White Boxers in 2008

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Virchis lost? Damn. I thought he was really good. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the fight. So this guy Gomez get the fight of the Vitali and Peter winner?

Sean

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Virchis lost? Damn. I thought he was really good. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the fight. So this guy Gomez get the fight of the Vitali and Peter winner?

Yes.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Good that Inkin won.

I wasn't surprised at the Virchis vs. Gomez result, because Vladimir looked very pale and unhealthy at the weigh-in.

Alexander Alexeev, in my opinion the best cruiserweight, scored an impressive third round TKO over Rob Calloway, who was undefeated in 14 fights and has only lost to heavyweights in the past.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JD I notice on boxrec Alexeev is the third ranked cruiserweight in Russia. Any idea who the two guys ranked ahead of him are?"

Sean

Mentor
JD1986 said:
Good that Inkin won.

I wasn't surprised at the Virchis vs. Gomez result, because Vladimir looked very pale and unhealthy at the weigh-in.

Alexander Alexeev, in my opinion the best cruiserweight, scored an impressive third round TKO over Rob Calloway, who was undefeated in 14 fights and has only lost to heavyweights in the past.

I too heard he was ill. Any info? I'm not too surprised, but VERY disappointed in his loss.

Tokarev and Drozd are the two rated in front of Alexeec on boxrec, but I agree with JD, Alexeev is/will be the best Cruiser in the world soon.
smiley32.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Calloway (the best white American cruiserweight) had only been stopped by hard punching heavyweights (Chagaev and Rahman) and was undefeated at cruiserweight. His last loss was a close one to 6'6, 260lb heavyweight Jameel McCline.

Alexeev is a future champ. Whites will soon hold all the belts at 200lbs.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Hopefull my guy Adamek will beat Cunningham. I think he can as he is better than Wlodarczyk. Also First Arslan lost today by TKO in round 10 to Guillermo JOnes.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I need some of y'alls boxing insights because I don't know much about Abraham, but how do you think he would do against Kelly Pavlik?

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Abraham is good but much smaller than Kelly. I think Kelly would stop him in the middle rounds.

Sean

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
I need some of y'alls boxing insights because I don't know much about Abraham, but how do you think he would do against Kelly Pavlik?

Abraham has one of the most awesome defenses I've seen in a long time. He can take a shot well, can punch, and has the heart of a champion (fighting and winning with a broken jaw against Edison Miranda I). He's also very smart. A fight between Pavlik and Abraham would be tremendous. Pavlik is much bigger, but Abraham has a better defense. I honestly feel it would be a pick 'em fight.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
An Abraham vs Pavlik fight is close but Pavlik has a slight advantage. Pavlik can fight short and long range and has power at both distances. Since Pavlik is bigger than Abraham and outreaches him, Pavlik should win with his powerfull jab alone -if all other things are equal. If a knockout becomes possible for Pavlik it will not come early but rather very late in the fight.

I would still rather see Pavlik send Paul Williams to the hospital than anyone else at the moment. So, after Pavlik is finished tearing apart Hopkins like a hyena, I hope Williams' self-deceit will encourage him to try his luck with Pavlik.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info gentlemen! I hope I get to see the Pavlik-Hopkins fight as well, and a big knockout of Hopkins.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
JD I notice on boxrec Alexeev is the third ranked cruiserweight in Russia. Any idea who the two guys ranked ahead of him are?"

They were ranked ahead of Alexeev because they have more fights and wins.

But it has been updated due to yesterday's result, so Alexeev has now moved ahead of Drozd. But he's MUCH better than Tokarev too, he just needs to fight one of the top cruiserweights and he will be ranked highter.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Overall, September was a good month for white boxers:

- Andreas Kotelnik successfully defended his WBA light welterweight title.
- Pavel Wolak returned with a win
- heavyweights Oleg Maskaev and Shane Cameron defeated black opponents
- Denis Inkin defeated a black fighter, Fulgencio Zuniga, to win the WBO 168 title
- Nicky Cook displayed excellent technical skills in winning the WBO 130 title
- Alexander Alexeev won impressively

There will be bigger, more important fights in the weeks to come.

Vitali Klitschko vs. Sam Peter on Oct 11 and Kelly Pavlik vs. Bernard Hopkins on Oct 18 feature two of the best white fighters against black opponents.

- Arthur Abraham defends his IBF 160 title on Oct 4.
- Lucian Bute defends the IBF 168 title on Oct 24
- Rudy Kraj and G. Fragomeni fight for the WBC Cruiserweight title on Oct 24
- Mikkel Kessler defends the WBA 168 title on Oct 25

Sean

Mentor
It appears Virchis has decided to retire to spend time with his family and run his business. I wish him well, he was a very good fighter.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Vitali VS. Peter in less than two weeks, insane!

The best part about this fight is that Vitali (and the members of CF) are in a win, win situation.

If he wins, that simply means two Klitschko's with HW Belts and yet another staggering blow to the worried caste media / analysts / braindead white fans....If he looses, even if he gets badly KOed, so what? The guy hasnt fought in over four years, so the jock-sniffing boxing experts are probably not expecting much from this aging giant. BUT WE ARE!

Vitali will outwork this fat, slow little turd in 8 rounds. Probably a TKO, as refs rarely allow black fighters to get completely embarressed when fighting a superior white man.

Something tells me we'll have all-white HW champions in a few more days. Good luck, Vitali!

I like Vitali alot. It goes without saying that my ass will be planted in front of the boob tube. However four years is a ridiculous amount of time to be inactive. I see Peter winning by knockout. I hope I am wrong wrong wrong. Believe me when I say I hope I am wrong. Four years is just a ungodly amount of ring rust to shake off. Vitali of 4 years ago stops Peter in 6. Now, I just don't know. Mabye Vitali will surprise me.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: aussieaussie31

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
aussieaussie31 said:
I like Vitali alot. It goes without saying that my ass will be planted in front of the boob tube. However four years is a ridiculous amount of time to be inactive. I see Peter winning by knockout. I hope I am wrong wrong wrong. Believe me when I say I hope I am wrong. Four years is just a ungodly amount of ring rust to shake off. Vitali of 4 years ago stops Peter in 6. Now, I just don't know. Mabye Vitali will surprise me.
smiley5.gif

And he's 37, an age when most fighters are fading.

With his age plus inactivity, it's unlikely he will be nearly as good as he was 4 years ago. However, if he's at least 50% of his former self, he'll stop the overrated black hope.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I know Vitali has been inactive for a while but remember he is even better than Wlad. He probably won't be as good as he was several years ago but if he's in good shape he can dominate. He has a reach advantage and also a stamina advantage over Peter. Peter will not win the fight on points only a knockout.
Anyway I have alot of fate in Vitali. He is the best white heavyweight period. He will not let us down.Edited by: whiteathlete33

JD074

Master
Sean said:
Abraham has one of the most awesome defenses I've seen in a long time.

It's good, but not great. His face was battered and swollen against Elcock and light-punching Ayala, and the limited brawler Miranda had no problem finding holes in his guard- both to the head and the body, and in both fights. Miranda was up at least two rounds to one, if not three to zero, in their rematch, before Abraham's exceptional power abruptly ended the fight. If Pavlik fights a relatively conservative fight from a distance, he'll probably outbox Abraham for a comfortable points win. He's only 5'9" or 5'10", and fights in spurts. That's a bad combination against a tall, long, active fighter like Pavlik. But if Pavlik decides to trade with him... oh boy. That would be dangerous.

No disrespect to Abraham. He's a good fighter, and his KO of Miranda was a thing of beauty. I just think his defense is overrated.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just finished watching HBO telecast of up and coming fighters. Sergio Martinez a Spaniard from Argentina looked spectacular beating blk Buemna, who was a top ten contender at 154 lbs. Kellermen said he is a smaller version of a prime Roy Jones. He is fast, atheletic, and hits with power. A star is re born. I say that because back in 2000 he got beat by Tony Margarito.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Martinez has improved a lot over the years. I'd like to see a rematch between him and Margarito. His win over Bunema was for the interim WBC 154 title. I doubt V Forrest will want to fight him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Sean said:
Abraham has one of the most awesome defenses I've seen in a long time.

It's good, but not great. His face was battered and swollen against Elcock and light-punching Ayala, and the limited brawler Miranda had no problem finding holes in his guard- both to the head and the body, and in both fights. Miranda was up at least two rounds to one, if not three to zero, in their rematch, before Abraham's exceptional power abruptly ended the fight. If Pavlik fights a relatively conservative fight from a distance, he'll probably outbox Abraham for a comfortable points win. He's only 5'9" or 5'10", and fights in spurts. That's a bad combination against a tall, long, active fighter like Pavlik. But if Pavlik decides to trade with him... oh boy. That would be dangerous.

No disrespect to Abraham. He's a good fighter, and his KO of Miranda was a thing of beauty. I just think his defense is overrated.

Jd, Abraham was toying with Miranda. Abraham's skills are top notch. I too thought Miranda was dominating but I soon learned he was just toying with Miranda.