2007 NFL Week 12

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I don't think it needs to be said, but Wes Welker played simply unreal last night. With 5 games remaining, Welker needs to average about 25 yards per game to reach 1,000!

To me, last night seemed like a turning point for white WR's in the NFL. To watch him dominate each week has been the highlight of the season for me personally.

Watch for more Welker-Esque wideouts to emerge and/or get opportunities. The important part about what he's done this season is the fact that every NFL fan/coach/owner/GM/scout is watching the Patriots closely each game...and probably hoping they'll lose.

The funny part is, while I watched Wes Welker play in college a couple years ago, I remember thinking how he'll never have a chance in the NFL (not as a result of his talent, obviously). I figured he'd get cut in training camp before the 1st preseason game. How sickening is that? It's happened 1,000 times to white WR's with much more natural talent that Welker...

God only knows how many of these NCAA stars has fallen by the wayside (future Hall of Famers, 1,000 yrd seasons, Pro-Bowls, etc). So many of these guys could have given me a reason to actually care about football...Edited by: Thrashen

Angelcynn

Guru
I stayed up till 3am last night just to watch Welker and Curtis. Welker really is stealing the show. I was really impressed with AJ Feeley especially after such a bad start to the game. Unfortunatly McNab will remain an Eagles GOD.

guest301

Hall of Famer
TheEnglishman said:
I stayed up till 3am last night just to watch Welker and Curtis. Welker really is stealing the show. I was really impressed with AJ Feeley especially after such a bad start to the game. Unfortunatly McNab will remain an Eagles GOD.

He's not seen as God any more in that town. He's an injury prone albatross that I believe the organization is looking to get rid of next year. The fans for the most part have moved on and wishes he would. When healthy, he's a better than average QB, but not a great one.

What always strikes me about Welker is his toughness. I doubt Moss could take the beating Welker took last night, and takes often on those third-down clutch plays.

James

Cassiodorus said:
Jackson made his first professional-quality long throw; expect it to be played relentlessly in Vikings highlights. Of course the fact that the Vikings D shut down Manning and co. (congratulations to Greenaway on the INT TD return) had nothing to do with the win. Jackson gets the credit for not doing anything incredibly stupid.

Lavoris is the worst QB in Vikings history, period.

David Garrard had a good day too in Jacksonville. 23 for 37 and 296 yards and a TD. He has also thrown 209 passes without an interception, a Jags record as they go to 8-3.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
James said:
Cassiodorus said:
Jackson made his first professional-quality long throw; expect it to be played relentlessly in Vikings highlights. Of course the fact that the Vikings D shut down Manning and co. (congratulations to Greenaway on the INT TD return) had nothing to do with the win. Jackson gets the credit for not doing anything incredibly stupid. Lavoris is the worst QB in Vikings history, period.

David Garrard had a good day too in Jacksonville. 23 for 37 and 296 yards and a TD. He has also thrown 209 passes without an interception, a Jags record as they go to 8-3.

Probably trolling but..... yeah David Garrard is playing good, no question. He plays to his skill level, is careful with the ball, reminds me a bit of Mc Nair when he was younger, or Rodney Peete when he was playing well. Problem is he is at best a decent QB, not the superstar black QB the media is looking for. If Garrard can avoid the hype he might be OK. He is never going to be great but winning QB's don't half to be if the rest of the team is good. Times have changed too. The really good teams get tremendous production out of the Qb spot. A decent QB may not be enough anymore. Good enough for the Jags though.

James said:
Cassiodorus said:
Jackson made his first professional-quality long throw; expect it to be played relentlessly in Vikings highlights. Of course the fact that the Vikings D shut down Manning and co. (congratulations to Greenaway on the INT TD return) had nothing to do with the win. Jackson gets the credit for not doing anything incredibly stupid. Lavoris is the worst QB in Vikings history, period.

I was kidding about Lavoris' performance. He made one decent throw, and managed to hand off successfully. Garrard is reasonably solid, but I wouldn't take it much further than that.

backrow

Hall of Famer
to be honest Garrard doesn't seem to receive as much hype as Young or even Campbell, and is having a better season than either of them.Edited by: backrow

guest301

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
to be honest Garrard doesn't seem to receive as much hype as Young or even Campbell, and is having a better season than either of them.

He does seem to be remarkably below the radar for some reason. Usually the mainstream media overhypes any black QB's success. Why not Garrard?

guest301

Hall of Famer
I'm thinking it is because he was not a well known college QB and was not taken very highly in the draft.

He probably isn't black enough for the media. He's well spoken, lacks the atrocious accent and voice of most black QBs, and worst of all, plays for a small market, relatively young team. In the grand scheme of things, I expect to see a Gerard pop up: the exception, but he's not the rule.

G

The media doesn't like Garrard because he is as BLAND as they come. He
didn't sleep in a bed with his 22 brothers and sisters, wasn't a child
soldier in Liberia, his clothes fit, he walks normally, talks like a white guy
and looks 45 years old. It's kind of a myth that the media likes any black
athlete, they want guys who are complaining, mismatching verbs and
dancing in the endzone. Garrard is the type of guy who has a white wife
and it doesn't bother me because the sistahs' probably considered him a
nerd until he was rich. Also his playing style drop back scramble a little
and throw 8 yard passes to slow wide receivers is not fun to watch.

The media will jump all over him if he gets to a superbowl but in the
meantime he'd better shoot someone if he wants an endorsement.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news-article.aspx?storyid =94693

Gi-15

Mentor
Tartan Pride said:
The media will jump all over him if he gets to a superbowl but in the
meantime he'd better shoot someone if he wants an endorsement.

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
Eli Manning has been getting roasted here in the NY-NJ area from the moment the final gun went off yesterday. I'm talking about nonstop ripping for going on 26 hours now. If the Giants lose to Chicago next week because of a Manning INT he might end up joining Jimmy Hoffa in the end zone of Giants stadium.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Tartan Pride said:
Garrard is the type of guy who has a white wife
and it doesn't bother me because the sistahs' probably considered him a
nerd until he was rich.

Nerd or not , he's a typical Negro. Knocking up white chicks is #1 on their list of priorities.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Yeah Poor Garrard he must feel like the Red headed step child of black QB's when clowns like Jackson get more media hype than him. I believe alot of his neglect has to do with the fact that he was behind the Byron Leftwich love fest. The NFL and media really wanted Leftwich to succeed because of how "tough" and "tenacious" he supposedly was. His heroics and will to play through injury and setbacks were always repeated ad nauseum when he was a fresh commodity in the league. He was their next generation Steve McNair, and when he failed it was basically, and oh there is David Garrard. It may also have something to do with the fact that he will be 30 years old next season, so unless he has the durability of some of the longer lived QB's, he is hitting his stride a little bit late. Plus he is just not very marketable in the NFL mindset as Tartan Pride stated. The NFL actually likes the brash, uncouth, in your face type of player with a thug mentality that they can market as a bad boy. I don't think Garrard will ever be a superstar, but he is a solid QB, much better than the likes of Michael Vick's and Vince Young's that the league have ordained as the saviours and revolutionaries of the game.

Oldscool

Bear Backer - I agree that Garrard is asolid QB. If I am not mistaken, he has not thrown an interception all season. That is pretty remarkable. I don't know much about him but he doesn't seem like a thug or a Chad Johnson. Playing the game the right way is the white way. None of the winning platitudes come from hip hop or from gang sayings.

whiteCB

Master
Great remarks people about why gerrard doesn't recieve any special attention from the media. The media wants T.O.'s and Chad Johnson in your face talking heads. Those are the type of athletes that the media can sell to 12 year old boys and "fat beer gut" jersey wearing men. Gerrard is just too plain and playing in a small market such as J-Ville don't help.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Actually, it seems like the Jags are always the "forgotten team," regardless of who's playing. Now that the infinate Byron Leftwich is history (and playing aweful in Atlanta) I think the media is taking it out on Gerrard.

I'm as anti-caste as a person can be, however, I also noticed through the years that the system can sometimes work both ways. Think about it, "boring" black QB's such as Gerrard (who is actually decent) get little to no attention, while clowns like Vick, Young, Jackson, etc. are media darlings with years to develop. Why? Because they're considered "more exciting."

Edited by: Thrashen

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
I'm as anti-caste as a person can be, however, I also noticed through the years that the system can sometimes work both ways. Think about it, "boring" black QB's such as Gerrard (who is actually decent) get little to no attention, while clowns like Vick, Young, Jackson, etc. are media darlings with years to develop. Why? Because they're considered "more exciting."

Charlie Batch was treated pretty badly in Detroit, I think he's still a back up in Pittsburgh. Batch is boring, he's also very white looking for a black guy, I guess that also disqualifies him for the black QB superstar treatment.

PitBull

Guru
While Gerrard has thrown no interceptions all year, he's also thrown only
9 TD's, which at this point in the season, is really low. If you look at his
stats, he throws far less than other QB's, and most of his passes are dinks
and dunks--very few downfield passes at all.

His lack of TD passes says that he doesn't throw much in the red zone
either--only when the defense is more spread out. That tells you how
much the coaching staff loves his arm.

As far as hype, just wait. The reason all the other black QB's are hyped is
because they have a lot of money in endorsements. If he gets the
endorsement contracts they have, he will be hyped. Its all business--the
hype goes to those who have big endorsement contracts with the
corporations, not necessarily to the best players.Edited by: PitBull

jared

Mentor
Tartan Pride said:
The media doesn't like Garrard because he is as BLAND as they come. He
didn't sleep in a bed with his 22 brothers and sisters, wasn't a child
soldier in Liberia,

I laughed my ass off. Solid post all-around.

bigunreal

Mentor
I seem to recall reading that Garrard was a brash, cocky player, on previous threads here. He certainly ignored Matt Jones even more than Leftwich ever did. I'm sorry, but I despise the almost all-black Jacksonville team so much that I refuse to give Garrard or anyone else any credit for their inexplicable success. How can anyone believe that this team of black sumo linemen on offense and defense, with its cadre of slow, hands of stone WRs and a running game led by short, fat, thug lowlife (he had extensive "character issues" coming into the league) Maurice Jones-Drew, can possibly be that good? In fact, it brings out my usual paranoia about the NFL being all fixed, when I contemplate the success of this team of almost all black players, with its ridiculous coach dressed in his mob-style expensive suits, publicly criticizing Matt Jones and then making him inactive most games. With their boring, unimpressive style, they remind me very much of the all-black Detroit Pistons of the NBA. If Jacksonville continues to win, and especially if they ever win a Super Bowl with their present nearly all-black cast of clowns, then it will make the odds of ever overturning the Caste System (which are already almost insurmountable) that much more unlikely.

Jacksonville ought to be every Caste Football member's least favorite team in the NFL.

While I was working out at the gym I caught some of Mike and Mike on ESPN. One of the guys said something to the effect of "Welker is a great ballplayer, but let's not confuse him with the second coming of T.O." I wonder what that's supposed to mean???

G

I think the current Dolphins are worse than the Jaguars, but it's close. The manager and coach are in pure black supremacy mode, yet the team is 0-11. There were only 3 white starters in the monday night game.

Most frustrating was the Dolphins going back to Ricky Williams of all people, and then when he got hurt, the standard black scrub running back who they produced.

Current NFL doctrine: any black player, any at all, is better than the best white player when it comes to running the ball.