2017 U.S. Open

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This has been a surprising tournament through the first two rounds, with many of the top players missing the cut, including McIlroy, Day and Johnson. None of the top 12 or so players on the leaderboard have won a major. Erin Hills, in the middle of Wisconsin farm land, is hosting the event for the first time.

Rickie Fowler has been at or near the lead so far; Patrick Reed is lurking. The media has decided that if they can't have Tiger, Rickie will do. He's always gotten lots of hype beyond his accomplishments on the course, but now the media is all but holding "Go Rickie" signs. (((Alan Shipnuck))) of SI was interviewed yesterday and gushed about how Fowler was the most popular player on the tour, and was the only one who is "loved" by the fans. He then quadrupled down and actually compared Fowler to Arnold Palmer, because of the way he handles himself with fans and the way he lives his life.

I have no idea how Fowler lives his life, but I do know he's all about marketing himself with eager corporations. Palmer of course was a very shrewd businessman, but not until he had proved himself as a top player with multiple majors. And on the course? Blank-faced Fowler is about as emotionless as Retief Goosen, but somehow his exotic background turns that into boundless "charisma." I have nothing against Fowler, but I do against the media, which is why I'll be rooting for him to fall short again in a major. Would be nice to see Patrick Reed break through.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Justin Thomas fires the lowest round in U.S. Open history!!! He just made eagle on the Par-5 18th to shoot a 9 under 63! He bests Johnny Miller's mark of -8! An absolutely fantastic round by Thomas.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
This has been a surprising tournament through the first two rounds, with many of the top players missing the cut, including McIlroy, Day and Johnson. None of the top 12 or so players on the leaderboard have won a major. Erin Hills, in the middle of Wisconsin farm land, is hosting the event for the first time.

Rickie Fowler has been at or near the lead so far; Patrick Reed is lurking. The media has decided that if they can't have Tiger, Rickie will do. He's always gotten lots of hype beyond his accomplishments on the course, but now the media is all but holding "Go Rickie" signs. (((Alan Shipnuck))) of SI was interviewed yesterday and gushed about how Fowler was the most popular player on the tour, and was the only one who is "loved" by the fans. He then quadrupled down and actually compared Fowler to Arnold Palmer, because of the way he handles himself with fans and the way he lives his life.

I have no idea how Fowler lives his life, but I do know he's all about marketing himself with eager corporations. Palmer of course was a very shrewd businessman, but not until he had proved himself as a top player with multiple majors. And on the course? Blank-faced Fowler is about as emotionless as Retief Goosen, but somehow his exotic background turns that into boundless "charisma." I have nothing against Fowler, but I do against the media, which is why I'll be rooting for him to fall short again in a major. Would be nice to see Patrick Reed break through.

I guess I wasn't reading this as close as I should've yesterday, but Shipnuck is blatently lying on this one. Phil Mickelson (I think) still holds the distinction of being the most popular player on tour, with guys like Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, and Matt Kuchar behind him. Bubba Watson is also a very popular player. Fowler is popular, but to say he's the only player who's "loved?" Simply ridiculous and completely wrong.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Brooks Koepka pulls away on the back nine and wins the U.S. Open in convincing fashion, tying the all-time low score for the tournament with -16. Koepka is built like a linebacker and can really pound the ball but also has nice touch around the greens, much like his good friend Dustin Johnson.

The last seven majors have been won by first-time champions, but among those seven are some big names -- Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, Jason Day and Henrik Stenson. Koepka has been considered one of the young guns who might break through; hopefully this launches his career and he becomes a full-fledged star. I believe he's 10th in the world rankings after this win.