2022 Iowa Hawkeyes

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Since 2005, Iowa has started 11, 13, 15, 15, 13, 12, 11, 12, 16, 13, 14, 14, 16, 15, 9, 14 and 14 white athletes. The Hawkeyes are starting 17 in 2022.

Players to look out for are FB Turner Pallissard, WR Brody Brecht, DE Ethan Hurkett, DT Lukas Van Ness, DT Louie Stec, LB/S/CB Cooper Dejean (quickly emerging as one of the best players in the conference). All o-line on the two deep are White athletes. WR Nico Ragaini still appears to be injured. Riley Moss is listed as kick off returner. Quinn Schulte has set the tone - very physical, hard hitting and talented safety.

Offense -
QB - Spencer Petras
FB - Monte Pottebaum
WR - Alec Wick
TE - Sam Laporta
LT - Mason Richman
LG - Nick DeJong
C - Logan Jones
RG - Connor Colby
RT - Jack Plumb

Defense -
DE - John Waggoner
DT - Logan Lee
DE - Joe Evans
LB - Logan Klemp
LB - Jack Campbell
LB - Seth Benson
S - Quinn Schulte
CB - Riley Moss

Cooper Dejean is very similar to the great CB Jason Sehorn. At 6-2/210 he is king size corner who is also a phenomenal athlete. He is a great basketball player and awesome dunker, runs a 10.60 100m and has over 7.20 m Long Jump and is super strong.
He also is a great high school quarterback who understands the position.
All this makes him a first round NFL draft pick at corner, in a fair world of course.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
17 huh? That must have went up from the initial preview and certainly should be the high water mark this year.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
If anyone is on social media I would start getting involved in getting Dejean in the conversation for the Thorpe award. He is the best defensive back in the country.

Can’t say enough good things about the Iowa defense. They face Michigan this week and Ohio state in 3 weeks. If Iowa shows well in these two games with their 3/4 White athlete secondary it would be a good time to push the question as to why White athletes are so discriminated against at the defensive back position.

Iowa’s offense still has no identity. The running game is just ok and passing game is below average despite having some solid offensive weapons. Hopefully they can continue to make steps in the right direction.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Schulte, Moss, and DeJean are some bad mofos!

Looking forward to their performances against big time opponents in the coming weeks!

Now if that offense would wake the hell up!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Schulte, Moss, and DeJean are some bad mofos!

Looking forward to their performances against big time opponents in the coming weeks!

Now if that offense would wake the hell up!
The best defense in the country! Moss is a lockdown CB, DeJean is a ball hawk and Schulte is an enforcer - he has made some great hits!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The best defense in the country! Moss is a lockdown CB, DeJean is a ball hawk and Schulte is an enforcer - he has made some great hits!
Right. Really enjoyed watching the Iowa defense. I thought Lukas Van Ness played an outstanding game on the DL as well as RF Aaron Graves.
On the offense, TE Sam Laporta 4 receptions, 77 yards on a not so good offensive team. Laporta will be in the NFL....and watch out for SOPH
TE 6'6 251lb. Luke Lachey in the next couple of years if Iowa ever gets a QB?

TwentyTwo

Master
Agreed y'all! Good Stuff!@ possibly my favorite College Secondary of All Time! Too bad the offense is so stuck in the mud WR Charlie Jones had to bolt of Purdue where he was the Nations 2nd Leading Receiver headed into Week #4

Wouldn't totally surprise me if this dude Cooper DeJean is an NFL All Pro one day! Big time athlete at 6'-1" 209! And when Riley Moss does go to the NFL they will not be able to give him the Dustin Fox treatment! The rebirth of the white Cornerback!
And Free Safety Quinn Schulte played like a heat seeking missile when i watched em play in the Opener!

Here's DeJean's pick Six from ground level

Here is George Kittle 49ers from Tight End U.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan,

DeJean is a phenomenal playmaker, but he may not even be the best defensive back on the Whitehawks ... i mean, there’s a reason opposing quarterbacks keep throwing his way: it’s because Riley Moss is blanketing his receiver like white on rice.

Moss is strong in run support, has a nose for the football, and possesses an impressive ability to play the ball in the air. his only liability is perhaps he’s too aggressive trying to make the big play/interception and can (occasionally) be beat on a double move, but i have no problem with that aggressive mindset. if anyone beats Moss for a completion, they earned it.

Schulte is also a stellar performer. his timing to break up passes is uncanny, and he hits HARD. you don’t see too many guys with his range, physicality, and instincts any more.

and the rest of the defense has lots of bigtime athletes, as well. Campbell is in the argument for best linebacker in the country, and his cohorts (Belton and Evans) aren’t far behind.

on the defensive line, Van Ness (aka Thor) is a future all-American. defensive end Joe Evans is underrated but overly good.

and how come no one is talking about the punter?!? Tory Taylor might be the best in the nation.

all in all, they’re obviously my favorite team to cheer for, even with the underperforming offense.

wile

Master
They look medieval on D that is for sure. But when the punter comes on the field to applause that O needs to be jacked up somehow.

Phall

Master
Nico Ragaini, Alec Wick, and Brody Brecht have played 223 snaps combined this season and have *4* receptions combined. Petras really needs to shape up or ship out. On the other hand, Sam LaPorta looks like Iowa's next great TE with an NFL future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nico Ragaini, Alec Wick, and Brody Brecht have played 223 snaps combined this season and have *4* receptions combined. Petras really needs to shape up or ship out. On the other hand, Sam LaPorta looks like Iowa's next great TE with an NFL future.

This is so unacceptable. What could be the reason? The Coach, Off. Coordinator, Quarterback, etc, etc? It's been said countless times
if Iowa ever got a potent office they could win national championships. Yet year after year they put the same crappy offensive schemes
in place. It's almost as if they are told to in order to make up for having too many whites. I know that may sound crazy but we can see
everything in the world is anti white. So when a handful of teams try to buck the trend in the ncaa or nfl they tend to be put back into
place quickly. Also the referees go out of their way to penalize these teams that are deemed too white. Despite all of this the Iowa
Hawkeyes still find a way to win alot of games despite struggling to score points.

Phall

Master
This is so unacceptable. What could be the reason? The Coach, Off. Coordinator, Quarterback, etc, etc? It's been said countless times
if Iowa ever got a potent office they could win national championships. Yet year after year they put the same crappy offensive schemes
in place. It's almost as if they are told to in order to make up for having too many whites. I know that may sound crazy but we can see
everything in the world is anti white. So when a handful of teams try to buck the trend in the ncaa or nfl they tend to be put back into
place quickly. Also the referees go out of their way to penalize these teams that are deemed too white. Despite all of this the Iowa
Hawkeyes still find a way to win alot of games despite struggling to score points.

LaPorta has 16 receptions on the year, and Petras' "primary read" receiver Arland Bruce IV is at 10 receptions. Maybe this isn't shocking when you see that Spencer Petras has 37 completions out of 77 attempts after four games with one touchdown and two interceptions. The opponents were Rutgers, Iowa State, San Diego State, and Nevada. I think that Rutgers and Iowa State games included some severe rain, to temper this just a bit.

If you're only going to connect with your 3rd or 4th receiving option 4/223 of the time, why even trot them out there? Iowa does involve Pottebaum a lot as a fullback / H-back. But, if your quarterback can't recognize your 2nd and 3rd WR's, why would a defense bother to cover them?!?!

There was big drama at Boise State last week as that team fired its OC and subsequently saw their starting QB, former stud Hank Bachmeier, enter the transfer portal with ~2 years eligibility. Michigan's Cade McNamara will probably be seeking a new home and has already excelled in a "game manager" role. I just wrote about the Patriots' Bailey Zappe tonight, who spent four years at Houston Baptist before lighting up the skies at Western Kentucky (a moderate step up, though admittedly not definitive). There will be options for improvement.

I don't know much about redshirt freshman Joey Labas or true freshman Carson May. They would seem to be the proverbial "next man up" in place of the current tenured guy. It doesn't seem inevitable that they would fly the coop if a better, more senior transfer was lassoed in front of them next season. Current backup Alex Padilla split some time with Petras last year but hasn't been considered as relief in the initial season's slop. Ferentz is an old-timer, both in age and tenure. He needs to work the portal as even fellow geezers like Jim Harbaugh have inched toward.

El Gringo

Mentor
They have to get Dejean involved on offense as well! He was a QB in highschool.

Phall

Master
The Michigan fan community includes a team of nerds that have created a very thorough sports blog. I was excited for the Iowa defense preview ahead of their matchup tomorrow. There are a lot of commercial-free individual player highlights included at the link.

Fee Fi Foe Film: Iowa Defense 2022

2022%2005%20Iowa%20Defense_0.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the offense laid an egg against Michigan, and the defense couldn’t force a turnover to gain an extra possession. the result was a lopsided scoreboard despite a strong defensive effort.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
just to put Iowa’s defensive excellence in some perspective ... this from an Iowa football forum regarding the Hawkeyes loss to #4 Michigan:

The defense did what the defense does. Bend but don't break. 2 TD's and 2 FG's. 20 points against the 4th ranked team (other than the garbage TD when we would we would've normally punted from our own 28). They gave up 91 yards in the 2nd half. They gave up 1 play over 20 yards.

The amazing thing is that they did this against an OL that was working our DL over in the run and pass. They had to send extra guys and leave our DB's to cover more ground in zone and hold their coverage in man. Despite all of this, they held the #2 scoring offense in the nation to 20 points--30 below their average. 99 passing yards below their average and 62 rushing yards below their average.
(emphasis added)

ximasa

Guru
DeJean is the most Harrison Smith like player after I found this forum years ago, he's from another level compares to other
Iowa good players.

Iowa is tight end U, hope these TEs can get drafted by their rich history of developing elites, not by those 'mediocre' stats.
PETRAS is so awful, who can catch his better passes are all super underrated in my opinion, ex. Charlie Jones.

Phall

Master
Iowa has failed to score an offensive touchdown in 4 of its 7 games played so far this season. Yesterday's 54-10 blowout loss to Ohio State would have been worse if the defense hadn't put points on the board.

Here's a screeching editorial from elsewhere in Big Ten country.

Kirk Ferentz is failing Iowa’s fans, and his son Brian Ferentz should be fired: Doug Lesmerises

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Iowa changed quarterbacks Saturday, maybe because the starter is named Spencer Petras and not Spencer Ferentz. Unfortunately for Iowa fans and every player on the Iowa football team working hard in practice, the change that needs to be made at offensive coordinator won’t even be considered until this dismal Iowa football season is done.

And then, given the power Kirk Ferentz wields in Iowa City and the family ties that led him to install his son Brian as the offensive coordinator in the first place in 2017, there’s no guarantee the necessary change will be made then.

Offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, the oldest of Kirk’s five children, should be fired. Now.

But it won’t happen now because across 24 seasons Kirk Ferentz has built up walls of power in Iowa City while winning 181 games as easily the longest-tenured coach in major college football. He’s now crawled inside of a cave of nepotism and sealed the entrance with a $42 million buyout that makes it incredibly difficult for Iowa to fire the 67-year-old head coach.

This writer eventually rambles on long enough that he loses my emotional allegiance. But, the point still stands that Brian Ferentz sucks at his job. Three offensive coordinators (and five head coaches) have already been fired this season.

It's also fair to argue that Kirk Ferentz does a disservice to white athletes, and by extension, the entire white race, by squandering so much white talent with miserable results. (that may be extreme... but you could argue it)

I have a cynical, reductionist outlook about regime changes that teams can either get more black, more white, or hold the status quo. It is very rare and perhaps difficult logistically in the current year for any team to get whiter. In Iowa's case, they actually can't get much whiter, so there is only one way to go. Kirk Ferentz has already weathered some BS "racism" allegations where he had to fire his longtime strength & conditioning coach in 2020 for the cardinal sin of humming along the rap lyrics of songs the blacks played in his weight room. If the university's administration steps in, I expect them to overcompensate for this. We're in an unusual situation of rooting for a floundering head coach to reform from within rather than getting himself fired.

I don't think its been discussed but Iowa has another white corner on the two deep giving the 3 whities right now. Jamison Heinze is a ex-walk on rb moved to cb who is now on scholarship. Iowa has two white safeties coming in next year and white corner John Nestor who looks VERY good on tape. What most people here probably don't know is Cooper DeJean has a younger brother named Beckett who was offered to play corner as a PWO. The kid runs a 11.1 100 meters , can dunk for only being 6'1" and is a hell of a basketball player who through 3 playoff games last year he averaged 9.5 steals in those three games so hes got great instincts. He is normally a Qb and has some D 3 scholarship offers but I hope he shows up at Iowa next year giving the possibility of 4 white corners in the 2 deep. Plus a possible 3 safeties as well. Not gonna happen but clearly K. Ferentz has an affinity for these guys. Four white corners. Who would have thunk it? :)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't think its been discussed but Iowa has another white corner on the two deep giving the 3 whities right now. Jamison Heinze is a ex-walk on rb moved to cb who is now on scholarship. Iowa has two white safeties coming in next year and white corner John Nestor who looks VERY good on tape. What most people here probably don't know is Cooper DeJean has a younger brother named Beckett who was offered to play corner as a PWO. The kid runs a 11.1 100 meters , can dunk for only being 6'1" and is a hell of a basketball player who through 3 playoff games last year he averaged 9.5 steals in those three games so hes got great instincts. He is normally a Qb and has some D 3 scholarship offers but I hope he shows up at Iowa next year giving the possibility of 4 white corners in the 2 deep. Plus a possible 3 safeties as well. Not gonna happen but clearly K. Ferentz has an affinity for these guys. Four white corners. Who would have thunk it? :)
A white Dline is rare enough but an all white secondary is unheard of. Great post. I had no idea about any of these other players. We have
said it far too many times. When is Iowa going to build an offense to not waste the talent of these elite defensive guys. It's a crime and
a travesty. Year after year they can't put the ball in the end zone. Maybe they need an offensive coodinator that thinks outside the box. A
offensive mastermind. Someone that a younger version of Mike Leach. One thing is for sure, Iowa will be the team to watch if their
offense catches up to the defense. Let's Go Hawkeyes!

jphoss

Mentor
If I were the Iowa AD I would tell Kirk we’re hiring TCU’s OC this offseason and if he wants to give his son some bs job like tight ends coach so be it but Iowa with an offense would win the big ten and imagine how inspiring for future white players with potential to play cb or safety seeing Iowa shut down and beat osu for the big 10 title. Ahhh a guy can dream

Phall

Master
If I were the Iowa AD I would tell Kirk we’re hiring TCU’s OC this offseason and if he wants to give his son some bs job like tight ends coach so be it but Iowa with an offense would win the big ten and imagine how inspiring for future white players with potential to play cb or safety seeing Iowa shut down and beat osu for the big 10 title. Ahhh a guy can dream

If there is a possible step down for Brian Ferentz, it is into an administerial job above the staff as a caretaker of some sorts. There are plenty of ways for Iowa Football to pay Brian for work he can't f__k up any worse than their offense.

Kirk Ferentz really wanted his son to inherit hit team and keep his legacy going forever. It's a fine ideal! No one has ever done it before. I won't bother listing off the accomplished coaches before him who didn't quite get there. (Did "Jimbo" Fisher win one after Bobo Fisher, or whatever? maybe that disproves the rule!)

Oddly enough, Kirk Ferentz was a hot name for Michigan after Lloyd Carr bowed out in disgrace. I've heard rumblings that Lloyd wanted Kirk. (Also have heard rumblings that Gary Moeller got his DUI after learning that Les Miles banged his wife, but that is another story).

It is Halloween night... maybe there are some Ferentz curses that need to lay to rest

Stlouis

Jack Campbell was named as the Big Ten linebacker of the year; the first Hawkeye to be so honored since Josey Jewell in 2017. Riley Moss was named to the first team All Big Ten by the coaches and 2nd team by the media; Cooper DeJean was just the opposite as he was first team by the media and 2nd team by the coaches. Sam LaPorta was first team by both the media and the coaches.

Stlouis

Jack Campbell was named as the Big Ten linebacker of the year; the first Hawkeye to be so honored since Josey Jewell in 2017. Riley Moss was named to the first team All Big Ten by the coaches and 2nd team by the media; Cooper DeJean was just the opposite as he was first team by the media and 2nd team by the coaches. Sam LaPorta was first team by both the media and the coaches.
Jack Campbell was also named the Big Ten Defensive player of the year. John Torchio of Wisconsin was a second team choice at DB by the coaches and first team by the media.