White Boxers in 2008

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
shawn1262231 said:
It says here that Sam Peter is considering either Travis Walker or JD Chapman as possible opponents. [url]http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200804 14/SPORTS/804140323[/url] What to you think of Chapman's chances against Peter?

Sam Peter is overrated by many, but JD Chapman would have little chance against him at this point. Chapman hasn't fought strong enough opposition to prepare himself for such an opponent. Travis Walker might have a slightly better chance against the Nigerian, if he can land some good uppercuts like McCline did.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Chapman has fought low end competition and its not evident yet if he has the skills to be a force in the division. If Adamek wins he will get a fight with Cunningham. This would give us a chance to get a white champ at cruiserweight.

white is right

Hall of Famer
JD1986 said:
shawn1262231 said:
It says here that Sam Peter is considering either Travis Walker or JD Chapman as possible opponents. [url]http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200804 14/SPORTS/804140323[/url] What to you think of Chapman's chances against Peter?

Sam Peter is overrated by many, but JD Chapman would have little chance against him at this point. Chapman hasn't fought strong enough opposition to prepare himself for such an opponent. Travis Walker might have a slightly better chance against the Nigerian, if he can land some good uppercuts like McCline did.
Walker has been tested(to a point). But is that all the fat ass can drag up? Since when does a champion fight untested prospects? I hope he either fights Vitali or fights the winner of Gomez vs Virchis next.

JD074

Master
whiteathlete33 said:
I hear Kessler is possibly moving up to light heavyweight to fight for the vacant title.

That was one rumor. Now he wants to fight Mundine for a SMW alphabet title. He's Mundine's mandatory challenger. But I could definitely see him moving up to LHW in a couple of years. Most of the top fighters in that division are getting up in years, so it should be a wide open division pretty soon. Edited by: JD074

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
We went 2-0 in caste matches today.

Zsoldt Erdei beat a black American by unanimous decision to keep his WBO light heavyweight belt.

Sergie Dzindziruk successfully defended his WBO junior middleweight belt and heavyweight Dennis Boytsov also won over black American Robert Hawkins.

Last night Andrey Tsurkan beat a white Hispanic to get in line for a shot at a belt at 154.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
April has been a much better month than March for white fighters! The most important caste fight was won: Calzaghe vs. Hopkins. There was really only one major loss for a white fighter, Woods vs. Tarver.

Four successful world title fights and one successful title eliminator over non-whites:

- Molitor defeated Beltran (IBF title)
- Adamek defeated Bell (eliminator)
- Diaconu defeated Henry (interim WBC title)
- Calzaghe defeated Hopkins (Ring champion)
- Erdei defeated Abron (WBO title)

And young up-and-coming white heavyweight Boytsov (dominant decision) was successful against journeyman/fringe contender Robert Hawkins.

In May we have Froch vs. Berrio, Arthur vs. Guzman, Hatton vs. Lazcano, Valuev vs. Chagaev II, Sidorenko vs. Moreno, and Malignaggi vs. N'Dou II. Young white heavyweights Dimitrenko, Pianeta, and Marrone are scheduled as well.

Edited by: JD1986

white is right

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
We went 2-0 in caste matches today.

Zsoldt Erdei beat a black American by unanimous decision to keep his WBO light heavyweight belt.

Sergie Dzindziruk successfully defended his WBO junior middleweight belt and heavyweight Dennis Boytsov also won over black American Robert Hawkins.

Last night Andrey Tsurkan beat a white Hispanic to get in line for a shot at a belt at 154.
I saw the Tsurkan fight last night and his opponent who bills himself as the new Arturo Gatti, should retire soon. The kid is only 25 years old and is already slurring....
smiley11.gif
The fight itself is a poor mans version of Gatti vs Ward(just like it was advertised as).

JD074

Master
Here are nine rounds of the Dzinziruk-Konecny fight. Rounds 6-8 were pulled, unfortunately:

[url]http://www.boxingvideosonline.com/2008/04/sergiy-dzinziruk-v s-lukas-konecny.html[/url]

I scored those nine rounds 6-3 for Konecny. 5-4 would've been fine, too. There were times when Dzinziruk out-worked him, especially early in the rounds (it took Konecny a little while to get going in each round,) but I thought Konecny landed the harder shots. Maybe I'm being hard on Dzinziruk. I've wanted to see him fight for so long, and heard really good things about him. I'm pretty disappointed. Of course, it's hard for any fighter to live up to such expectations. He's basic, good hand speed, very active with the left hand, no head movement, hittable, not a lot of power. His biggest problem is clearly lack of power.With his height, reach, and hand speed, he would be phenomenal if he hit harder. Oh well. I would still like to see him fight someone like Forrest, Alcine, perhaps Phillips would be a good choice, strategically speaking. If he moves his feet more, and stays out of exchanges, he'll still be dangerous at 154 pounds. Edited by: JD074

G

Hey in case you missed it another white fighter won/kept his cruiserweight championship belt. Arslan beat "ding a ling" Wilson(black fighter)! The month of May picks up where April left off.
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Arslan is an ethnic Turk. He has an interesting story. He took up boxing late and didn't turn pro until he was 27. He is now 37 and is a young 37. He is Caucasoid, but it can be debated whether he is white. Anyway he clearly dominated another street Black American. I can see the word on the street "Them white boys in Germany sure is tough"....
smiley2.gif
Edited by: white is right

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I was furious over those few loses. Peter beating Maskaev and Woods losing as well. What stress and aggravation. However Peter is a bum and its only a matter of time he loses his title. I really hope he fights Vitali becase Vitali will destroy him. Cruiserweight division looks good for us. I can see Adamek beating Cunningham. Its loaded with great talent like Wlodarczyk, Adamek, and Tokarev. I think whites should get some titles in cruiserweight division soon. Im also really high on Povetkin and Dimitrenko. I think these two guys are monsters. Watch out Klitschko. I think these guys have the talent to beat you.

G

Man, black fighters have been very charitable by letting "whites boys beat them" in April and now May. What is the world coming to!
smiley36.gif

Thank WIS for the bio info on Arslan. I will consider him white as I do Oscar.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
White fighters had a good weekend, but they were mostly fighting each other. In a caste matchup on the 17th, cruiserweight Enad Licana KOed his African-American opponent.

In the coming weekend, we have Hatton and Malignaggi in action. Then two very interesting heavyweight fights on the last May weekend:

May 30: Konstantin Airich (9-0, age 29, BoxRec #127) vs. Danny Williams] (38-6, age 34, BoxRec #18)

May 31: Taras Bidenko (25-2, age 28, BoxRec #36) vs. Michael Sprott (30-11, age 33, BoxRec #15)

This is a good opportunity for Airich and Bidenko to move up in the various rankings, by defeating an established heavyweight.Edited by: JD1986

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Is Bidenko any good? Anyone know what is going on with Timor Ibragimov and Vadem Tokarev? I really like this guy Tokarev. I know he lost to Huck but I think he can be something special in the cruiserweight division.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Is Bidenko any good? Anyone know what is going on with Timor Ibragimov and Vadem Tokarev? I really like this guy Tokarev. I know he lost to Huck but I think he can be something special in the cruiserweight division.

Bidenko has excellent boxing skills, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of power. He may just be gunshy after the brutal KO from Virchis - before that fight, he won more often by stoppage.

I've been wondering about Timor, but I haven't been able to find any information on what he's doing now.

Tokarev hasn't fought since October, and isn't scheduled yet this year. He's 36, but with all the upcoming opportunities to win a cruiserweight title, he probably wouldn't retire at this stage, unless he has injuries.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Wow Takarev is 36 already. Thats a bit old but he still has a few good years left in him. Cruiserweight should be interesting in the upcoming months.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Strong Airich loses to Danny Williams
Öner throws in the towel in round 7; Herbie Hide defends his WBC international title

For Immediate Release
Dramatic ring battle in Bilbao! German interim champion Konstantin Airich showed a great fight against odds-on favourite Danny Williams though he couldn't beat the British titleholder in front of 2,000 Spanish fans at the Pabellon deportivo Asesarre. Airich dropped Williams to the canvas three times - twice in round 3, one more time in round 4 - but couldn't finish off his experienced opponent who came back to take home the victory.
Williams was repeatedly warned by referee Alfredo Garcia for throwing low-blows (rounds 2 and 5). Due to the point deductions and knockdowns Williams would have had no chance to win a decision. So he wildly attacked Airich and dropped the 29-year-old German twice in rounds 5 and 6. When Williams started battering Airich again in the 7th it was promoter Ahmet Öner who threw in the towel to protect his fighter from more punishment and a possible hard knockout. It was Konstantin Airich's first loss in 11 pro-fights.
"I'm glad I won the fight", stated Williams who kneeled down and kissed the ring mat after his victory. "It was a real war. I had heard before that Konstantin is a hard puncher but I was really shocked when he hit me in the first couple of rounds. This boy has fists of stone. I think the referee did a bad job and I didn't want that to be decisive in the fight. So in the end I did what I had to do to finish him off."

Is the Bidenko fight going to be online?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Looks like the Bidenko card starts at 6 PMCentral time. I still haven't found an online channel yet.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Heavyweight Konstantin Airich broke his left hand in his seventh round TKO loss to Danny Williams on Friday night in Bilbao, Spain. "I was in awful pain", states Airich, who broke his hand in round three. "I couldn't use my left hand anymore, had to do everything with the right." Airich, who knocked down Williams three times in the bout, will undergo surgery most probably this Monday in Hamburg. "I hope, Konstantin recovers fast", stated promoter Ahmet Öner. "He had a great fight and sent a signal to all European heavyweights. He will be back and he will be even stronger."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It looks like the Bidenko fight is on German TV, so sopcast or something similar should work.