensus was that he's just not enough of a fighter in these kinds of battles, a great player who hits beautiful shots but lacks the grit needed ala the way DeChambeau hung tough and perservered even without his best stuff Sunday.
I meant to post this sooner Don. The US Open and Masters low amateur Neal Shipley is a Pittsburgh native. He will pack up and head to western Canada for his debut on PGA Tour Americas next week. He is the second player in the last quarter century to earn low amateur honors at the same year's Masters and US Open, joining Viktor Hovland in 2019.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shipley's an interesting character, certainly doesn't fit the stereotype of the modern golfer who spends lots of time in the gym, hopefully he'll have a successful pro career, which many times isn't the case with top amateurs.

The 2025 Open will be at Oakmont Country Club outside Pittsburgh, the venue that's hosted it through the years more than any other course. Dustin Johnson won it the last time it was played there, in '16. Before that Angel Cabrera was the unlikely winner in '07, holding off Tiger Woods.