2022 Clemson Tigers

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Since 2006 Clemson has started 7, 5, 5, 5, 2, 4, 3, 5, 5, 3, 6, 6, 8, 7, and 9. In 2022 they look to be at just 6.

Despite the low number of white starters, Clemson will still be a must watch with Will Shipley the starter at RB. Look for him to continue to improve on his fabulous freshman season: 739 yds./149 att./5.0 ypa. and 11 TD. Despite missing basically 4 games.
It looks as though WR/SL Brannon Spector has secured the starting position. Earlier in spring camp it wasn't a guarantee, but it looks solid now. TE Davis Allen, RT Walker Parks, and OC Will Putnam complete the offensive starters. Last year's starter at OC Mason Trotter is listed as injured, so if he returns it could mean another starter on offense as Will Putman could move to RG.
FR QB Cade Klubnik has pushed current starter Uiagalelei hard during the spring and look for him to become the eventual starter if DJ blinks or is inconsistent.

On Defense after losing Turner, Spector, and Skalski only junior Bryan Breese will be starting. Hopefully, he's fully recovered from the knee injury.

Players to watch: QB Cade Klubnik, WR Troy Stellato, WR/SL Will Taylor, MLB Keith McGuire, and SAM Tyler Venables.

OFFENSE
RB Will Shipley (SO)
WR/SL Brannon Spector RS (JR)
TE Davis Allen (SR)
OC Will Putnam (SR)
RT Walker Parks (JR)

DEFENSE
DT Bryan Breese RS (SO)

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I hope Klubnik takes over at some point during the season. He was the better QB during spring and my guess is he is playing better now to.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I hope Klubnik takes over at some point during the season. He was the better QB during spring and my guess is he is playing better now to.

Agreed. If Klubnik can take over for Ooogabooga, that'd be ideal.

At least Clemson has some honkeys on their Defensive 2 deep. We all know Breeze has 1st Rd potential on that DL. I'm thinking he'll have one helluva year.

Phall

Master
Dabo is replacing both of his coordinators with internal promotions.

Clemson's 2023 recruiting class has just three whites out of 19 scholarships (a 5-star quarterback and two offensive linemen). The incoming 2022 class had 7 out of 20 white athletes, (a 5-star quarterback in Klubnick, two offensive linemen, a safety, a wide receiver, and a kicker and punter... plus backup QB Hunter Johnson, a transfer from Northwestern). The 2021 class had 7 white athletes out of 18 (including a running back, defensive end, tight end, and two wide receivers). The 2020 class had 6 whites out of 23, and the 2019 class had 9 whites out of 29.

Next year's class is poor in terms of traditional Clemson recruiting ratios. I wonder if the new staff alignment played a role in this, whether there was much attrition with previous recruiting targets, or if the 2023 haul is just an outlier.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Dabo is replacing both of his coordinators with internal promotions.

Clemson's 2023 recruiting class has just three whites out of 19 scholarships (a 5-star quarterback and two offensive linemen). The incoming 2022 class had 7 out of 20 white athletes, (a 5-star quarterback in Klubnick, two offensive linemen, a safety, a wide receiver, and a kicker and punter... plus backup QB Hunter Johnson, a transfer from Northwestern). The 2021 class had 7 white athletes out of 18 (including a running back, defensive end, tight end, and two wide receivers). The 2020 class had 6 whites out of 23, and the 2019 class had 9 whites out of 29.

Next year's class is poor in terms of traditional Clemson recruiting ratios. I wonder if the new staff alignment played a role in this, whether there was much attrition with previous recruiting targets, or if the 2023 haul is just an outlier.

I sure hope not. We have so few white friendly teams in college. Clemson has won National Championships and they have done it with many of our guys playing. Even Wisconsin, Iowa and Standford have not had the success at the highest level that
Clemson has. I think Dabo is the best coach in all of college football. At the minimum he is in the top 3. Stick with what got you there. The same way the Patriots dominated in the NFL until they quit playing most white guys the last few years.

icsept

Master
It might become readily apparent that Brent Venables was responsible for the unusually White defenses. As long as he takes that to Oklahoma, then it’s not a loss.

icsept

Master
Uagaleilei looking terrible again with two fumbles and no production in the first quarter.

jacque

Guru
Holy ****, DJ Oogabadoogie is hilariously bad. Will Shipley TD after DJ failed to gain a yard on a goal line QB run.

northwinds

Mentor
DJ Ugabooga has 6 carry’s for 2 yards……..he’s horrible……the Clemson fans will be calling for him to be benched

Rocky B

Master
Shipley with three carries in the first half.....Splitting carries.....way to go Sweeney.....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shipley with three carries in the first half.....Splitting carries.....way to go Sweeney.....

Yeah but we have the All World Greatest QB ever DJ at the wheel. What could be more exciting? Lmao. Nothing suprises me in this
crazy world anymore. Number 1 rated rb recuit out of high school 2 years ago and they find ways to not get him the ball.

Hope with a good lead he gets alot of action in the 2nd half. It's insulting how little he was used and the game could be closer but
Clemson get a fumble recovery inside the red zone and also had a 4th down conversion for a td. So they just ignore Shipley. I am
with you on the frustration level Rocky B!

TwentyTwo

Master
Crowd was booing Ugalelei much of the first half. The blocked punt returned to the 5 yard line helped with 1st TD

Crowd cheering Cade Klubnik finally in the game. Announcers comparing to DeShaun Watson. Texas HS Gatorade Player of the Year in 21
Nice throw to Will Taylor! TD Now to coaches son Swinney !!

Much smoother QB . Makes it look easy. Would not surprise me to see him start by mid season. Just used the Trevor Lawrence/ Kelly Bryant situation....

Will Shipley finished 10 carries 42 yards & 2 TD's + 1 rec 14 yards receiving

D-Tackle Brian Bresee very agile for his size! Getting JJ watt comparisons earlier.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Crowd was booing Ugalelei much of the first half. The blocked punt returned to the 5 yard line helped with 1st TD

Crowd cheering Cade Klubnik finally in the game. Announcers comparing to DeShaun Watson. Texas HS Gatorade Player of the Year in 21
Nice throw to Will Taylor! TD Now to coaches son Swinney !!

Much smoother QB . Makes it look easy. Would not surprise me to see him start by mid season. Just used the Trevor Lawrence/ Kelly Bryant situation....

Will Shipley finished 10 carries 42 yards & 2 TD's + 1 rec 14 yards receiving

D-Tackle Brian Bresee very agile for his size! Getting JJ watt comparisons earlier.

Let's hope that Klubnik gets more time as the season progresses. I missed the game so can't attest to Uiagalelei's performance but I don't think Klubnik taking over at some point during the season is out of the question.

icsept

Master
Shipley shared carries with a couple of backs. He appears to be the number one option, but they’re probably trying to keep him fresh and healthy. I expect him to be the workhorse in big games.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Freshman LB Wade Woodazz may be a name to remember. Woodazz has moved up the second string and blocked a punt against Georgia Tech. He along with LB Keith McGuire and SAM Tyler Venables who have seen considerable early playing time, hopefully will get some more reps as the season moves forward.
BTW, the scouting report described Woodazz with the rare compliments of a white player of LENGTH and SPEED. I get having good speed, but I never understood the length part. Do they mean height, length of arms, fingers, D!@#. what? What does length have to do with playing football. You can have all the length you want, but if you can't tackle, attack the angles, and or get into position, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update. Hoping Klubnik starts sooner rather than later. Swinmey seems to be handling Uiagaleli with kid gloves and continues to talk him up.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update. Hoping Klubnik starts sooner rather than later. Swinmey seems to be handling Uiagaleli with kid gloves and continues to talk him up.
You're welcome. Unfortunately, Clemson's strength of schedule is mild. The ACC outside of Clemson is not that tough unless I'm pleasantly surprised. You have number 19 Wake Forest, whom I like, but not exactly Georgia. Also, NC State at number 16 and then there's 13 Miami. Notre Dame has dropped out of the top 25. Uiagaleli, I believe will really have to screw up against teams not even in the top 10 to lose his position, I'm afraid. We'll see?