White Boxers in 2008

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Abraham was toying with Miranda. Abraham's skills are top notch. I too thought Miranda was dominating but I soon learned he was just toying with Miranda.

You're right. In the second fight, Miranda hardly landed anything, the punches were being blocked by Abraham's gloves. Abraham said his strategy was to let Miranda tire, then go for the KO.

Sean

Mentor
I still feel Abraham's defense is awesome. Obviously he can be hit, his jaw was broken against Miranda. But, in the fights I've seen, his defense has been elite to say the least. As JD074 said, his face has been bruised and had some swelling, but I think he just is a bruising type (like some fighters cut easily). He really knows how to stop heavy shots from finding their way home.

JD074

Master
Sean said:
As JD074 said, his face has been bruised and had some swelling, but I think he just is a bruising type (like some fighters cut easily).

That's a good point. I thought of that, too. But it's still good evidence that he gets hit often, especially by a lighter puncher like Ayala. I disagree with the other posters that Miranda didn't land punches in the rematch. Total bullsh*t. I just saw it again and he landed plenty of punches, especially body shots. But I've argued with those guys before and it never goes anywhere, so I'll leave it at that. I think the European fighters overly rely on their "shells," without accompanying foot and head movement. That sh*t might work well against limited fighters (although, like you pointed out, Miranda did break his jaw,) but against the elite fighters, they can run into trouble.

Regardless, Abraham is a good fighter, and I wish him the best... except against Pavlik!!
smiley36.gif

Sean

Mentor
JD074 said:
Sean said:
As JD074 said, his face has been bruised and had some swelling, but I think he just is a bruising type (like some fighters cut easily).

That's a good point. I thought of that, too. But it's still good evidence that he gets hit often, especially by a lighter puncher like Ayala. I disagree with the other posters that Miranda didn't land punches in the rematch. Total bullsh*t. I just saw it again and he landed plenty of punches, especially body shots. But I've argued with those guys before and it never goes anywhere, so I'll leave it at that. I think the European fighters overly rely on their "shells," without accompanying foot and head movement. That sh*t might work well against limited fighters (although, like you pointed out, Miranda did break his jaw,) but against the elite fighters, they can run into trouble.

Regardless, Abraham is a good fighter, and I wish him the best... except against Pavlik!!
smiley36.gif

I would just be VERY excited for that fight. I normally don't like it when two white fighters fight, because it's hard to pick who to cheer for, and obviously wishing both guys the best.

However, a fight between Abraham and Pavlik would be one of the greatest fights available today! I wouldn't know who to be for (just like Pavlik or Arthur versus Calzaghe) but it sure would be exciting to watch!

I do see your points on defense JD, but I still feel Abrahams D is awesome, because he stops the big punches (from the most part) from getting through. He will be hit, obviously everyone (except Willie Pep
smiley2.gif
) can be hit. But I've never really seen Arthur take a huge shot. He's taken some big ones, because sometimes they find their way through a defense no matter how good it is, but that's where his good chin takes over. In a fight with Pavlik, I'd give the offensive edge to Pavlik, defensive edge to Abraham, but both guys are capable of giving and taking.
smiley32.gif

Amren.com

Mentor
We would (should) root for Pavlik seeing that he is younger (meaning he probably has a longer career ahead of him), American and undisputably white. Abraham is from Armenia which isn't even in Europe. I don't think Abraham can even speak English.

Amren.com

Mentor
Even if we accept that Abraham is white, Pavlik is American, speaks English, is younger and is a much bigger star. Plus, Pavlik did talk about "white boxers taking over" a few months ago.

Is there anyone on this board that wouldn't root for Pavlik over Abraham?

Sean

Mentor
Amren.com said:
Even if we accept that Abraham is white, Pavlik is American, speaks English, is younger and is a much bigger star. Plus, Pavlik did talk about "white boxers taking over" a few months ago.

Is there anyone on this board that wouldn't root for Pavlik over Abraham?

It's not that I wouldn't root for Pavlik, I just couldn't root against Abraham. I've actually seen more of Arthurs fights. I guess in the end it would be better for breaking up the caste-system if Kelly won, because he is a white American (and thats who all the can't fight jokes are directed at), but I certainly wouldn't cheer for either fighter against the other, as they are two of my favorites. Where a fighter is from doesn't weigh too heavily to me, I just root for white fighters, no matter where they are from, or what language they speak.
smiley32.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
I'd root for Pavlik over Abraham. To the naked eye Abraham isn't white. I even heard fans on some sites after Abraham knocked out Miranda that "he'd knock that whiteboy out" referring to Pavlik. I like Abraham and if he and Kelly fought Pavlik would have to be on alert at all times because Abraham can just explode out of nowhere. Unfortunately Abraham seems to fight in spurts. So I think Pavlik would win a decision (if he doesnt get caught).

Sean

Mentor
shawn1262231 said:
"he'd knock that whiteboy out"

You know it just dawned on me that the boxing media still considers Pavlik white. With the success he's had, I'm surprised they haven't turned him into an indian or mexican yet
smiley36.gif

Its that fact (Pavlik's comments on white fighters, the media acknowledgement of his "whiteness") that would make a Pavlik victory better for boxing. As I said above, I still wouldn't cheer against King Arthur, but I would want the best possible outcome for white fighters, which in this case would be a Pavlik win
smiley16.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I like both Pavlik and Abraham, but if they ever fight, I will be rooting for Pavlik, partly because Abraham hasn't faced the same kind of racism in Germany as Pavlik had had to overcome in America. Kelly's had to be twice as good as a black man to be given the same opportunity.

Partly because of people like Dariusz and Maske, in Europe people know white men CAN fight, and there are no barriers to white men becoming boxers - no assumptions about white fighters being bums.
smiley1.gif

As far as I know, in Europe there's no one like Dan (Arse) Iole, Max Kellerman and Eric Raskin trying to convince people that white men are athletically inferior. Edited by: JD1986

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
JD1986 said:
I like both Pavlik and Abraham, but if they ever fight, I will be rooting for Pavlik.

Same here, JD. Pavlik stands up for whites publicly. That means a lot to me.

Sean

Mentor
I just read that Gregory Drozd will be fighting Herbie Hide in December I believe. Drozd was considered a real talent at cruiserweight, but was then derailed when he was stopped in 5 by Firat Arslan. That being said, Drozd could still be really good. If he can get past Hide (Hide has great power but no chin) then I think his name will be right back in the mix at Cruiserweight.

white is right

Hall of Famer
shawn1262231 said:
I'd root for Pavlik over Abraham. To the naked eye Abraham isn't white. I even heard fans on some sites after Abraham knocked out Miranda that "he'd knock that whiteboy out" referring to Pavlik. I like Abraham and if he and Kelly fought Pavlik would have to be on alert at all times because Abraham can just explode out of nowhere. Unfortunately Abraham seems to fight in spurts. So I think Pavlik would win a decision (if he doesnt get caught).
To the uninitiated Abraham might be viewed as non white, but trust me if he was American he would be viewed as white in the gym by ghetto blacks. Even Mexicans that look virtually white(like Oscar) are viewed as white by ghetto blacks. I just wish Abraham had an American profile so that his fight with Pavlik could get the hype it deserves. It would be viewed as Hagler vs Hearns II. The fight between the two might be as good too. Plus they could both show their highlight reel ko of Miranda to hype the fight....
smiley2.gif

Sean

Mentor
Bute-Andrade is tonight, also featuring Jean Francois Bergeron vs. Domonick Guinn.Edited by: Sean

Blue Devils

Mentor
Aside from the Pavlik loss and the dreadful March we had we've had a very good 2008. Hopefully 2009 will be better.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
15 out of 20 belts so far. We have a chance at holding 18 out of 20 belts in the near future. That would be awesome as it would be 90 percent of champions from middleweight up being white.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
15 out of 20 belts so far. We have a chance at holding 18 out of 20 belts in the near future. That would be awesome as it would be 90 percent of champions from middleweight up being white.

Despite Pavlik's loss, white fighters have gained two world titles in October!

Vitali Klitschko took the WBC heavyweight title from Sam Peter, and Giacobbe Fragomeni won the vacant WBC cruiserweight title.

If Adamek, Macarinelli and Froch win their upcoming title fights, and if Abraham defends successfully, whites have all but two world titles from middleweight up to heavyweight.
Edited by: JD1986

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JD who is Macarinelli facing for the title? I have no idea who Pascal is as well. Isn't he a Haitain fighter?Edited by: whiteathlete33

Sean

Mentor
JD1986 said:
whiteathlete33 said:

Despite Pavlik's loss, white fighters have gained two world titles in October!

Vitali Klitschko took the WBC heavyweight title from Sam Peter, and Giacobbe Fragomeni won the vacant WBC cruiserweight title.

If Adamek, Macarinelli and Pascal win their upcoming title fights, and if Abraham defends successfully, whites have all but two world titles from middleweight up to heavyweight.

JD, if you mean Jean Pascal vs Carl Froch, we want Froch to win. He's a white Englishman, Pascal is Haitian.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
JD who is Macarinelli facing for the title? I have no idea who Pascal is as well. Isn't he a Haitain fighter?
Maccarinelli will be fighting African-American Jonathan Banks, who's quite a nice guy, not a typical trash-talking poor sport. Banks is promoted by the Klitschko's K-2 and is in Wladimir's corner during some of his fights. This fight will probably take place in early December, or whenever Frank Warren finally gets around to scheduling it.

Alexander Alexeev is better than either Maccarinelli or Banks, it's too bad he's not fighting for the vacant title.

Jean Pascal is a black Haitian-Canadian and will be fighting Carl Froch on Dec 6 in England for the WBC title at 168.

The winner of Froch vs. Pascal fight will face the winner of the upcoming HBO Lacy vs. Taylor fight.

Sean

Mentor
Another Italian Heavyweight Gianluca Mandras improved to 5-0 with 3 KO's yesterday with a 1st round Ko.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Wasn't Froch originally scheduled to fight a white for the vacant title? How do Froch's chances look against this guy"

Difficult to say. Pascal is quick and slick, but I don't think his chin is the best, because he's been hurt by clubfighters. Froch has power, but isn't highly technically skilled. The cheers from Froch's hometown crowd may help boost his adrenaline. I'm hoping Froch wins by KO.