2023 World Outdoor Season

mastermulti

Master
nothing to worry international athletes in this meet unfortunately. Listed as a favourable wind of +1.3, the winning time of 10.25 by Browning is very mediocre - and as for HALE'S 5th placing in 10.52 .....welll!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Tiaan Whelpton, 10.25 with 0.0 wind.
Why do his races always have 0.0 wind?

mastermulti

Master
New Zealander Zoe Hobbs in her first outing this year just ran a new very smooth PR 11.07 (1.8) in her heat and 10.89 (3.4) in NZ 100 final

white lightning

Hall of Famer
New Zealander Zoe Hobbs in her first outing this year just ran a new very smooth PR 11.07 (1.8) in her heat and 10.89 (3.4) in NZ 100 final

Amazing and her talent is off the charts! New Zealand has found quite the star. All of the female Australian Sprinters have
fallen short as usual so it's great to see New Zealand get some true stars to help grow the sport! With Zoe Hobbs on the female side
and Tiaan Whelpton on the male side. Both of these youngsters have elite talent. It's early but they could help change the face of
Athletics in New Zealand. Zoe Hobbs is further ahead but she is 26 years old compared to Whelpton who is 22 years of age.

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
Zoe Hobbs is 26 this coming September but I'd expect another few years of improvement from her. In a fairly recent interview she talked about her self belief gaining a foothold over her doubts. She was remarkably consistent last year and didn't lose it under pressure.
I'm not one for predictions but I do think she'll crack 11 this season or next judging by these performances in the last 9 months.
According to Mureika's wind tables of 2008 that 10.89 equates to a 10.96 with a legal 2m/s assisting wind so it's there in her legs

NEW ZEALAND Champs, Wellington NZ 11.07 +1.8 2 March 2023
10.89 +3.4 2 March 2023
Hayward Field, Eugene, OREGON USA 11.08 +0.7 16 JUL 2022
Oceania Athletics Championships, Mackay AUS 11.09 +0.8 07 JUN 2022
XXII Commonwealth Games, Birmingham GBR 11.09 +1.4 02 AUG 2022
Meeting de Paris, Stade Charléty, Paris FRA 11.10 +0.5 18 JUN 2022

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
standout sprint for the night was a terrific PB 10.97 (0.4) for New Zealander Zoe Hobbs. What a powerhouse.
Men's were OK but with a previous wind directional change Browning's 10.14 (-0.2) win could have been so much better with 2m extra wind form an hour earlier. Nevertheless I always wanted to see him able to run 10.10 with zero wind and this was close to that.
The men's 4 x 100 broke the meet record set by Jamaica in 2008 with their 38.49 - and that was with a junior running as Jack Hale was
missing in action

white is right

Hall of Famer
Amazing and her talent is off the charts! New Zealand has found quite the star. All of the female Australian Sprinters have
fallen short as usual so it's great to see New Zealand get some true stars to help grow the sport! With Zoe Hobbs on the female side
and Tiaan Whelpton on the male side. Both of these youngsters have elite talent. It's early but they could help change the face of
Athletics in New Zealand. Zoe Hobbs is further ahead but she is 26 years old compared to Whelpton who is 22 years of age.
With all of the historically great New Zealand runners I don't recall one great female world level runner before. I know she made a world semifinal and commonwealth final if she can run times like that against the elite of female sprinting she can make a world final and at the commonwealth level she should medal.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The 2023 Sydney Track Classic took place today in Australia. I must say it's been frustrating for the sprinters and other track
athletes as just about every race has negative wind. Today was no different.

Despite the wind not helping out we saw Rohan Browning return to a respectable level.

Rohan Browning won in a time of 10.14 -0.2 wind. He beat E. Nketia who ran a 10.16. Jake Penny ran 10.26 for 3rd
with Jake Doran rounding out the top 4 coming home in a 10.28 time. A nice positive wind today and we would have
had sub sub 10.10's. Hopefully next time out as the Australian Summer Season is almost over.

mastermulti

Master
It was great to watch the men's relay. The home straight was 30 metres in front of me and the teams were spaced so I could see Browning running by himself flat out at 60m-70m mark, not battling Nketia.

I must say anyone running low 10s in isolation looks extremely fast. He was just skimming across the ground.

Here's what I could find from Zoe's race

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It was great to watch the men's relay. The home straight was 30 metres in front of me and the teams were spaced so I could see Browning running by himself flat out at 60m-70m mark, not battling Nketia.

I must say anyone running low 10s in isolation looks extremely fast. He was just skimming across the ground.
I wish I could have been there. What a fun day of track. Haven't seen any videos of the race yet online. If someone
finds it please post it. Glad you had a good time mastermulti. How did you do in your masters events?

mastermulti

Master
I wish I could have been there. What a fun day of track. Haven't seen any videos of the race yet online. If someone
finds it please post it. Glad you had a good time mastermulti. How did you do in your masters events?
Our semi resident German won the Shot. But hey, I'm on a learning curve and he has learned from childhood in East Germany- so to be 2nd to him by 9cms I was over the moon. Medalled in discus too.
Now for technique training in the off season. I throw discus virtually by arm so there's lots to go yet.

Watching Zoe Hobbs run the fastest time ever on Australian soil was a blast. S0 powerful and fluent and still only 25 so how low can she go? Our 18 year old Lewis was a quarter second back, seemed to have virtually the same top end speed but won't have the strength and drive of Zoe for some years yet I guess. She jumps straight up

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The fact that Zoe Hobbs ran that fast is incredible by itself. Then add it the wind was only 0.5 so it was almost no wind. She did that
mostly on her own power. Incredbile stride frequency and so smooth like you said. Amazing performance. I'm so happy for her. Congrats!

mastermulti

Master
some news W/L from the horse's mouth - both our men's and women's relay members were pretty trashed after a whole week of relay camp during the week. Jack Hale pulled out due to a tightening hamstring - not injured but precautionary only.
They were to try for the Australian record in Sydney but a fill-in junior for Hale (who scorches that 2nd bend like no other here), a one poor change and 2 mediocre changes let them down by 3/10ths.
Hopefully they'll get it in the next few tries but, as we know, nothing is certain in the relay world.

The ladies were .25 secs away from a Nat. record but, again, fatigued and missing Riley Day (who had a successful return to racing in Brisbane same weekend 900 kms away).
The teams have a sub 38.17 and sub 42.99 to chase

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
here's the youtube presentation of the Sydney track classic for anyone with some time on their hands. (I know you like these meets W/L).
Individual 100s start around 40 minutes including a nice interview to show Zoe Hobb's delight - and her pleasant but strange to the ear New Zealand accent.
The men's 4 x 100 starts just before the 2 hour mark

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I talked about this very young South African Teenage Sprinter last year. His name is Armand Ver Der Walt. I see elite potential and I mean
elite in this kid. He has talent to be similar to a Matthew Boling. He also reminds me of Christophe Lemaitre. He just set new personal
best times as an 18 year old of 10.19 and 20.43 just a few weeks ago. The kid won't be 19 till October. When he adds some strength to his
tall lanky physique he will be scary good. He is just a natural born sprinter in my opinion. Here are his last 2 races!

mqdefault.jpg

maxres.jpg

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
I talked about this very young South African Teenage Sprinter last year. His name is Armand Ver Der Walt. I see elite potential and I mean
elite in this kid. He has talent to be similar to a Matthew Boling. He also reminds me of Christophe Lemaitre. He just set new personal
best times as an 18 year old of 10.19 and 20.43 just a few weeks ago. The kid won't be 19 till October. When he adds some strength to his
tall lanky physique he will be scary good. He is just a natural born sprinter in my opinion. Here are his last 2 races!

mqdefault.jpg

this time isn't in the IAAF lists yet - I checked irregular wing readings also but nowhere to be found. He can sure stride out beautifully and might be a true 200 metre great - we can never find one of those here in Australia.

Anyone who even approaches a 20.50 here gets more air time than the run merits

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He ran a wind legal 10.35 -0.5 on February 1st. That is in the books officially. I believe both of these races above are wind legal but with or
without wind the kid is 18 years of age. He can flat out fly! If you look closely at the races no flags or anything are blowing. It might
not even be a wind reading or very minimal at best. Look at his 100 & 200 meter videos. Nothing at all looks windy.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I found both his times - 10.19 and 20.43 - on World Athletics 2023 outdoor lists, earlier today.
Now they're gone.
I guess the meet wasn't officially sanctioned, or didn't meet WA requirements.
They've gotten very strict/weird about this recently.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was right about both races. Virtually no wind. The IAAF and World Athletics need to update their lists. This was a month ago
and it's still not on there. Horrible job by both sites.

armand van der walt 10.19.jpg

Last edited: