2010 San Francisco 49ers

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
In a surprising move, Mike Singletary is benching supa-QB Troy Smiff and starting the much-maligned Alex Smith for the game against the Seattle Seachickens. It's too bad that Alex has had to endure his entire career on a terrible team such as the niners.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Troy Smiff, Hatie Smiff and that prolific sumo Andre Smiff. The NFL's three Smiffs.....
smiley36.gif

icsept

Master
Troy Smiff named the starter for Sunday's game at the Rams. Smiff did have his career game against the Rams earlier this season, so Singletary is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Hopefully the 49ers season and racist Singletary's job will be lost at the hands of the Rams.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Singletary looked like a guy who only swam laps in the local YMCA pool and was dropped in the middle of lake and forced to swim ashore. He was out of his depth and panicking near the end. Well its back to being some teams linebackers coach...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
You know he had to be awful to be fired with just one game left in the season. There's probably a lot more horror stories other than the obvious one ofclearly being in over his head.

foobar75

Master
Mike Singletary's hiring in the first place is a prime example of the insane affirmative action policies that permeate the NFL. It includes both black coaches and players, of course. He became a decent linebackers coach, and that's where he should've stayed. But the problem is, the sports media in this country immediately starts the chatter as soon as a black guy becomes an assistant coach somewhere, and they never let up until he gets his "long overdue" head coaching opportunity. The latest such example is Leslie Fraizer in MIN.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
FB75, well stated sir! The same scenario holds true for the cache of overhyped "black quarterbacks".

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Of course this is something that has been often discussed, but the situation commented on above by foobar75 is codified in the NFL with the odious "Rooney Rule". Easily the most offensive, frankly ridiculous rule in sports.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The 9ers are looking at another affirmative action coach as a possibility. From Rotoworld:

The Raiders have granted permission for the 49ers to interview OC Hue Jackson for their vacant head coaching job.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh is considered "highly unlikely" to take the
Michigan head coaching job. He's emerged as the 49ers' favorite
instead. Should San Fran switch gears, it's hard to imagine Raiders
owner Al Davis giving up Jackson without a fight. That's where the
whispers of a Tom Cable firing begin to make more sense.
</div>

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Congratulations to the 49ers, who just hired Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach. Aren't they supposed to interview 422 minorities (black) before they can make a hiring decision, according to the Rooney Rule??

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Let's hope Harbaugh isn't a Caste lackey in the NFL. His Stanford teams were White friendly, but because of the school's strict academic requirements, Stanford has always been one of the Whitest major programs.

Harbaugh's brother the Ravens coach is ok at best so far, but Ozzie Newsome is in charge of player personnel in Baltimore.

The hiring of Jim Harbaugh in San Fran, John Elway in Denver, and Gary Kubiak keeping his job in Houston and Tony Sparano likely keeping his in Miami, are all potential positives for the 2011 NFL season.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Obviously an interesting hire, considering the racial makeups of Harbaugh's Stanford teams. I guess it'll remain to be seen whether or not that was entirely Harbaugh's doing, or if it had more to do with Stanford's academic policies. At any rate, an intriguing hire and one to keep any eye on, personnel-wise.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, I'm a little surprised this happened so quickly. I almost figured that once Andrew Luck stayed at Stanford, Harbaugh might stay as well. I guess the pull of the millions was too much. Can't blame him for that, but I do hope he remains fairly White friendly in fairytown USA.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Wow, I'm a little surprised this happened so quickly. I almost figured that once Andrew Luck stayed at Stanford, Harbaugh might stay as well. I guess the pull of the millions was too much. Can't blame him for that, but I do hope he remains fairly White friendly in fairytown USA.

Colonel, I could be wrong here but didn't he have as good money at Stanford?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh was making $1.25 million a year at Stanford. The San Fran deal is 5 years for $25 million. Even though we wasn't in danger of going to the poorhouse, that is still a huge raise.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Harbaugh was making $1.25 million a year at Stanford. The San Fran deal is 5 years for $25 million. Even though we wasn't in danger of going to the poorhouse, that is still a huge raise.

Thanks! I thought a report I read stated he was making close to the deal he just received.

snow

Mentor
Supposedly the boosters at Stanford had something arranged so he was offered around 4 million a year to stay.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, hadn't heard about that, snow. It would be very difficult for most colleges to compete with NFL salaries, although some do. The numbers these men make is ridiculous any way you look at it.

Don Wassall said:
Let's hope Harbaugh isn't a Caste lackey in the NFL.  His Stanford teams were White friendly, but because of the school's strict academic requirements, Stanford has always been one of the Whitest major programs.
<div> </div>
<div>Harbaugh's brother the Ravens coach is ok at best so far, but Ozzie Newsome is in charge of player personnel in Baltimore.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>The hiring of Jim Harbaugh in San Fran, John Elway in Denver, and Gary Kubiak keeping his job in Houston and Tony Sparano likely keeping his in Miami, are all potential positives for the 2011 NFL season.</div>

Stanford has always had academic requirements that other big-time programs did not. This is the case no matter who is Stanford's coach.

Bill Walsh went from Stanford to the 49ers in 1979 and his Super Bowl winners had many white players. Walsh did seem to like intelligent players. Many coaches only give lip service to this idea.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh should be an interesting storyline to follow. Alot of people on other message boards are pushing for Harbaugh to go after afflete Josh Johnson.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I think this is great news for a reason no one has mentioned yet: Toby Gerhart's future in the NFL. Now of course the Vikings used a 2nd round pick on the guy and would not dump him or trade him for peanuts, though the Rams dumped Brian Leonard a 2nd rounder pretty quick. I think in a worst case scenario where Toby falls out of favor in Minnesota, Harbaugh would certainly snatch him up in a heartbeat. Gore is getting up there in RB years and Toby could easily step in and replace his production. Harbough at the worst is a safety net for Toby.