2023 Wisconsin Badgers

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Gone is Paul Chryst and the Fullbacks! In is Luke Fickell and the Spread! At Wisconsin?! We’ll see how it shakes out. I’m a traditionalist and biased towards a West Coast, power offense.. Though I will admit Wisconsins offense was at times anemic. Maybe the shake up was needed!

Very interested in how Tanner Mordecai fits in at QB. Badger fans have been longing to cheer on an Elite QB.

Since 2016 Wisconsin has started 14,12,12,12, 14, 16, 12. It looks to be 10 starters this season, 11 if/when they bring on another TE. A lot of depth still.

OFFENSE

QB Tanner Mordecai 6’1 210 5th year SR and transfer from SMU/Oklahoma

TE Hayden Rucci RSr. 6’4 253

*Clay Cundiff 6’3 245 *coming off a knee injury. Medically retired.

LT Jack Nelson 6’7 305 RJr.

LG Joe Huber 6’4 315 *Cincy transfer.

C Tanner Bortolini 6’4 310 RJr.

RG Michael Furtney 6’6 320RSr.

RT Riley Mahlman 6’8 320 RJr.

DEFENSE

NT Gio Paez 6’3 320 RSr.

OLB CJ Goetz 6’3 240 RSr.

SS Hunter Wohler 6’2 212 Jr.

Players to keep an eye on: QB Branden Locke, RB/KR Cade Yacamelli, TEs Jack Pugh, Hayden Rucci,Cole Dakovich and Tucker Ashcraft. OLs Dylan Barrett, Trey Wedig, Michael Furtney, and Joe Brunner.

Defensively keep an eye on massive DL Ben Barten(6’5 303) and Cade McDonald(6’6 285) LBs Tatum Grass, Bryan Sanborn, and Jeff Pietrowski(Michigan State transfer). Safeties Preston Zachman, Owen Arnett and Bryce Carey.

Last edited:

Phall

Master
So one offseason of the Fickell regime and the white starter tally drops from 16 to 10?

This is obviously going to be the biggest drop year-over-year for any D1 team. We don’t track D2/D3, but it’s hard to imagine another program hemorrhaging SIX white starters anywhere else.

Lots of new coaches get up to the podium at their introductory press conference and bang the gavel about “changing the culture.” The numbers don’t lie, and Fickell is making his culture known loudly and clearly.

Frankly, this lineup looks indistinguishable from the half-dozen teams in the “second tier” of the Big Ten, after Iowa.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
So one offseason of the Fickell regime and the white starter tally drops from 16 to 10?

This is obviously going to be the biggest drop year-over-year for any D1 team. We don’t track D2/D3, but it’s hard to imagine another program hemorrhaging SIX white starters anywhere else.

Lots of new coaches get up to the podium at their introductory press conference and bang the gavel about “changing the culture.” The numbers don’t lie, and Fickell is making his culture known loudly and clearly.

Frankly, this lineup looks indistinguishable from the half-dozen teams in the “second tier” of the Big Ten, after Iowa.
Phall, unfortunately I’m the retard here as Badgers only had 12 starters last season and 16 year prior. So the drop off has been in the works.

One of the Black MLBs was busted for a DUI. Not sure how long they’ll punish him but should result in PT for Grass and Sanborn.

Phall

Master
Phall, unfortunately I’m the retard here as Badgers only had 12 starters last season and 16 year prior. So the drop off has been in the works.

One of the Black MLBs was busted for a DUI. Not sure how long they’ll punish him but should result in PT for Grass and Sanborn.
Ha! No worries, brother. I think that getting on scholarship (for whites) is more than half the battle toward playing time. Walk-ons have a steep climb, but scholarship whites won’t automatically get bumped by a new “four-star” upsider. Hoping the meritocracy concept plays out quickly this season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://www.on3.com/college/illinoi...-interim-coach-jim-leonard-as-senior-analyst/

Not sure if this belongs here or in the College Football News section. Leonhard was one of the better d-coordinators during his stint at his alma mater. I still feel he got a raw deal by the administration who bypassed him for Fickell. Not really to enthusiastic with the Fickell hire to be honest, Leonhard made sure there were Whites on that very good Badger defense. Illinois actually had a really solid season in 2022 and Bielema's 2022/2023 recruiting classes have been fairly White friendly.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Wow Leonhard joining Bert Bielema as a FIB… What is life.

Phall

Master
Leonard actually played for Bielema once upon a time. Apparently, he also recently had surgery, so an analyst role for his former coach might be a work/life balance decision more than any other factor.

Reading some internet comments, it seems that Fickell's offer to Leonard to stay on as Wisconsin DC did not include keeping/hiring his own personnel. HeSome people think that Leonard would have been "co-DC" with the now-fulltime hire Mike Tressel (yes, that Tressel family), so with one foot out the door anyway, he would have essentially been training his replacement while running Fickell's new base package. I think Leonard also turned down an NFL DC role this offseason, so he's probably biding his time before taking head coaching offers next season.

I'd love to see him at Michigan if Harbaugh decides to pack it in, but I'm not sure he'd get the offer. Northwestern will certainly make a bid, but they already have hurdles toward success before this new roster fallout from the hazing "scandal." Having a prolific former assistant roaming around off the plantation is going to be a narrative that informs the perception of Fickell's success. Right now, I'm rooting for Leonard.

Warhawk_46

Master
Leonard actually played for Bielema once upon a time. Apparently, he also recently had surgery, so an analyst role for his former coach might be a work/life balance decision more than any other factor.

Reading some internet comments, it seems that Fickell's offer to Leonard to stay on as Wisconsin DC did not include keeping/hiring his own personnel. HeSome people think that Leonard would have been "co-DC" with the now-fulltime hire Mike Tressel (yes, that Tressel family), so with one foot out the door anyway, he would have essentially been training his replacement while running Fickell's new base package. I think Leonard also turned down an NFL DC role this offseason, so he's probably biding his time before taking head coaching offers next season.

I'd love to see him at Michigan if Harbaugh decides to pack it in, but I'm not sure he'd get the offer. Northwestern will certainly make a bid, but they already have hurdles toward success before this new roster fallout from the hazing "scandal." Having a prolific former assistant roaming around off the plantation is going to be a narrative that informs the perception of Fickell's success. Right now, I'm rooting for Leonard.
Me too.

I actively wish Wisconsin tanks due to the Fickerell hire.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Looks like Fickell chased away Clay Cundiff and Jack Eschenbach, UWs top TEs from last season.. Be vigilant to see where those 2 end up elsewhere.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Looks like Fickell chased away Clay Cundiff and Jack Eschenbach, UWs top TEs from last season.. Be vigilant to see where those 2 end up elsewhere.

Yes I hope they land in the right places. I think that Wisconsin is trying to copy what the Packers have been doing for a decade. This sucks!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Yes I hope they land in the right places. I think that Wisconsin is trying to copy what the Packers have been doing for a decade. This sucks!
Looking like Badger TEs are getting tossed to the scrap pile with the FBs. This new spread offense.. I hate em lol

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Looking like Badger TEs are getting tossed to the scrap pile with the FBs. This new spread offense.. I hate em lol
Clay Cundiff ended up medically retiring. Shame but I understand he’s been through a gauntlet of injuries for a 22yr old. No word on Eschenbach yet.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Overrated Wisconsin LB with a slap on da wrist from Fickell and administration. 50mph over the speed limit ticket and followed it up with a DUI a few weeks later. Won’t miss anytime. He had a measley 64 tackles last season, weak for a Wisconsin LB.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Overrated Wisconsin LB with a slap on da wrist from Fickell and administration. 50mph over the speed limit ticket and followed it up with a DUI a few weeks later. Won’t miss anytime. He had a measley 64 tackles last season, weak for a Wisconsin LB.

Predictable for sure but just a perfect example of the leniency afforded to black "student" athletes. It's long been a part of the caste system - my guess is it was Massa Bowden and Jimmy Johnson that really set that practice into play.

My guess is the spread will be successful this time around - we all remember the Gary Andersen spread era though. I just think Fickell will get away from recruiting in state kids and end up a complete racial sellout like pretty much every other White head coach.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Predictable for sure but just a perfect example of the leniency afforded to black "student" athletes. It's long been a part of the caste system - my guess is it was Massa Bowden and Jimmy Johnson that really set that practice into play.

My guess is the spread will be successful this time around - we all remember the Gary Andersen spread era though. I just think Fickell will get away from recruiting in state kids and end up a complete racial sellout like pretty much every other White head coach.
No fan of the spread.

So far in transfer haul and recruiting classes Fickell has held up. He’s after in State LBs Cooper Catalano and Landon Gauthier. Has 2 offers out to in state TEs and has an in state OL commit in Derek Jensen.

We’ll see how things shape up. Imo Wisconsin has gotten a TON of favorable press since Fickell hiring. Pressure is going to be on year 1.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
No fan of the spread.

So far in transfer haul and recruiting classes Fickell has held up. He’s after in State LBs Cooper Catalano and Landon Gauthier. Has 2 offers out to in state TEs and has an in state OL commit in Derek Jensen.

We’ll see how things shape up. Imo Wisconsin has gotten a TON of favorable press since Fickell hiring. Pressure is going to be on year 1.
Yea I’m not a fan of the black quarterbacks and fickells track record reeks in that department. I hope Mordecai has a strong year though, he was awesome at SMU

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Yea I’m not a fan of the black quarterbacks and fickells track record reeks in that department. I hope Mordecai has a strong year though, he was awesome at SMU
I was shocked when Fickell named Mordecai and Locke above Evers..

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Few updates:

Transfer(Cincy) Center Jake Renfro has been banged up all Summer. He’s out for now and versatile OL Tanner Bortolini is in at Center for the opener.

Also 5th yr Sr Hayden Rucci (6’4 253) will start at TE after a tumultuous offseason for TE position. True Freshman Tucker Ashcraft (6’5 245)will be his backup.

Also of note is DB Owen Arnett. 5’11 208 walk-on is listed as backup Nickelback. Along with Preston Zachman gives Badgers 2 more DBs to keep an eye on .

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Fickell releases week 6 depth chart and the mulatto FB is listed 2nd at RB behind Allen, also a mulatto. No clue if Yacamelli will see the field this year. Starting to feel like the “hype” for YAC isn’t matching up with coaches actions.. Looking like he has another year of the racial apprenticeship.

Warhawk_46

Master
Fickell releases week 6 depth chart and the mulatto FB is listed 2nd at RB behind Allen, also a mulatto. No clue if Yacamelli will see the field this year. Starting to feel like the “hype” for YAC isn’t matching up with coaches actions.. Looking like he has another year of the racial apprenticeship.
I have come to loathe Wisconsin. Cannot wait for them to fail and get back to what they do well.