2024 US Open/Payne Stewart

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Twenty-Five years ago this week two-time US Open Champion Payne Stewart won his second US Open in Pinehurst, NC. Only a few months later October 25th, 1999 he would die as well as several others in a plane crash when his jet failed to pressurize and flew until it ran out of fuel. I watched Rich Lerner interview his now grown son and daughter this morning and remember Stewart well as a fiery competitor, but mostly for his faith in which he openly spoke about. He was well loved and is remembered to this day. If you don't know about Payne Stewart, I would encourage you to read or watch the tributes to him. Hopefully the Golf Channel will air The Payne Stewart Story this week.
Looking forward to this week and pulling for Scottie Scheffler to continue his dominance. Hopefully, Jordan Spieth can make a good showing and my local guy JT Poston is in the field as well.

Booth

Mentor
Twenty-Five years ago this week two-time US Open Champion Payne Stewart won his second US Open in Pinehurst, NC. Only a few months later October 25th, 1999 he would die as well as several others in a plane crash when his jet failed to pressurize and flew until it ran out of fuel. I watched Rich Lerner interview his now grown son and daughter this morning and remember Stewart well as a fiery competitor, but mostly for his faith in which he openly spoke about. He was well loved and is remembered to this day. If you don't know about Payne Stewart, I would encourage you to read or watch the tributes to him. Hopefully the Golf Channel will air The Payne Stewart Story this week.
Looking forward to this week and pulling for Scottie Scheffler to continue his dominance. Hopefully, Jordan Spieth can make a good showing and my local guy JT Poston is in the field as well.
I think I have posted this photo before, but I believe it's worth posting again the Payne Stewart statue at Pinehurst.

Attachments

• FullSizeR003 (2).jpg
    FullSizeR003 (2).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Golf Channel's one hour documentary about Payne is very well done, hard to watch it without feeling emotional when it gets to the circumstances of his death and how it affected his wife and young children. He was his own man and his tragic passing left a big void in the golfing world.

A golfer wins the Payne Stewart Award each year whose "values align with the character, charity and sportsmanship that Stewart showed. This includes respect for the traditions of the game, commitment to uphold the game's heritage of charitable support and professional and meticulous presentation of himself and the sport through his dress and conduct." (from Wikipedia)

The tribute is always shown each year along with the ceremony on Golf Channel. Hopefully it will air this week given the venue and the notable 25th anniversary of Stewart's win. I remember it very well, Payne just edging out a young Phil Mickelson trying to win his first major. Phil's wife Amy was due at any moment and gave birth soon after the tournament. I was rooting for Phil as I always did for many years, but was happy for Payne as well. He had ice in his veins down the stretch and it will always be remembered as one of the most memorable U.S. Open wins,

NikoDuke

Mentor
I was young and new to golf when Payne beat Phil in that US Open but, I distinctly recall Payne grabbing Phil and telling him he already won as he was becoming a father.

I also recall Stuart Appleby f wearing his gear as a tribute and a few athletes in various sports honoring Payne by putting his name,image on their shorts, shoes etc.. and Tracy Mcgrady moved into Payne Stewart's home after he passed and his wife sold it..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if Golf Channel is going to show the Payne Stewart documentary or not during the tournament. I was checking tomorrow's schedule and the only film playing will be one about caddies. Maybe Rabbi Lerner has been too busy admiring his large array of Tiger Woods dolls to be bothered.

I did find this on YouTube. It appears to incorporate some of the original Golf Channel special with some other footage. Worth a watch for those who want to learn about Payne Stewart or those who remember him and want to take a trip down memory lane. He was quite a man, blonde-haired, good looking, free thinking and fearless, loved life with a passion, unique in the way he dressed on the course. He made his mark by winning three majors, most notably the 1999 U.S. Open and his sad premature death only adds to his legend.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I don't know if Golf Channel is going to show the Payne Stewart documentary or not during the tournament. I was checking tomorrow's schedule and the only film playing will be one about caddies. Maybe Rabbi Lerner has been too busy admiring his large array of Tiger Woods dolls to be bothered.

I did find this on YouTube. It appears to incorporate some of the original Golf Channel special with some other footage. Worth a watch for those who want to learn about Payne Stewart or those who remember him and want to take a trip down memory lane. He was quite a man, blonde-haired, good looking, free thinking and fearless, loved life with a passion, unique in the way he dressed on the course. He made his mark by winning three majors, most notably the 1999 U.S. Open and his sad premature death only adds to his legend.

Thanks, Don for posting this video. Although I've seen it before, I watched it again. As you said in a previous post, it's very difficult not to get emotional watching it. Especially when you have found the love of your life as he did with his wife Tracey and with his two children. I understand she never remarried. Stewart was also a man loved and respected by many. I'm glad he came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Don for posting this video. Although I've seen it before, I watched it again. As you said in a previous post, it's very difficult not to get emotional watching it. Especially when you have found the love of your life as he did with his wife Tracey and with his two children. I understand she never remarried. Stewart was also a man loved and respected by many. I'm glad he came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.
I watch it just about every year on the Golf Channel. Like their documentaries on Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, I never get tired of seeing them. Palmer in particular may have led the most amazing life of any athlete ever, he was truly "the king" because of his respect for the common man and his sport and the time he gave everyone who came in contact with him.

Carolina Speed, being a religious man I'm sure you'll appreciate Paul Azinger's eulogy at the service for Payne. He's a deeply religious man and was undoubtedly instrumental in the change in Payne's spiritual beliefs in the years before his untimely demise.