2022 Iowa Hawkeyes

Phall

Master
Cade McNamara transfers to Iowa! Big step up for the Hawkeyes, now they just need to create an offense for him (for anybody).

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Nice to see Iowa get a quality QB! Petras as certainly part of the problem (as was Padilla) but I agree with @Phall on getting a sound offensive scheme in place. Good news is that Iowa should return their whole O-Line and have a good TE in Luke Lachey. Hopefully Ragaini returns for his extra season.

Phall

Master
Both of Iowa's "top" two WR's are transferring out. I think they announced after the Cade McNamara commitment, so good riddance.

Could Iowa find a new reliable source from an unlikely place?

Phall

Master
Interesting interview with new QB Cade McNamara. He talks about the transfer process, paying college players, and some specific experiences he had at Michigan versus stories he's heard from elsewhere.

Not sure if this is important but 2nd string cb ( because of injury to black Terry Roberts ) has been moved to wr for the bowl game. Whose taking his place ? True freshman Carter Erickson who only has special team reps. TJ Hall ( black ) will be starting next season with Cooper D but I could see Erickson, Heinze , Beckett DeJean ( if he signs ) and Nestor coming in to fill the other 2 deep corner spot. A possible 5 white corners now. I am so psyched for next season. With Cade McNamara coming in t qb and possibly Carson Steele coming in Ill be as happy watching my NY Rangers, Matt Boling and my hated ( here that is ) Saint Johns bball while rooting for San Fran to get into the Super Bowl.

In more possible whit corner news as he just signed yesterday , yes a scholarship, burner Teegan Davis has decommited from eastern Illinois and is being recruited at both safety and corner. He's 6 2 and 180 pounds so he's got DeJean length and I watched a few of his highlights and he really can accelerate.
Possibly Nestor, Heinz, 2 DeJeans, and Erickson playing corner at Iowa. Just crazy. BTW it would be crazy for C. Steele to go to Ucla as Charbonnet will be ahead of him. No doubt.

Jack Campbell was also named the Big Ten Defensive player of the year. John Torchio of Wisconsin was a second team choice at DB by the coaches and first team by the media.
Upon further review Teegan Davis is only a 11.7 100 meter runner but is a 6'8" high jumper. Not sure he's going to be straight line running with big ten relievers but high jump is insane. 6 possible corners Crazy.

Iowa starting strong safety Kaevon Merriweather has opted out of the music city bowl. There backup is 8n the transfer portal so there is some talk 9f mov8ng DeJean or Castro over to safety. GONNA BE WEIRD

It lookk1s like Incoming 2023 frosh John Nestor and Teegan Davis are wanted at corner and athlete Zack Lutmer at safety but athlete Aidan Hall is not being looked at as a safety but as a lb.

Looking at NFL 2024 draft predictions on Coper DeJean. One site had him as a strong safety and the other at corner but no better than a 4th round pick. No caste speak other he is " grabbing " downfield and he is prone to being faked on the double move. Name me one NFL corner that does not clutch and grab on every play. Basically all the negatives said about him could be said about every corner that ever played professionally.

Phall

Master
Are we living in Hell?

Kirk Ferentz anticipates no changes in staff, applauds Brian Ferentz's performance

It’s time to give up the wishful thinking and face reality Iowa fans, Brian Ferentz will once again be the offensive coordinator next year.

Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz shared as much in his National Signing Day press conference.

“Coaching staff update. Just talk about that lastly. As I stand here today, I anticipate no changes in our staff moving forward. That’s my plan. Certainly, I think we do have a terrific staff, and I thought they did a terrific job last year in tough circumstances and navigated us through I think some big challenges. I thought our guys really coached at a high level,” Kirk Ferentz said.

One of the biggest areas of hopeful speculation among the fanbase this offseason has centered around the offensive coordinator position. Many have called for a new offensive mind to be given the reigns, finding every clue possible to suggest a change is coming for the upcoming season.

Instead, Ferentz was answering questions about why he would retain an offensive coordinator that just fielded the nation’s 130th total offense and the country’s 123rd scoring offense.

“Well, first of all, I didn’t say the same scheme, but it’s not going to look radically different. I don’t predict anything wild or absurd there. I think we’ve been pretty consistent in our approach really for 24 years. We own it. We own the stats.

“The thing I’m most focused on would be the points because that is what points. Obviously, everything you do offensively goes into that. When I look back, we’ve had years like this, and it’s not much fun certainly, to win eight games, that’s no easy trick when you score 17.8 a game. That’s not easy. But I’m optimistic. I think I know the causes, as I covered, for our challenges this year, and we’ve taken steps already in terms of addressing it,” Ferentz said.

Ferentz maintains that while the numbers on offense weren’t ideal, this is not the time to panic. Referencing his time with former Iowa head coach Hayden Fry and the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ history, he said that’s one common thread between the two: they didn’t panic.

“If you look back 24 years we’ve had down periods, years that have been disappointing. We normally rally back. We normally rally back and fix it, and that’s always kind of been my attitude. We’re all products of our upbringing, I guess, or influences, and I worked for a guy for nine years who there was never a coordinator fired here during my nine years with Coach Fry, and I don’t think the next 11, or two and eight I guess it would be, I’m not planning on doing it. I haven’t done it.

“I grew up in Pittsburgh where they had pretty good success. The thing you learn from the Steelers is they fix things. They don’t panic, they fix things. As long as you got the right people. It’s like players, too. Good attitude, good work ethic, and you’ve got to be competent to do what you’re going to do. I have no reason to think there’s anybody on our staff that’s not competent or not working at it,” Ferentz said.

While Iowa fans should not expect monumental changes heading into the upcoming season, Ferentz and his staff will be working diligently to tweak the Iowa model and compete for their ultimate end goal of a championship.

I can kind of admire Kirk Ferentz' obstinacy here. He is the highest-paid public employee in the state of Iowa by far, he has way more pull than the university president, and he has an ironclad contract that would set the football program backwards in terms of budget if they got rid of him a few years earlier than he wants to go. No one can tell him to do anything.

Kirk is sort of like a tranny in the female locker room: strutting around nude, showing all his female teammates his "female penis" after practice. What are you gonna do about it? Complain? You would get cancelled faster than if you faced Doc Holliday at a noon showdown at the OK Corral on Sober Thursday. You just have to sit there and acknowledge it.

Kirk Ferentz is "bullet-proof" at this point after surviving a racism hoax scandal where some of his filthy ghetto black former players accused "the program" of disliking their dreadlocks and having suggested to them that they not walk around wearing hooded sweatshirts. He had to fire his strength&conditioning coach a few years ago for allegedly singing along to a rap song during workouts. "Ku Klux Kirk" will not be tethered to that hiccup, though. He does whatever he wants.

Aspire to love your child the way Kirk Ferentz loves his son Brian. Caligula appointed his horse to the Senate and forced everyone else to smile and nod when it clopped its hooves two times instead of one. Could Brian Ferentz learn from this? He might develop a new offensive scheme based on the whimsy of a horse, since it would be a marked improvement for his unit. But, I don't expect him to change one bit.

jphoss

Mentor
Are we living in Hell?

Kirk Ferentz anticipates no changes in staff, applauds Brian Ferentz's performance

I can kind of admire Kirk Ferentz' obstinacy here. He is the highest-paid public employee in the state of Iowa by far, he has way more pull than the university president, and he has an ironclad contract that would set the football program backwards in terms of budget if they got rid of him a few years earlier than he wants to go. No one can tell him to do anything.

Kirk is sort of like a tranny in the female locker room: strutting around nude, showing all his female teammates his "female penis" after practice. What are you gonna do about it? Complain? You would get cancelled faster than if you faced Doc Holliday at a noon showdown at the OK Corral on Sober Thursday. You just have to sit there and acknowledge it.

Kirk Ferentz is "bullet-proof" at this point after surviving a racism hoax scandal where some of his filthy ghetto black former players accused "the program" of disliking their dreadlocks and having suggested to them that they not walk around wearing hooded sweatshirts. He had to fire his strength&conditioning coach a few years ago for allegedly singing along to a rap song during workouts. "Ku Klux Kirk" will not be tethered to that hiccup, though. He does whatever he wants.

Aspire to love your child the way Kirk Ferentz loves his son Brian. Caligula appointed his horse to the Senate and forced everyone else to smile and nod when it clopped its hooves two times instead of one. Could Brian Ferentz learn from this? He might develop a new offensive scheme based on the whimsy of a horse, since it would be a marked improvement for his unit. But, I don't expect him to change one bit.
This is a disaster! Iowa has a championship defense and enough talent on offense to support their defense if coached properly. This will also hurt their defensive players when it comes to getting drafted since they’ll underachieve as a team in the WL column

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yeah sometimes you have to separate your love for family from your career. The offense has been one of the worst offenses in the ncaa.
Maybe they could get him hypnotized to learn the art of offensive football. Short of that I'm not very optomistic. Hope were all wrong here.

Phall

Master
I don't enjoy beating this dead horse, but it seems worth a remark. The details of the new Brian Ferentz contract have been released.
FoUIFKyXoAA5YBy

The $850,000 base salary is a decrease of $50k from his 2022 figure.

As for the Designated Performance Objectives: 85 D1 teams averaged 25 ppg, and 82 went to bowl games. Iowa will be rewarding Brian Ferentz unspecified "incentives" for being less than average.

Last year, Iowa averaged 17.7 ppg and ranked 131 of 132 with just 251 yards/game. Without defensive scoring (six touchdowns and four safeties - yes, the offense got to count the extra points), the Hawkeyes offense averaged just 14.15 ppg.

The most hopeful of Iowa fans seem to think that this is the athletic department's way of justifying an OC replacement in 2024, putting a wedge between Kirk Ferentz' discretion and his staff's performance. It's not exactly a hot take to say that any other coach would have made this change two years ago.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
lol finish top 2 thirds and offense and it’ll be okay Brian.. Again connections are everything.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A white rb and a white “ath” Love it! Now if they can just get a 21st century offense they’d be title contenders

Yes Sir! Iowa is always so much fun to watch. Especially on defense but hoping the offense is trending a little more our way in the future.