2023 NFL Week 10

backrow

Hall of Famer
I thought I'll start the thread for this week. Tonight is going to be slim pickings but we get to watch Cole Kmet versus Adam Thielen (who's currently on pace for 132 catches!) and most likely a second start for Tyson Bagent who can get another chance to prove he's got what it takes to play in this league (spoiler alert: he does!).

other than that this week all of our eyes will be on 49ers, let's hope for a proper come back of the offense from first five weeks of the season, CMC needs a big game to stay in the MVP race (and of course with a TD he gets an NFL record).

Warhawk_46

Master
It is great to see Thielen performing so well. He never lost a step in Minnesota, it was just the Vikings offense forcing too many passes to Jefferson.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Undersized qb 1st overall pick vs unheralded UDFA QB with better physical tools.

I’ve seen people criticize Bagent’s arm strength but nothing about Young’s arm strength.

This is a great apples to apples caste system match up.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I hope Young finds Thielen early and often, but also gives away a few turnovers. I’ll say 1INT and 1 fumble.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It is great to see Thielen performing so well. He never lost a step in Minnesota, it was just the Vikings offense forcing too many passes to Jefferson.
Thielen has been a great story so far this season.

Tyson Bagent will be starting again for the Bears and tackling machine ILB Jack Sanborn will also get another start, both due to injury of course. At least it adds to the few number of players to have an interest in for this one.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I seriously doubt that I will watch more than a quarter of this stinker, but I do want to see Bagent play as I've not watched him. Although Chicago fans don't deserve any success, I would really like him to do well, fantastically well, playing in the same offense that has "shackled" otherworldly talent Fields. As for Bryce Young, I couldn't care less. A career of mediocre play is my expectation. Thielen with 10 catches a game for 130 yards or so is good, but that's about all I root for on that side of the line.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I would like to see Bagent excel in this game. I never judge a player off of one or two performances. Be they good or bad.

Need to see Bagnet cut down on the turnovers or he might not be around much longer. Being a D2 UDFA he's on a short leash. He can obviously play, but he's not going to be afforded the luxury of "growing pains".

If I'm him, I'm focused on protecting the ball above all else. At least build some trust equity within the league and guarantee myself a roster spot. He doesn't need to put on a clinic to topple the lowly Panthers.

Warhawk_46

Master
I must have missed it, who is the white WR number 15 on Chicago?

Edit: nevermind I see it is Trent Taylor. I recall him having a pretty good rookie season in San Fransisco.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Well so far the undrafted, unheralded White QB is out playing the #1 draft pick black quarterback...And if this holds up gives us a great example to use with the DWFs..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tee Higgins is going to miss this week's game against Houston, while Jamar Chase is questionable with a sore back. That should mean Joe Burrow will be throwing to Trenton Irwin a fair amount. Charlie Jones, who has been on IR, has been cleared to practice but probably won't be activated until next week.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Did Bagent really look much different than Young on the field? They both missed some throws, made plays with their feet and played mistake free football. Bagent looked better if you ask me and considering he started preseason as 4th string before making his way up to the backup. The comments around the Panthers supporting cast are comical too as Andy Dalton fared ok in a spot start earlier this year.

Carolina spent the 1st overall pick on Young. He was the consensus number 1 pick, did not workout at the combine and was labeled by all the "experts" as a sure thing can't miss prospect. Can't make this stuff up!

Bagent certainly has alot to work on but I think he will carve out a solid NFL career.

Last edited:
Did Bagent really look much different than Young on the field? They both missed some throws, made plays with their feet and played mistake free football. Bagent looked better if you ask me and considering he started preseason as 4th string before making his way up to the backup. The comments around the Panthers supporting cast are comical too as Andy Dalton fared ok in a spot start earlier this year.

Carolina spent the 1st overall pick on Young. He was the consensus number 1 pick, did not workout at the combine and was labeled by all the "experts" as a sure thing can't miss prospect. Can't make this stuff up!

Bagent certainly has alot to work on but I think he will carve out a solid NFL career.
If I didn't know who these guys were, I'd guess Bagent was the #1 overall pick and Bryce Young was the plucky UDFA underdog. You don't realize how small 5'10" 185 is for a QB until you see it juxtaposed against the linemen he is supposed to be seeing over. And unlike the midgets before him, he's not a particularly good (or willing) runner. It's not looking great so far.

backrow

Hall of Famer
On that note, what made Young such a strong candidate for a consensus number one pick? I don't even see a hell of a lot of physical tools they usually droll over? Serious question as I haven't followed the draft process and his hype machine.

woody39

Mentor
I think an honest assessment is he looks like he has potential to be a starter and is solid. That is not what I expect from someone who is hyped up as consensus number one choice to be fair. Not his fault but there we are. Sure there were difference makers at other positions who could of gone at 1 and whilst we're at it at 2 and 4. I know it's a quarter back driven league but don't reach learn from the mistakes of countless organisations!

The biggest mistake though I would say was Richardson at 4, he is too light weight has to run because he struggles as pocket passer and is going to be injured constantly terrible pick. At least Young will at least not get injured all the time....

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think an honest assessment is he looks like he has potential to be a starter and is solid. That is not what I expect from someone who is hyped up as consensus number one choice to be fair. Not his fault but there we are. Sure there were difference makers at other positions who could of gone at 1 and whilst we're at it at 2 and 4. I know it's a quarter back driven league but don't reach learn from the mistakes of countless organisations!

The biggest mistake though I would say was Richardson at 4, he is too light weight has to run because he struggles as pocket passer and is going to be injured constantly terrible pick. At least Young will at least not get injured all the time....

Young looks to be a middle of the road ceiling QB. No physical traits stand out - undersized, slight frame, average arm strength, average athleticism. I'd argue he is closer to an AJ McCarron, Greg McElroy type Alabama QB to be honest. If he were White putting up those numbers in the Alabama offense he would have been viewed as a mid-late round QB. The evidence for that argument can be seen with AJ McCarron. McCarron played in a different style offense yet still managed to put up great numbers. His pass attempts per year as a starter were 328, 314, 336 compared to Young's two years at 547 and 380 so of course Young would put up bigger passing yards.

Young went unquestioned into the draft as the consensus number 1 pick with no perceived "warts". The league allowed him to get away with not working out at the combine at all and only throwing at his pro day. The melanin in his skin was used as a substitute for any actual athletic testing. Young will get injured at some point due to his small frame it's inevitable.

Fact is the league is certainly massaging the QB position by rule changes and working in tandem with media and teams to ensure a steady pipleine of blacks overtake the QB position.

woody39

Mentor
Young looks to be a middle of the road ceiling QB. No physical traits stand out - undersized, slight frame, average arm strength, average athleticism. I'd argue he is closer to an AJ McCarron, Greg McElroy type Alabama QB to be honest. If he were White putting up those numbers in the Alabama offense he would have been viewed as a mid-late round QB. The evidence for that argument can be seen with AJ McCarron. McCarron played in a different style offense yet still managed to put up great numbers. His pass attempts per year as a starter were 328, 314, 336 compared to Young's two years at 547 and 380 so of course Young would put up bigger passing yards.

Young went unquestioned into the draft as the consensus number 1 pick with no perceived "warts". The league allowed him to get away with not working out at the combine at all and only throwing at his pro day. The melanin in his skin was used as a substitute for any actual athletic testing. Young will get injured at some point due to his small frame it's inevitable.

Fact is the league is certainly massaging the QB position by rule changes and working in tandem with media and teams to ensure a steady pipleine of blacks overtake the QB position.
Excellent post and comparison with AJ McCarron really helpful and striking example of the system in action!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Honestly I could live with (undeserved) 50/50 split at QB provided we got at least 25% of white running backs and receivers to get a real shot. Basically out of that steady pipeline of black QBs maybe 3-4 are any good, the rest either sink after a season or play for a few, get beaten up and lose effectiveness.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Genius decides to bench Mac Jones with less than 2 minutes left in the game, Bailey Zappe promptly throws a pick. The Genius's team is now 2-8.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Genius decides to bench Mac Jones with less than 2 minutes left in the game, Bailey Zappe promptly throws a pick. The Genius's team is now 2-8.

He's a garbage head coach, not even close to being the greatest of all time. Once Brady left the Genius was exposed.