2024 NFL Draft

Warhawk_46

Master
Will Shipley put up 16 bench presses at his pro day. Checking the 2024 Combine results, that would have put him roughly in the middle of the RBs. Yet this clown writer keeps insisting that Shipley doesn't have the strength to run up the middle and that he should be mainly a receiver in the NFL.

Just like almost all White WRs are racially stereotyped as slot receivers by the draft "gurus" whether it's their best position or not, a pure running back with excellent receiving skills, the same, to use a favorite Caste term, "mouth watering" package as Christian McCaffrey, has to somehow be diminished. Shipley's tape and his stats at Clemson show he has a similar skill set to McCaffrey. Whether he turns out to be that good or not, he certainly should be someone teams would want to give that opportunity to.

8. Will Shipley - Clemson - 5-11, 206 pounds​

If I'm being honest, I think Shipley might make a better slot receiver in the NFL than a true running back. Shipley's tape shows an athletic back with great pass-catching skills that moves well in open space. I don't love his work between the tackles because his power is extremely lacking (almost like a slot receiver running the ball between the tackles). I do like his feet and vision and think he'll be a nice part of a running back committee.

I just wouldn't ever want him to be the primary ball carrier on early downs. If the Chiefs wanted to take him in the fifth round and use him as a passing game weapon both out of the backfield and out of the slot, I'm all for it. I worry about his ability to take over the Jerick McKinnon role because his lack of power shows up in pass protection, too. https://arrowheadaddict.com/posts/2024-nfl-draft-top-20-running-back-prospects-kansas-city-chiefs/3

(If anyone wants to contact the author his bio page gives his twitter account address.)
I find it ironic… all the “experts” said McCaffrey would struggle to run up the middle… and he is the best in the league now.

If (and that’s a big IF) Will Shipley is given an opportunity, he will be a multiple season 1,000 yard running back. He has all the tools to succeed. What I like most is that his mind seems to be in the right place as he has declared himself the best back in the draft.
Not a “I’m just happy to do whatever the team needs” player but one who knows HE will be the most talented back on any team he goes to.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I find it ironic… all the “experts” said McCaffrey would struggle to run up the middle… and he is the best in the league now.

If (and that’s a big IF) Will Shipley is given an opportunity, he will be a multiple season 1,000 yard running back. He has all the tools to succeed. What I like most is that his mind seems to be in the right place as he has declared himself the best back in the draft.
Not a “I’m just happy to do whatever the team needs” player but one who knows HE will be the most talented back on any team he goes to.
I would wonder why will Shipley himself doesn’t comment on what a ridiculous statement that all was. He is 206 pounds. He is not 245 lbs. to bench 225 16 times at that weight shows good strength poind for pound.

If we see how ludicrous these statements are, then clearly he does too.

I think white players need to be a bit more aggressive in their self promotion. If not, they will keep their seats at the back of the bus.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Today’s CBS mock…

01.02 Was- Maye QB
01.05 Min- McCarthy QB
01.07 Ten- Alt OT
01.11 LAC- Bowers TE
01.22 Phi- McConkey WR
01.24 Dal- Barton OT
01.29 Det- DeJean CB
01.30 Bal- Beebe IOL
01.32 KC- Pearsall WR
Just reviewed an ESPN mock by Tannenbaum and he had 9 of our guys as well.

Maye. McCarthy. Alt. Nix. Powers-Johnson. Bowers. DeJean. McConkey. Fiske.

If we can get 9 Whites, it would be pretty awesome as it’s well over the typical 20% average at 28%. Last year for comparison, the 1st round only had 5 Whites taken or 15%.

Last edited:

jphoss

Mentor
I would wonder why will Shipley himself doesn’t comment on what a ridiculous statement that all was. He is 206 pounds. He is not 245 lbs. to bench 225 16 times at that weight shows good strength poind for pound.

If we see how ludicrous these statements are, then clearly he does too.

I think white players need to be a bit more aggressive in their self promotion. If not, they will keep their seats at the back of the bus.
That you have to be derrick henry size to have the strength to run up the middle is another one of these unquestioned caste assumptions like the long arm advantage for lineman. Force= massXacceleration so a rb with average strength but great acceleration and leverage will deliver more force than a plodding slug like aj dillon. Darrin sproles was one of the best inside runners bc of his first step acceleration, leverage and great leg strength. This doesn’t even take into account the importance of vision, balance, and reading your blocks. There’s plenty of variables to account for yet these dorks only cannot or will not do that bc it does not suit their lame narrative

Given what we already know about the kid it is indeed a red flag. If he's a little fruity I don't think it really affects his ability to play, but to go out in public before the draft with painted nails and a pink phone, where you know people will see you, speaks to his attitude. If he were about football and team first, he would not bring attention to himself in that manner. Even Cam Newton toed the line for his first several years in the league before fully embracing his eccentric gayness.

The Hock

Master
Got my draft mag finally. First thing I look up is DeJean. Questions his ability to "flip his hips" then compares him to an upsider who "jumped from cornerback to safety."

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Got my draft mag finally. First thing I look up is DeJean. Questions his ability to "flip his hips" then compares him to an upsider who "jumped from cornerback to safety."

As JimmyChitwood loves to say, "You just can't make this stuff up". They love to lie in the Lame Stream Media!

It's almost funny to see these cliches once you become aware of them. Goes to show how much these draft analysts just parrot each other and recycle the same talking points year after year.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Tulane QB Michael Pratt just recently had his pro day. He's pretty much forgotten by the media and so called "experts" at this point. Right now he seems to be projected as a mid-rounder. I enjoyed watching him play at Tulane, the upset in the Cotton Bowl against "generational" USC QB Caleb Williams and almost led Tulane to a victory over number 2 Oklahoma in 2021 which is when he popped up on my radar. 4 years of starting experience and turning a program around in 2022/2023. He's certainly better than the 2nd tier of quotas being pushed into the league as a prospect - Milton, Rattler, Penix, Travis. It would be great if he ended up drafted fairly early - 3rd round to a team like the Jets, Rams or Broncos as a potential QB to develop long term. Not that it seems to matter in a league that no longer develops QBs but he checks off all of the Bill Parcells Rules for drafting a QB:

• Be a three-year starter - started 4 years for Tulane
  • Be a senior in college - 4th year junior (I'll allow it)
  • Graduate from college - yes
  • Start 30 games - 44 games started
  • Win 23 games - 27 games won
  • Post a 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio - 90/26 TD to INT ratio
  • Complete at least 60% of passes thrown - 60.6% career passer - improved ever year as a starter

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/pratt-f...or-under-the-radar-nfl-draft-qb-aaron-rodgers

https://herosports.com/fbs-nfl-draft-michael-pratt-tulane-pro-quarterback-cpcp/

Quarterback Michael Pratt headlines Tulane's pro day at Saints' indoor facility

With scouts from almost every NFL team in attendance, Michael Pratt launched a perfect strike to Phat Watts more than 50 yards down the field Tuesday morning at the Saints' indoor facility.

Pratt, Tulane’s career record-holder in passing yards and touchdowns, was the headliner among 16 prospects at the Green Wave’s pro day, which was moved to Metairie from Yulman Stadium because of heavy overnight rain that lasted into the morning. Players lifted weights, ran the 40-yard dash and did shuttle runs before going to individual work.

Most eyes were on Pratt, who is projected as a third-day draft pick (rounds 4 through 7), in his final opportunity to showcase his on-field skills after participating in the Senior Bowl and the NFL combine.

Having spent eight weeks in Florida with quarterback tutor Tony Racioppi fine-tuning his mechanics, Pratt liked his performance as he threw short, intermediate and deep balls to fellow pro day participants Jha’Quan Jackson, Lawrence Keys, Chris Carter and Shedro Louis along with Watts, a returning Tulane player.

“It was awesome,” Pratt said. “It’s great to be back with all these guys and get to spin it around and have some fun.”

Pratt is banking on his off-the-field skills as much as anything to be a separator from other quarterbacks in his draft range. His leadership and the camaraderie he enjoys with teammates were constant talking points as he guided the Wave to an American Athletic Conference championship and Cotton Bowl victory in 2022, and a return to the AAC title game in 2023 after a 2-10 season in 2021 — his second of four years as a starter.

No Tulane quarterback has been drafted since J.P. Losman ended a run in 2004 of three consecutive starters (Shaun King and Patrick Ramsey) being taken.

“The interviews are really important,” Pratt said. “There’s throwing the ball, but they watch the tape, they see your footwork, they see your mechanics, your ball speed, your touch, deep balls, intermediate game and all that kind of stuff. It’s what you can do under pressure going to a place like the combine, the Senior Bowl, just having those opportunities to compete at the highest level around the best guys in the country.”

Pratt skipped the 40-yard dash as did Jackson, whose 4.42 at the combine was the 12th-fastest among 30 wide receivers, and guard Prince Pines, whose 5.24 was the eighth-slowest among 49 offensive linemen in Indianapolis.

Aside from kicker Valentino Ambrosio, the other 13 players at pro day ran the 40. . No official times were made available.

Jackson, who hopes to go in the later rounds, believes he helped his chances Tuesday after joining Pratt at the Senior Bowl and the combine.

“It went great,” he said. “We’ve been working our whole lifetime just to get this opportunity to play on the next level. I got hurt (late in the season) and went and balled out at the Senior Bowl, and then went to the combine and ran a fast 40 and caught every ball there.”

All but 13 of Jackson’s 109 career receptions at Tulane came from Pratt. The duo connected for the final time on Tuesday, barring the unlikely possibility of both making the roster of the same NFL team.

Pratt enjoyed the moment, focusing on playing with his longtime teammates again rather than worrying about his wide-ranging draft status.

“There are so many mock drafts that are saying I’m going to go here and go there and this round and that round,” he said. “It really doesn’t matter until it comes down to draft day. I’m not paying it that much attention. I’m just controlling what I can control to continue to get better and prepare for once I get my opportunity.

“I want to go to whatever team wants me. I’m super blessed and fortunate to be in this situation.”

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Given what we already know about the kid it is indeed a red flag. If he's a little fruity I don't think it really affects his ability to play, but to go out in public before the draft with painted nails and a pink phone, where you know people will see you, speaks to his attitude. If he were about football and team first, he would not bring attention to himself in that manner. Even Cam Newton toed the line for his first several years in the league before fully embracing his eccentric gayness.

He does seem very effeminate and soft. Comical to see that the consensus in the league with all the supposed "experts" is that he is a generational talent.

jacque

Guru
John Rhys Plumlee ran a 4.49u 40 at the pro day today, possibly a 4.5 something, that sucks… only way he was getting drafted is if he was a 4.3 guy

Yeah 4.49 is fantastic but he was supposed to be the ultimate speed QB

Bucky

Hall of Famer
John Rhys Plumlee ran a 4.49u 40 at the pro day today, possibly a 4.5 something, that sucks… only way he was getting drafted is if he was a 4.3 guy

I’ll take it considering he finished the year playing with a knee brace! He seems to think he can play QB at next level, based on just browsing through various articles. I’m more high on him as a RB/Athlete.

backrow

Hall of Famer
At least Pro Football Weekly has something positive to say about Cooper DeJean.

Cooper DeJean is the top cornerback prospect: The talk of DeJean playing outside cornerback or safety or slot cornerback at the next level is not due to lack of a home position; it's because he could truly be an impact player anywhere. His footwork, ball skills and explosive athleticism make him an impactful outside cornerback — one with All-Pro potential.

Warhawk_46

Master

Yes this is very disappointing. His knee issues seem to have caught up to him. At one point he was a low 4.3 guy easily. His freshman year at Ole Miss he was easily pulling away from those defensive backs in the open field. He was a couple steps ahead of everyone!

Re: Jayden Daniels-

"Daniels didn't run a 40-yard dash or do any of the other athletic testing, opting simply to throw Wednesday in Baton Rouge -- although Daniels did tell NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe afterward that he thinks he could have run faster than LSU receivers Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr., in spite of both registering times in the 4.3-second range during the pre-draft process."

------------------Where have we heard that before? The world is full of people who THINK they can run faster than others.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Another arrogant quota
He will be another in a growing line of quota failures. At this point it does not really matter because the typical uninformed retard fan thinks running qbs are better. The programming has been embedded. Daniels played a cupcake schedule and the SEC is overrated as hell as a conference.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Agreed on the programming being embedded. There will be a Black QB or 2 or 3 drafted every 1st round from now on. Whether they deserve it or not. Trey Lance, Malik from Titans. LOL

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Agreed on the programming being embedded. There will be a Black QB or 2 or 3 drafted every 1st round from now on. Whether they deserve it or not. Trey Lance, Malik from Titans. LOL
Justin Fields, Kyler Murray, Jamezzzz, Mariota. Funny how the last two never got brought up as busts.

But yea the league trajectory is obvious.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Re: Jayden Daniels-

"Daniels didn't run a 40-yard dash or do any of the other athletic testing, opting simply to throw Wednesday in Baton Rouge -- although Daniels did tell NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe afterward that he thinks he could have run faster than LSU receivers Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr., in spite of both registering times in the 4.3-second range during the pre-draft process."

------------------Where have we heard that before? The world is full of people who THINK they can run faster than others.
When he makes that statement you have to wonder, why doesn’t anyone ask him then why he didn’t opt to run it ?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-rumors-jayden-daniels-drake-maye-debate-might-be-over/

The hit job on Maye is absurd. He was the best QB I watched over the past 2 years and is the complete package. This seems a lot like the overthinking in 2020 when Herbert was the third QB selected. I feel Herbert is only second to Josh Allen as the most physically talented QB in the league. Maye certainly matches up well with Allen, Herbert and Lawrence from a physical ability standpoint. Williams was a system QB (no one ever mentions that about black QBs though), has personality and character trait red flags yet the anonymous NFL executives all label him the best QB and Daniels the second best QB. Levis last year was the obvious hit job by the NFL and media - he certainly performed better than both the consensus number 1 overall pick and number 3 overall pick and it isn't up for debate. We can certainly see the caste system tightening it's grip on the QB position and it's met with glee from all parties outside of a few of us who know what's really going on.

As far as McCarthy, I think he's worthy of a 1st round selection but more in the mid-teens to 20s. A lot to work with but he needs to be developed and put in the right situation. The character, leadership traits and physical ability are all there but the way he was used in Michigan's offense makes me think he's only really scratched the surface. QBs are really no longer viewed as a long term investment, the league has gotten lazy with actually developing QBs and would much rather implement remedial offenses and manipulate the rules to continue pushing one read blacks at the position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers have been connected to DeJean, Shipley, McConkey and Pearsall by various articles. God help any that end up going to the Rooney plantation. Unfortunately I'm starting to get this gut feeling that some or most of the White "outlier" prospects are going to be drafted by organizations that won't develop them properly even if they want to.