2011 World Championships

Also does anyone think Belgium might slip into the silver medal slot past Jamaica in the men's 4x400 relay?

frederic38

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Marek Niit also out in the heats.
But Pavel Maslak, Jonathan Astrand, and 2 Japanese guys made it through.
Also Bruno de Barros from Brazil. Not sure, but I think he is white or hispanic.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Mitchell Watt got 2nd in the LJ.
A good result, but really had thought he would take the gold.
I noticed that after his initial jump, all his other jumps were pretty weak. I wonder if he hurt himself.

mastermulti

Master
Mitchell has slept with his legs in plaster since he arrived in Daegu (calf, achilles problem). Only revealed afterwards so it wouldn't be blown up by the press.

All in all he went well but on TV interview he was really disappointed with silver. It will work up his appetite for London.

They said he'll probably run the 4 x 1 though. That'll be interesting

I just wanted to congradulate South Africa's 4x400 relay team for their silver last night. They used one black South Arfrican but the other 3 were white. I wonder what happened to Oscar Pistorious?

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think the announcers stated that Pistorious looked heavy legged in his semi final. They stated that he might not be accustomed to having to run so hard in multiple rounds, I think his semi final he finished last in a poor 46.X time. So the South African coaches probably felt that the back ups had fresher legs.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Sally Pearson just kicked some ass in the women's 100m Hurdles.
A dominating performance for the Gold medal, and the time - 12.28, makes her the 4th fastest hurdler ever!
And probably the fastest non-PED performer ever.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sally Pearson is incredible. She ran the fastest time in 19 years to win the gold medal in the 100 hurdles! Sally ran a 12.28 with a 1.1. wind. The world record is 12.21 and it is well within reach. She absolutely destroyed the field. I'm so happy for her. Way to go Australia!

One last note. She was going to run the 100 and the 100 hurdles but decided on just the hurdles at the last minute. I would love to see her run a couple 100 races soon to see if she can approach 11 seconds flat.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So many great events today but I really want to congratulate Matt Centrowitz of the USA. What a race to grab the bronze medal. He has one hell of a closing kick. Distance running continues to improve by the year in america. The Kenyans can be beat and I see it happening in London next year.

trackster

Mentor
Hi, guys,

I'm playing catch-up here, having been without power for the past week (hurricane), only able to access Internet at the office. So tragically I missed nearly all the live action! I've tried to catch the news as best as possible. When I get more time, I'll try to check more events, but for now I want to mention:

Jenny Simpson's Gold in the 1500 meters--yeah!!!! In fact, it was a 1-2-3 sweep!! Simpson, Hannah England, and Natalie Rodriguez. This was huge. Plus, poor Morgan Uceny fell down, but she was really the best in the world at the event this year.

Another 1,2,3 sweep in the women's high jump, headed by Anna Chicherova, who looked quite glamorous to boot. I love these women who prove you can be beautiful and athletic simultaneously.

Speaking of which, Ivet Lalova was robbed, running against Pharmalita Cheater.

But no one robs Sally Pearson--you can't say enough about her today. Unreal. No one was remotely close.

As for Christophe, yeah, he blew it in the 100, and he knew it. I suppose he got overexcited when he saw Bolt out. But he redeemed himself in the 200. Next year the Olympic Gold!!!!

foobar75

Master
Excellent observations trackster. Pearson destroyed the field in the 100H. Ditto on Chicherova and the sweep of the high jump. The men swept the javelin and shot put as well, and must give credit to Centrowitz for his bronze in the 1500m.

We have a few more events in closing day tomorrow with medal opportunities. I hope France can at least get a bronze in the men's 4x100 relay.

WL, are you thinking about an article for the front page regarding this year's championships? This is a break-thru performance by White athletes, the best showing in a very long time.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That sounds like a great idea either from me or one of our other track posters.

Sally Pearson almost brought me to tears. She is as dominant a hurdler that I have ever seen in my life! She can and will break the world record by next year. Sally Pearson is so close. No one on earth can touch her when she is on her A Game!

As far as Christophe goes. He was the 4th fastest man on earth over 100 meters and the 3rd fastest man over 200 meters. If you just stop and think about that, it will blow your mind! I would love to hear what Jon Entine has to say about Lemaitre? Entine is an idiot!

Last edited:

foobar75

Master
Christophe and Pearson's accomplishments are starting to sink in now. We keep forgetting he's only 21 years old and not even in his prime yet. This kid truly has the ability to be one of the greatest sprinters of all time. This is no longer a dream, it's now a reality. My goodness, 5 more meters, and he was going to pass Dix!!!

Pearson has now stepped onto another level and she's only 24 years old. Clearly, she's entering her prime and should be the gold favorite in London.

And how about Jesse Williams' gold in the high jump and David Green's win in the 400H? Those were both caste-busting wins for sure.

All of these White athletes left behind a long list of blacks in their wake as they progressed thru their respective heats and finals. Liu Xiang almost won the men's 110H. The myth of African supremacy in sprinting and other running events is being seriously challenged now. We just need more Whites to show some interest in track, that's all. The young kids finally have some role models to look up to.

A note on the Kenyan dominance from 800m and up, I believe this is a distinct advantage of coming from that high-altitude region (Rift Valley?) which borders Ethiopea as well. All the Kenyan and Ethiopean runners come from there and train there, plus the White interest in these events is not what it used to be, so you have this imbalance. There were several races in which it was clearly proven that the East Africans can be challenged and beaten.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great to hear about so many great White performances! That Sally can sure fly! I look forward to reading more positive posts in the future and I appreciate those of you who have been posting regular updates and media links on this and other track threads!

trackster

Mentor
Savinova--yet another attractive Russian--outkicked he-man Caster Semenya in an extremely fast 800 meters to win the gold. There's a clip available at Universal sports.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the race. She really ran an incredible race to beat the shemale. I have said for many years, the russian female athletes are incredible but the men just don't seem to be that special outside of the high jump. There are some young russians coming up though that could help to change things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eIXVjBRxJc

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to give the Polish Mens 4 x 100 Relay Teams a little respect. They lost out on a bronze medal by 1/100th of a second. What a shame. So close to the medal stand. Italy finished in 5th which should give them some confidence going into next year.

4x100 Metres Relay - M Final
04 September 2011 - 21:00Position Lane Team Country Mark React
1 6 Jamaica
(Nesta Carter; Michael Frater; Yohan Blake; Usain Bolt) JAM 37.04 (WR) 0.163
2 8 France
(Teddy Tinmar; Christophe Lemaitre; Yannick Lesourd; Jimmy Vicaut) FRA 38.20 (SB) 0.162
3 1 Saint Kitts and Nevis
(Jason Rogers; Kim Collins; Antoine Adams; Brijesh Lawrence) SKN 38.49 0.169
4 7 Poland
(Pawel Stempel; Dariusz Kuc; Robert Kubaczyk; Kamil Krynski) POL 38.50 0.185
5 2 Italy
(Michael Tumi; Simone Collio; Emanuele Di Gregorio; Fabio Cerutti) ITA 38.96 0.153
6 5 Trinidad and Tobago
(Keston Bledman; Marc Burns; Aaron Armstrong; Richard Thompson) TRI 39.01 0.145
3 Great Britain & N.I.
(Christian Malcolm; Craig Pickering; Marlon Devonish; Harry Aikines-Aryeetey) GBR DNF 0.143
4 United States
(Trell Kimmons; Justin Gatlin; Darvis Patton; Walter Dix) USA DNF 0.139

foobar75

Master
That was very close for the Polish men, I thought they had it! Also, the Ukranian women won bronze in the women's 4x100. The anchor was actually in 5th place, and she tracked down two black runners (GB and Trinidad, I believe) in the last 50m or so, good stuff.

I very much enjoyed these championships. I'm now looking forward to next year in London, where we should see a continuation of this White success , since the great majority of the medal winners were European and they'll be right at home.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I wonder if the B grade Jamaicans under performing will continue in London. I know in Paris the times were slow and years later we found out why when the Balco scandal hit the news. Guys like Frater and Ashmeade underperformed compared to their best times for the season. It allowed other athletes to medal and make the finals.

albinosprint

Mentor
I was away on vacation for most of the WC and had to keep borrowing random peoples computer to check the stats. I haven't had to to crunch the numbers, but white medal count is at its highest since the late 70's. Sally in the 100h is my pick for white athlete of the year. great WC and really can't wait for 2012.