2022 Los Angeles Rams

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
2022 LA Rams Preview

So the Rams are fresh of a Super Bowl win, with probably the Whitest team in the NFL last season. They were definitely the CF favorites and should remain so this year after watching them on the Thursday opener and glancing over the roster. Despite the blowout loss to a very good Bills team, the Rams should be contending for another Super Bowl and Cooper Kupp could challenge the NFL receiving record again.

Total White Athletes on Roster (Starters in bold)
18 or 19* Whites total, with 7 or 8* starters. Grade: C

QB - Matthew Stafford, John Wolford
WR - Cooper Kupp, Ben Skowronek
TE - Tyler Higbee
T - Rob Havenstein, Chandler Brewer
G - Matt Skura
C - Brian Allen
DL - Greg Gaines (NT), Jonah Williams, Michael Hoecht
LB - Jake Hummel, Christian Rozeboom, Jake Gervase
DB - Taylor Rapp (SS)* (half White / half Chinese)

K - Matt Gay
P - Riley Dixon
LS - Matthew Orzech

IR - Logan Bruss (G), Coleman Shelton (G), David Edwards (G)
PS - AJ Arcuri (OT), Max Pircher (OT), Brayden Thomas (OLB), Austin Trammell (WR), Zach VanValkenburg (DL)

So this might be it, the cream of the crop. 19 or 20 Whites with good depth on the PS to ensure that number stays the same or even gets better if things shake out right. I was going to initially give a C- as I feel a C should be reserved for teams getting closer to the 50% number. However, Kupp is the best receiver in football and they have so many other fun guys to follow at a wide variety of positions that it feels like a Caste-busting squad. Matt Stafford was a great QB hidden on the awful Lions franchise for over a decade. In his first year, he not only threw for nearly 5,000 yards and 41 TDs but he lead his team to a championship! Lets hope his arm injuries and age (34) don't have him declining too badly this season. WR Cooper Kupp is in a league of his own. Lead the NFL last year in catches, yards and TDs and came up just shy of Calvin Johnson's single season yardage record. After 128 yards and a score in the opener, look for him to break 1,000 yards for the 3rd time in his career and challenge the yardage record again. 4th string receiver Skowronek started in WK 1 for the injured Jefferson and gave the Rams 9 (or 10 counting Rapp) starters! He played just fine and could be a reliable tall receiver, who blocks well if given more opportunity. Only in his 2nd season he'll have time to get better. Same can be said for the 2nd year UDFA Jake Funk. Currently 4th string and out of the rotation, he's young and could move up due to injury (Williams already) and ineptitude (Akers really bad game). Beyond them, starting TE Higbee should see a good amount of targets. If he stays healthy, maybe his career best 734 yards is in target. Looking at the PS, it would be cool if Trammell got a call-up at some point too. Looking at the line, its 4/5 White but with little depth other than the PS. The sumo who replaced Whitworth looks like a liability.

On defense, they have a fair amount of guys for this day and age. However, most are just depth. NT Greg Gaines was a rotation guy for a few years but now gets his opportunity to start. He's definitely above average for the position, which is pretty much exclusively sumos with extra melanin these days. UDFA LB Jake Hummel could be one to watch. He was a WTM and overall beast in college. Former safety Jake Gervase is now a linebacker but I won't complain as he made the roster after mostly being a PS guy for years.

Edit to add 10/20/22: Skowronek has been starting all season. Funk cut. Some shakeups on the offensive line due to injuries.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Mentor
**** that.
I hear that my friend but whats he gonna do say no to being a blocking back? He’s got to make his money and stick around 4 years to get a pension.

Hopefully his role will evolve into catching a few more passes out of the backfield. If u watch the highlights Stafford missed him on what of probably would have been a 40 yard td.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm still waiting for some Jake "Play that Funky Music Whiteboy" Funk to get some playing time. Not sure if he is 3rd or 4th on the
depth chart as I haven't checked it but I would love to see him get some chances. It can only help the Rams going forward to have
more of the young guys be ready to go incase of injuries. You can never have too much depth & especially at the running back position.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I hear that my friend but whats he gonna do say no to being a blocking back? He’s got to make his money and stick around 4 years to get a pension.

Hopefully his role will evolve into catching a few more passes out of the backfield. If u watch the highlights Stafford missed him on what of probably would have been a 40 yard td.
Back of the roster guys literally have to do what the coaching staff "suggests" or it's having your team facilities pass surrendered at the door and having your release papers signed in the GM's office and you will be blackballed out of the league.

The Hock

Master

Yeah I saw that wide open and could have turned it up field for a good gain. Stafford missed that one.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Through two games Skowronek has 9 targets and 6 catches, second on the team among WRs after what's his name, while Allen Robinson has just 7 targets and 5 catches.

Robinson may or may not be over the hill. He had a terrible season last year after putting up 98/1147 in '19 and 102/1250 in '20, but his decline in numbers was blamed on The Rodent and having poor quarterbacks like Justin Fields throwing to him. If he indeed is in decline that makes Skowronek's position on the team that much more secure. I wouldn't worry about the blocking stuff yet, unless they tell him to add a lot of weight and make a permanent position change.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He’s definitely getting more touches than Juice in his new role!

This is a great weapon to have for any team. Similar so what the Saints did. Skowronek apprears to have his confidence and swagger back. Last season he had too many drops and you could tell it effected him mentally. He is past that and on his way to a very good season. Just
another great weapon to have for a team loaded with talent. Now if we can only get Jake Funk involved I would be stoked!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
RB Cam Akers has abruptly left the team.
What a shame the Rams cut Jake Funk just days ago.
He might have a had a chance to play this weekend.

white lightning

Hall of Famer

It's the worst news ever. They Rams can attone for their mistakes but signing Max Borghi.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rams can reclaim Funk off the Saints' practice squad if they want to.

When I heard about Akers "personal problem" with the team, it occurred to me that they may have cut Funk to appease Akers, to no avail. I could be way off base, but that thought certainly crossed my mind.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Rams can reclaim Funk off the Saints' practice squad if they want to.

When I heard about Akers "personal problem" with the team, it occurred to me that they may have cut Funk to appease Akers, to no avail. I could be way off base, but that thought certainly crossed my mind.

The odds of that happening are slim and especially with a white running back but we can hope. I do hear Kamara is in possible trouble
off the field I believe. Crazy world. We will see how it all pans out.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
It seems that at the moment, the Rams only have 2 RBs active for this Sunday's game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They called up a running back from their practice squad, Ronnie Rivers.

It appears whatever is bothering Akers started earlier this week as he skipped practices. So in response the Rams cut Funk and called up Rivers. Hmmm.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Akers sucks...he's a mediocre RB who of course was given preference over Funk and ended up doing nothing. Funk on the other hand never got a fair shot.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Akers sucks...he's a mediocre RB who of course was given preference over Funk and ended up doing nothing. Funk on the other hand never got a fair shot.

I'm going to report you to the Ministry of Propaganda. You must believe what we tell you. Jake Funk isn't good enough. Lmao. Sad but true.
Funk has the agility, speed and vision to make little plays into big ones. Their other running backs are average many times below average. I
really hope Jake Funk gets a chance to be called up for the Saints. He deserves a shot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rams 3-6 record is tied for the worst by a reigning Super Bowl champion after nine games. Having terrible o-line backups, almost all of them sumos, unable to cover for injured starters is a big part of the reason for the rapid decline. Their offense has gone from being great to watch to awful overnight, and of course Kupp is now out for at least four games.

Kaptain

Master
The Rams 3-6 record is tied for the worst by a reigning Super Bowl champion after nine games. Having terrible o-line backups, almost all of them sumos, unable to cover for injured starters is a big part of the reason for the rapid decline. Their offense has gone from being great to watch to awful overnight, and of course Kupp is now out for at least four games.
The narrative that the Rams won the SB because they went "all in" was always only true with the Stafford/Goff trade. Stafford and Kupp won the SB despite the other dumb trades and aquisitions the Rams made. The self promoting Jalen Ramsey may be the most over-rated defensive player ever and he cost the Rams two first rounders while giving up multiple big plays in the playoffs. OBJ was averaging about 20 yards a game in the regular season before having a couple of above average games in the playoffs doing nothing more than catching wide open passes in single coverage playing opposite of Kupp. He came at a high price in dollars. The well past his prime, Von Miller, cost the Rams a 2nd and 3rd round pick while recording an underwhelming 5 total sacks. This year the Rams failed to land the leagues best offensive weapon in his prime. Their season ended when San Fran picked him up without giving up a single first rounder. The Rams won last year because they got Stafford and had WR injuries that forced them into finally declaring Copper Kupp the team's number one receiver. One good move and dumb luck. Every other move the Rams made is typical of league bottom feeders.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The narrative that the Rams won the SB because they went "all in" was always only true with the Stafford/Goff trade. Stafford and Kupp won the SB despite the other dumb trades and aquisitions the Rams made. The self promoting Jalen Ramsey may be the most over-rated defensive player ever and he cost the Rams two first rounders while giving up multiple big plays in the playoffs. OBJ was averaging about 20 yards a game in the regular season before having a couple of above average games in the playoffs doing nothing more than catching wide open passes in single coverage playing opposite of Kupp. He came at a high price in dollars. The well past his prime, Von Miller, cost the Rams a 2nd and 3rd round pick while recording an underwhelming 5 total sacks. This year the Rams failed to land the leagues best offensive weapon in his prime. Their season ended when San Fran picked him up without giving up a single first rounder. The Rams won last year because they got Stafford and had WR injuries that forced them into finally declaring Copper Kupp the team's number one receiver. One good move and dumb luck. Every other move the Rams made is typical of league bottom feeders.
Excellent breakdown Kaptain. I can't argue with a single thing you said. If you look at most winning playoff and super bowl teams, one thing
they always have is a good to a great offensive line. It also starts up front with the big guys in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Before
they can address anything else, the Rams must fix their oline through free agency and the draft next season. If not Stafford will be headed
to an early retirement and they can forget about any running game to open up the passing game more down the road.

Warhawk_46

Master
So I see the Rams waived Henderson… gee, if only they had a great, hard-running, supremely athletic backup on their roster.

Oh, that’s right… he was white and not worthy of a look.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
So I see the Rams waived Henderson… gee, if only they had a great, hard-running, supremely athletic backup on their roster.

Oh, that’s right… he was white and not worthy of a look.
Don't forget the malcontent Akers was welcome back with open arms after leaving the team.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
With Aaron Donald injured for the first time in his career, the Rams used Michael Hoecht in his place the past two games, and Hoecht's stats were comparable to or better than what Donald has averaged this season. In Week 12 Hoecht had 6 tackles, 2 solo and 4 assisted. In Week 13 he put up monster stats for a defensive tackle: 3 solo tackles, 1 assist, 1 forced fumble and 2 sacks. Before Week 12 he had hardly played at all.

Not saying Hoecht is better than Donald, who is routinely double teamed and is a genuinely great player and disruptive force, but Hoecht, an undrafted free agent out of Brown, doing so well illustrates vividly yet again how much untapped White potential there is in the way of athletes that never get a chance to make the NFL or are wasted if they do make a roster. And there's a helluva lot more who are ignored out of high school, and not all of them come from well to do families and they need a scholarship to go to college.