2023 Iowa Hawkeyes

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Since 2005, Iowa has started 11, 13, 15, 15, 13, 12, 11, 12, 16, 13, 14, 14, 16, 15, 9, 14, 14 and 17 white athletes. The Hawkeyes are starting 13 in 2023.

Poor QB play combined with bad playcalling have hampered Iowa over the past few years. Very good dominant defenses were hampered by the lack of offensive production. Enter former Michigan QB Cade McNamara. He presents the best option the Hawkeyes have seen at QB since Nate Stanley graduated after the 2019 season. There is reason to be optimistic that McNamara will bring stability and solid offensive production to compliment the defense.

On defense their is a notable drop in White athletes however Cooper DeJean is one of if not the best defensive back in the country. He also is a very talented return man. Quinn Schulte is an overlooked DB but is always around the ball and has made some big hits.

An under the radar player to watch is FB Hayden Large. He is an NAIA transfer with solid production. He's 6'5 250 lbs so it will be interesting to see if he is utilized much this season as anything other than a battering ram.

The Hawkeyes have two non-White QBs on the roster as well - Poly sumo QB Deacon Hill (transferred from Wisconsin) and Marco Lainez. Disappointing!!!

Players to look out for are QB Joe Labas, TE Addison Ostrenga, FB Rusty Vanwetzinga, DT Aaron Graves, DE Max Llewellyn, DE Ethan Hurkett, LB Jaxon Rexroth,

Offense -
QB - Cade McNamara
FB - Hayden Large
WR - Nico Ragaini
TE - Luke Lachey
LT - Mason Richman
LG - Nick DeJong
C - Logan Jones
RG - Connor Colby
RT - Gennings Dunker

Defense -
DT - Logan Lee
DE - Joe Evans
S - Quinn Schulte
CB - Cooper DeJean

Last edited:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Since 2005, Iowa has started 11, 13, 15, 15, 13, 12, 11, 12, 16, 13, 14, 14, 16, 15, 9, 14, 14 and 17 white athletes. The Hawkeyes are starting 13 in 2023.

Poor QB play combined with bad playcalling have hampered Iowa over the past few years. Very good dominant defenses were hampered by the lack of offensive production. Enter former Michigan QB Cade McNamara. He presents the best option the Hawkeyes have seen at QB since Nate Stanley graduated after the 2019 season. There is reason to be optimistic that McNamara will bring stability and solid offensive production to compliment the defense.

On defense their is a notable drop in White athletes however Cooper DeJean is one of if not the best defensive back in the country. He also is a very talented return man. Quinn Schulte is an overlooked DB but is always around the ball and has made some big hits.

An under the radar player to watch is FB Hayden Large. He is an NAIA transfer with solid production. He's 6'5 250 lbs so it will be interesting to see if he is utilized much this season as anything other than a battering ram.

The Hawkeyes have two non-Whites on the roster as well - Poly sumo QB Deacon Hill (transferred from Wisconsin) and Marco Lainez. Disappointing!!!

Players to look out for are QB Joe Labas, TE Addison Ostrenga, FB Rusty Vanwetzinga, DT Aaron Graves, DE Max Llewellyn, DE Ethan Hurkett, LB Jaxon Rexroth,

Offense -
QB - Cade McNamara
FB - Hayden Large
WR - Nico Ragaini
TE - Luke Lachey
LT - Mason Richman
LG - Nick DeJong
C - Logan Jones
RG - Connor Colby
RT - Gennings Dunker

Defense -
DT - Logan Lee
DE - Joe Evans
S - Quinn Schulte
CB - Cooper DeJean
Another year of Iowa being a CF favorite! I’m really looking forward to seeing McNamara right the ship on offense.

Hard to complain about this squad but it is peculiar that they don’t have any starting linebackers to cheer for. This school usually produces a lot of top talent there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of the write-ups I was looking forward to the most. DeJean, following on the heels of third round draft pick Riley Moss, is one of the most important players in college football this season.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I’ll be attending the October 14th game against Wisconsin! Should be a joy to watch all these overachievers from both sides! Really excited to see DeJean live!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
don’t overlook the tight end, Luke Lachey. he has all the tools to be a GREAT one.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it looked like McNamara is already connecting with DeJean. our guys working together is a thing of beauty. no locker room issues when you have high quality people in the locker room.

also, what does anyone know about #22? he’s a preferred walk-on high school running quarterback-turned-running back that made a really good looking catch.

jphoss

Mentor
No white lb’s is curious it I’m assuming by the end of the year 1 or 2 will be in the lineup. If this offense can just be average they will win 10 games. Can’t wait to see Cooper lock up Marvin Harrison jr, will be a great matchup but he will more than hold his own

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
CBS Sports rates Cooper DeJean as the #30 prospect on its "Big Board" and the #4 cornerback overall.

You can't move that to safety!
i don’t know, Phall … when there are “real” affletes with names like Kool-Aid available (Kool-Aid McKinstry #10 overall, #1 cornerback), there’s always a way for the Caste System to dismiss our guys. i mean, seriously, Kool-Aid?!?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Sugar Water McKinstry. This must be the culture we hear so much about lol

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
i don’t know, Phall … when there are “real” affletes with names like Kool-Aid available (Kool-Aid McKinstry #10 overall, #1 cornerback), there’s always a way for the Caste System to dismiss our guys. i mean, seriously, Kool-Aid?!?
Probably born from a single momma that’s shaped like the Kool-Aid man.

1693433027669.jpeg

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Let’s not forget a guy named Taco went in the first round!

Phall

Master

Bucky

Hall of Famer
That is a rough break. Good news we’ll see some of what Ostrenga can do. I’m sure they’ve got another country strong TE in line we don’t know about yet !

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Horrible news about Lachey as he has NFL Talent with out a doubt. God speed on the recovery!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Joe "Cool" Labas to save the season. Spread the word!
He’s a 4 star Midwest kid. Started the bowl game last year, didn’t perform great but at this point they might as well put him in. It still irks me they didn’t go after McCall in the transfer portal.