2012 Georgia Bulldogs

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...cruiters-wrong/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

AJC article about Merritt Hall, currently #1 on the depth chart at fullback. It's pretty obvious why Hall wasn't recruited by anyone. Everyone knows why, yet can't say it. Oh, and he will not start at fullback for Georgia (unless I am just way off), but it's still a nice thought. Richt has already been gushing about the physique of the freshman afflete they recruited for fullback. I also notice that Michael Bennett is getting absolutely no recognition from the coaches this preseason. I would say his playing time is about to go very low. :frown:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...cruiters-wrong/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

AJC article about Merritt Hall, currently #1 on the depth chart at fullback. It's pretty obvious why Hall wasn't recruited by anyone. Everyone knows why, yet can't say it. Oh, and he will not start at fullback for Georgia (unless I am just way off), but it's still a nice thought. Richt has already been gushing about the physique of the freshman afflete they recruited for fullback. I also notice that Michael Bennett is getting absolutely no recognition from the coaches this preseason. I would say his playing time is about to go very low. :frown:

AA, thanks for posting. I'd read that and was thinking of posting here (too). Hall's outplayed the (overhyped) affletes and has certainly earned that starting nod. He definitely was passed over for having the wrong "skin tone". Someone needs to remind CMR that football (like a street fight) isn't a bodybuilding contest. :icon_rolleyes: BTW, talking about "good looking" players or their physiques sounds kinda Sandusky-esque. :tsk:

Yet another UGA walkon whose lack of offers is just so hard to explain

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blo...ot-like-a-rudy/?cxntfid=blogs_uga_sports_blog

From Conner Norman's high school coach: “I’m not a bit surprised they gave him a scholarship,†said Bill Ballard, who coached Norman at Peachtree Ridge High School. “I’m surprised he didn’t get one before now. His [measurables] were every bit as good as Thomas Brown’s, and I coached both of them. Very similar size, similar body build, both of them real strong, consummate weight-room guys,†he said of Norman and Brown. “And Connor is just as fast. I tried like crazy to get Division I schools to recruit him. I couldn’t even get I-AA schools to offer him. They wouldn’t do it.â€

Thomas Brown was a consensus high school All-American, 4 star recruit, with offers from UGA, LSU and FSU, among others. Incidentally, Brown was a very good player, and a solid citizen, by all accounts. Would have been more offers, but he committed to UGA very early. Conner Norman couldn't pull an offer from Georgia Southern. :suspicious:

Georgia will start a white fullback

Merritt Hall still listed as #1 fullback

I stand corrected. I take back .0001% of the things I said about Mark Richt. I'll bet that the offense goes becomes one back oriented to keep Hall off the field, and very 3-4 wide oriented to keep Arthur Lynch off the field. Otherwise, UGA could have as many as 7 Caucasian Clydesdales on the field at once with Michael Bennett in the game. Heresy!

referendum

Mentor
Do we know whats going on with Chase Vasser. The rivals updated chart for Georgia doesn't have him listed, though maybe rival's software won't allow them to post a white starter on defense in the SEC.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Georgia report

Andrews, Lee, Theus, Lynch, Hall, Bennett, and Murray all on the field at the same time??? Seven white players??? Is it 1975 or something?

Also, Conner Norman started at safety, I think the first white to start a season opener on defense since David Pollack in 2004. Norman is NOT a safety, he's really suited for corner. At least in this instance the caste system allowed a white player to start by moving him away from his natural position. Norman ran a legit 4.39 40 in high school. Bowling Green's (faced Florida yesterday) coach said he only had one player on his roster that could run a 4.4. Norman received no Division 1 offers. Interesting/depressing.

Michael Bennett once again produced a fine performance. His blocking was so good that even the SEC Network morons had to point it out, he managed to catch a 30 yard pass that wasn't even intended for him, and he caught another TD. All of this was possible because the "more athletic" Marlon Brown was injured. They are looking for any possible way to limit Bennett's chances, but he keeps making plays.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
QB Aaron Murray was 15 for 26 w/ 258 yard and 3 TDs...including one to WR Michael Bennett (5 catches for 76 yards). :D

On defense, FS Connor Norman started :)smile:)and made 4 tackles.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Connor Norman makes the most of his opportunity over the next few games. Some DWF/DTF fans are already worried about the secondary "until the starters get back." I think Georgia may be in for a fight at Missouri this week.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
For the (th)UGA BlackDawgs 41-20 win over Mizzou yesterday, QB Aaron Murray was 22 of 35 for 242 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT. WR Michael Bennett had 8 catches for 79 yards (+ he missed 3 passes and had a big gainer called back for OL holding). Freshman PK Marshall Morgan kicked 52 & 41 yard FGs.

On defense, FS Connor Norman started & made 6 tackles. :smiley: CB Blake Sailors added 3 & LB Kosta Vavlas had 1.

Good game for Georgia's few white players

Saturday was a good night for the few remaining white players on the UGA roster. Facing Florida Atlantic, Aaron Murray went 14-19 for 342 yards, 2 tds, 1 int, and added two rushing tds. Michael Bennett led all receivers with 4 catches for 110 yards, including a 67 yarder for a td. I'm not sure how a white wideout managed to get through and outrun an all black secondary, but it somehow happened. TE Arthur Lynch had an unfortunate fumble, but redeemed himself with a 3 catch performance, including a long td where he displayed great athleticism getting into the endzone; so great that he was initially ruled down inside the 2 before the call was overturned on review. Merritt Hall got no carries and no targets at fullback, but was a blocking machine; Hall and Lynch are big reasons why UGA's freshman running backs are doing so well. They are significant blocking upgrades from the affletes they replaced. UGA briefly had 7 white players in on offense at one point.

Defensively, Chase Vasser saw his first pt of the year after serving a 2 game suspension for a DUI. He didn't start, but came off the bench for 7 total tackles, with 1 for loss. Conner Norman saw his pt at safety evaporate, as "better" athletes returned to the lineup to get burned for big plays.

On the downside, guard Dallas Lee sprained his ankle, and is questionable for this Saturday; of course that means more blackness on the OL. Also, even though Michael Bennett leads the team in receiving, Richt is talking about getting Malcolm Mitchell more chances on offense, where he is not needed. Pretty easy to tell at whose expense those chances will be. I predict that Bennett will virtually disappear over the next three games. Hope I'm wrong on that.

From the article on the front page

“Bennett regularly has fun with the subject of race, frequently joking that his coaches require him to block downfield for the other receivers because he’s white..."

If Michael Bennett keeps on making plays in his limited role, look for Richt to put a gag order on him. He is very bright, and is not afraid to comment about race. He is not an "aw shucks" kind of player, nor is he a showboating wigger. He is also a close friend of Aaron Murray, which makes it a little tougher for Richt to completely eliminate Bennett from the offense (though that effort is underway).

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
AinA, you were right on the money regarding Richt &/or Bob(l)o reducing passes to Bennett in favor of afroletes like Marlon (the) Brown, etc. We'll see if that trend continues against Tennessee.

AinA, you were right on the money regarding Richt &/or Bob(l)o reducing passes to Bennett in favor of afroletes like Marlon (the) Brown, etc. We'll see if that trend continues against Tennessee.

It's really interesting watching this unfold. Bennett didn't get a single look against Tennessee until the final drive of the 1st half, and that was on a scramble. That's the team's leading receiver not even getting a single look by design for an entire half. At one point in the 3rd he had 3 targets for 3 catches, including 2 touchdowns. Despite their best efforts, he extended his statistical lead in catches, yards, and touchdowns. The staff wants soooooo badly for Marlon Brown or Rantavious Wooten or Chris Conley to emerge, but Bennett just keeps on finding the endzone. :laugh:

Meanwhile, UGA is putting up huge numbers on offense, often with 7 white players in the game. Their running game is improved in no small part due to the blocking from Merritt Hall and Arthur Lynch (not to mention Bennett). The DWFs were worried about losing "athleticism" at tight end and fullback. Yeah, whatever.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Last edited:
:angry: Leading receiver, Michael Bennett is lost for the season with a torn ACL. The only small consolation is the comments by the DWFs after the article are almost all positive about Bennett being a good player.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...eorgia-bulldogs-michael-bennett-year-acl-tear

Most of the Georgia boards have been very complimentary of Bennett. A few comments about how it won't be too big of a loss because of depth at wideout, and that's not really untrue. The thing that few realize is that Bennett was key to some of the long runs by the freshman running backs. He's the best blocker at WR since Hines Ward. This injury sucks, but it does save the staff the trouble of having to phase him out, which they were trying very hard to do. :sick:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Damn that is bad news. He was having a great season. Luckily he is only a RS Sophomore so he will have two more years of eligibility.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Most of the Georgia boards have been very complimentary of Bennett. A few comments about how it won't be too big of a loss because of depth at wideout, and that's not really untrue. The thing that few realize is that Bennett was key to some of the long runs by the freshman running backs. He's the best blocker at WR since Hines Ward. This injury sucks, but it does save the staff the trouble of having to phase him out, which they were trying very hard to do. :sick:

....Right, that's why they're getting their backsides handed to them 21-0 in the 1st quarter against South Carolina. :icon_rolleyes:

....Right, that's why they're getting their backsides handed to them 21-0 in the 1st quarter against South Carolina. :icon_rolleyes:

Yep, they missed Bennett, and it showed up early. They tried to get the ball on the perimeter with screens, and the blocking wasn't there, against defensive backs that really aren't all that big. There were also a couple of crucial drops on routes that were often Bennett's. He wouldn't have made a huge difference in this thrashing, but it would have been noticeable.

It's also worth noting that since Georgia got back their suspended players, their defense has not improved. Chase Vasser has looked good. Rambo, Commings and Ogletree have all made some plays, and all have been burned badly. Conner Norman should be angry.

Georgia also showed the folly of putting a sumo at tackle ..... again. Granted, they don't have many other options due to not signing enough linemen, but too many offensive linemen are white. Richt can't bring himself to sign enough for that reason.

Another walkon getting some playing time

White walkon (but I repeat myself) Rhett McGowan had two catches for 26 yards in non-garbage time against Ole Miss. He somehow got open, though he lacks "burst" and "hip swivel", and managed to catch the ball against the 3/4 loose-hipped Ole Miss secondary. McGowan received no scholarship offers coming out of high school (same school as Kris Durham). McGowan will probably get more work this coming week, as super-athlete Marlon Brown (whose upside is limitless, though he is a senior) will be out with a knee injury.

Kosta Vavlas made yet another excellent special teams play, TE Arthur Lynch (not a walkon) had a big catch, though his reps are being cut in favor of a player with more "upside". Walkon fullback Merritt Hall was sidelined with an ankle injury.

As as UGA alum, I have mixed feelings about the production they get out of these white guys. I like seeing the white players, but I know they are second class citizens, who are only there because NOBODY offered them because they are white. Georgia gets quality players without having to use scholarships to get them. These guys compete in the SEC, but couldn't get an offer from a MAC school?

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
Karempelis led all rushers in the spring game with 13 carries for 89 yards. Brendan Douglas, who was listed as a full back on recruiting sites despite 4.4 speed and a 40 inch vertical, is also going to play tail back according to Ritch.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Karempelis led all rushers in the spring game with 13 carries for 89 yards. Brendan Douglas, who was listed as a full back on recruiting sites despite 4.4 speed and a 40 inch vertical, is also going to play tail back according to Ritch.

Wow that's a shocker. Richt might force me to eat my words regarding Karempelis and white players at UGA in general. But I'm willing to bet his caste tendencies will eventually take over.

Wow that's a shocker. Richt might force me to eat my words regarding Karempelis and white players at UGA in general. But I'm willing to bet his caste tendencies will eventually take over.

Go ahead and bet on it to happen sooner rather than later. Karempelis will not get a single non-garbage carry, and might not even get any garbage carries the entire season. Richt is not averse to white players at QB (though his favorite player of all time is D.J. Shockley), FB, TE, and even WR when he runs out of affletes. Forget it at tailback, or on defense. Very strong efforts will be made this August to supplant white starters at receiver, fullback and tight end.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Go ahead and bet on it to happen sooner rather than later. Karempelis will not get a single non-garbage carry, and might not even get any garbage carries the entire season. Richt is not averse to white players at QB (though his favorite player of all time is D.J. Shockley), FB, TE, and even WR when he runs out of affletes. Forget it at tailback, or on defense. Very strong efforts will be made this August to supplant white starters at receiver, fullback and tight end.

I hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you're right. :icon_neutral: CMR isn't at the (tip)top of caste(an) coaches, but he's certainly towards the top. :frown: