2009 Seattle Seahawks

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Here is a list of all the white athletes that have made the 2009 Seattle Seahawks

QB
Mike Teel
Matt Hasselbeck

RB/FB
Owen Schmitt

WR

TE
John Carlson

G
Max Unger

C
Steve Vallos

OT
Kyle Williams

DL
Nick Reed
Craig Terrill

LB
Will Herring

DB
None

P
Jon Ryan

K
None

LS
Kevin Houser

foobar75

Master
Don't forget about Patrick Kerney. I'm very upset about Brian Russell and Logan Payne getting cut. Still, whether it's 13 or 15 whites on the roster, this is one of the blackest Seattle teams in recent memory. I hope they struggle mightily and caste-clown Jim Mora is out as head coach as soon as possible.

foobar75

Master
Glad to see both Logan Payne and Mike Haas signed to the practice squad. I'm virtually certain that Deion Branch and Nate Burleson will be injured this year, which means both Payne and Haas will very likely see some playing time.

In all fairness, it was a very competitive battle for WR in Seattle this year. While I feel both of these players should've made the team outright, this is still some good news. They could've signed the other two black WRs who were also let go, but they didn't. I imagine if the rosters were 55-56 players, they might have both made it, they appear to be among the last ones cut.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
OT, Brandon Frye (who looks like some kind of mixture), was put on IR because of a neck stinger.

But, in typical sumo-loving Seattle fashion, they sign Damion McIntosh. Guess his race? I do think it's cool that Walter Jones is permanently injured. They will draft a sumo left tackle next year for sure.

What's with all these "transactions" with regard to Kyle Williams?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10949

An inept organization (why still have Seneca as a 2nd stringer among other things).

Edited by: Deadlift

referendum

Mentor
Seahawks O-line is a huge mess with sumos going down right and left. It looks like there are currently two white starters on the line, Kyle Williams (probably until some new sumo can take over) and Max Unger. However, in the Arizona game tomorrow, Steve Vallos will also get some playing time. So, this could mean that the Seahawks will actually have three whites playing on o-line at the same time tomorrow.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Caste whore Jim Mora was fired!! Seattle is going after Pete Carroll

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Goodbye to Mora the caste whore-a! Pete Carroll? Not much better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jim Moron, Jr. I just like writing that lol. Cut out of the same Caste mold as his daddy, and is also from the Bill Cowher school of bravely humiliating White kickers while pandering in an extreme way to black players.

The Seahawks are trying to hire Pete Carroll. He may not be any better than Moron Jr. and Mikey Holmgren were in Seattle, but it's still satisfying whenever one of the most extreme Caste disciples gets his walking papers.

foobar75

Master
Don Wassall said:
Jim Moron, Jr.  I just like writing that lol.  Cut out of the same Caste mold as his daddy, and is also from the Bill Cowher school of bravely humiliating White kickers while pandering in an extreme way to black players. 
<div> </div>
<div>The Seahawks are trying to hire Pete Carroll.  He may not be any better than Moron Jr. and Mikey Holmgren were in Seattle, but it's still satisfying whenever one of the most extreme Caste disciples gets his walking papers.</div>

This is great news, and yes, while there may not be much more improvement with the Carroll hire, it's indeed always good to see clowns like Jim Mora shown the door. In all likelihood, he'll never coach in the NFL again, so that's an additional bonus.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Maybe Carroll will realize his mistake of not recruiting Gerhart as a halfback and draft him and use him as a feature back his first year. You would think this would be a strong possibility after Gerhart ran over his defense's two years in a row (espescially in 08 when USC had 9 defenders that were drafted, 2 in the pro bowl this year and only allowed 1 other 100 yard rusher) but with Carroll it is an unlikely scenario, he would probably be too scared to make such a bold move like that his first year back coaching in the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully Whitehurst will get a legitimate shot to be Matt Hasselbeck's successor. Unfortunately the Seahawks mostly sumo line has allowed Matt to take quite a beating the past few seasons.

Seahawks signed QB Charlie Whitehurst to a two-year, $10 million contract. The shortness of the deal, plus the compensation it took to get Whitehurst, indicates that he has a chance to play right away. Seattle will want to see what it paid so much for sooner than later. Matt Hasselbeck, in a contract year going on age 35, could be pulled early in the season if he isn't exceptional out of the gate. Whitehurst is worth keeping close tabs on in dynasty leagues.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Im glad Whitehurst might be getting a shot, Hasselbeck was a great player but injuries might have finally caught up to him. Who ever the QB is I just hope Hass is on the receiving end of many TDs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. . .

<DIV id=Tixyy style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">
<H1>Seattle's deal for Whitehurst most intriguing QB move of free agency</H1>

<DIV id=Tixyy style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

So far this month, with Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick still sitting tight in Philadelphia, I can't help but notice it's more of a backup quarterback carousel spinning furiously around the NFL. Since free agency opened, Seneca Wallace, David Carr, A.J. Feeley, Jake Delhomme, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Shaun Hill, Jim Sorgi, Rex Grossman and Charlie Whitehurst have all found new homes -- and not a single one will definitively be his team's starter in 2010.

Combine the other nine of those moves, and it still wouldn't be anywhere near as intriguing as the roll of the dice Seattle took by boldly trading for San Diego's Whitehurst in a deal that has boom/bust potential written all over it. Whitehurst was the little-known and even lesser thought of No. 3 quarterback in San Diego, behind starter Philip Rivers and backup Billy Volek. Four years into his NFL career, he's still waiting to throw his first regular-season pass.

But that didn't stop the Seahawks and Cardinals from getting into a bidding war of sorts over him, a war Seattle wound up winning by swapping second-round picks with San Diego (the Bolts make an eye-opening jump from the 60th overall pick to the 40th) and sending the Chargers a third-rounder in 2011. The Seahawks then capped off the stunning turn of events by reportedly awarding the unproven ex-Clemson product a two-year, $8 million contract that includes another $2 million of incentives.

That's a ton to give up for a 27-year-old QB who hasn't started or won a game since 2005. The Seahawks are clearly gambling on Whitehurst being ready to take over for Matt Hasselbeck as the team's No. 1 at some point in 2011, if not late in 2010. Whitehurst's arrival doesn't guarantee that Seattle won't draft a quarterback with one of its two first-round picks in April, but it's safe to assume that's a lot less likely today than it was Wednesday morning.

So what exactly did the Seahawks see in Whitehurst to justify their leap of faith? In regular-season action, he's rushed twice for 13 yards. That's it. In preseason games, he owns a dreary 61.5 passer rating, with five touchdowns and seven interceptions, mostly in mop-up duty. He's got good size (6-foot-4, 220 pounds) and good bloodlines (his father, David Whitehurst, played quarterback for Green Bay and Kansas City from 1977-84), but identifying greatness in the 2006 third-round pick requires a fair amount of projection at this point.

Wanting to know more about Seattle's would-be savior, I called Chargers general manager A.J. Smith Thursday afternoon. I couldn't see him, of course, but Smith certainly sounded like the cat who ate the canary after landing a pretty fair bounty for a player who was only going to get on the field for San Diego if disaster struck. Smith didn't say so, but my read is that he was almost as surprised as anyone by what Seattle was willing to pay for Whitehurst -- both in compensation and contract.

"We just fell into it," Smith said of the trade talks that emerged after San Diego tendered Whitehurst, a restricted free agent, at a third-round level (his original draft slot). "We tendered a third, at a $1.1 million (salary) this year, [thinking] if he returns to us this year, we'll have the same rock and roll band again this season with Rivers, Volek and Whitehurst.

"But now here comes the activity, and it's between Arizona, which had a standard third-round pick, and Seattle. But there's a little bit of a twist because the Seahawks didn't have a three. So I presented a package to them that I thought was attractive to us, and it's accepted. They wanted the player. And that's how it went down." (It feels like the words "lo and behold" should be in that quote somewhere, but I checked, and they're not.)

I asked Smith if he knew of any obvious linkage that tied Whitehurst and new Seattle head coach Pete Carroll together -- other than that both of them spent the past four years in Southern California -- but he had no inside information about the possible cause of the Seahawks' comfort. It came down to scouting, Smith said, and Seattle liked what it saw. Even if there hasn't been much to see of late.

"I think they liked him in Clemson and they tracked him through college and in the preseason," Smith said. "They've done their research and made a judgment. They've looked at his intangibles, his background, where he's been trained, what kind of a guy he is, and what his study habits are. I think that's all positive. I think the only thing missing is the body of work as an NFL player."

No small detail, that. But Smith also revealed that the gap in San Diego between the experienced Volek at No. 2 and Whitehurst at No. 3 wasn't as large as most assumed. Volek somewhat surprisingly re-signed with the Chargers in 2008, blocking the still-not-ready Whitehurst's path to the backup job. But since then, Whitehurst's improvement under the tutelage of offensive-minded head coach Norv Turner has been steady, and some opposing teams were clearly aware of his value. Whitehurst possess an NFL arm, a quick release, and has the requisite brains to handle the most complicated position in the game. That's a pretty good start, especially since game experience is the missing component the Seahawks can most easily rectify.

In many ways, Seattle's gambit echoes the successful move it made nine years ago, when then-Seahawks head coach/general manager Mike Holmgren traded for untested Green Bay backup Hasselbeck, who had yet to make an NFL regular-season start. That one worked out pretty well, and now we'll get to see if history repeats itself in the Pacific Northwest. Come to think of it, Hasselbeck was the son of a former NFL player, too, so Whitehurst has that mojo going for him.

"I'm prejudiced for the guy, because he was our third guy," Smith said. "I think he's going to be a success, and obviously Pete Carroll in Seattle feels the same way. It's a judgment call. But he's a very talented player and he's been a great pro for us. He's a great team guy, and his work ethic and preparation are excellent. Especially for a guy who's not a snap away from playing. We think he's gifted and has all the tools. And he's been in the NFL and with a great program here, with other good quarterbacks.

"I think he's ready for the challenge. He hasn't played in the NFL, due to the circumstances here, but we have to say that about college players coming out in the draft every year. They're getting an outstanding player."

Long term, this may wind up being a steal for Seattle. But until Whitehurst proves himself, it'll be scored as a heck of a coup for Smith and the Chargers. Especially if San Diego lands itself a blue-chip player at No. 40 in April.

"Your words, not mine," Smith said after listening to my instant analysis of the trade. But he was laughing when he said it, and I think I know why.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/19/seahawks-whitehurts/index.html?eref=sihp

Don Wassall said:
Interesting. . .
<div> </div>
<div>
&lt;DIV id=Tixyy style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none"&gt;
&lt;H1&gt;Seattle's deal for Whitehurst most intriguing QB move of free agency&lt;/H1&gt;
&lt;DIV id=Tixyy style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none"&gt;

So far this month, with Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick still sitting tight in Philadelphia, I can't help but notice it's more of a backup quarterback carousel spinning furiously around the NFL. Since free agency opened, Seneca Wallace, David Carr, A.J. Feeley, Jake Delhomme, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Shaun Hill, Jim Sorgi, Rex Grossman and Charlie Whitehurst have all found new homes -- and not a single one will definitively be his team's starter in 2010.

Combine the other nine of those moves, and it still wouldn't be anywhere near as intriguing as the roll of the dice Seattle took by boldly trading for San Diego's Whitehurst in a deal that has boom/bust potential written all over it. Whitehurst was the little-known and even lesser thought of No. 3 quarterback in San Diego, behind starter Philip Rivers and backup Billy Volek. Four years into his NFL career, he's still waiting to throw his first regular-season pass.

But that didn't stop the Seahawks and Cardinals from getting into a bidding war of sorts over him, a war Seattle wound up winning by swapping second-round picks with San Diego (the Bolts make an eye-opening jump from the 60th overall pick to the 40th) and sending the Chargers a third-rounder in 2011. The Seahawks then capped off the stunning turn of events by reportedly awarding the unproven ex-Clemson product a two-year, $8 million contract that includes another $2 million of incentives.

That's a ton to give up for a 27-year-old QB who hasn't started or won a game since 2005. The Seahawks are clearly gambling on Whitehurst being ready to take over for Matt Hasselbeck as the team's No. 1 at some point in 2011, if not late in 2010. Whitehurst's arrival doesn't guarantee that Seattle won't draft a quarterback with one of its two first-round picks in April, but it's safe to assume that's a lot less likely today than it was Wednesday morning.

So what exactly did the Seahawks see in Whitehurst to justify their leap of faith? In regular-season action, he's rushed twice for 13 yards. That's it. In preseason games, he owns a dreary 61.5 passer rating, with five touchdowns and seven interceptions, mostly in mop-up duty. He's got good size (6-foot-4, 220 pounds) and good bloodlines (his father, David Whitehurst, played quarterback for Green Bay and Kansas City from 1977-84), but identifying greatness in the 2006 third-round pick requires a fair amount of projection at this point.

Wanting to know more about Seattle's would-be savior, I called Chargers general manager A.J. Smith Thursday afternoon. I couldn't see him, of course, but Smith certainly sounded like the cat who ate the canary after landing a pretty fair bounty for a player who was only going to get on the field for San Diego if disaster struck. Smith didn't say so, but my read is that he was almost as surprised as anyone by what Seattle was willing to pay for Whitehurst -- both in compensation and contract.

"We just fell into it," Smith said of the trade talks that emerged after San Diego tendered Whitehurst, a restricted free agent, at a third-round level (his original draft slot). "We tendered a third, at a $1.1 million (salary) this year, [thinking] if he returns to us this year, we'll have the same rock and roll band again this season with Rivers, Volek and Whitehurst.

"But now here comes the activity, and it's between Arizona, which had a standard third-round pick, and Seattle. But there's a little bit of a twist because the Seahawks didn't have a three. So I presented a package to them that I thought was attractive to us, and it's accepted. They wanted the player. And that's how it went down." (It feels like the words "lo and behold" should be in that quote somewhere, but I checked, and they're not.)

I asked Smith if he knew of any obvious linkage that tied Whitehurst and new Seattle head coach Pete Carroll together -- other than that both of them spent the past four years in Southern California -- but he had no inside information about the possible cause of the Seahawks' comfort. It came down to scouting, Smith said, and Seattle liked what it saw. Even if there hasn't been much to see of late.

"I think they liked him in Clemson and they tracked him through college and in the preseason," Smith said. "They've done their research and made a judgment. They've looked at his intangibles, his background, where he's been trained, what kind of a guy he is, and what his study habits are. I think that's all positive. I think the only thing missing is the body of work as an NFL player."

No small detail, that. But Smith also revealed that the gap in San Diego between the experienced Volek at No. 2 and Whitehurst at No. 3 wasn't as large as most assumed. Volek somewhat surprisingly re-signed with the Chargers in 2008, blocking the still-not-ready Whitehurst's path to the backup job. But since then, Whitehurst's improvement under the tutelage of offensive-minded head coach Norv Turner has been steady, and some opposing teams were clearly aware of his value. Whitehurst possess an NFL arm, a quick release, and has the requisite brains to handle the most complicated position in the game. That's a pretty good start, especially since game experience is the missing component the Seahawks can most easily rectify.

In many ways, Seattle's gambit echoes the successful move it made nine years ago, when then-Seahawks head coach/general manager Mike Holmgren traded for untested Green Bay backup Hasselbeck, who had yet to make an NFL regular-season start. That one worked out pretty well, and now we'll get to see if history repeats itself in the Pacific Northwest. Come to think of it, Hasselbeck was the son of a former NFL player, too, so Whitehurst has that mojo going for him.

"I'm prejudiced for the guy, because he was our third guy," Smith said. "I think he's going to be a success, and obviously Pete Carroll in Seattle feels the same way. It's a judgment call. But he's a very talented player and he's been a great pro for us. He's a great team guy, and his work ethic and preparation are excellent. Especially for a guy who's not a snap away from playing. We think he's gifted and has all the tools. And he's been in the NFL and with a great program here, with other good quarterbacks.

"I think he's ready for the challenge. He hasn't played in the NFL, due to the circumstances here, but we have to say that about college players coming out in the draft every year. They're getting an outstanding player."

Long term, this may wind up being a steal for Seattle. But until Whitehurst proves himself, it'll be scored as a heck of a coup for Smith and the Chargers. Especially if San Diego lands itself a blue-chip player at No. 40 in April.

"Your words, not mine," Smith said after listening to my instant analysis of the trade. But he was laughing when he said it, and I think I know why.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/19/seahawks-whitehurts/index.html?eref=sihp</div></div></div></div></div>

There were 3 occasions back in the 1960's that I recall where a team traded for a backup QB and made him a starter, none of which worked. The Saints and Broncos in 1967 traded several draft choices for Gary Cuozzo and Steve Tensi respectively.

Cuozzo was beated out in NO by Billy Kilmer and Tensi was well under 50% as a passer in 3 seasons in Denver. In 1968, Paul Brown gave draft choices to Miami for John Stofa. That didn't work either. After that, for a long time, you didn't see teams trade high draft choices for a backup QB even if he seemed to have potential.

A few years ago, Matt Schaub was stuck behind Michael Vick in Atlanta. Upon landing in Houston, Schaub became a competent starter. This reminded me of the above deals in the 60s.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't surprise me if the DWFs vote Walter Jones into the Pro Bowl in 2010 anyway. The last few years of his career he let up one big play after another while the announcers always feigned astonishment, just as they always did/do when the same thing happened to Jonathan Ogden, Bryant McKinney, Orlando Pace, Willie Roaf, Flozelle Adams, etc., etc., ad infinitum:

Seahawks LT Walter Jones announced his retirement from football. A nine-time Pro Bowler, Jones is in the discussion for best offensive tackle in NFL history -- possibly slotting behind Anthony Munoz at No. 2. Standing alongside Steve Largent as the best player in franchise history, Jones was a phenomenal athlete who reportedly allowed just 23 sacks in his entire 12-year career. Mike Holmgren, who had Joe Montana with the 49ers and Brett Favre with the Packers, calls Jones the best offensive player he's ever coached. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer.Edited by: Don Wassall

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I'll give Walter Jones his due, he, for most of his career, has been a solid LT. Rarely though do you ever hear of the outstanding WHITE OT's to play the game. In KC, Willie Roaf is lionized as the greatest LT for the Chefs, and while he was good, he was in his career twilight when he arrived. It's as if the DWF's had completely forgotten the greatness of John Alt just a few years before, with his great size, incredible athleticism, and non-sumo-ness.

foobar75

Master
I rarely praise any black athlete, since most of them get plenty of that from DWFs and the media anyway, with much of it being undeserved hype.

But I have to say, Walter Jones was very good. He's definitely a HOF'er and a top 10 all-time offensive lineman. Although age and injuries definitely caught-up to him the last couple of seasons, he was rock solid in that left tackle position for the better part of a decade. In addition to that 23 sacks allowed in 12 years, I read that only 9 false-start penalties were ever called against him. Compared to today's sumos who are literally false start machines, that's an impressive stat. You can say Jones played more like a white OT, in terms of discipline, strength, and overall talent.

I also remember running into him a couple of times at a local Costco (back when I lived in the Seattle area near Seahawks HQs) and he was a big, imposing man. He was nothing like the flabby, out of shape sumos of today, but very well put together.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
In his last few "on-field" years, Jones' did have a noticeably fat stomach, and he was likely at least 340-pounds. That weight probably contributed immensely to his chronic knee problems.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1230

1230.jpg

Do you think he "let himself go?" He may not have always been sumo-like, but he definitely became one.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
It looks like Carrol is going to let his USC affletes get ever unfair chance to take roster spots away from white players. Ryan Powdrell at FB and Mike Williams one of the biggest busts ever and will probably get a roster spot over Mike Hass.

foobar75

Master
It looks that way, Leonardfan. I think we can put the Blackhawks near the top of the list of teams to root against in 2010.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The Seahawks just picked up QB Mike Reilly, who set tons of records while at Central Washington University. Why the Rams are letting him go, and why they never gave him an opportunity is beyond me, considering how Bulger struggled. Maybe he'll make the practice squad in Seattle and can spend his days throwing balls to Mike Hass
smiley42.gif

<DIV ="hd">
<H1 property="dc:title">Seahawks acquire former CWU QB Reilly</H1>
<DIV ="byline">
<DIV rel="dc:creator">
<DIV of="vcard:VCard">
13 hours, 6 minutes ago
<DIV id=ysp-preview-msg>
<H2>RENTON, Wash. (AP)â€"The Seattle Seahawks have claimed quarterback Mike Reilly off waivers from St. Louis.</H2>
<DIV ="bd">
<DIV id=copy>
<DIV ="_copy 0">

Reilly was a record-setting passer at Central Washington before signing in April 2009 as a rookie free agent with Pittsburgh. He also spent time last year with Green Bay.
<DIV id=sidebar>

He began his college career at Washington State before transferring to Division II CWU in Ellensburg.

In four seasons for the Wildcats, Reilly set virtually every school passing record. He holds the NCAA all-divisions record with at least one touchdown pass in all 46 career games.

Seattle also signed cornerback Marcus Udell and wide receivers Chris Duvalt and Victor James. All had free-agent tryouts at last weekend's minicamp.Edited by: FootballDad