2020 Track Season Results & News

greyghost

Mentor
Best of luck to all the Aussie sprinters ....but .....if and when someone is to break 10 ....they have to spend time training with sprinters who are faster than them and train in Europe or the states ....,I doubt hale will break 10 .... browning if he is sponsored and allowed to do one full 60 meter indoor season followed by a summer on the euro tour ....then possibly ...,.its like the Germans ....they have to get out of their own comfort zones in their own countries ....and indeed hook up with fully professional coaching ..,,...note also any German commentary ( outside of ex East German athletes ) is hopeless ...as the track and field culture in Germany is quite weak ..( it’s all about participation at grass roots , ie no real development ) .......and has deteriorated over quite some time ....Tobias unger was the last real German sprinter with some grit ...and said it as it was .....and that was the 00s .....the Germans in general ( outside of football / soccer ) are generally nervous of the black athlete ....and lack real confidence and indeed real expertise ....last time they took foreign expertise was Frankie fredericks for their 100 m relay squad ( and were relatively successful ) but they discontinued after one year .....

greyghost

Mentor
Interesting to see someone like van gool compete against anybody ( with no self doubt) and improve ....he is still with shippers training group .....which includes churamdy Martina ( on occasions) ....also van gool doesn’t lift heavy at all ..working off talent and plyometrics ....so his upside is big .....clever coaching with a specific understanding for the particular athlete in question ....just as well he is Dutch and not German ...

greyghost

Mentor
van gool ....along with boling will break 10 legally within the next 2 seasons .....note I doubt hale has the phsysicality to break 10 ....I see him honestly having 400 m potential ( ie look at van nierkirk ) ...I reckon some specific 400 meter training ( if he can tolerate it ) would really benefit young hale ....and the see where the chips lie .......browning is a different athlete and has already run 10.08 ....so with him , it’s about tweaking and staying healthy( and running competitive 60s) ..............

And ......10,1s ... believe me , is a long way off 9.9s in track terms ........

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Stockholm (Sweden), 11.2.2020 -Folksam Grand Prix-
Indoor
Men
60m 1 Aleksa Kijanovic (srb) 6.67; 2 Sam Gordon (gbr) 6.67; 3 Henrik Larsson 6.68

mastermulti

Master
It was a rain and very wet conditions in Australia last night so this time by Browning is very impressive and especially from the outside lane.

Rohan Browning 10.17 0.8
Jake Doran 10.33
Joshua Clarke 10.36⁣ ⁣

Jack Hale was DQ’d from the race.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1227876216754978816

I'll cheer heartily when Rohan can do a tenth better in the same conditions. When they can gather basically zero wind 10.0s together several times in a season they'll be semi final chances in world competition.
Finding that extra 1% is crucial I think. I'm pretty sure Doran, Clark, etc can't get there.
To my mind John Gikas is our next sub 10.20 sprinter - he was closing fast on Doran who anchored the "A" relay team

mastermulti

Master
W/L:
here is a youtube of Australian all schools from 3 years ago. John Gikas 17, seen here annihilating Doran before taking a year or so off.

much better top end than Doran I think. And John has run a 200 a zero wind 20.66 just 2 weeks ago (20.43 with a +3.0 2 years ago) so he's my
man to watch for the next few grand prix meets.
He has the most upside outside of our top 2 IMO

white lightning

Hall of Famer
W/L:
here is a youtube of Australian all schools from 3 years ago. John Gikas 17, seen here annihilating Doran before taking a year or so off.

much better top end than Doran I think. And John has run a 200 a zero wind 20.66 just 2 weeks ago (20.43 with a +3.0 2 years ago) so he's my
man to watch for the next few grand prix meets.
He has the most upside outside of our top 2 IMO

Yes I agree he has alot of potential. The announcers in Australia keep talking about him being a 200/400 guy but I think that's a mistake. Even though Gikas can
run a very nice 400 meters, his potential is more over 100 & 200 meters in my honest opinion. So yes I agree with you mate. A little disapointed in Doran and the fact
that he seems stuck in quick sand in the low 10.30's. Clarke is always hurt like you said. Just bad luck in that aspect as he has amazing talent. Maybe more yoga and
stretching to help avoid some of the injuries.

I felt like Rohan Browning let up as he had no competition. Browning and Hale need each other to push each other to their potential. It's still a shame that Trae Brown
went to Rugby. Still hoping for something special yet to come in this olympic year. I do know Browning is gonna run in Europe. I imagine Hale will also. Just hope they
don't burn themselves out. They have no choice though unless either one or both of them can get a legal 10.05 to qualify for the Australian Olympic Team in the individual
100 meters event. Let's hope they get it done Positive vibes mate! :)

mastermulti

Master
Yes I agree he has alot of potential. The announcers in Australia keep talking about him being a 200/400 guy but I think that's a mistake. Even though Gikas can
run a very nice 400 meters, his potential is more over 100 & 200 meters in my honest opinion. So yes I agree with you mate. A little disapointed in Doran and the fact
that he seems stuck in quick sand in the low 10.30's. Clarke is always hurt like you said. Just bad luck in that aspect as he has amazing talent. Maybe more yoga and
stretching to help avoid some of the injuries.

I felt like Rohan Browning let up as he had no competition. Browning and Hale need each other to push each other to their potential. It's still a shame that Trae Brown
went to Rugby. Still hoping for something special yet to come in this olympic year. I do know Browning is gonna run in Europe. I imagine Hale will also. Just hope they
don't burn themselves out. They have no choice though unless either one or both of them can get a legal 10.05 to qualify for the Australian Olympic Team in the individual
100 meters event. Let's hope they get it done Positive vibes mate! :)

Trae Williams - and here he is at 16 both attacking and defending in rugby - enjoy

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
20yr old Armand Duplantis with another WR, 6.18m (20ft-3¼) in the Pole Vault. This time in Glasgow.
Kristoffer Hari with another Danish NR in the 60m, 6.62 in Arkansas.

Last edited:

Texas Flash

Yup. Only second time to run an indoor 200 so I think he learned a bit from last time. Plus only event he did. In the next couple weeks with conference and nationals I think we’re gonna see his times come down quite a bit.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Silvan Wicki of Switzerland improved his PB from 6.73 to 6.62 today.

25 year old Silvan Wicki could be set for a huge year. That is an amazing jump in time over 60 meters.

Wicki has a life time personal bests of 10.17 and 20.60! He is just entering his peak years. He ran a 10.19 last summer. Let's see if he can get a few
sub 10.10's this year. That would be great. Excited to see what he does outdoors. This is him running a his personal best for 2nd place 10.14 two years ago.

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
25 year old Silvan Wicki could be set for a huge year. That is an amazing jump in time over 60 meters.

Wicki has a life time personal bests of 10.17 and 20.60! He is just entering his peak years. He ran a 10.19 last summer. Let's see if he can get a few
sub 10.10's this year. That would be great. Excited to see what he does outdoors. This is him running a slightly windy 10.14 two years ago.

That race was actually LEGAL (1.1 wind). He ran 10.17 just behind the winner according to his IAAF profile. It's his PB and was done mid-2018 when he was 23 and some months old.

He apparently turned 25 just this week so hopefully that indicates some very good years ahead.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Trey Cunningham of Florida State ran 7.51 in the 60mH this weekend. That makes him =#7 NCAA all time.
The former high school star is now a junior. I expect him to be a force outdoors this season.

Meanwhile Mary Beth Price (Sant) made the 60m finals at UST&F Championships, and ran 7.25. A nice comeback for the former high school star.
Let's see what she does outdoors this year.

Shadowlight

Master
Not much to cheer for at all in the UST&F Indoors ( see above post) but two 23 year old athletes deserve a blurb.

Maine native Kate Hall placed second in the long jump with a 21' 111/2" jump.

Eric Fogltanz ( Iowa State) placed third in the 400 meters with a 46.40 time.

The USA team heading for Japan this summer looks to be overwhelmingly black.

60 M Hurdler Chad Zallow just missed out on the medal placing fourth.

Last edited:

sprintstar

Mentor
SL the US teams are always 90% black on their t&f teams...even the women's high jumpers are mostly black for the US

sprintstar

Mentor
Interesting that we are happy when MB Price runs 7.25 60m but not so much when Hannah Cunliffe's first 60m in a few years is a 7.30 even with a false start in that race. I guess if Hannah was with "our" guys and didnt care so much about flaunting her body on social media we would cheer her on more. At 24 y old now she needs to get her shyte together...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tampere (Finland), 15-16.2.2020 -National Championships-
Indoor
Men
60m (15) 1 Samuli Samuelsson 6.80; 2 Samuel Purola 6.83; in heats: Rikku Illukka 6.83 1h1
200m (16) 1 Samuel Purola 20.85; 2 Oskari Lehtonen 21.36

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sankt Peterburg (Russia), 17.2.2020 -Alekseyev Memorial-
Indoor
Men
60m 1 Dmitriy Lopin 6.69; 2 Ruslan Perestyuk 6.77; 3 Nikita Chaban 6.80 (6.76 1h1); in heats: Kirill Chernukhin 6.79 2h1
500m h3 1 Mikhail Filatov 1.03.04; 2 Yegor Filippov 1.03.41
60mh 1 Konstantin Shabanov 7.66; 2 Oleg Spiridonov 7.88; 3 Sergey Solodov 7.88; 4 Filipp Shabanov 7.91
HJ 1 Mikhail Akimenko 2.25; 2 Semyon Pozdnyakov 2.19; 3 Nikita Urbanov 2.15; 4 Denis Fedorenkov 2.15
PV 1 Timur Morgunov 5.65; 2 Ilya Prosvirin 5.45; 3 Dmitriy Zhelyabin 5.45
Women
60m 1 Krisztina Makarenko 7.15; 2 Alisa Ivanova 7.43 7.39 (1h2); 3 Anastasiya Grigoryeva 7.46
500m 1 Alina Kotova 1.10.68; 2 Polina Kondrashova 1.11.48

I post this to have you guys take a look at that time by Krisztina Makarenko. She ran a 7.15 for the win. That is so damn fast! New name to watch out of Russia.