2019 New England Patriots

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
You dont think Calvin Munson makes the roster? He was running with the twos last game

NE usually keeps no more than 5 LB’s. Hightower, Van Noy, and Collins are locks. Bentley and Roberts are almost locks. If NE keeps more than 5, that leaves Munson fighting with core special teams LB, Brandon King. King is a converted safety (now a LB) who’s made the opening day roster the last three seasons. Unfortunately, I think Munson misses out...I hope I’m wrong.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
WR Demaryius Thomas was activated off the PUP list and is now practicing with the team. I think there's a good chance he'll make the team. The reason is because a player can't be "activated" from the summer PUP list, practice with the team, and then be put back on the PUP list for the start of the regular season. Unless he looks terrible in practice, he should make the final 53. At this point, even if the team keeps seven (7) WR's, Berrios could still miss out.

Edelman, Gordon, Harry, and Slater are locks. Thomas and Meyers are near locks. So the team would need to choose Berrios over Dorsett and Harris. Certainly possible, but he's not in a good position.

The other white WR, Gunner Olszewski, has no chance.

If Berrios misses out, it's difficult to know how many white players will make the team. QB Brian Hoyer could be cut, as could any of the white TE's (aside from LaCosse), and a some reserve OL (Skipper, Ferentz, Croston).

Gone are the glory days of a Edelman-Admendola-Hogan WR Corps, but at the very least, having Gordon-Thomas-Harry could free up even more space for Edelman to dominate.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Blasian Patrick Chung was booked for cocaine possession in late July, I have no idea how this will affect the 53 man roster when training camp breaks. Maybe Nate Ebner will get some deep reserve work as a true safety, or maybe a bubble boy makes the roster who would have been cut breaking camp. I do know this Chung will be suspended at some point by NFL front office......https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9906/patrick-chung

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The other white WR, Gunner Olszewski, has no chance.

Perhaps I spoke too soon! Gunner has been great in the return game. Against the Panthers a few days ago, he had 4 punt returns for 64 yards, including this 28-yarder...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1jDlo_nMS1/?igshid=10lbtayv0ulvf

It would be nice to see the Pats keep him on the 53 to keep Edelman (an old War Horse, but still the best player on the team other than Brady) out of harm’s way as a punt returner.

Gunner played cornerback in college and is attempting to become a WR/KR/PR and special teams cover guy. At this point, I’d say he has a better chance to make the team than does Berrios due to his versatility. I’d love to see them both at least make the PS.

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Nice punt return!

Just curious ...How good are the back up Cornerbacks for the Patriots ? Keion Crossen? Obi Melifonwu (6'- 4" 221..Not a Safety?) ; Ken Webster(nothing special at Ole Miss)? Joejuan Williams?

I'm not at practice ; but would like to see Gunner in the Cornerback drills with them. He played in the same conference as Adam Thielen in college; he just might surprise some!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Pats just released WR Maurice Harris. If they keep seven (7), Berrios and Olszewski have one less negro to worry about. Unless Dorsett is cut, this seems like the most likely WR corps. If this happens, it’ll be the first time since 2009 that NE didn’t have at least two (2) white WR’s on their opening day roster...

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Dorsett
Meyers
Slater

With TE Kendricks facing a suspension, experts are predicting that Izzo and LaCosse will be the TE’s who make the team.

Give that the team has Michel, White, and Harris, I’ve heard talk that Burkhead could be traded before the season. He’s ridiculously injured-prone, but he can be a between-the-tackles guy and a pass-catcher and he’s been great in the most critical moments. I think they’ll keep him.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Patriots started just three White players against Carolina yesterday -- Brady and two o-linemen, Thuney and Andrews. They were without Edelman, Devlin is the FB when he plays, and their starting TE should be LaCosse, at least until the saintly Benjamin Watson comes off his four game suspension to start the regular season. But that could be it as far as starters at the beginning of the regular season.

It should be only a matter of time before rookie Chase Winovich starts, and John Simon could possibly see starter's snaps on defense at some point. I'm hoping they keep Calvin Munson as he's always around the ball and could easily be a starter but it would take multiple injuries for him to assume that role on New England.

Pats just released WR Maurice Harris. If they keep seven (7), Berrios and Olszewski have one less negro to worry about. Unless Dorsett is cut, this seems like the most likely WR corps. If this happens, it’ll be the first time since 2009 that NE didn’t have at least two (2) white WR’s on their opening day roster...

Edelman
Gordon
Thomas
Harry
Dorsett
Meyers
Slater

With TE Kendricks facing a suspension, experts are predicting that Izzo and LaCosse will be the TE’s who make the team.

Give that the team has Michel, White, and Harris, I’ve heard talk that Burkhead could be traded before the season. He’s ridiculously injured-prone, but he can be a between-the-tackles guy and a pass-catcher and he’s been great in the most critical moments. I think they’ll keep him.
I havent seen to much of his play during the pre season, but from what I have read from patriots reporters, Demayrious Thomas is not a lock to make the team, neither is Dorsett, has anyone heard or seen different?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I havent seen to much of his play during the pre season, but from what I have read from patriots reporters, Demayrious Thomas is not a lock to make the team, neither is Dorsett, has anyone heard or seen different?

Thomas looked washed up even before his injury issues last year so he's not a lock but might make it based on his reputation and past performance if he gets healthy. I'd say he's 50-50 at this point. Unfortunately Dorsett looks close to being a lock from what I've read and heard. The Patriots announcers were raving about him during the game last night, meantime he's been a big time bust since being drafted in the first round by the Colts.

Berrios was getting bad press at the beginning of camp but has turned it around. I'd call him 50-50 also.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Former U of A Stud Scooby Wright has signed with the Patriots. Excellent move by New England! :)

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Scooby can return to the form that made him such an incredible defender with the Wildcats. First he was snubbed in the draft, and then became perpetually injured followed by, what, lack of confidence?? He has the potential to be Luke Kuechly lite.

I'm not sure Berrios has done enough to earn the roster spot. Dorsett is one of Belichick's favorite special teams players, with ok receiver skills to back it up, so I doubt he gets cut.

Scooby's huge fall in the draft was one of the biggest disappointments that year. I thought he was going to be a second round pick. I hope New England gives him a shot and he takes full advantage of it.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Former U of A Stud Scooby Wright has signed with the Patriots. Excellent move by New England! :)

Nice! Since Calvin Munson now has a decent chance at making the 53-Man roster, perhaps they signed Wright to take his place as the PS LB? I can’t see him making the team with such a stacked (and highly-paid) LB corps and only several days of practice.

It would be awesome to see Winovich, Simon, Munson, and Ebner on the defensive roster this season...albeit none are starters and Ebner doesn’t play defense. If Wright makes the PS, he could be called up one day as well.

NE’s offensive line is 3/5 black, but any injury to the 3 sumo starters (Wynn, Cannon, and Mason) could open the door for OG Ted Karras or OT Dan Skipper, who will presumably be the top reserves.

It seems absurd to think that both Demarious Thomas and Josh Gordon make the team! one guy is washed up and the other has shown no reliability whats over. It would reek of desperation if both made the team even though I dont know why the won the Superbowl with basically the same group of guys last year

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Patriots starting center, David Andrews, has been hospitalized for blood clots in his lungs and reportedly could miss significant time (or the entire season). Terrible news for the former UDFA who's been the starting center for 3-straight Superbowl teams and was likely on the cusp of a huge pay increase from his previous contract. Hopefully, at worst, he's placed on "Short Term IR" and returns midway through the season...

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/andy-hart/report-patriots-c-david-andrews-released-hospital

The only positive here is that all of the backups at center and guard (Karras, Ferentz, Frodholdt, and Croston) are also white. Croston is technically a tackle this season, but made the roster last year as a guard.

Best of luck to Andrews in his recovery...

598a8fe000152.image.jpg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

One sumo was a former 5th round pick and the other was a former 7th. Perhaps they were added with the intent of signing them to the PS. If not, this idiotic move will make the road to a roster spot that much harder for the likes of Dan Skipper, Cole Croston, James Ferentz, and Tyler Gauthier. They’ll probably all be cut.

Brady, Edelman, 2 OL, LaCosse (until Watson returns in Week #5), Burkhead (assuming he isn’t traded), and Winovich/Simon rotating in on defense. Slim pickings compared to the glory years of them winning the SB with an all-white WR corps.

The added bonus of having negro lowlifes such as Micheal Bennett and Josh Gordon as star players and this finally could be the year to stop caring about his team...

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Agreed gentlemen, still a lot to root for. But there is cause for concern.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
They've still got Tom Brady, still hated by the liberal sports media.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
For those two sumo OL (Cunningham and Eluemunor), the Pats gave up 4th and 6th round draft picks. Both will surely make the team and with Andrews possibly missing the season, only TWO (2) white OL (Thuney and Karras) could end up making the team. A far cry from 10 years ago, when the entire OL corps, including all backups, were white.

Perhaps they signed these two fatties due to their good looks?

Jermaine_Eluemunor_%28crop%29_2017.jpg

yqckgiu7mc0fccbfcyie.jpg

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
17 white players made the 53-Man roster for the Patriots this season. It’s a pathetically-low number, but considering there are 2 white WR’s, 1 white RB, 1 white FB, 2 white TE’s, 2 white OLB’s, and a white safety, they’re still far better than most teams. It would’ve been nice if Munson and a few more white OL (3 whites and 5 sumos were kept - David Andrews suddenly going on IR didn’t help) had made the squad, but things could change in the next week and throughout the season. Best case scenario is that Edelman has another 1,000-yard season, Burkhead sees some major PT due to injury, LaCosse has a decent year (400-600 yards), Gunner Olszewski makes some splash plays on special teams, and Winovich and Simon accrue many sacks...

BB428BD8-81A8-44DD-B521-0D41CE0E762A.jpeg

Truthteller

Mentor
Last time (prior to Thursday night) I saw Phil "Scooby" Wright play was last winter for the Arizona Hotshots of the AAF, who basically played in front of High School sized crowds in Tempe. For most of the season he never started and rarely played on defense in the scrub league. And when he did he was used only at linebacker. For most of the truncated season, he was the Hotshots only white defender.

Weird thing is, for the Patriots against the Giants, Wright was significantly bulked up, wearing number #96 and playing D-Line for the Pats. I was surprised to see that he actually recorded 2 sacks in the game. Even though he is a bit older, having bounced around NFL Practice Squads for a while, I wonder if he might be kept around on the P-Squad for a while, to see if he can transition to D-Line? Either way, I think his future is not in the NFL, unfortunately.

Sean89

Mentor
Why did they waste his time ?? Ridiculous, he comes in and couldn't have done anymore. As a Pats fan, I'm really annoyed with some of our moves. O-Line has been trending in the wrong way last few years, Rex not getting touches he should, Braxton getting cut, Gunnar getting cut (even though he was brought back)