White Boxers in 2008

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good news, we are 1-1 in the big fights on the weekend.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Also today, Wladimir Sidorenko lost his WBA bantamweight title to Panamanian Anselmo Moreno.

smiley18.gif

But young cruiserweight Alexander Alexeev won a second round KO victory over Louis Azille!

smiley32.gif

moose

Guru
another good prospect in the cruiserweight division is alexander frenkel, he is only 23 and has a knockout punch

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Here's a look at the world titles as of June 1:

HW: 3 of 4
CW: 0 of 3
LH: 1 of 3
SM: 4 of 4
MW: 4 of 4

So white boxers have 12 of 18 world titles in the larger weight divisions. We'll soon have two more, since white boxers are fighting each other for two vacant titles.

And in the smaller weight divisions we have 6 more with world titles: Sergei Dzidziruk, Andreas Kotelnik, Paulie Malignaggi, Alex Arthur, Steve Molitor and Dmitri Kirillov.

Blue Devils

Mentor
From what I read on ESB Povetkin's next fight will most likely be against Bowe,Golota,Dokiwari or M Grant. Me personally I prefer he fight Riddick Bowe. Hopefully his next fight gets some N American TV coverage.

JD074

Master
Van_Slyke_CF said:
JD: Please send a copy of your post to Jay Leno. He needs instruction on all the great white champions in boxing.

Yeah, he really embarrassed himself with that idiotic joke. "When's the last time you've ever seen two white guys fighting for the heavyweight championship?" Uh, a few months ago, @$$hole. Klitschko v. Ibragimov. What a moron.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
What is going on with Adamek. He was supposed to get his title shot with Cunningham. Now from what I see his next fight is with some C class fighter. Or is this just a tune up fight?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
What is going on with Adamek. He was supposed to get his title shot with Cunningham. Now from what I see his next fight is with some C class fighter. Or is this just a tune up fight?

It's just a tune up - it will be televised on ESPN Friday Night Fights on July 11, so we'll get a chance to see him.
smiley20.gif

His next fight, sometime in the fall, will likely be against Cunningham for the IBF title.

white is right

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Van_Slyke_CF said:
JD: Please send a copy of your post to Jay Leno. He needs instruction on all the great white champions in boxing.

Yeah, he really embarrassed himself with that idiotic joke. "When's the last time you've ever seen two white guys fighting for the heavyweight championship?" Uh, a few months ago, @$$hole. Klitschko v. Ibragimov. What a moron.
I think he stole that joke from a Chris Rock video. Or he could be confused by Russian muslim.....
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
During the month of June saw fewer white fighters in action than usual. The high point of the month for most of us was Abraham's domination of Miranda.
smiley32.gif
The low point was Barrett's TKO over Fields. Kessler and Pavlik had stoppage wins over white opponents.

July looks to have more white boxers in action than most months. The first week alone will have:

Garay vs. Barashian July 3
Pala vs. Akinwande July 4
Vidoz vs. Sam July 4
Sturm vs. Griffin July 5
Boytsov vs. Feliz July 5

Tomasz Adamek (ESPN) and Timor Ibragimov return on July 11.
smiley1.gif

Then, we'll have Wladimir vs. Thompson (HBO) on July 12.
smiley20.gif

On July 19, we'll have Macarinelli and Rees fighting unnamed opponents, as well as Lee vs. Gibbs, Povetkin vs. Sykes and Pianeta vs. Gammer.
smiley32.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
On the Adamek card it's stacked with Polish prospects like Andrzej Fonfara,Mariusz Wach,Piotr Wilczewski. Speaking of Polish prospects Pawel Wolak 21-0(14) is scheduled to fight Ishe Smith on August 1st. I believe it's Shobox or FNFs.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
July was a very good month for white boxers!
smiley32.gif

Wladimir Klitschko, Hugo Garay, and Felix Sturm won their title fights.

Other boxers such as Andy Lee and Ondrej Pala scored important wins in their careers (comeback fight for Lee, and step-up fight for Pala). Zaurbak Baysangurov, Sasha Povetkin, Tomasz Adamek, Denis Boystov and Timor Ibragimov all easily defeated their opponents.

There are not a lot of important fights involving white boxers scheduled for August, except:

Aug 1: Sebastien Demers vs. D. Miranda on ESPN, and Pavel Wolak vs. Ishe Smith on ShoBox

Aug 2: Dmitry Kirilov vs. Vic Darchinyan on Showtime

Aug 30: Nicolay Valuev vs. John Ruiz

In the following months (from September to November) it looks like we'll see almost all the top white fighters in action: Pavlik, Wlad, Povetkin, Calazghe, etc.Edited by: JD1986

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I watched the Demers fight and here's my commentary:

Demers' got hit a few times, but so what. He recovered quickly and held his own. He wasn't bloodied.

Miranda got the 8th Round, but I like what Demers' did in the 9th and I scored the 9th for Demers.

I would say that the 10th was somewhat of a toss up and neither fighter was really in much trouble in that round.

There were some sloppy exchanges throughout the fight, but Demers' was definitely the more locked-in fighter. He stayed active. I think Demers' wasted energy on some of the weak upper-cuts in the latter part of the bout.

There were at least a handful of times where Demers' hit Miranda a few times and could have unleashed a few more strong blows but, instead, Demers' backed away. Does he lack the killer instinct? This is my first time seeing him and his low KO number may indicate this.

I respect a lot of what Demers' did and he showed his fighting spirit when he charged back in the 9th. Bottom line: Demers' controlled the fight and should have won the decision. Demers' used his athleticism and quick head-ducks to avoid taking many shots.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
I respect a lot of what Demers' did and he showed his fighting spirit when he charged back in the 9th. Bottom line: Demers' controlled the fight and should have won the decision. Demers' used his athleticism and quick head-ducks to avoid taking many shots.

I agree - I was surprised that two judges gave Miranda the SD win. I scored it 96-93 for Demers.

Teddy Atlas, the Jewish commentator, sounded very happy that Demers lost on the scorecards, ever though he knew Sebastien deserved to win.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I am no Atlas fan for sure but he did score the fight 95-94 for Demers. I think he was actually happy about the two Canadian judges scoring the fight for Miranda and the American judge scored the fight for the Canadian Demers. I just think that he was suprised that the hometown cooking we see often in boxing didn't happen this time. That being said I scored the fight 95-94 Demers.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
We're now into a very slow three weekends for pro boxing, but Olympic boxing will be on many TV stations and should be interesting. I won't be rooting for any countries including Canada, but I really hope the white athletes do well, regardless of where they're from.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Not much to cheer for from Canada, the Canadian team is a one man gang. As for Atlas he is half Irish(his mother is ethnic Irish) and half Hungarian. He has never stated he is Jewish. Jews tend to state that they are Jews first and whatever nation they originate from second. He also looks Irish and led a float at the St. Patrick's day Parade in NYC(I saw a video of it, it could have been upstate NY too).

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
He has never stated he is Jewish.

In his autobiography, he states his father is a Hungarian Jew, a wealthy doctor who changed his name to "Atlas" after he immigrated to the US. He also said his mother is Irish, but successful Jewish doctors rarely marry a "shiksa" - which means "abomination" in Hebrew - so I doubt it.

I remember reading somewhere that Teddy's real mother was a Jew, but his father remarried to a woman of Irish heritage, who became Teddy's stepmother.

His participating in a St. Patrick's Day parade was just PR. There were a few black and oriental people in the Vancouver parade, but their being there doesn't make them Irish!

smiley24.gif
Atlas doesn't look Irish to me - the Irish are good-looking people, but Teddy is rather ugly!Edited by: JD1986

white is right

Hall of Famer
It looks like you were right I saw this info on a Jewish sports site. I doubt he is a practicing Jew as he married an upstate NY girl. Not too many Jews in the middle of Nowhereville these days. As for his looks having a Rumblefish scar and getting dumpier by the day doesn't add to your sex appeal....
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
We had the 2008 Olympics, but August was a slow month for pro boxing. White boxers had much more success than blacks in the Olympics, winning four gold medals.

In pro boxing, Steve Molitor easily defended his IBF super bantamweight title against Cefirino Labarda on Aug 29.

And on Aug 30, Nicolay Valuev defeated Ruiz for the vacant WBA heavyweight title, so whites still have three of the four world heavyweight titles. White heavyweights Pianeta, Koc, Meehan, and Fedosov scored wins on the same card.

Coming up in September:

SEP 6:
Katsidis vs. Diaz (IBO Lightweight title)
Arthur vs. Cook (WBO super featherweight title)
Maskaev vs. Hawkins

SEP 13:
Kotelnik vs. Kimura (WBA light welterweight title)

SEP 26:
Baysangurov vs. Moore (EBU light middleweight title)

SEP 27:
Virchis vs. Gomez (WBC heavyweight eliminator)
Balszay vs. Inkin (WBO super middleweight title)
Arslan vs. Jones (WBA cruiserweight title)
Cameron vs. Smith

And in October, we'll see Pavlik, Abraham, Bute, and Vitali in action!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I am hoping Vitali can get his skills back from before. Without a doubt if he does he is the best heavyweight out there. He is better than Wlad.